Jump to content
BroadwayJets

D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

Recommended Posts

Fitz had nothing to do with it and Fitz should try to get as much money as he possibly can.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brick has been mulling retirement because he knew he was going to have to take a pay cut..The writing was on the wall.. Had the Jets honored the contract or offer a restructure he would have played.. Don't let the other reports fool you.. This was about Brick not wanting to play on the cheap either here or anywhere..

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kmnj said:

actually he was planing on honoring his contract-he said it himself did he not?

Was this before or after the Concussion movie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

So I guess he didn't want to take a pay cut, huh?

I'm sure it was part of it, but definitely not the only reason.  I'm sure he was contemplating retirement even last season, and as we know, once you start thinking about retirement, you've already made your decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at least this means teams can't use the jets cap situation against them while they're trying to trade wilk, even if they sign fitz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LockeJET said:

Brick has been mulling retirement because he knew he was going to have to take a pay cut..The writing was on the wall.. Had the Jets honored the contract or offer a restructure he would have played.. Don't let the other reports fool you.. This was about Brick not wanting to play on the cheap either here or anywhere..

Bullsh*t. He has never show a greedy bone. This is not in his character.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KRL said:

Too many fans are stupid or incredibly naïve.  Stop trying to spin this that the Jets "blew this situation".  If you

read Brick's article after the movie "Concussion" came out you knew he was considering retirement.  He gave

10 years (never missing a play) to the NFL and now wants to move on.  Stop crying!!!  We'll find a LT in the

draft

Pretty much . good luck to brick it was good run . One of the few 1st round picks to live up to that 10 years cornerstone expectation . 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Cimini. WOW

 

Filed to ESPN: Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson is retiring today after 10 seasons, per sources. Only 32. Completely healthy. A stunner.

Wow. He has to go down as the best offensive lineman in team history. Too bad Rex Ryan wasted so many of his seasons. He deserved a Super Bowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Bullsh*t. He has never show a greedy bone. This is not in his character.

This isn't greed!! He wasn't going to play on the cheap. It wasn't worth it for him..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disgusting how the Jets forced him into retirement by asking him to take a paycut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LockeJET said:

This isn't greed!! He wasn't going to play on the cheap. It wasn't worth it for him..

It wasn't about the pay cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Too many fans are stupid or incredibly naïve.  Stop trying to spin this that the Jets "blew this situation".  If you

read Brick's article after the movie "Concussion" came out you knew he was considering retirement.  He gave

10 years (never missing a play) to the NFL and now wants to move on.  Stop crying!!!  We'll find a LT in the

draft

How many injury reports was brick ever on?

 

I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Nero and starts with the letter Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$hit.  Who's gonna lead "and the home of the Jets" locker room chant?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Brick for everything!!!  And thanks to him for announcing his retirement
BEFORE the draft!!!  Because what really would've stunk is him retiring AFTER the
draft and us not putting a premium on OT's

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bullsh*t. He has never show a greedy bone. This is not in his character.

It's not greed.  He didn't want to play in Seattle or Indianapolis next season for 1/10th of what he was supposed to make next season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

How many injury reports was brick ever on?

 

I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Nero and starts with the letter Z

wanted to get out with his health.  happening more and more and will continue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if the Jets knew he would be retiring... why not sign some of the LT available in FA??

Makes no sense to me.

Okungs contract has almost "ZERO" guaranteed money... why didn't we sign him and drop him next year?

That would give our LT taken in draft a year to get his feet under him!

I think Mac did screw the pooch on this one unless he's moving up in the Draft to take Staley from ND or Decker(Plug and Play types)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure it was part of it, but definitely not the only reason.  I'm sure he was contemplating retirement even last season, and as we know, once you start thinking about retirement, you've already made your decision.

Oh yeah, I agree... it was partially in jest.  In truth, I would not be at all surprised if it was a combination of him considering it anyway, but found it difficult to turn away from over $10 million.  If from there, the options turned into either agreeing to play for a lot less, or possibly picking up and moving on to somewhere else, all while already contemplating retirement, it suddenly makes this kind of decision a lot easier.  In truth, he was probably happy to go out as a career Jet (for whatever reason), and it looks a lot better for both parties than if he ended up getting cut.  Not to mention, players all over the league have certainly been retiring at younger ages in recent years, and I don't blame them for that even in the slightest.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well if the Jets knew he would be retiring... why not sign some of the LT available in FA??

Makes no sense to me.

Okungs contract has almost "ZERO" guaranteed money... why didn't we sign him and drop him next year?

That would give our LT taken in draft a year to get his feet under him!

I think Mac did screw the pooch on this one unless he's moving up in the Draft to take Staley from ND or Decker(Plug and Play types)

Where was the cap space supposed to come from to sign a top LT?  Until we knew for sure Brick was going to retire, that wasn't available to us.  We did go after Beachum, btw, but competing with the Jaguars' cap space was quite difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least this stops us from drafting future bust Qb Paxton Lynch.  Now we are locked on Taylor Decker.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this day and age of concern over concussions and CTE later in life ANY
football player could retire.  Particularly those that are in their 30's,
if you've been observing the league it's been happening more and more

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, incredible news.

 

A great Jet, and seems like a great person off the field.

 

Good Luck Brick!   You did the Green and White proud!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great for him. Hes a good guy I wish him the best.

Now we need to draft a qb round 1 ol round 2 and a lb round 3

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all his contributions to the team and community.  Job well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets wanted Brick to come back at a reduced salary, if he was coming back at all. They were looped in on the whole situation the entire time.

Fitz money has nothing to do with this at all. The Brick contract stuff was completely independent of that. Read an article once in a while.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news:

1) we can get the same production we got from Brick for less than half the cap charge

2) Fitz has good escape ability and doesn't "need" a great o-line .  Not like Brick was really good anyway last season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where was the cap space supposed to come from to sign a top LT?  Until we knew for sure Brick was going to retire, that wasn't available to us.  We did go after Beachum, btw, but competing with the Jaguars' cap space was quite difficult. 

You can come to an agreement with a player and then make the adjustments to free up Cap Space.

Don't you think it ridiculous to be inactive vs. Proactive concerning one of the most important positions on your team??

Especially when you 32 yr. old Starting LT says "I think I might hang them up this yr."

I like MacCagnan, but he dropped the ball on this one.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well if the Jets knew he would be retiring... why not sign some of the LT available in FA??

Makes no sense to me.

Okungs contract has almost "ZERO" guaranteed money... why didn't we sign him and drop him next year?

That would give our LT taken in draft a year to get his feet under him!

I think Mac did screw the pooch on this one unless he's moving up in the Draft to take Staley from ND or Decker(Plug and Play types)

With what money? You are naive and dumb. Logic shows differently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Interesting.

I thought you were overstating his decline a bit but it now seems as though you got it absolutely right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...