D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

Brick has been mulling retirement because he knew he was going to have to take a pay cut..The writing was on the wall.. Had the Jets honored the contract or offer a restructure he would have played.. Don't let the other reports fool you.. This was about Brick not wanting to play on the cheap either here or anywhere..

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

So I guess he didn't want to take a pay cut, huh?

I'm sure it was part of it, but definitely not the only reason.  I'm sure he was contemplating retirement even last season, and as we know, once you start thinking about retirement, you've already made your decision.

Just now, LockeJET said:

Brick has been mulling retirement because he knew he was going to have to take a pay cut..The writing was on the wall.. Had the Jets honored the contract or offer a restructure he would have played.. Don't let the other reports fool you.. This was about Brick not wanting to play on the cheap either here or anywhere..

Bullsh*t. He has never show a greedy bone. This is not in his character.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Too many fans are stupid or incredibly naïve.  Stop trying to spin this that the Jets "blew this situation".  If you

read Brick's article after the movie "Concussion" came out you knew he was considering retirement.  He gave

10 years (never missing a play) to the NFL and now wants to move on.  Stop crying!!!  We'll find a LT in the

draft

Pretty much . good luck to brick it was good run . One of the few 1st round picks to live up to that 10 years cornerstone expectation . 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Cimini. WOW

Filed to ESPN: Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson is retiring today after 10 seasons, per sources. Only 32. Completely healthy. A stunner.

Wow. He has to go down as the best offensive lineman in team history. Too bad Rex Ryan wasted so many of his seasons. He deserved a Super Bowl

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Too many fans are stupid or incredibly naïve.  Stop trying to spin this that the Jets "blew this situation".  If you

read Brick's article after the movie "Concussion" came out you knew he was considering retirement.  He gave

10 years (never missing a play) to the NFL and now wants to move on.  Stop crying!!!  We'll find a LT in the

draft

How many injury reports was brick ever on?

I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Nero and starts with the letter Z

Thanks to Brick for everything!!!  And thanks to him for announcing his retirement
BEFORE the draft!!!  Because what really would've stunk is him retiring AFTER the
draft and us not putting a premium on OT's

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

How many injury reports was brick ever on?

I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Nero and starts with the letter Z

wanted to get out with his health.  happening more and more and will continue

Well if the Jets knew he would be retiring... why not sign some of the LT available in FA??

Makes no sense to me.

Okungs contract has almost "ZERO" guaranteed money... why didn't we sign him and drop him next year?

That would give our LT taken in draft a year to get his feet under him!

I think Mac did screw the pooch on this one unless he's moving up in the Draft to take Staley from ND or Decker(Plug and Play types)

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure it was part of it, but definitely not the only reason.  I'm sure he was contemplating retirement even last season, and as we know, once you start thinking about retirement, you've already made your decision.

Oh yeah, I agree... it was partially in jest.  In truth, I would not be at all surprised if it was a combination of him considering it anyway, but found it difficult to turn away from over $10 million.  If from there, the options turned into either agreeing to play for a lot less, or possibly picking up and moving on to somewhere else, all while already contemplating retirement, it suddenly makes this kind of decision a lot easier.  In truth, he was probably happy to go out as a career Jet (for whatever reason), and it looks a lot better for both parties than if he ended up getting cut.  Not to mention, players all over the league have certainly been retiring at younger ages in recent years, and I don't blame them for that even in the slightest.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well if the Jets knew he would be retiring... why not sign some of the LT available in FA??

Makes no sense to me.

Okungs contract has almost "ZERO" guaranteed money... why didn't we sign him and drop him next year?

I think Mac did screw the pooch on this one unless he's moving up in the Draft to take Staley from ND or Decker(Plug and Play types)

Where was the cap space supposed to come from to sign a top LT?  Until we knew for sure Brick was going to retire, that wasn't available to us.  We did go after Beachum, btw, but competing with the Jaguars' cap space was quite difficult. 

In this day and age of concern over concussions and CTE later in life ANY
football player could retire.  Particularly those that are in their 30's,
if you've been observing the league it's been happening more and more

• Upvote 1

The Jets wanted Brick to come back at a reduced salary, if he was coming back at all. They were looped in on the whole situation the entire time.

Fitz money has nothing to do with this at all. The Brick contract stuff was completely independent of that. Read an article once in a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where was the cap space supposed to come from to sign a top LT?  Until we knew for sure Brick was going to retire, that wasn't available to us.  We did go after Beachum, btw, but competing with the Jaguars' cap space was quite difficult. 

You can come to an agreement with a player and then make the adjustments to free up Cap Space.

Don't you think it ridiculous to be inactive vs. Proactive concerning one of the most important positions on your team??

Especially when you 32 yr. old Starting LT says "I think I might hang them up this yr."

I like MacCagnan, but he dropped the ball on this one.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Makes no sense to me.

With what money? You are naive and dumb. Logic shows differently