D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

There are guys retiring because of concussion but some, like Brick, are using that as a cover.

I love the people who believed the bs about half the 49ers roster retiring after Harbaugh left due to concussions.  Lol it had nothing to do with a great coach being replaced with Ron Jeremy and Mangini.

What the F*** are you talking about?  And the idea of slotting Decker in as our starting LT, a first round pick who is projected to play RT in the pro's? 

WOW.....

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Rich Cimini of ESPN broke the story this morning and multiple sources are reporting that NY Jets left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson is retiring. The Jets had approached Brick about restructuring his contract recently. The team is very low on cap space and this move frees up over 9 million against the cap. Unfortunately it also opens up one of the most important positions on the field at left tackle. Multiple reports are stating that the Jets knew this was a possibility and they have a contingency plan in place. It is hard to replace someone as durable as Brick, he never missed a snap.

The most immediate concern in replacing Brick is the lack of depth on the Jets roster. It is a good bet that the Jets draft focus later this month will revolve in large part around fixing this issue. Brick’s presence in the locker room will also be missed. He has always been a team-first player who is the ultimate professional.

Here are some updates from the media on Twitter.

You can read more about D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s retirement in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
hCsPM2XhwsA

Click here to read the full story...

Its been rumored that Joe Thomas wants to be traded. The Browns stated they do not plan on trading him NOW. But can the Jets pry Joe Thomas away from the Browns with a great offer. Wilk, their 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd? What about Wilk and their 1st? I mean, I know Mac probably would not do that. And who knows if the Browns are willing to trade him at all. But I would make that deal. Wilk is completely expendable right now and Thomas is worth every penny.   

Thoughts? 

Very surprising to me that Brick is hanging it up. To me he still had some in the tank. Good luck Brick on a great after football.

Now the big question becomes, what do we do at LT? As Kelly just mentioned, Ryan Clady is an option for the short term, but personally I would draft an OL. It's not like this wasn't a desired pick to begin with? This should come as no surprise to anyone if the Jets use a 1st rounder on OL.

The guys I figure the Jets could possibly get through the draft:

Taylor Decker - He is well within our reach I figure. Mac could get him at #20 or even possibly the 2nd round?

Jack Conklin - This is the guy I wish Mac would target. But he's pretty well solidified as a top 15 pick. If the Jets trade Mo, and I think they will, they'll likely have a higher 1st rounder and the ammunition to grab Conklin.

Ronnie Stanley - With a higher 1st rounder I figure he could be in play. Stanley likely comes as the highest ranking of the 3. He is likely a top 10 pick, but he could slip.

1 hour ago, BroadwayJets said:

... Ferguson walking away would not blindside the Jets. The veteran left tackle has kept them in the loop throughout.

I guess we can put the "jets forced him to retire" narrative to rest before it starts. 

Also seeing everywhere that the concussion movie really put things into perspective for him.

and shows he's a class act all the way.

one of these guys will be in jets gear next season:

2016 PROSPECT SEARCH RESULTS

NAME COLLEGE POSITION YEAR HEIGHT WEIGHT FORTY POS. RANK
*Laremy Tunsil Ole Miss OT 2016 6-5 310 5.23 1
*Ronnie Stanley Notre Dame OT 2016 6-6 312 5.18 2
*Jack Conklin Michigan State OT 2016 6-6 308 4.98 3
Taylor Decker Ohio State OT 2016 6-7 310 5.16 4
Jason Spriggs Indiana OT 2016 6-6 301 4.87 5
*Germain Ifedi Texas A&M OT 2016 6-6 324 5.25 6
*Shon Coleman Auburn OT 2016 6-5 307 5.18 7
Le'Raven Clark Texas Tech OT 2016 6-5 316 5.10 8
*Jerald Hawkins LSU OT 2016 6-6 305 5.18 9
John Theus Georgia OT 2016 6-6 313 5.15 10
Kyle Murphy Stanford OT 2016 6-6 305 5.19 11
Joe Haeg North Dakota State OT 2016 6-6 304 5.15 12

1 hour ago, mphtrilogy said:

or not, lol

Washington State offensive lineman Joe Dahl is building some momentum for himself and there’s a belief he could land in the second day of the draft. Teams like his athleticism and ability to adjust, something I spoke about during Senior Bowl week, and fee a bit more strength would complete his game. Dahl’s visit and workout schedule is loaded and includes the New York Jets, New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Bucs, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, San Diego Chargers, Minnesota Vikings, Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens and Indianapolis Colts.

think we are looking at multiple OT's this draft, time to re-load for real

ehh... we only have 6 picks... what are we gonna do, blow half of them on random tackles because we're chasing our tail? That's something a sh*tty GM would do... won't change their draft plans much. They're going to acquire a LT here over the next couple days. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Important to note: Jets weren't blindsided by Brick's decision. They have a replacement plan and they're trying to execute it.

Of course they werent blindsided by Brick's decision. I said on this board almost a month ago that the possibility of Brick retiring should be taken into account when they request that paycut. 

This tweet means nothing. 

I just hope we get super lucky like we did with Dbrick and find a good replacement sooner than later.  Finding a LT can be a long painful process.  We for sure need to make a move before the draft or at the draft, i think this increases the chance that mo wilk will be dealt.

Not meant to demean DBrick, but the Jets have had some all time O-linemen. 

I believe Mangold to be better than him just on this line., Not to mention the Joe Schmitts, Kevin Mawaes and Joe Fields of the world, while not forgetting Marvin Powell.

Not meant to cause a deviate, but trust a fact the jets have been blessed at times ay o-line

Winston Hill says 'Hi!' also...

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Dark horse could be Joeckel.. He's a better fit for our O than jax's imo

the problem with Joeckel is that Beachum is still recovering from ACL and might not be ready for OTAs/camp.

as for Brick he was a great player and wish him all the best. We haven't seen the last of him. I bet he runs for office. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Its been rumored that Joe Thomas wants to be traded. The Browns stated they do not plan on trading him NOW. But can the Jets pry Joe Thomas away from the Browns with a great offer. Wilk, their 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd? What about Wilk and their 1st? I mean, I know Mac probably would not do that. And who knows if the Browns are willing to trade him at all. But I would make that deal. Wilk is completely expendable right now and Thomas is worth every penny.   

Thoughts? 

He's 31. I'd give the Browns a hot roast beef sandwich with gravy for him. I'm sure some of the fatties on the forum would say even that is too much.

Jason Spriggs, Shon Coleman, Ifedi, and Clark should all be available when the Jets pick in the second, I believe our first should be used On BPA whether that is Paxton Lynch, Treadwell, Spence, or Floyd.

I just hope we get super lucky like we did with Dbrick and find a good replacement sooner than later.  Finding a LT can be a long painful process.  We for sure need to make a move before the draft or at the draft, i think this increases the chance that mo wilk will be dealt.

In maddenverse, it would benefit both parties for TEN to trade us Lewan for Mo. They need the help on D and can take Tunsil, we need to unload the cap and in turn get a LT.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that guys from the 2006 Draft are at or near retirement age. 

I remember that draft better than any I have ever seen.  It was a real turning point in the franchise IMO.  We had the #4 overall pick, what were we going to do.  What fancy new (explosive) piece would we add.  Then we took a skinny 6'6" dancing bear with Go-Go-Gadget long arms.  And the franchise had done the right thing.  Tannenbaum made the smart pick.  The television pundits for once lauded the pick.  It was a foreign feeling as a Jets fan on Draft Day.

Then at pick #29 the Jets took the pick they traded John Abraham away for and took a Center, Nick Mangold.  The pundits, "The Jets really get it."

We took Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round but, hey, let's not go there.

Brick and Nick were cornerstones for a decade - Bringing stability to two key positions.  Brick was always who he was; a quiet class act, dependable and very good for long time. I can't wish anything but the best for him.

I still giggle when I remember Brick's first TC after Mangini told the rookies not to talk to the media so he literally ran away from Cimini and the other clowns after seeing them...that kid's all grown up and we start looking to replace a guy who will end up in the Ring of Honor. 

6 minutes ago, pointman said:

He's 31. I'd give the Browns a hot roast beef sandwich with gravy for him. I'm sure some of the fatties on the forum would say even that is too much.

Thomas is due 9.5 million this year and is a 9 time Pro Bowl and 6 time All Pro player and some are crying over Bricks retiring after 3 Pro Bowls in 09-10-11:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Thomas is due 9.5 million this year and is a 9 time Pro Bowl and 6 time All Pro player and some are crying over Bricks retiring after 3 Pro Bowls in 09-10-11:rolleyes:

I'm not crying, I'm just misty eyed over a solid guy who played hard for us. The Browns can keep their tired, beat up, leftovers. We'll get our own tackle, thank you very much.

Ducasse, you're up, son!

Archived