D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that guys from the 2006 Draft are at or near retirement age. 

I remember that draft better than any I have ever seen.  It was a real turning point in the franchise IMO.  We had the #4 overall pick, what were we going to do.  What fancy new (explosive) piece would we add.  Then we took a skinny 6'6" dancing bear with Go-Go-Gadget long arms.  And the franchise had done the right thing.  Tannenbaum made the smart pick.  The television pundits for once lauded the pick.  It was a foreign feeling as a Jets fan on Draft Day.

Then at pick #29 the Jets took the pick they traded John Abraham away for, took a Center Nick Mangold.  The pundits, "The Jets really get it."

We took Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round but, hey, let's not go there.

Brick and Nick were cornerstones for a decade - Bringing stability to two key positions.  Brick was always who he was; a quiet class act, dependable and very good for long time. I can't wish anything but the best for him.

I still giggle when I remember Brick's first TC after Mangini told the rookies not to talk to the media so he literally ran away from Cimini and the other clowns after seeing them...that kid's all grown up and we start looking to replace a guy who will end up in the Ring of Honor. 

That was the 1st draft I really followed on a Jets Fan Forum, which makes me feel old.

Everyone hating that Justin Miller ran back a punt, so we lost Reggie Bush and got Brick.   That draft was supposed to be so epic, you could argue Brick had the most value to the team that drafted him out of anyone in the top 10.   Mario Williams, real good, but left the Texas, Bush... meh, Vince Young, bust, AJ Hawk, not much, Vernon Davis, good but not great, Michael Huff, Donte Witner, Ernie Simms, Matt (SAR) Leinart.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pointman said:

I'm not crying, I'm just misty eyed over a solid guy who played hard for us. The Browns can keep their tired, beat up, leftovers. We'll get our own tackle, thank you very much.

Ducasse, you're up, son!

Ducasse was a guard who actually started 11 games for the Bears last season..:)

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Brick

Total class guy.  Never said a bad word, never missed a day of work, you know being in the NFL he played and practiced through a lot of injuries that he never talked about.  I will miss him as a player, and I hope him all the best going forward.

i heard he missed 1 snap in his entire 10 year career and was never listed on the injury report, also that 1 snap was because it was a trick play.

the guy was as reliable of a player as there ever was in the history of the NFL

2 minutes ago, loluchka80 said:

i heard he missed 1 snap in his entire 10 year career and was never listed on the injury report, also that 1 snap was because it was a trick play.

the guy was as reliable of a player as there ever was in the history of the NFL

Joe Thomas has never missed a game either and from his rookie season on has been a Pro Bowl player and a 6 time All Pro as well.. Yea Brick a good player and a good guy but far from the best LT the Jets have ever had..

Just now, Savage69 said:

Joe Thomas has never missed a game either and from his rookie season on has been a Pro Bowl player and a 6 time All Pro as well.. Yea Brick a good player and a good guy but far from the best LT the Jets have ever had..

1st of all i said d'brick missed 1 snap in 10 years.  not 1 game.

2nd i never said he was a good player, or great player, the best LT.  i said he was reliable.  2 totally different things.  just like eli is one of the most reliable QB's ever.  or durable.  whatever word you want to use.

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

You're his agent, aren't you?

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

He's not going to the HOF.

He's a good player, good guy, reliable, and that is not the easiest position to fill.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that guys from the 2006 Draft are at or near retirement age. 

I remember that draft better than any I have ever seen.  It was a real turning point in the franchise IMO.  We had the #4 overall pick, what were we going to do.  What fancy new (explosive) piece would we add.  Then we took a skinny 6'6" dancing bear with Go-Go-Gadget long arms.  And the franchise had done the right thing.  Tannenbaum made the smart pick.  The television pundits for once lauded the pick.  It was a foreign feeling as a Jets fan on Draft Day.

Then at pick #29 the Jets took the pick they traded John Abraham away for and took a Center, Nick Mangold.  The pundits, "The Jets really get it."

Brick and Nick were cornerstones for a decade - Bringing stability to two key positions.  Brick was always who he was; a quiet class act, dependable and very good for long time. I can't wish anything but the best for him.

I still giggle when I remember Brick's first TC after Mangini told the rookies not to talk to the media so he literally ran away from Cimini and the other clowns after seeing them...that kid's all grown up and we start looking to replace a guy who will end up in the Ring of Honor. 

I feel the same way about that draft. Previous to that year it was just an infatuation with highlight receivers and such... That one changed me.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I feel the same way about that draft. Previous to that year it was just an infatuation with highlight receivers and such... That one changed me.

and since then (with the exception of sanchez) it's been an infatuation with defense.  this year is the year of the offense!

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I wish.. I always get a kick when a Jet player leaves how fans think he was one of the best ever.. Except for maybe Abe and a few others..:)

you don't think he is an all time great Jet? not an all time great player but as a Jet.

Lack of significant offers may have driven D’Brickashaw Ferguson to retire

Plaxico Burress, Dustin Keller, D'Brickashaw FergusonAP

There was no talk of Jets left tackleD’Brickashaw Ferguson retiring until the Jets tried to get him to take less money. And it’s quite possible that the decision crystallized after Ferguson realized that no one was willing to give him enough money to justify the continuation of his career.

Given the sequence of events, it’s reasonable to assume that Ferguson’s agent gauged the market and identified Ferguson’s alternatives elsewhere in light of whatever the Jets were offering on a reduced deal. It’s also reasonable to assume that Ferguson specifically opted not to take whatever the best offer was with the Jets or any other team, deciding instead to walk away.

The move likely comes with an agreement that the Jets won’t pursue any lingering signing bonus amounts that had not yet been fully earned (if there even are any); otherwise, Ferguson could have simply stood his ground and forced his release. By retiring, Ferguson also makes it harder to return and play for the team of his choice later, since the Jets would still hold his rights.Although the timing of the retirement points to financial concerns, it’s entirely possible that Ferguson was motivated at least in part by health concerns. Ferguson reacted strongly after seeing Concussion, writing in an item for SI.com that “I feel a bit betrayed by the people or committees put in place by the league who did not have my best interests at heart.”

“Dr. Elliot Pellman was one of the Jets’ team doctors when I was a rookie in 2006, and to learn that he was a part of the group that tried to discredit the scope and impact of brain injuries among players within the league is disheartening,” Ferguson explained in his December 29 essay.“When I initially heard about 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, who decided to retire after one professional season for the risk of brain injury, I thought perhaps he was acting very abruptly, but now I cannot fault him,” Ferguson wrote. “If we know the risks, then why do we still play? . . . Since seeing Concussion, I can’t avoid wondering if I am in danger of experiencing some degree of brain injury when I am done playing.”

Regardless, Ferguson made it clear in December that he has no regrets.

“[W]ould I do it all again?” Ferguson wrote. “I would, considering what I have accomplished on and off the field because of my relationship with football.”That relationship, after nearly two full decades, is over. Whether it’s because of the financial offers or health concerns or a combination of the two, he had a very good career, one that included Ferguson taking every single snap in every single game for 10 seasons.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/08/lack-of-significant-offers-may-have-driven-dbrickashaw-ferguson-to-retire/

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Then at pick #29 the Jets took the pick they traded John Abraham away for and took a Center, Nick Mangold.  The pundits, "The Jets really get it."

The '06 and '07 drafts changed our entire culture, and propelled our deep runs in '09 and '10. Brick, Nick, Leon, Brad Smith, Coleman, Revis, David Harris. 

Man, to have a couple of drafts like that again....how sweet it would be. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

In maddenverse, it would benefit both parties for TEN to trade us Lewan for Mo. They need the help on D and can take Tunsil, we need to unload the cap and in turn get a LT.

Tenn is in the running for Tunsil because lewan is not showing lt ability, so we re going to trade for him and have another guy that is a rt trying to get by at lt?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Tenn is in the running for Tunsil because lewan is not showing lt ability, so we re going to trade for him and have another guy that is a rt trying to get by at lt?

I've read that Lewan is the strength of their line and played well at LT... now, i got better things to do than break down Titans tape, so i took that to be true. Are you saying it's not? 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've read that Lewan is the strength of their line and played well at LT... now, i got better things to do than break down Titans tape, so i took that to be true. Are you saying it's not? 

Well if playing well means 1st in the league in sacks given up, 7th in the league in QB hits and a young starter injured during the year.  I would think that in all draft circles there would be no chatter at all since the beginning of tunsel to tenn if lewan was seen as the long term LT.

Archived