D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

Just now, Beerfish said:

Well if playing well means 1st in the league in sacks given up, 7th in the league in QB hits and a young starter inured during the year.  I would think that in all draft citcled there would be no chatter at all since the beginning of tunsel to tenn if lewan was seen as the long term LT.

Yes i get stats suggest otherwise, but if you have decent play at LT, but sh*t across the rest of the line, it's not like million dollar paid DCs aren't going to scheme to the line's weaknesses... 

Let's say the truth is somewhere in the middle. He's played reasonable at LT... he's not going to stick around TEN for long - he's going to take off for LT money when extension time comes around. TEN could something for him now vs  nothing later if they're sold on taking Tunsil.. they;d have to shopping for RTs.. but that's not mission impossble.

Food for thought. Unlikely nonetheless

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Just this once, could we not try to find someone to blame and just celebrate the career of an all-time great Jet.  When they drafted Brick and Mangold, you couldn't have asked for a better outcome that both would anchor the line for 10 years.  Players age and I completely understand why he'd retire now while he's still healthy.  He's earned enough cash that he shouldn't have to worry about lifestyle so good for him.  Yes, it leaves a hole but the team will work to fill it as every team has to when players retire or get injured.  He's not going to a rival team, he's retiring a Jet.

This is a moment to appreciate Brick.  Tomorrow we can go back to stressing over the coming season.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

There are fans on this board who think Pennington is a HOFer.

There are fans on this board that think some of our HOF's aren't HOF's :D

Marvin Powell should be in the HOF

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I wish.. I always get a kick when a Jet player leaves how fans think he was one of the best ever.. Except for maybe Abe and a few others..:)

Didn't see that sentiment being kicked around very much, if at all. Its more of an appreciation for a gentleman who went to work everyday, said nothing, and was a solid piece of this team for a long time.

A genuine legend for the franchise.

All the hype around guys like Bush, Williams, Leinart - I'd argue Brick was the best guy to come out of that draft. In his prime he would routinely shut out elite pass rushers. Class act on and off the field and example to any NFL player.

He dropped off a bit but it makes me respect him even more for acknowledging it and doing what he feels is best for him. He managed to avoid serious injury and hope he has a healthy retirement. 

We'll miss his influence more than anything else. Guy's been part of the furniture for such a long time. A lot of pressure on whoever comes in and I suspect this is now our #1 priority in the  draft, if it wasn't already.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I've read that he will pursue a career in politics after his Jets career was over.  Guess he figured its time to start his new life.

Class act, who always was there after a win or loss, with a comment and not hiding in the back of his locker

Cimini says that Brick aspires to be a writer.  Also that he is very interested in finance and Wall St.  If you read the article from SI, assuming it isn't completely edited and "ghost-written", Brick is a very intelligent, articulate guy.  No way he wants his brain messed up... he needs it for his future career.

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes they do, when we draft them. That's the plan pure and simple. Draft either Decker and Conklin and put him in

Conklin is projected as a RT only.  Would be a project at LT.  Stanley would be better.  Even Decker.  Don't want Conklin in round 1.

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Too many fans are stupid or incredibly naïve.  Stop trying to spin this that the Jets "blew this situation".  If you

read Brick's article after the movie "Concussion" came out you knew he was considering retirement.  He gave

10 years (never missing a play) to the NFL and now wants to move on.  Stop crying!!!  We'll find a LT in the

draft

I vote for "stupid".  

Some fans will do whatever they can to blame it on the Jets.  This was an independent decision by Brick.  Not caused by any alleged request for a pay cut.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Cimini says that Brick aspires to be a writer.  Also that he is very interested in finance and Wall St.  If you read the article from SI, assuming it isn't completely edited and "ghost-written", Brick is a very intelligent, articulate guy.  No way he wants his brain messed up... he needs it for his future career.

Interesting.  One thing I feel sure of, whatever he decides to do I'd bet he's successful and does it with class and dignity.

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

And has a net worth of around 21 million with 5 million of his last bonus money due this season.. I bet he goes into politics..

He was paid his full bonus when he signed the contract.  It's just the remaining team cap hit form that bonus that is $5 million.  He's not actually being paid another $5 million.  

6 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Very surprising to me that Brick is hanging it up. To me he still had some in the tank. Good luck Brick on a great after football.

Now the big question becomes, what do we do at LT? As Kelly just mentioned, Ryan Clady is an option for the short term, but personally I would draft an OL. It's not like this wasn't a desired pick to begin with? This should come as no surprise to anyone if the Jets use a 1st rounder on OL.

The guys I figure the Jets could possibly get through the draft:

Taylor Decker - He is well within our reach I figure. Mac could get him at #20 or even possibly the 2nd round?

Jack Conklin - This is the guy I wish Mac would target. But he's pretty well solidified as a top 15 pick. If the Jets trade Mo, and I think they will, they'll likely have a higher 1st rounder and the ammunition to grab Conklin.

Ronnie Stanley - With a higher 1st rounder I figure he could be in play. Stanley likely comes as the highest ranking of the 3. He is likely a top 10 pick, but he could slip.

Decker is destined to be a RT (Hey..but we could use one of those too).  Conklin is also likely to wind up at RT or be moved to Guard.  Stanley is the man and will go top 10 or even top 5 after Tunsil. Don't want any part of Conklin, not because he would be bad, just that he might ultimately wind up a guard or a RT at best and don't want to spend such a high pick on that..

33 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

A genuine legend for the franchise.

All the hype around guys like Bush, Williams, Leinart - I'd argue Brick was the best guy to come out of that draft. In his prime he would routinely shut out elite pass rushers. Class act on and off the field and example to any NFL player.

He dropped off a bit but it makes me respect him even more for acknowledging it and doing what he feels is best for him. He managed to avoid serious injury and hope he has a healthy retirement. 

We'll miss his influence more than anything else. Guy's been part of the furniture for such a long time. A lot of pressure on whoever comes in and I suspect this is now our #1 priority in the  draft, if it wasn't already.

Brick wasn't even the best JET drafted in the first round of that draft. Mangold was.

4 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Jason Spriggs, Shon Coleman, Ifedi, and Clark should all be available when the Jets pick in the second, I believe our first should be used On BPA whether that is Paxton Lynch, Treadwell, Spence, or Floyd.

A'shawn Robinson too?  He could easily be the BPA there. 

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I wish.. I always get a kick when a Jet player leaves how fans think he was one of the best ever.. Except for maybe Abe and a few others..:)

yeah, like Curtis Martin!

B)

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Waiting for the Ryan Clady to the Jets news to break...

Dark horse could be Joeckel.. He's a better fit for our O than jax's imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm? Hadn't thought of Joeckel

Mo for Joeckel and #38?

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We are losing 1 of the best LTs in the game to sign a journeyman QB bum,way to go Macc!!!!!!!!!!!  DAMMIT 

1. Brick is not one of the best LTs in the game at this point in his career. He may have been (debatable) but he is certainly not now.

2. We are not losing him so that we can sign Fitz.  He is not quitting due to a requested pay cut. Your sewing those two things together is all assumption, one that the evidence seems to refute.

Why not try getting yourself up to speed before posting absurd things?  Just a thought to help improve the quality of the forum, and I'm sure you want that!

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

Gutted at this news...absolutely magnificent servant and one of my all time favourite Jets....hope they honour him accordingly and thank you Brick for everything

he'll be in the ring of honor sometime down the road.  No doubt.

55 minutes ago, faba said:

Someone who showed up every day for 10 years and stays with one team is an abnormal nowadays- kudos to Brick for his service

Played for 10 years and 67 million dollars however being a Vet I'll just thank Vets for their service..;)

Everyone was ripping this guy a month or two ago about replacing him and now everyone will miss him.  We are all going to find out how hard it is to replace a LT in the NFL with a player as solid and reliable as Brick.  It's not about the money.  Brick is one of the smartest guys on this team and has a future in either Journalism or Politics as previously mentioned.  

He was one of my favorite Jets and this is very shocking.  I respect his decision because it is a smart one.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I vote for "stupid".  

Some fans will do whatever they can to blame it on the Jets.  This was an independent decision by Brick.  Not caused by any alleged request for a pay cut.

Ironically the day after he was asked to take a pay cut he retires..........no coincidence at all.

8 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

With what money? You are naive and dumb. Logic shows differently

First off, if you can't make your point without personal attacks then leave. You have been warned more times than you have earned. The next time buys you a vacation.

Next, it would have been easy. You sign a less expensive left tackle, then you cut the more expensive left tackle. What is at all hard to understand about that? It couldn't possibly be any simpler.

Logic, lol. 

Brick is a class act. All time great Jet. I hate to see him go but am of course totally fine with this. I hope he is just leaving when he wants. If he is hurt, I hope he's ok.

A class act. Will be missed! Good luck, DBrick!

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Makes one wonder if he had half made the decision last year and his heart just wasn't in putting his body at risk last season. 

I absolutely think this was the case. He knew a paycut was coming, knew his skills were on a serious decline, and he felt a genuine fear for what was to come after his football career if he kept going.  I don't think there is any animosity for the team and management.  I legitimately believe that after watching "Concussion" he decided that it's not worth throwing his aging body on the line anymore, especially because he was aware that he was on such a steep decline.  

I wish the guy nothing but the best in his future endeavors.  We were lucky to watch him play.

24 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Brick is a class act. All time great Jet. I hate to see him go but am of course totally fine with this. I hope he is just leaving when he wants. If he is hurt, I hope he's ok.

A class act. Will be missed! Good luck, DBrick!

Yes, all the best to Brick.

Archived