Just now, drdetroit said:

1. Resign Fitz

&

2. Resign Snacks

&

3. Kept Brick

This offseason has become a hot mess.

You are an idiot. 

Anyone who knows Brick knows this isn't about sticking it to the Jets. This man will be successful at anything. Just time folks....

Got the sense Brick had been mulling retirement for a bit -- and so did the . That's why paycut convo was never about Fitz $$$

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You are an idiot. 

Anyone who knows Brick knows this isn't about sticking it to the Jets. This man will be successful at anything. Just time folks....

Got the sense Brick had been mulling retirement for a bit -- and so did the . That's why paycut convo was never about Fitz $$$

#coverstory

Brick announcing retirement 5 minutes after being asked to take a $10-12 million paycut yep no connection there

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If Brick was going to be cut, he would get money elsewhere. He wouldn't have to retire, you fool.

He didn't want to play elsewhere he's a local kid from Long Island who has played here for 10 years. Yeah I'm sure a 32 year old brick was looking forward to relocating to Seattle or Indianapolis to play for 1/10th the money

He chose to retire. hes a wealthy man, no doubt.

If he wanted to keep playing, he would have moved. Its not that big a deal to move when your making crazy money. he could have done that.

My guess is hes smart with his money, he doesn't have a car collection or a string of poloponies, and just figured it was a good time to relax and enjoy life

16 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

He didn't want to play elsewhere he's a local kid from Long Island who has played here for 10 years. Yeah I'm sure a 32 year old brick was looking forward to relocating to Seattle or Indianapolis to play for 1/10th the money

So he quit over 4 million dollars? Logic says no

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

He chose to retire. hes a wealthy man, no doubt.

If he wanted to keep playing, he would have moved. Its not that big a deal to move when your making crazy money. he could have done that.

My guess is hes smart with his money, he doesn't have a car collection or a string of poloponies, and just figured it was a good time to relax and enjoy life

:D props on the Honeymooners reference!  Brings back great memories...

18 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Nice fuzzy math more like $10-12 million plus relocating to another part of the country isn't cheap especially if you have a family

No it wasn't that much.  He already got $4 million of his salary, and he would have got at least $5 from another team.  We will be resigning Fitz, and we were never signing Harrison.  Too much money for a NT, and I am the BIGGEST proponent for keeping him.  This off-season is nowhere close to a disaster

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No it wasn't that much.  He already got $4 million of his salary, and he would have got at least $5 from another team.  We will be resigning Fitz, and we were never signing Harrison.  Too much money for a NT, and I am the BIGGEST proponent for keeping him.  This off-season is nowhere close to a disaster

Thank you.  His base was not 14 for the year, it was more like 10.

If he wanted, he could have gotten at least 5 on the open market.  Lets not forget, that is 5 million dollars.  If he was hurting for money, he could have made it.  I think he just is done, and after 10 years of not missing a snap, I can 100% understand that.

I was against the Jets tagging Wilkerson because they had other needs. Snacks would have been a good resign, and Wilkerson can be replaced by Williams. I still think the Jets trade him to Chicago on draft day for the 11th pick and they grab the best available player. It may be an OT like Taylor Decker or they could get one in round two and get a pass rushing LB.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You are an idiot. 

Its hard to believe that Brick would wait this long to retire. I think that the amount of salary cut they wanted Brick to take in order to resign FItz simply didnt sit well. He may not be trying to "stick it" to the Jets, but if he was really thinking about retiring I think he would have done it much earlier. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its hard to believe that Brick would wait this long to retire. I think that the amount of salary cut they wanted Brick to take in order to resign FItz simply didnt sit well. He may not be trying to "stick it" to the Jets, but if he was really thinking about retiring I think he would have done it much earlier. 

Some players have waited till Camp to retire..Hell Favre retired and unretired several times before he actually did.. Of course it's possible the cut may have been the deciding factor but who knows?? Hey lets trade for Glennon and put him at LT till a QB gets hurt..;)

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

While I don't doubt the salary cut helped Brick make his decision, I don't think it was the reason for the decision. He's probably gone back and forth on it for awhile.. as every report has suggested.  For those with their panties in a bunch, actually blaming the Jets for having the nerve of asking him to take a pay cut - let's face facts. The guy is not worth $14M (or $9M if you're going by his base) in 2016. Teams ask aging/declining players to take cuts all the time. It's not a slap in the face. It's reality. 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think he was waiting to see what the pay cut would be. He knew one was coming, There is a reason the Jets took so long to offer it to him. To let him figure things out and to investigate other options.

People on here are insinuating that the paycut was THE reason. I don't think it was THE reason but a smaller reason

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

While I don't doubt the salary cut helped Brick make his decision, I don't think it was the reason for the decision. He's probably gone back and forth on it for awhile.. as every report has suggested.  For those with their panties in a bunch, actually blaming the Jets for having the nerve of asking him to take a pay cut - let's face facts. The guy is not worth $14M (or $9M if you're going by his base) in 2016. Teams ask aging/declining players to take cuts all the time. It's not a slap in the face. It's reality. 

My problem isnt that the Jets asked him, its the fact that they asked him in order to pay a back up 7-10 million dollars. Thats my problem. They probably had to ask Brick to cut his salary by half. He wasnt going to do that. 

If we would have gotten another back up that would have cost a fraction of the price then we probably would have been able to just request a 4 million pay cut. 

It doesnt matter if he was contemplating retirement, whatever the paycut amount pushed him far enough to actually do it. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

My problem isnt that the Jets asked him, its the fact that they asked him in order to pay a back up 7-10 million dollars. Thats my problem. They probably had to ask Brick to cut his salary by half. He wasnt going to do that. 

If we would have gotten another back up that would have cost a fraction of the price then we probably would have been able to just request a 4 million pay cut. 

It doesnt matter if he was contemplating retirement, whatever the amount pushed him far enough to actually do it. 

Wasnt it reported that a 4-5 million dollar paycut was the paycut requested?

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think he was waiting to see what the pay cut would be. He knew one was coming, There is a reason the Jets took so long to offer it to him. To let him figure things out and to investigate other options.

People on here are insinuating that the paycut was THE reason. I don't think it was THE reason but a smaller reason

I cant speak for anyone else when it comes to who's insinuating what. What I can say is that the paycut must have been big enough to actually cause him to say "**** it, I've been thinking about it anyway". 

If the rumored about for Fitz is 7-10 million and we needed Brick to take a cut in order to do the signing then its possible that they asked for him to take a paycut by half. 

So yeah, this may not be THE only reason, but lets not pretend like it didnt play a significant influence. 

I cant speak for anyone else when it comes to who's insinuating what. What I can say is that the paycut must have been big enough to actually cause him to say "**** it, I've been thinking about it anyway". 

If the rumored about for Fitz is 7-10 million and we needed Brick to take a cut in order to do the signing then its possible that they asked for him to take a paycut by half. 

So yeah, this may not be THE only reason, but lets not pretend like it didnt play a significant influence. 

The problem with that is that I think it was reported the cut was for 4-5 million. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wasnt it reported that a 4-5 million dollar paycut was the paycut requested?

That is "alleged". Thats what im trying to tell you. 

The Jets have about 500,000 in cap space, how are you going to sign Fitz (generally speaking) to a 7-10 million dollar per year deal if Brick only takes a 4-5 million pay cut? We're still missing anywhere between 3-6 million depending on what the actual contract is. 

Im a bit tight because if what was reported is true, then Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt worth this sh*t. 

That is "alleged". Thats what im trying to tell you. 

The Jets have about 500,000 in cap space, how are you going to sign Fitz (generally speaking) to a 7-10 million dollar per year deal if Brick only takes a 4-5 million pay cut? We're still missing anywhere between 3-6 million depending on what the actual contract is. 

Im a bit tight because if what was reported is true, then Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt worth this sh*t. 

By trading Wilkerson. There goes another 15 million. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, I'll say it again. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick's WORTH doesnt equal out to having to trade Wilk and Brick having to retire. 

He's not worth this. 

All of that money is not going to Fitzpatrick. They also have to sign draft picks and UDFA's. Plus keep a little open for emergencies.

The bottom line is that they asked Brick to lose 4-5 million and that combined with the worry about injury led him to retire. It all fits together. It has nothing to do with whether Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good QB or not. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

All of that money is not going to Fitzpatrick. They also have to sign draft picks and UDFA's. Plus keep a little open for emergencies.

Of course its not all going to Fitzpatrick. But a large chunk of it would have to based on contract negotiations we heard about, along with now having to find a LT. 

Brick's retirement free'd 9 million, but the lowest number we heard regarding a new contract for Fitz was 7 million. 

Im not sure if you're avoiding what I've been saying...so to just be more direct let me just ask. Do you think that Ryan Fitzpatrick is worth having D'Brick retire and Wilk traded in order to have cash to pay him 7-10 million dollars? 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

1. Resign Fitz

&

2. Resign Snacks

&

3. Kept Brick

This offseason has become a hot mess.

So to be clear you preface this all on letting Wilk walk for no compensation, or your steadfast belief we are going into the season with Wilk tagged at the price he's at.  To which I'll respond:

1-We're gonna sign him anyway

2-So what? 

3-I guess you were ok paying him 14m. 

Of course this is all nevermind the fact Brick seemed to be pretty clear he told the Jets well ahead that he was contemplating retirement already, and Brick knew darn well the right move was to ask him to take a paycut regardless of Wilk's contract. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, I'll say it again. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick's WORTH doesnt equate to having to trade Wilk and Brick having to retire in order to afford him.

He's not worth this. 

I think Fitz is history. There is something else in the works here. They got lucky last year with Fitz...there is no way Macc is trying to readjust our salary cap to resign an average, backup QB. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Of course its not all going to Fitzpatrick. But a large chunk of it would have to based on contract negotiations we heard about, along with now having to find a LT. 

Brick's retirement free'd 9 million, but the lowest number we heard regarding a new contract for Fitz was 7 million. 

Im not sure if you're avoiding what I've been saying...so to just be more direct let me just ask. Do you think that Ryan Fitzpatrick is worth having D'Brick retire and Wilk traded in order to have cash to pay him 7-10 million dollars? 

In the long term, yes. We need to get younger.

In the short term, probably not. But unless there is a better option at the right price out there....

Archived