Jets the dark horse to move up for the #1 overall pick

shuler82

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

If we trade up to 1 overall and take a left tackle, I will gouge my eyes out with a melon baller

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I will cut my pinkies off, tie them to balloons, and set them adrift over the ocean I subsequently drown myself in.

Lousy one-upper.

I will shave off my skin with a potato peeler, put it back on inside out, and dive into a vat of lemonade and hepatitis.

57 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I could see the Jets trying to get into the top ten if Ronnie Stanley slips a little. Some experts expect him to be better than Tunsil in the long run. He's a plug and play LT. Could be worth it to move up and grab him.

I've seen many people go against the consensus and say Decker will be the second tackle taken, maybe we'll get lucky and not have to trade up for Stanley.

55 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

If it is a franchise QB you do.

Have you seen the Jets draft picks over the last 10 years?

Agree (which is rare - I used to post on JI) on the franchise QB + will say unfortunately you are also not wrong about the draft over the last 10 years, other than Revis and Wilkerson (and a few other ok picks), it's been bad, really, really bad.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Any media report that includes "....and the Jets" amongst teams looking to trade/splash/do something stupid I almost instantly ignore.

In a word where no one has to name their source, I'm absolutely convinced a minimum of 75% of these reports are absolutely bullsh*t designed to do nothing more than to spur interest or drive newspaper sales/website hits/advert rates.

I'll believe the Jets "are looking to move up to the #1 pick" after we make that trade, till this, lol, right, sure.  Whatever you say.

99% of the modern media is no more knowledgeable or reliable than your average forum poster, and half are far less informed frankly.

the source of the report was Tony Pauline at DraftInsider.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

If we trade up to 1 overall and take a left tackle, I will gouge my eyes out with a melon baller

That actually sounds a lot more pleasant than many of the other options you could have went with. But hey, A for creativity in choosing a "melon baller". Kudos.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I could see the Jets trying to get into the top ten if Ronnie Stanley slips a little. Some experts expect him to be better than Tunsil in the long run. He's a plug and play LT. Could be worth it to move up and grab him.

I bet Jax takes Stanley.  THey are pretty desperate at LT with Luke Bust Joeckel entering the last year of his contract and Pittsburgh's Beachum (ACL recovery) on what is essentially a cheap one year deal with an option for Jacksonville to pay him a lot more over the next couple of years.  Beachum is to fill in for their LT bust.

1 hour ago, 19andOhWait said:

I hate this so much. did no one learn from the RG3 trade? you don't mortgage your draft future like this for one guy 

True, but you don't sit on your hands either.  After Pennington, they did trade up for Sanchez, but we all knew that was a monumental risk because in most other year drafts, Sanchez would be lucky to be a 2nd round pick.  Tannenbaum, his scouts including Bradway, and Rex did a terrible job evaluating Sanchez 

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the source of the report was Tony Pauline at DraftInsider.

CBTNY, aye.  Well aware who he is.  Doesn't change my opinion one iota.  

And CBTNY isn't the source, he's the reporter.  The source is whomever told him this porkie pie tall tale, presuming it's not made up from whole cloth a la half the New York Sports media daily.

And EVEN if he has a legit source, that source could have a dozen motivations to put out bullsh*t into the media.

Lol, taking the media at face value?  Lol, no. 

55 minutes ago, pointman said:

That actually sounds a lot more pleasant than many of the other options you could have went with. But hey, A for creativity in choosing a "melon baller". Kudos.

I like to think of myself as an artist, only I use words instead of a paintbrush.

Agree (which is rare - I used to post on JI) on the franchise QB + will say unfortunately you are also not wrong about the draft over the last 10 years, other than Revis and Wilkerson (and a few other ok picks), it's been bad, really, really bad.

Look, until the Jets find their franchise QB for the the next 10-12 years, all their other draft picks are meaningless (just look at the last 10 years).

You don't build a franchise from outside the QB position looking in, you build a franchise from the QB looking out.

13 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Look, until the Jets find their franchise QB for the the next 10-12 years, all their other draft picks are meaningless (just look at the last 10 years).

You don't build a franchise from outside the QB position looking in, you build a franchise from the QB looking out.

One thing is for sure, there's definitely only one way to do it.

The Jets aren't moving up to #1 overall.

They need a left tackle, a quarterback, and #2 corner, they should be looking for a replacement for their #1 corner, a right tackle, at least two linebackers and a ******* punter. No team with this many starting needs, and such a deficit of depth in talent, is trading away an entire draft for one pick. Just ain't happening... especially not for these QBs. These QBs have more manufactured buzz than I've seen in a long time. No true studs in the group.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

If the Jets think one of these QB's can be "the guy", then I have no issue with them giving up whatever it may take to get them.  D-linemen, linebackers, wide receivers, it's great to have good ones, but nothing carries you like a franchise QB.  Go get one, because we may find out at some point that Geno isn't the answer.

I don't anyone in this years draft worth moving up 20 spots for. It could cripple the team for years. 

Personally I think we're ok at quarterback short term. With Fitz. I hope that Mac gives him Brick's money and we fill other holes. There's no way you give up the kind of assets it would take to trade up for a completely unknown quantity. I'm sure not giving up a player like Wilk or a ton of picks for a guy from North Dakota State. I'd rather take a flyer on our own draft pick Bryce Petty in a year or too. And stranger things could happen than Geno after 3 years learning his craft. But that I wouldn't count on either.

28 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I don't anyone in this years draft worth moving up 20 spots for. It could cripple the team for years. 

If I HAD to make an argument, and with the suddenness of Brick's retirement, Ronnie Stanley may be worth it. 

ct-notre-dame-ronnie-stanley-nfl-draft20

I think he has more long-term upside than Tunsil and would be a FOUNDATION piece & ROCK for the OL for the next 10 years similar to Brick. I'd move up to #1 for him.  

A good percentage of very good offensive lineman are guys not drafted that high and some guys recently taken at the top of the draft aren't that good. It's a position you can get quality in throughout the draft with some skill and luck. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

CBTNY, aye.  Well aware who he is.  Doesn't change my opinion one iota.  

And CBTNY isn't the source, he's the reporter.  The source is whomever told him this porkie pie tall tale, presuming it's not made up from whole cloth a la half the New York Sports media daily.

And EVEN if he has a legit source, that source could have a dozen motivations to put out bullsh*t into the media.

Lol, taking the media at face value?  Lol, no. 

where did I suggest you should do either of the above?  I was just telling you where I saw the report.  Wrong use of the word "source" I guess.  

But I wouldn't doubt that Mac would at least make an inquiry.  You never know when you'll catch another team at the right moment.  Maybe Tennessee is so enamored with Wilk... hypothetically... that they would take him, 20 and next year's 2 or something low like that.  Tannenbaum's trade up with Cleveland was relatively low cost. Too bad that he and Rex fell in love with a dud.  

Whatever it takes, it will be painful for sure, but the team can never be great until it tries better prospects than Sanchez.  A perennial 8-8 type team never gets the opportunity to get a top rated QB unless it trades up or gets lucky in round 2 or later.

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I would expect mccags to have called every team in the league to gauge trade interest for both trading up and down in every round. That's called being a GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did it last year too. The man likes to be thorough and gauge his options.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

A good percentage of very good offensive lineman are guys not drafted that high and some guys recently taken at the top of the draft aren't that good. It's a position you can get quality in throughout the draft with some skill and luck. 

So true. And so many examples as of late.

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

If I HAD to make an argument, and with the suddenness of Brick's retirement, Ronnie Stanley may be worth it. 

I think he has more long-term upside than Tunsil and would be a FOUNDATION piece & ROCK for the OL for the next 10 years similar to Brick. I'd move up to #1 for him.  

I'm a huge ND fan but there's zero chance I'd give up that much for Stanley. 

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

top 10 pick for sure.

Honestly in Chan Gailey's system, it's about quick release getting the ball out. We do not need to move up to one to draft a LT. I still think Mo gets traded for a first, it's about plugging gaps, we have more holes then a Swiss cheese.

Only reason to move up is a franchise QB, first there isn't a Luck in this draft, second if there was would you trade the pick?

I actually like Decker and Sprigg's, Kevin Hogans my sleeper QB, we need more ammo not less.

15 hours ago, dbatesman said:

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I will cut my pinkies off, tie them to balloons, and set them adrift over the ocean I subsequently drown myself in.

eyes ? pinkies ? all bullsh*t.... call me when its thumbs

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The Jets aren't moving up to #1 overall.

They need a left tackle, a quarterback, and #2 corner, they should be looking for a replacement for their #1 corner, a right tackle, at least two linebackers and a ******* punter. No team with this many starting needs, and such a deficit of depth in talent, is trading away an entire draft for one pick. Just ain't happening... especially not for these QBs. These QBs have more manufactured buzz than I've seen in a long time. No true studs in the group.

This.

Archived