2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

junk, All you have is headlines.  You can't say d*ck either way because you have no connection to the school.  Laughable that you rip others for reading headlines from journalists and believe them.  Yes, because they all just make stuff up.  All of them except the ones that defend UNC, that is. 

son, you have no idea what my connection is and it's obvious you haven't done any research into this matter other than reading headlines.  Remember this mostly came about from a local reporter who was humiliated for believing a fake source that was just screwing w/ him.  I posted the info on that numerous times, you guys choose to believe the "fake classes!" stuff when even the NCAA before the COI met said the classes were not fake.  The classes were paper classes, they didn't meet but they had to write 25-30 page papers and even the Weinstein report which got so much stuff wrong said basketball players were found to have legitimately handed in those papers.  The classes were not fake, were they easier than other classes? by all accounts YES but were they set up to help athletes stay eligible? NO.  less than 30% of students in those classes were athletes.

One of the reasons I have always loved Carolina is b/c they do it the right way, if it was proven they weren't doing it the right way I wouldn't be backing them the way I do.  Knowing the people I know and info I know I am very confident they continue to do things the right way and unfortunately they were basically on probation the last 5 years for not breaking any NCAA rules. Thankfully they had the best coach in the Country who still managed to lead them to 2 title games and another National Championship but for most it would have been crippling.

You guys can bash me all you want, I don't care.  You can unfairly bash Carolina all you want.  I don't care.  Carolina does it the right away, they recruit great kids, play the right way and win. That bothers a lot of people for some reason.  Oh well, can't wait for this season to start.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

son, you have no idea what my connection is and it's obvious you haven't done any research into this matter other than reading headlines.  Remember this mostly came about from a local reporter who was humiliated for believing a fake source that was just screwing w/ him.  I posted the info on that numerous times, you guys choose to believe the "fake classes!" stuff when even the NCAA before the COI met said the classes were not fake.  The classes were paper classes, they didn't meet but they had to write 25-30 page papers and even the Weinstein report which got so much stuff wrong said basketball players were found to have legitimately handed in those papers.  The classes were not fake, were they easier than other classes? by all accounts YES but were they set up to help athletes stay eligible? NO.  less than 30% of students in those classes were athletes.

One of the reasons I have always loved Carolina is b/c they do it the right way, if it was proven they weren't doing it the right way I wouldn't be backing them the way I do.  Knowing the people I know and info I know I am very confident they continue to do things the right way and unfortunately they were basically on probation the last 5 years for not breaking any NCAA rules. Thankfully they had the best coach in the Country who still managed to lead them to 2 title games and another National Championship but for most it would have been crippling.

You guys can bash me all you want, I don't care.  You can unfairly bash Carolina all you want.  I don't care.  Carolina does it the right away, they recruit great kids, play the right way and win. That bothers a lot of people for some reason.  Oh well, can't wait for this season to start.

Hahaha.  Truly laughable stuff.  **Special connection** type stuff.

Junk refuses to ever mention what his "connection" to UNC is, yet was the one who claims he has a "special connection".  Too funny. 

We'll continue to bash UNC whether you like it or not, because this alternate reality where they're always the best, always do it the right way, and have untainted titles is a false narrative, and should haunt anyone involved for years, including those with a "special connection".  This is true even if the NCAA and accreditation decision makers didn't punish UNC.  It still happened. 

You have no connection to the university.  Your "connection" is to a basketball team you watch on TV. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Junk refuses to ever mention what his "connection" to UNC is, yet was the one who claims he has a "special connection".  Too funny. 

We'll continue to bash UNC whether you like it or not, because this alternate reality where they're always the best, always do it the right way, and have untainted titles is a false narrative, and should haunt anyone involved for years, including those with a "special connection".  This is true even if the NCAA and accreditation decision makers didn't punish UNC.  It still happened. 

You have no connection to the university.  Your "connection" is to a basketball team you watch on TV. 

Image result for mortal kombat finish him

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

It wouldn't even matter that Junk is a UNC fanboy if he had just owned up to it in the beginning. Lots of people root for college teams that they otherwise have no connection to whatsoever. That's just sports.

But alas his whole **special connection** charade has been totally pathetic.

I realize you don't ever get anything right but if you go back in the old posts I have always said I became a fan in the 80s as they were on TV every week here in NY and had a lot of NY area players so they were in the news.  It would have been much easier to be a St. John's, Syracuse or Georgetown fan like everyone else at the time.  If I cared what anonymous jerks on the internet thought about me maybe I'd tell you my connection. I don't try to impress anyone let alone some people I don't even know. I have connections to numerous athletes, teams, etc.. but the UNC one is more special to me.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

why do you care what it is?

you can bash all you want and you'll be wrong for it as you have been.  I told you all along there wouldn't be any penalties b/c they didn't do anything wrong.  Unfortunately they were penalized w/ this long process but the greatness of Roy and Carolina overcame.

I thank you for caring so much.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I know you don't care about UConn anymore b/c they suck but when they are back you'll be a big time fan again, right?

It's cute that you've stopped quoting me ever since I outed you as a fake unc fanboy, but since this is clearly addressed to me, I'll answer. UConn is an integral part of my life. Most of my life after age 18 wouldn't exist without UConn. My best friends, my wife, my profession....it all came to me directly or indirectly through UConn. That feeling of winning the national title 3 times as a Husky....you will never understand that. The unbelievable communal let down that UNC students felt on that buzzer beater against Nova a couple of years ago...you were never a part of that. You're a wannabe. So, for me, this isn't about "not caring" or having to "come back" to being a UConn Husky. I am a Husky. This is something you will never ever understand.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I realize you don't ever get anything right but if you go back in the old posts I have always said I became a fan in the 80s as they were on TV every week here in NY and had a lot of NY area players so they were in the news.  It would have been much easier to be a St. John's, Syracuse or Georgetown fan like everyone else at the time.  If I cared what anonymous jerks on the internet thought about me maybe I'd tell you my connection. I don't try to impress anyone let alone some people I don't even know. I have connections to numerous athletes, teams, etc.. but the UNC one is more special to me.

Much like the classes that unc students get As in, or your special connection to unc, this is all make belief.

You tried to come off like you were an alum all the way through our uconn/unc fights in the other thread two years ago, till I outed you for being a fake.

21 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It's cute that you've stopped quoting me ever since I outed you as a fake unc fanboy, but since this is clearly addressed to me, I'll answer. UConn is an integral part of my life. Most of my life after age 18 wouldn't exist without UConn. My best friends, my wife, my profession....it all came to me directly or indirectly through UConn. That feeling of winning the national title 3 times as a Husky....you will never understand that. The unbelievable communal let down that UNC students felt on that buzzer beater against Nova a couple of years ago...you were never a part of that. You're a wannabe. So, for me, this isn't about "not caring" or having to "come back" to being a UConn Husky. I am a Husky. This is something you will never ever understand.

I have more to do w/ Carolina basketball than you do w/ UConn basketball so you couldn't be more wrong.  it's nice you became a fan when they became good then celebrated national titles as if you did something.  I hope it makes you feel better at night.

21 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Much like the classes that unc students get As in, or your special connection to unc, this is all make belief.

You tried to come off like you were an alum all the way through our uconn/unc fights in the other thread two years ago, till I outed you for being a fake.

wouldn't it be make believe?

I never once said I was an alum, as usual you are lying and wrong. 

welcome back to the thread though, we know you won't be here if UConn loses but I guarantee if the Heels lose or UConn makes another surprising run you'll come back. 

I love the trio of fools that attack me, it really brightens my day to know they constantly think of me and brightens it even more to know how much it burns them that I was right, as usual, that Carolina did nothing wrong and wouldn't be penalized.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I have more to do w/ Carolina basketball than you do w/ UConn basketball so you couldn't be more wrong.  it's nice you became a fan when they became good then celebrated national titles as if you did something.  I hope it makes you feel better at night.

wouldn't it be make believe?

I never once said I was an alum, as usual you are lying and wrong. 

welcome back to the thread though, we know you won't be here if UConn loses but I guarantee if the Heels lose or UConn makes another surprising run you'll come back. 

I love the trio of fools that attack me, it really brightens my day to know they constantly think of me and brightens it even more to know how much it burns them that I was right, as usual, that Carolina did nothing wrong and wouldn't be penalized.

Did you say something?

• 2 weeks later...

2017-18 season is underway, the Heels minus 2 starters looked good in their debut against Northern Iowa.  Kentucky has struggled their first 2 games eeking out wins at home against teams they would normally blow out.  Indiana is off to a bad start getting blown out at home by Indiana State. 

Some good games tomorrow night, MSU and duke and KU and UK.  Hopefully the Spartans pull it out and if Uk plays like they did this weekend they will lose big.

Not the prettiest win but it's still a win.  Joel Berry returned and didn't look like himself but it was good to see him out there in a closer than it should have been win over a good mid major in Bucknell.  The most encouraging sign of the first 2 games is the 3 headed freshman monster at C.  They have all been contributing and looking pretty good, they will need to be factors for this team to go as deep as they can.  More good news was the timeline on the Johnson injury is only 4-6 weeks so he should be back around Christmas time.

Grayson Allen in midseason form already.  He does this every game and the officials constantly fall for it.  he is the master student of K's teachings and it's embarrassing what K has done to this game.  Players should be given T's and maybe ejections for nonsense like this and K always comes out clean.  Basically the players change but the dirty techniques stay the same to "sell the foul" and to inflict harm on opponents. It's an embarrassment to the game.

https://twitter.com/CMD_77/status/931749056539516929

Nice win for the Heels last night at Stanford.  It was a true road game but at times you couldn't tell as there were a lot of Carolina fans there as they make their way up to Portland for the PK80 Tourney later this week.  Kenny Williams was on fire, he hit 6 3's and scored 20 pts in the first 10 mins then Joel Berry took over.  Stanford has a nice frontline and this was a good test for the young C's of Carolina.  They passed the test.  Now on to the PK80 where hopefully they will get a crack at Mich State in the final if they take care of business the first 2 games.

The schedule gets a little tougher now.  Today the Heels face Arkansas in a game I wouldn't be shocked if Arkansas won.  If they win they will likely face Michigan State.  Should be fun.

Arizona has lost 2 straight, duke struggled/ Portland State for about 75% of the game yesterday.  ND won the Maui over Wich State.  it's been an interesting season so far.

the good news is they beat Arkansas pretty handily and it was almost a perfect day as Texas nearly beat duke but missed a layup and dunk on back to back possessions which swung that game.

The bad news was the championship game, Carolina has absolutely owned Izzo and Michigan State in the Roy era but not last night.  Mich State whooped the Heels, it wasn't even as close as the final margin which I think was 18.  The refs were trying to keep it competitive in the 2nd half but the Heels wanted no part of that.  I didn't think Mich State was even playing great at least offensively but defensively they were outstanding and they intimidated the Heels who missed a ton of easy shots after some early blocks.  The Heels always have games like this every year, they had 2-3 of them last year.  Let's hope they grow from it but it was ugly.

to make things worse duke beat Florida, I did not stay up to watch as they won by 3 so not sure if it was close throughout or how they won but Bagley had another monster game.  It sucks they can keep getting these players to leave HS early when they need them.

on a side note, does anyone know what happened to Connecticut basketball?  They used to have a men's basketball program but I'm not sure if they still play at the division 1 level.  After also getting crushed by MSU then then lost by 40 to Arkansas.  Might be time to just concentrate on women's basketball there?

The Heels bounced back after the debacle vs. Michigan State by whipping Michigan in their first matchup since the 1993 National Championship(back before a certain poster would become a UConn fan).  The ACC is just dominating the Big 10 in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.  The ACC has already clinched the title w/ one more night of games(highlighted by ND at MSU) left.  As of now it is 11-2 ACC

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, deckerfan said:

80 the title still says 2016-2017 :P 

also njyunc are you going to start a UNC fan thread? :D

we're on to 2017-2018:D

I want more people to participate but most only like to show when their teams are doing well or if Carolina loses.

On that note, a nice weekend for the Heels w/ 2 wins and UConn escapes Monmouth at home in OT:lol:

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we're on to 2017-2018:D

I want more people to participate but most only like to show when their teams are doing well or if Carolina loses.

On that note, a nice weekend for the Heels w/ 2 wins and UConn escapes Monmouth at home in OT:lol:

or we just ******* despise taking to you? lol

20 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

or we just ******* despise taking to you? lol

I understand that, if someone tore me apart every time I tried to debate them I wouldn't like them either.  I wouldn't go running like a schoolgirl, I'd stay and fight but that's just me.

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I understand that, if someone tore me apart every time I tried to debate them I wouldn't like them either.  I wouldn't go running like a schoolgirl, I'd stay and fight but that's just me.

I tend to treat Trumpkins and horrendous, illogical sports message board posters with #specialconnections the same way. Conveniently, you're both.

I can take any insults any of you guys hurl, I don't care if you attack me or my teams.  I have fun w/ the back and forth stuff but you guys are hit and run posters, you post childish insults then run away.  we could have fun discussing CBB but you guys choose to act like children.  I try to help but there's only so much I can do.

after a great win for an ACC team on the road Notre Dame comes back a night later and drops a home game to Ball State.

Villanova had a really nice win over Gonzaga at MSG and in the nightcap the struggles continue for UConn as they lost to Syracuse.

Maybe that FSU win wasn't such a big deal?  Florida lost at home to Loyoloa-Chicago last night and it wasn't the only upset.  Mike Hopkins got his first big win as Washington HC as they beat #2 Kansas.  The good news is the Heels will be moving up this week as a bunch of top 10 teams lost.  Not that the rankings really matter but it's always nice to see them near the top.

One of the weakest showings I've ever witnessed live. As has always been the case - we couldn't hit free throws if our ******* lives depend on it. And yet again, the biggest difference between Calhoun's teams and KO's team reared its ugly head once again...the paint was open for cuse all night to stroll in for dunks and layups, and the few times they settled for jumpers and missed, UConn was unable to grab a single contested board.

Still, nothing beats the feeling of being personally invested in a rivalry along wit your fellow classmates and alum.

Even as UConn slogs through an awful season, the Garden was still electric and proved once again that MSG is home to the Huskies. UConn fans stayed through the final whistle, as evidenced by how incredibly loud it was near the end when we cut the cuse lead down to as much as 7. 

IMG_3143.MOV

I remember the good old days when UConn was more than just a women's basketball school.

Great weekend in CBB w/ duke losing at BC and Kansas losing again while also at MSG Kentucky blew out the same Monmouth team that took UConn to OT.  Looking forward to the rankings today. 

Archived