2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I remember the good old days when UConn was more than just a women's basketball school.

Yea man, me too. As a UConn alum and former student, I remember the feeling of celebrating championships with my fellow classmates. I remember exactly where I was on campus and who's dorm we pregamed in, and which houses we went to celebrate.

With all of unc's cheating and fake classes leading to championships, I'm sure unc students and alum have similar memories.

How does it feel to know that you'll never know such personal and collective euphoria?

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I remember the good old days when UConn was more than just a women's basketball school.

Great weekend in CBB w/ duke losing at BC and Kansas losing again while also at MSG Kentucky blew out the same Monmouth team that took UConn to OT.  Looking forward to the rankings today. 

Also, I love how deep you've let me get. Post after post, you can't seem to take me and my school out of your mouth. I hope the taste of Uconn never leaves you.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

the only school ever to be banned from the tournament for academics following a Nat'l championship:  UConn Men's basketball

Thank you for playing

don't worry, the women will win 7 of the next 10 so that should soothe you.:lol:

Don't forget that championship we won right afterwards! Also, since you're in favor of recognizing punishments as indication of an actual cheating violation, what does that say about your boo boy Brady? Guess he's also guilty, and therefore, none of his production is valid.

It's cute that you've included UConn in almost every post you've made in this thread recently (as well as posts addressed to me in other threads that actually pertain to football). Meanwhile, the only post I've made since October was a complete beatdown of my own school which included a video I took at the game.

An oldass unc fanboy talking to himself for years on end on a jets messageboard, while constantly calling out a UConn alum because of a down year. Please, keep posting about my school. I love it.

I am glad I can inspire you to post again.  I wish I could help w/ your sanity but I am not a Dr. 

down year?  UConn hasn't been relevant since Calhoun's recruits left.

I don't care about Brady, he's the best QB I have ever seen and a little deflation of a football won't change that.

Don't be upset b/c Carolina wins more and does it the right way unlike UConn.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=5228593

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=5662321

The University of Connecticut says its men's basketball program committed major NCAA recruiting violations. The school has imposed its own sanctions, including two years' probation and a loss of one scholarship for the next two seasons.

I guess they haven't been cheating lately?

another nice win for the Heels as they beat #20 UT on the road in their biggest game in a long time. Tennessee controlled most of the game but the Heels were too tough down the stretch and Cam Johnson is close to returning.  This team has been amazing so far, hopefully they can keep it up.

The Heels had a nice bounceback win on Saturday over a pretty good Ohio State team.  ACC play begins this Saturday w/ a game against Wake Forest.  w/ how tough the ACC should be this year they can't afford to slip up against teams like Wake if they want to win the ACC yet again.

Tough loss last night, it was 2016 national Championship game-esque.  if the game is properly officiated the Heels win going away BUT they still had the ball in their hands w/ a chance to win in the final seconds and missed.  Still should have won.

at the end of the first half the shot clock was winding down, Theo Pinson grabbed a rebound and was going up for a shot. a foul was called to send him to the line for 2 shots.  They went to replay and wiped it off even though he was fouled in the act of shooting w/ 1 sec left on the shot clock.

Pinson had 3 BS fouls including the one that changed momentum.  The Heels had been down double digits a good portion of the game, they fought back and had a 2 point lead w/ about 9 mins left when an FSU player drove the lane, elbowed pinson out of the ay and scored.  Instead of an offensive foul it was on Pinson and his 4th.  FSU then went on a run.

There is a great clip circulating where on a break an FSU player grabs Joel Berry's arm preventing him from getting to the ball and Berry tries to calmly talk to the official who walks away and turns his back on him. Funny how they never turn their backs on K when he's cursing at them.

Both teams shot 29 Threes, Carolina shot TWENTY more shots from inside the arc than FSU yet Carolina was whistled for 18 fouls and FSU for 9.  FSU shot 22 FTs, Carolina 9.  w/ less than 10 secs left Berry had Luke Maye wide open but he was fouled as he was trying to pass, would have been great if Carolina was in the binus but it was only the 5th foul of the half after FSU only had 4 in the 1st half meanwhile FSU was in double bonus w/ about 10 mins left in the game.

Mich State whooped the Heels, Wofford deserved the win but last night the Heels got screwed.  It happens, there will be games they get the benefit but last night was a screw job.

something about playing at UVa, always the same issues. Play in Chapel Hill, at a neutral site in ACC Tourney and it's always a different game but at UVa they always give the Heels fits.  This is why the FSU loss was so frustrating, a game they should have won and now they drop to 1-2 in the ACC but are joined by duke who lost to NC State so the day did end well but I'd rather have a Heels win and duke win than both lose.

Nice bounceback win for the Heels after 2 tough road losses.  Playing in the ACC is tough especially on the road, it's not like the cakewalk of the Big east w/ a weak non conf sched like certain teams have.

They beat up BC last night, Luke Maye got back on track w/ a huge night.  Roy tweaked the starting lineup inserting Cam Johnson and starting the game small w/o a real C.  we'll see if that continues. 

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

"Playing BC on the road, and also playing Wofford at home, is really tough unlike that cakewalk in the Big East, I'm lucky I have such a special connection to my 4-loss team"

-Junk

Don't forget that every single unc* loss is because the games weren't properly officiated even though unc* does everything the right way.

signed,
unc fan boy with nothing more than a special connection to this particular school

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

signed,
unc fan boy with nothing more than a special connection to this particular school

*Basketball program, not school.

To have a special connection to a school, you either need to work there at some time, or be an alum. 

Sitting on your couch with your shirt off while masterbating to Danny Green's jumpshot, then posting with one hand on a Jets message board about it even though no one cares, doesn't qualify as a special connection with a school.  It only qualifies as a strange obsession to a basketball team one has no part of. 

uh oh, there must be crap in here as the flies are swarming.

'nova's sched is always brutal, I mean they play the Big 5! so many powerhouses like St. Joe's, Penn, LaSalle.  How they win all those games I will never know.

They did play Tennessee at a neutral site where they struggled w/ the Vols, Carolina played a close game against UT as well but they actually went on the road which was the biggest game Tennessee has seen at home in maybe decades.  The only other decent team was Gonzaga and that was also at a "neutral" site at MSG.  Rough sched but w/ so many big time programs in the BE I guess we can understand.  To have to play St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton, Providence.  It's a dog fight every night:lol:

'Nova is almost guaranteed a 1 seed every year now b/c of that weak sched and how they continue to overrate the BE.  They have made it past the 2nd rd once this decade so they are doing ok. 

The Heels escaped the other night at undermanned Notre Dame.  This team just isn't playing well at the moment, Roy's teams usually peak later in the year but they have to get going fast w/ a good Clemson team coming to town.  Clemson has never won in Chapel Hill in their history and they want to make history tomorrow night.

Nice win by the Heels as one of the most amazing streaks in sports continues.  Clemson is now 0-59 in Chapel Hill all time. 

Clemson battled though, the Heels led by 15 at the half and 18 early 2nd half then Clemson hit 15 shots in a row, the game got down to as close as 2 points a few times but the Heels gutted out another win. Amazingly they built that 5 pt 1st half lead w/ Luke Maye and Joel Berry combining for 5 points as Maye was hit by friendly fire and had a gash on his nose that required 5 stitches before he came back in the 2nd half but both Maye and Berry were big down the stretch.

Connecticut continued their stellar play falling 73-49 to Memphis to drop to 10-8.  I'm old enough to remember when this program was more than just a women's basketball school.

There was a January not too long ago when my college buddies and I had just graduated from UConn. We were still single. We got together that weekend, watched the Huskies tear apart some no-name school on Saturday, and then went out to pre-celebrate that night in complete confidence that we'd shock the world the next day in Gillette and beat the 14-2 pats to go to our second straight AFC title game. A few of us did well with the ladies that night. The next day we settled in and watched Rex Ryan obliterate Brady and watched as Sanchez blossomed before our eyes and took (what we thought at the time) the final steps to becoming our FQB for the next 10-12 years. Later that night, we went out to celebrate the Jets, and also pre-celebrate the fact that our Huskies were going to pull their own shocker the next night by beating a Nova team that was ranked higher than us at the time. 

It was a boys weekend in which my two most significant rooting interests prospered, and I met a friend that night who ended up introducing me to my wife. 

To this day, that was one of the best weekends of my life.  

How times have changed.

The Jets haven't sniffed the playoffs since that year, it's essentially a foregone conclusion that the pats will never lose a playoff game for the rest of brady/belichicks career due to their "greatness" which always seems to be aided by the refs, and UConn is barely 1 game over .500 playing against sh*t competition. I didn't expect us to win, but we couldn't even hang with Nova for more than a full 5 minutes. It's disgraceful. 

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

There was a January not too long ago when my college buddies and I had just graduated from UConn. We were still single. We got together that weekend, watched the Huskies tear apart some no-name school on Saturday, and then went out to pre-celebrate that night in complete confidence that we'd shock the world the next day in Gillette and beat the 14-2 pats to go to our second straight AFC title game. A few of us did well with the ladies that night. The next day we settled in and watched Rex Ryan obliterate Brady and watched as Sanchez blossomed before our eyes and took (what we thought at the time) the final steps to becoming our FQB for the next 10-12 years. Later that night, we went out to celebrate the Jets, and also pre-celebrate the fact that our Huskies were going to pull their own shocker the next night by beating a Nova team that was ranked higher than us at the time. 

It was a boys weekend in which my two most significant rooting interests prospered, and I met a friend that night who ended up introducing me to my wife. 

To this day, that was one of the best weekends of my life.  

How times have changed.

The Jets haven't sniffed the playoffs since that year, it's essentially a foregone conclusion that the pats will never lose a playoff game for the rest of brady/belichicks career due to their "greatness" which always seems to be aided by the refs, and UConn is barely 1 game over .500 playing against sh*t competition. I didn't expect us to win, but we couldn't even hang with Nova for more than a full 5 minutes. It's disgraceful. 

I, too, had some kind of time warp during that game.  One of my buddies texted me before it tipped:  "The year is 2018. The #1 Cats are playing a game at UCONN, and there is no chance we lose. What a world."

I kind of hope they come back to the BE.

I'm assuming kevin Ollie must be on the hot seat? or at least it's getting warm?

That January day was a great one though in relation to CBB the Heels got crushed at Ga tech. I got the score in the car on the way home from Gilette but even that couldn't damper my happiness and the Heels would lose only 2 more times the rest of the season so it was a good year.

UConn will be back at some point, when I don't know but I wouldn't expect them down for too long.

uggghhh, another clunker fort he Heels.  they have not been playing well the last few weeks.  I'm not worried yet but winning the ACC a 3rd straight year is probably out at this point w/ 3 ACC losses already.  t was a quick trip back to the top 10, they will likely fall next week unless something crazy happens around the top 10.

another tough loss for the Heels and they have a tough game coming up at Clemson.  I guess I should start to worry?  State played great and I didn't think Carolina played poorly other than their 3 point D but NC State was on fire.  I was pretty amazing the game got to OT w/ the way State shot from 3.  we'll see how they respond at Clemson, they could be unranked a week from now or they could get a big road win and turn the season around.

By the way, Grayson Allen was up to his old tricks the other day when they lost to UVa(really impressive win for UVa).  He attempted a trip and failed then through his face into an opponent trying to draw a foul down late in the game. I don't know how he avoids suspension from the ACC or NCAA.  He's been a dirty player for years w/ numerous incidents and all he got was his "indefinite" 1 game suspension from the guy who taught him how to play like that.

They are struggling.  felton got suspended yesterday, Woods is already out and Pinson was going to give Berry a breather at backup PG then he goes out in the first minute on a dirty play.  I love the fight, they battled all the way back but didn't have enough to overcome.  This team played over their heads earlier this season, they have come back down to earth but I don't think they are as bad as they have played in recent weeks.  I think they can be a Sweet 16 team but we'll see. 

Archived