2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

Nice weekend in CBB w/ duke, KU and UK all losing while the Heels get back on track against an awful Pittsburgh team.  The greatest rivalry in American sports resumes this week.  I don't love the matchup for the Heels, on paper duke should kill them but just as there is something off about the Heels this year there is also something off about duke but if duke brings their A game they will win.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another great game in the Carolina-duke rivalry w/ the good guys winning this time.  duke was dominating that 1st half especially in the paint but a nice run to end the half brought a once 12 point lead down to 4 and gave the Heels a little momentum.  The Heels had an early 14-0 run and controlled the 2nd half.  duke got it down to 3 a couple of time but the Heels answered.  Theo Pinson only scored 4 points but played excellent D on Bagley and made some huge plays on offense.  Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson stepped up from outside, Berry was Berry.  Luke Maye struggled a bit against that duke athletic height but still had a decent game.  I expect a different outcome at Cameron so I will enjoy this one for now.  The heels have 2 more games btw now and Monday.  Apparently this was the first time since 1980 the ACC scheduled 3 games in 5 days for a team.  They plat at NC State tomorrow and home vs. ND on Monday.  Tough stretch but one that could propel them on a run if they find a way to win them.

another big win for the Heels this time at NC State and now they can cap this brutal 3 game stretch in 5 days w/ 3 wins tomorrow night vs. ND.  Luke Maye just dominated State, he's been amazing to watch.

UVa had a chance to move to #1 this week but will not after losing to Va Tech.  I'm guessing MSU moves up from 4 w/ the top 3 losing.

Today on CBS they have the bracket preview where the committee gives their top 16 teams as of today.  a year ago the Heels were the top 2 seed and worked their way up to a 1 seed.  Today I think they'll be a 3 seed and hopefully move up by next month.

odd AP poll.  UVa loses the other night and moves up from 2 to 1.  I wonder if the bracket release showing them currently as the top 1 seed influenced voters?  There are times teams can lose and not move, I don't recall ever seeing a team jump up.  I know #s 1 and 3 lost but it's still odd. 

The heels finish that 3 game stretch in 5 days w/ 3 wins after beating ND last night.  ND hung tough for a while but the Heels pulled away in the last 4-5 minutes for a comfortable win.  This team is really starting to play well.  I don't know what the ceiling is but it's nice to see them playing better again.  They have a tough last 4 games w/ 3 of them being on the road: at Louisville, at SU and at duke w/ the home game being vs. Miami. 

The Heels keep rolling, this team taking care of business at Louisville.  They are really playing well with 3 regular season games left.  A 1 seed is not out of the question if they run the table and win the ACC Tourney.  More than likely at this point they will be a 2 or 3 seed.  Big game at Syracuse on Wednesday then they go home to face Miami before wrapping up the reg season at duke.  As of now they have the 3 seed in the ACC tourney, win this 3 games and they get the 2 seed. should be a fun few weeks before the tourney.

the 2013 title was the last year of the real Big East, w/ that removed let's look at the ACC vs. the Big East from 1980-2013:

National Championships:

ACC 10

BE 6

Final Four apps:

ACC 29

BE 17

longest streak of FFs:

ACC 8 seasons(1988-1995)

BE 3 seasons(2009-2011)

Number of FFs w/ multiple teams:

ACC 5

BE 3

Not that it was ever really debatable but the ACC was far and away the best conference during the old BE days.  There were certain years the BE was best but overall it wasn't close.

The Heels keep rolling, on the road in front of the largest crowd of the season w/ Syracuse desperate for a win to get to the Tourney and they made big plays down the stretch.  For about 3/4 of the game Carolina put on a clinic but they made some big mistakes in a big SU run which eventually tied the game but Joel Berry had a great steal and layup to put Carolina back in front then nailed 2 FTs for the final pts in a 4 point win.  They are off until Tuesday when Miami goes to Chapel Hill for Senior Night.

Sean Miller is done at Arizona as the FBI has him on a wiretape discussing paying Ayton $100K.  There will be more coaches and programs to go down. UK and Ku look to be in some trouble, Carolina may soon pass them for most wins after they have some wins vacated.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:35 AM, nyjunc said:

Sean Miller is done at Arizona as the FBI has him on a wiretape discussing paying Ayton $100K.  There will be more coaches and programs to go down. UK and Ku look to be in some trouble, Carolina may soon pass them for most wins after they have some wins vacated.

Every single major program pays players.

Tough loss for the Heels last night.  They played so poorly and Miami played well, they trailed by as many as 16 but came all the way back to tie it w/ a huge 3 by Berry w/ 4 secs left only to see Miami pull a Villanova on them by nailing a 3 just inside halfcourt at the buzzer.  as poorly as the Heels played if they just shot their FTs well they would have won.  Miami as a team is the worst FT shooting team in the ACC and one of the worst in the Country and they shot 92% from the line, the heels shot 65% and had big misses from Berry and Johnson who are basically automatic on the line.  Each got fouled shooting 3's which is rare for Carolina and on those attempt the 2 went 3-6.  Tough way to see Berry and Pinson go out, they still control their own destiny.  I think if they win out they earn a 1 seed in the Tourney but they could very easily lose again on sat at duke and fall back to being a 3 seed.

another tough loss.  they led by 10 at the half and were up 78 w/ around 10 mins left but completely melted down the stretch. They played awful but it's tough when you only shoot 5 FTs for an entire game. They still had chances to overcome and failed.  Now they are in a unique situation having to win 4 games to win the ACC Tourney but I like their draw so we'll see what happens. I think 1 win guarantees them a 3 seed in the NCAAs, if they make the championship game or win it they should get a 2. if they go one and done they may fall back to a 4.  Big week ahead.

duke played great the last 10 minutes and Carolina was terrible so I am not blaming the refs but duke was in the bonus w/ 12 mins to play, Carolina never hit the bonus.  one of the reasons the game was even close was b/c duke kept missing their FTs and missed some front end of 1 and 1's.  with that duke shot 20 and Carolina 5.  what's funny is this is the first time duke is an inside out team in a long time and Carolina is outside in, let's look at the last game of 2017 btw the 2 and last night.

2017 Carolina inside out, dominated inside

2018 duke inside out, dominated inside.

2017 final game at UNC: duke 35, Carolina 21. Carolina attempted 67 shots, duke 54

2018 final game at Cameron: duke 20 FTAs, Carolina 5. Carolina attempted 70 shots, duke 62 

amazing how that works out.  I was watching a game on classic sports w/ Carolina at duke from 2008.  Tyler Hansbrough was on his way to National Player of the year and Dick Vitale was calling the game in amazement how Hansbrough hadn't shot a FT yet but then explaining when talking to K how their plan was to not send him to the FT line.  ESPN proceeded to show a highlight reel of Hansbrough during the game getting crushed at every turn yet this was one of just 2 games in his career(the other as a freshman) where he didn't attempt a single Free Throw.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

My Gators finished the season strong. I was there in Gville when the damn near ran Kentucky out of the gym.

This is a team nobody wants to face because if they're on...they're a tough out. 

Nice man.  Always love when you guys beat Kentucky.

My Seahawks made the CAA Semi-Finals.  So we're 8 or 9 wins away from the national title!  lol.

after 3 lower seeded teams won the earlier ACC Tourney games(Louisville, BC and ND) the Heels took care of business blowing out Syracuse last night setting up a little revenge game vs. Miami after the Canes spoiled Senior night for the Heels last week.

One other note, longtime UNC broadcaster Woody Durham died.  as a kid he was the voice I heard on many of the highlights then as the internet became a thing I was able to listen to games online that weren't on TV and it was a lot of fun listening to him.

yesterday 3 higher seeded teams won in the ACC except Carolina who was the lone lower seed to win after pulling away from Miami in the 2nd half.  It was an odd game that started w/ Carolina trailing 14-0 but they got the lead by halftime and ran away for a 17 pt win.  It was great to get the win but duke awaits this evening and it would really suck to lose to those guys again which is likely going to happen.  Hopefully the heels play great and find a way to win and in the process steal the Charlotte pod in the Tourney but it's going to be really tough.

It's Carolina and Virginia for the ACC title, a rematch of the last time the Heels won the ACC Tournament 2 years ago. 

What a crazy game against duke, another incident for the dirtiest player in CBB, some rough play from both sides, GREAT defense from Carolina(until the final 5 mins).  The Heels built up a 16 pt lead as they were dominating duke w/ about 6 mins left then they went in to run out the clock mode and nearly blew it but a series of crazy plays ended in their favor in the final minute and they held on.

I think they have locked up at least a #2 seed and possibly could get a 1 if they win tonight which would be amazing and if the Heels keep playing D like they have in this ACC Tourney they could have a real chance to do big things in the NCAAs. 

one note about duke which shows how great Bagley is.  I felt like Carolina completely shut him down but you turn around and he ends up w/ 19 pts and 13 rebs.  He is just a great basketball player, looking forward to him moving on.

They couldn't quite pull it off against UVa but the Heels made a great run in the ACC Tourney.  UVa played about as well as they could and the Heels still had a chance late in a close game.  If UVa shoots like they did against Carolina they will be tough to beat.  They missed 1 FT and shot over 50% from 3. It's amazing Carolina was even in the game.  Now it's on to the Tourney, they will be a 2 seed somewhere.

I think it was pretty clear Carolina would have been the 1 seed in the West if they beat UVa the other night.  The difference in that game is if seeding holds they would play Michigan in the Sweet 16 instead of Gonzaga.  Both are good teams capable of beating them so that loss the other night didn't really hurt them though the 2nd rd is tougher likely to face Texas A&M. 

I can't complain about the heels draw which scares me.  It looks like one they can take to San Antonio but this team is capable of being upset in rd 1(though Roy has never lost a 1st rd game which is amazing) or going all the way.  Looking forward to one last run w/ Berry & Pinson, they have a chance to lead the Heels to 3 straight FFs for the first time since the 60s(they have made it 2x in a row numerous times since then)

A few months ago I bought tix for the Sweet 16 in Omaha. 

Now all I need is for the Quakers to upset Kansas, then beat either Seton Hall/NC State and I get to see them play in the tourney.  Think we got screwed with the 16 seed -- don't think an Ivy League team has ever been a 16 before.  But, some day, a 16 seed has to beat a 1, right?  Why not Thursday.

Although, more likely, I get to see Kansas, Duke and Mich State in the Sweet 16, which isn't too bad either.  Sounds more like a Final 4.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

A few months ago I bought tix for the Sweet 16 in Omaha. 

Now all I need is for the Quakers to upset Kansas, then beat either Seton Hall/NC State and I get to see them play in the tourney.  Think we got screwed with the 16 seed -- don't think an Ivy League team has ever been a 16 before.  But, some day, a 16 seed has to beat a 1, right?  Why not Thursday.

Although, more likely, I get to see Kansas, Duke and Mich State in the Sweet 16, which isn't too bad either.  Sounds more like a Final 4.

some day it will happen, maybe it happens this year? The top seeds this year aren't as strong as usual, they will likely win but who knows?  good luck.

I have Kansas losing to NC State in rd 2, I'm just not a believer in Kansas.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

some day it will happen, maybe it happens this year? The top seeds this year aren't as strong as usual, they will likely win but who knows?  good luck.

I have Kansas losing to NC State in rd 2, I'm just not a believer in Kansas.

Kansas is probably the weakest of the 4 top seeds.  Since $$ is involved, I will pick them over Penn, but beyond that, I am not going to have them going very far.  I want to at least be able to enjoy it if somehow, we find a way to upset them.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Kansas is probably the weakest of the 4 top seeds.  Since $$ is involved, I will pick them over Penn, but beyond that, I am not going to have them going very far.  I want to at least be able to enjoy it if somehow, we find a way to upset them.

I think both the Big 12 and Big east have been severely overrated.  I think Xavier is the weakest 1 seed w/ Kansas 2nd weakest.  That doesn't always matter, it's about matchups.  I think if NC State can get by rd 1 they won't be intimidated by Kansas like many teams are having beat Carolina and duke along w/ Arizona(though they weren't whole at the time).

Hope it stays close then Kansas will start to get tight.  Keep it competitive for as long as you can to make them feel the pressure.

Here are my picks(I reserve the right to change my mind btw now and Thursday)

East Region 1st rd

Nova over LIU Brooklyn/Radford

Va Tech over Bama

WVU over Murray State

Wich State over Marshall

UCLA/St. Bon over Florida

SFA over Texas Tech

Arkansas over Butler

Purdue over Cal St. Fullerton

2nd rd:

nova over Va Tech

WVU over Wich State