2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yet, UConn hasn't missed a beat, adding two more titles to their collection since then.

Stop it!! The team was below .500 this yr. Their top recruit for 2017 is ranked #36.

For Duke its #3 and #8 thus far

UCONN was like UNLV...passing fad.

Not hoops royalty like Duke, UNC, UK, Louisville, Kansas, UCLA, etc.

You're right, UConn doesn't get the recruits or have the HoF coaching or the special treatment of a duke/unc*/kentucky. Yet they have more championships than all of them over the last quarter-century. The one sub .500 record UConn's had in 25 years is because of season ending injuries to our top guys in October. Yet the dukies come out to talk.

You go be proud of your membership to "College basketball royalty" as you lick up Grayson's tears for not even getting to the sweet sixteen. I'm enjoying my school's fad of sustained success. 

On 3/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, AzogtheDefiler said:

Stop it!! The team was below .500 this yr. Their top recruit for 2017 is ranked #36.

For Duke its #3 and #8 thus far

UCONN was like UNLV...passing fad.

Not hoops royalty like Duke, UNC, UK, Louisville, Kansas, UCLA, etc.

Quite the...trip...to the big dance for the dukies this year!

grayson-allen-sad-duke-blue-devils-unc-w

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

South Carolina?  Really? 

**** YOU SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry man.  You were the victim of arguably the whackiest Elite 8 in recent memory.  Can't take away from a fantastic season, however.  Wish we could have beaten Virginia and played you guys.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sorry man.  You were the victim of arguably the whackiest Elite 8 in recent memory.  Can't take away from a fantastic season, however.  Wish we could have beaten Virginia and played you guys.

I want to complain about the officiating.  It seemed ridiculously one sided.  But the Gators were ice cold in the second half and ultimately if they knock down a few threes they probably win that game. 

It was a fun ride and I didnt think they could get that far without Big John.  I'm disappointed because you couldnt have asked for an easier road the Final Four but that was still a great season.  I just hope this exposure helps White on the recruiting trails.  I think it should. 

Looks like the finalists for the UNCW job are Florida Gulf Coast HC Joe Dooley, Arizona assistant David Pasternack, and UNC assistant C.B. McGrath.

I'd be happy with Dooley or Pasternack.  Horrified if we hire McGrath.  He's spent the last 18 years of his life living in a little bubble with Roy Williams, and recently started a twitter war with Duke fans. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Yeah, how awful for C.B. to learn from one of the all time greats for 20 years knowing what it takes to win at a big time program.  The dumb things people say.

What it takes to win at a big-time program are not the same as what it takes to win at a mid-major.  You don't learn those things by playing at Kansas and then being an assistant at Kansas and UNC over 2 decades.  You learn those things by being the HC at smaller schools then climbing the ladder to become a HC at bigger schools later.    UNCW doesn't exactly have McDonalds All-Americans lining up to play here. 

You can learn under a coach like Roy for a few years, but eventually you need to be looking to pave your own path.  It shouldn't have taken him 18 years to come to this point, especially if he thinks there's a chance he could be the HC at Kansas or UNC some day. 

The fact that he never went outside the bubble means he either doesn't have the stones to try to run his own program or doesn't have much interest in doing so.  Neither of those possibilities make him a good candidate to coach here. 

This article about Pasternack sheds some light on what I'm talking about, if anyone cares:  http://www.si.com/vault/2010/08/30/105976958/anything-but-big-and-easy

At the beginning of the NCAA's July recruiting period three years ago, just before he took the UNO job, Pasternack was with his boss at Cal, Ben Braun, at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron. James's camp was where high-major coaches went to see elite prospects. On July 6, 2010, Pasternack is at a showcase in a four-court health club on a stretch of tired strip malls in Jonesboro, Ga. Most of the players here are "availables" in recruiting parlance—fresh high school graduates or junior college sophomores who've yet to receive scholarship offers. They've paid $120 each for two days of scrimmaging in jerseys with THE HOOP DREAM on the front. This is where desperate players go to be seen by desperate coaches.

Pasternack leafs through a packet of players' names and contact information for which he paid $100 at the door. He keeps a close eye on area codes: Louisianans pay in-state tuition, which is less than a third ($4,800) of the out-of-state fees. "Normally, in July you're just babysitting kids for next year," Pasternack says. "Coach K watching five-star guys—that's not recruiting. This is recruiting."

^^^ The above is something McGrath knows nothing about. 

Archived