2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/4/2017 at 11:54 PM, deckerfan said:

what a beatdown for the Gators

We've been balling lately.  Even when we dont play great (see Saturday), we're still winning by double digits.

Just sucks the SEC is so terrible.  It would be so bad if the Gators could have pulled off a win vs. Gonzaga or Duke or FSU before conference play...but they played them well and I think it set them up for SEC play.  And now we are in the driver seat for the conference!!!

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I forgot to mention this, tragedy struck a former big time CBB player as Fab melo died over the weekend.  Incredibly sad at only 26 years old.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18668751/former-syracuse-boston-celtics-center-fab-melo-dies-brazil

That is sad.  I'll always remember him as a guy who gave it his all and looked 50 in college. 

best shooter plays like crap

passing game goes to hell

key veteran gets hurt

opponent is top 10 and their strength is your weakness

doesn't matter, ho-hum win 

geno waited too long to put butler in but Gabby and Crystal are enough when you are

UCONN

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

key veteran gets hurt

geno waited too long to put butler in but Gabby and Crystal are enough when you are

UCONN

Haven't logged on to JN in almost a month due to a new job that's taking everything out of me, but couldn't let this one go. Just unreal. Love my team. 

9 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Haven't logged on to JN in almost a month due to a new job that's taking everything out of me, but couldn't let this one go. Just unreal. Love my team. 

how come you don't love YOUR men's team? you can find the time to log in and post about 100 straight wins but crickets w/ the other team.  I wonder why that is?

9 hours ago, Larz said:

key veteran gets hurt

UCONN

9 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Wait, you guys watch women's basketball?  lmfao.  Like seriously watch it?  I legit didnt know there were non-female's that watched women's basketball considering it's literally the worst sport you can watch in the entire world. 

Figure skating is 100x more exciting.  Curling is 100x more exciting.  I rather watching turtles racing snails.  

Women's basketball is torture.  Just like country music. 

This season has turned into a serious crap shoot.  I have no clue who's going to emerge by March Madness time as the favorite. 

I look at Kansas and see incredible guard play and think they've got the best shot but it's Kansas who lives to come up short in March.

Or does Nova with some experience and good guard play become the favorites?  

I will never believe in Gonzaga come tourney time. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe this is the year they finally break through?  They've never been to a Final 4, much less a title game, while having to watch mid-majors (or at least teams who were in mid-major leagues at the time) like George Mason, VCU, Wichita St. and Butler accomplish the feat.  That team is playing with some serious confidence this year. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe this is the year they finally break through?  They've never been to a Final 4, much less a title game.  That team is playing with some serious confidence this year. 

Dont they always?  I dont know man, some teams just have that type of thing hanging over their head and can never get over it.

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

This season has turned into a serious crap shoot.  I have no clue who's going to emerge by March Madness time as the favorite. 

I look at Kansas and see incredible guard play and think they've got the best shot but it's Kansas who lives to come up short in March.

Or does Nova with some experience and good guard play become the favorites?  

it's basically like this every year in this era.  the last dominant team to win was Carolina in 2009.  every year there are a bunch of teams that can win.

I never trust Bill Self teams in March, always great in the overrated big 12 and always go out early in the Tourney. he does have 2 FFs but one he beat a mid major to get there(and yes I know they beat Carolina in the FF) and the other beat Carolina in the elite 8 w/ a freshamn 4th string PG who is still on the team and cannot get playing time outside of garbage time(he went on mormon mission for 2 years) and a homecourt advantage they didn't earn w/ the game in St. Louis.  I want Carolina to play kansas badly in the Tourney.

'Nova has an excellent team and very well could win another but it's hard to repeat, I don't see them getting back to the FF this year but I could change my mind when I see the brackets.

Gonzaga is really good, that doesn't mean they will finally break through but they are a worthy contender.

9 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

tough loss last night for syracuse. really could of used that win. really hoping they make the tourney. 

that would have been almost a clincher for them if they won but they are still in good shape assuming they finish strong.

at Ga tech isn't easy(ask Carolina and a few others) but they should be able to win

vs. duke, duke is playing better but at the dome I like SU

at UL- that's a loss

vs. GT- win

I think they go 3-1, even if they go 2-2 they will be in a good spot, 3-1 locks it up though.

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont they always?  I dont know man, some teams just have that type of thing hanging over their head and can never get over it.

They do.  But you get enough raffle tickets and eventually one will pay off.  As a dominant team out of a weak league who also manages to get some nice non-conference wins, they're almost always going to get a high seed in the dance.  Eventually they'll take advantage. 

it took Jay Wright and 'Nova a long time to break through which they finally did in 2009, then took another 7 years which included not making a single sweet 16 btw 2010 and 2015.  'Nova fans were getting fed up then they go on an amazing run.  I wouldn't count out Gonzaga based on their past though I have been burned believing in them before.

31 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

tough loss last night for syracuse. really could of used that win. really hoping they make the tourney. 

Crazy season for them.  They've had some big wins but have had some terrible losses.  They're a hard team to figure out.  I'll tell you this, if they make it...which they should...nobody wants to face them because when they're on, they've proven they can play with anyone. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Crazy season for them.  They've had some big wins but have had some terrible losses.  They're a hard team to figure out.  I'll tell you this, if they make it...which they should...nobody wants to face them because when they're on, they've proven they can play with anyone. 

I think they will make it, they were terrible early but have been very good in the toughest conference in the Country.  what I think will happen is that they will make it, they will be everyone's sleeper to make a deep run b/c they did it last year and they will lose in the 1st round.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's basically like this every year in this era.  the last dominant team to win was Carolina in 2009.  every year there are a bunch of teams that can win.

I never trust Bill Self teams in March, always great in the overrated big 12 and always go out early in the Tourney. he does have 2 FFs but one he beat a mid major to get there(and yes I know they beat Carolina in the FF) and the other beat Carolina in the elite 8 w/ a freshamn 4th string PG who is still on the team and cannot get playing time outside of garbage time(he went on mormon mission for 2 years) and a homecourt advantage they didn't earn w/ the game in St. Louis.  I want Carolina to play kansas badly in the Tourney.

'Nova has an excellent team and very well could win another but it's hard to repeat, I don't see them getting back to the FF this year but I could change my mind when I see the brackets.

Gonzaga is really good, that doesn't mean they will finally break through but they are a worthy contender.

Well now you're just having a very selective homerific memory.  I'm pretty sure the Kentucky led Anthony Davis team in 2012 was as dominate of a college team as you can possibly field...from start to finish. 2 losses on the year, they were bad to the bone and everyone knew it was their year.  Probably better than that loaded UNC team in 09, which lived and died by the health of Ty Lawson.

And I just flat out disagree with the statement, "it's like this every year".  You had the Florida teams, clear best team in the country 2 years straight.  Right before them, UNC was the clear best team in the country.  Right after them, that Kansas team was pretty damn dominate. Then the Plumlee/Singer led Duke teams were dominate. That Louisville team was a clear cut favorite from day 1 led by a bunch of upperclassmen maybe not dominate but they werent a surprise. Duke was loaded 2 years ago. 

Really the only "surprise" teams that I can remember in recent history was UConn twice and Nova last year. 

sh*t, I think you could do this all the way back to that UConn team with Oakfor, Gordon and Villanueva.  It's actually been pretty consistent that going into the season and on into the tourney, one team looked head and shoulder above the rest. 

This year?  No clue who will emerge.  There isnt a dominate team, I mean sure, Gonzaga is undefeated but they've played what, 2 ranked on teams the year?

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They do.  But you get enough raffle tickets and eventually one will pay off.  As a dominant team out of a weak league who also manages to get some nice non-conference wins, they're almost always going to get a high seed in the dance.  Eventually they'll take advantage. 

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it took Jay Wright and 'Nova a long time to break through which they finally did in 2009, then took another 7 years which included not making a single sweet 16 btw 2010 and 2015.  'Nova fans were getting fed up then they go on an amazing run.  I wouldn't count out Gonzaga based on their past though I have been burned believing in them before.

This is true.  Very true.  I just typically stick to the old "history repeats itself" thingy.  

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think they will make it, they were terrible early but have been very good in the toughest conference in the Country.  what I think will happen is that they will make it, they will be everyone's sleeper to make a deep run b/c they did it last year and they will lose in the 1st round.

Very Syracuse like prediction. haha

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

i hope so. they are very good defensively. on offense they go through spurts where they just stand around and jack up threes.  they need to attack more and try to get lydon involved down low.  really wish malachi richardson didnt leave early after last season. he was clutch for them last season down the stretch and now i believe he is in the d league.  

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well now you're just having a very selective homerific memory.  I'm pretty sure the Kentucky led Anthony Davis team in 2012 was as dominate of a college team as you can possibly field...from start to finish. 2 losses on the year, they were bad to the bone and everyone knew it was their year.  Probably better than that loaded UNC team in 09, which lived and died by the health of Ty Lawson.

And I just flat out disagree with the statement, "it's like this every year".  You had the Florida teams, clear best team in the country 2 years straight.  Right before them, UNC was the clear best team in the country.  Right after them, that Kansas team was pretty damn dominate. Then the Plumlee/Singer led Duke teams were dominate. That Louisville team was a clear cut favorite from day 1 led by a bunch of upperclassmen maybe not dominate but they werent a surprise. Duke was loaded 2 years ago. 

Really the only "surprise" teams that I can remember in recent history was UConn twice and Nova last year. 

sh*t, I think you could do this all the way back to that UConn team with Oakfor, Gordon and Villanueva.  It's actually been pretty consistent that going into the season and on into the tourney, one team looked head and shoulder above the rest. 

This year?  No clue who will emerge.  There isnt a dominate team, I mean sure, Gonzaga is undefeated but they've played what, 2 ranked on teams the year?

they were not, they were an excellent team but they won that Nat'l title oin large part b/c Kendall Marshall got hurt in the Tournament and Carolina's top 2 backup PGs were already hurt so they used a 4th string freshman and still nearly beat kansas in what was essentially a road game in the elite 8.

you also have to remember when Carolina wasn't playing well early that season UK beat Carolina by 1 at home.  No, that team wasn't close to Carolina '09.  carolina '09 dminated the Tourney from start to finish, the closest game they played was a 12 point win that wasn't anywhere near as close as the final score indicated. take any of UK's top players from 2012, do they win? 

Florida was not clearly the best team either year really.  they made a surprise run in 2006, they were one of the favorite's in 2007 but not clear cut.

Carolina in '05 was one of the favorites along w/ Illinois who had 1 loss and was a great college team.

the Kansas team in '08 was one of the best but they were not dominant, 4 #1 seeds made it that year and KU needed a million missed FTs late to pull off that miracle.

the plumlee/singler team was far from dominant and they had a creampuff road to a title where they beat a hobbled WVU team and a mid major for the title.  UKwas the favorite and got picked off just like in 2015.

duke was loaded 2 years ago but they were a big question mark in February, everything broke right for them including Uk getting upset.

Louisville was one of the favorites, they were not a dominant team though.

'04 UConn wasn't even a #1 seed

there will always be favorites, sometimes they win and sometimes they don't but Carolina was the first unanimous #1 in preseason polls, had some early injury issues and weathered them then were dominant like no team since '96 UK in the Tourney.  the only team that even gave them somewhat of a game was LSU when Lawson was hobbled in the 1st half.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they were not, they were an excellent team but they won that Nat'l title oin large part b/c Kendall Marshall got hurt in the Tournament and Carolina's top 2 backup PGs were already hurt so they used a 4th string freshman and still nearly beat kansas in what was essentially a road game in the elite 8.

you also have to remember when Carolina wasn't playing well early that season UK beat Carolina by 1 at home.  No, that team wasn't close to Carolina '09.  carolina '09 dminated the Tourney from start to finish, the closest game they played was a 12 point win that wasn't anywhere near as close as the final score indicated. take any of UK's top players from 2012, do they win? 

Florida was not clearly the best team either year really.  they made a surprise run in 2006, they were one of the favorite's in 2007 but not clear cut.

Carolina in '05 was one of the favorites along w/ Illinois who had 1 loss and was a great college team.

the Kansas team in '08 was one of the best but they were not dominant, 4 #1 seeds made it that year and KU needed a million missed FTs late to pull off that miracle.

the plumlee/singler team was far from dominant and they had a creampuff road to a title where they beat a hobbled WVU team and a mid major for the title.  UKwas the favorite and got picked off just like in 2015.

duke was loaded 2 years ago but they were a big question mark in February, everything broke right for them including Uk getting upset.

Louisville was one of the favorites, they were not a dominant team though.

'04 UConn wasn't even a #1 seed

there will always be favorites, sometimes they win and sometimes they don't but Carolina was the first unanimous #1 in preseason polls, had some early injury issues and weathered them then were dominant like no team since '96 UK in the Tourney.  the only team that even gave them somewhat of a game was LSU when Lawson was hobbled in the 1st half.

I'm not going to pick this apart and I could easily because it's clearly pointless as it will fall on very deaf homerific ears but you're just flat our wrong.  

One of the worst posts I've read in a long time.

lmfao

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Boeheim teams tend to go out early when people pick them and expectations are high and make a run when everyone doubts them and they have no expectations.  

Yep.  It's his MO.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

by the way, it's fun actually discussing CBB.  we may disagree but that's part of the fun.  thanks for a fun discussion so far and hopefully we can carry it through the tourney.

Agreed...I enjoy it but you have a strong agenda in here.  And that's cool.  They're your team but it clouds your perception like I've never seen before...that last post was pure poopoo.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm not going to pick this apart and I could easily because it's clearly pointless as it will fall on very deaf homerific ears but you're just flat our wrong.  

lmfao

if you think 3 seeded UF was the favorite to win the title in 2006 I don't know what to say to that.

2006 duke was the favorite

2007 UNC/UF/OSU were the favorites

2008 UNC/KU/UCLA/Memphis were the favorites

2009 UNC was the favorite

2010 UK was the favorite

2011 KU and duke were the favorites

2012 UNC and UK were the favorites

2013 UL and IU were the favorites

2014 UF and AZ were the favorites

2015 UK was the favorite

2016 UNC and KU were the favorites

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yep.  It's his MO.

Agreed...I enjoy it but you have a strong agenda in here.  And that's cool.  They're your team but it clouds your perception like I've never seen before...that last post was pure poopoo.

obviously I am biased towards Carolina but there's a lot of truth in my posts.  

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

lmfao

lol.  Welcome to the delusional world of nyjunc.  We're just living in it. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

if you think 3 seeded UF was the favorite to win the title in 2006 I don't know what to say to that.

2006 duke was the favorite

2007 UNC/UF/OSU were the favorites

2008 UNC/KU/UCLA/Memphis were the favorites

2009 UNC was the favorite

2010 UK was the favorite

2011 KU and duke were the favorites

2012 UNC and UK were the favorites

2013 UL and IU were the favorites

2014 UF and AZ were the favorites

2015 UK was the favorite

2016 UNC and KU were the favorites

obviously I am biased towards Carolina but there's a lot of truth in my posts.  

So you've basically proven my point sans the first Florida team.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

So you've basically proven my point sans the first Florida team.  Thanks!

how so?

what you fail to remember though is how big of a favorite Carolina was entering that year.  they were the FIRST unanimous #1 in both preseason polls and they dominated the Tourney like very few have before them.  In Most years there are multiple favorites, this year we'd probably say 'Nova and kansas but obviously many more besides them can win just like in those other years.

2006 duke didn't make it past the sweet 16, a 3 seed won it all out of nowhere. not a single 1 seed made the FF

2008 there were 4 great teams head and shoulders above everyone

2010 UK didn't make the FF.  2 5 seeds made the FF, only one 1 seed.

2011 KU lost to a mid major in regional final, duke got thrashed in the sweet 16.  VCU and Butler made the FF, a 3 seed in UConn won it all

2013 IU lost in sweet 16, 2 4 seeds and a 9 seed made FF. only one 1 seed.

2014 an 8 seed and 7 seed played for Nat'l title. 

2015 3 1's and a 7 seed made FF

2016 only one 1 seed made FF along w/ two 2's and a 10.

In most years it's pretty wide open, that's the way it is in the one and done era(and the NCAA's BS against Carolina which has cost the Heels multiple title shots).

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

how so?

what you fail to remember though is how big of a favorite Carolina was entering that year.  they were the FIRST unanimous #1 in both preseason polls and they dominated the Tourney like very few have before them.  In Most years there are multiple favorites, this year we'd probably say 'Nova and kansas but obviously many more besides them can win just like in those other years.

2006 duke didn't make it past the sweet 16, a 3 seed won it all out of nowhere. not a single 1 seed made the FF

2008 there were 4 great teams head and shoulders above everyone

2010 UK didn't make the FF.  2 5 seeds made the FF, only one 1 seed.

2011 KU lost to a mid major in regional final, duke got thrashed in the sweet 16.  VCU and Butler made the FF, a 3 seed in UConn won it all

2013 IU lost in sweet 16, 2 4 seeds and a 9 seed made FF. only one 1 seed.

2014 an 8 seed and 7 seed played for Nat'l title. 

2015 3 1's and a 7 seed made FF

2016 only one 1 seed made FF along w/ two 2's and a 10.

In most years it's pretty wide open, that's the way it is in the one and done era(and the NCAA's BS against Carolina which has cost the Heels multiple title shots).

You're talking about favorites and teams emerging as the favorites.  Just because they didnt win it, didnt mean it didnt happen.  The tourney is crap shoot, no doubt....but the favorites are not and they emerge as such.  I never said the favorites emerge and win it every year.  I just said by this time the favorites emerge and it's not happening this year outside of 1 undefeated team who plays nobody. 

You've literally done all the work for me, showing me the "favorites".  Whether they win it all or not wasnt my point. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're talking about favorites and teams emerging as the favorites.  Just because they didnt win it, didnt mean it didnt happen.  The tourney is crap shoot, no doubt....but the favorites are not and they emerge as such.  I never said the favorites emerge and win it every year.  I just said by this time the favorites emerge and it's not happening this year outside of 1 undefeated team who plays nobody. 

You've literally done all the work for me, showing me the "favorites".  Whether they win it all or not wasnt my point. 

there have been very few years where this is a run away and hide favorite.  I would say 2009 UNC, 2015 UK- who else in recent memory?  '96 UK? '92 duke?

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

there have been very few years where this is a run away and hide favorite.  I would say 2009 UNC, 2015 UK- who else in recent memory?  '96 UK? '92 duke?

Again, I said favorite.  Not run away and hide.  If there was a run away and hide, I wouldnt have brought this up.

I assume you're talking about teams who were favorites but didnt make it or both considering your examples.  How long do you want to go back? lol 

Because I could agrue from 91-00 that all the winners maybe werent run away and hide per say but we all expected to be there in the end with a few run away and hide teams. Duke, UK, Arkansas, UCLA, UConn, etc. 

Followed by the Bozer, Battier led Duke...that was run away and hide.  

Maryland basically was after they made the F4 the year before led by Juan Dixon.  

The 2nd Florida team

2005/2009 UNC.

2012 UK

Just a few that come to mind. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Again, I said favorite.  Not run away and hide.  If there was a run away and hide, I wouldnt have brought this up.

I assume you're talking about teams who were favorites but didnt make it or both considering your examples.  How long do you want to go back? lol 

Because I could agrue from 91-00 that all the winners maybe werent run away and hide per say but we all expected to be there in the end with a few run away and hide teams. Duke, UK, Arkansas, UCLA, UConn, etc. 

Followed by the Bozer, Battier led Duke...that was run away and hide.  

Maryland basically was after they made the F4 the year before led by Juan Dixon.  

The 2nd Florida team

2005/2009 UNC.

2012 UK

Just a few that come to mind. 

that's my point, I said the last dominant team to win was Carolina 2009.  you can make an argument for UK 2012 but again a big reason why they won was b/c Carolina got knocked out after Marshall got hurt.

only duke '92 and UK '96 were run away and hide teams.

1991 UNLV was the huge favorite and got picked off

1992 duke was and won

1993 UK was the favorite and lost in FF

1994 UNC was the heavy favorite and lost in 2nd rd

1995 UK was probably the biggest favorite and lost in elite 8

1996 UK was far and away favorite and dominated

1997 I don't know who was favorite, no dominant teams

1998 was UNC, AZ and duke as favorites, only Carolina made FF and lost against heavy underdog Utah.

1999 duke was HUGE favorite, UConn upset them

Maryland was A favorite, I wouldn't say far and away THE favorite.

2007 UF was definitely one of the favorites, I don't think they were a heavy favorite.

'05 Carolina was a favorite not THE favorite

'09 Carolina was THE favorite

'12 UK was not THE favorite, I think Carolina was unanimous #1 in both polls that year too, they were supposed to be 2009 like.  they lost by 1 at UK when they weren't playing well, they would have been favored in a rematch if Marshall doesn't get hurt.

Archived