Ryan Clady a Jet [MERGED]

JetsFanatic

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Regardless of if you think it's the right move, don't think anyone can deny it's Williams that makes the potential trade possible.  So Williams has a dramatic effect on the team already.

Which is why I'm leaning towards that pick being a mistake. Especially when an edge guy was there for us to take. If Beasley doesn't pan out at least we took a shot at someone playing a premium position and not another interior lineman.

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

There's absolutely no way that Ryan Fitzpatrick has a done deal with the Jets and the media doesn't know about it.  Do I believe he will return, yes. Do I wish he would ride off into the sunset, yes . I think I have to be the only Jet fan who thinks that IK set the Jets franchise back 1 yr .

I'm right there with ya.  I think IK and then Bowles' eventual decision to keep Fitz in killed our hopes of the playoffs.  And it's looking like we're about to double-down on the Fitz mistake.

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

And of course, you admit you were wrong about the Marshall trade.  That trade was the ONLY reason the Jets even came close to sniffing the playoffs.  Without Marshall, Fitz would have been his usual crappy self.  So what are you talking about here? 

Also, justifying a trade--with the full benefit of hindsight--by saying "he's the only reason we almost made the playoffs!" is the most hilariously pathetic Jet fan thing ever.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'm right there with ya.  I think IK and then Bowles' eventual decision to keep Fitz in killed our hopes of the playoffs.  And it's looking like we're about to double-down on the Fitz mistake.

Don't know if I would say that Starting Geno would have made us a playoff team, but I do know that we would for sure know by now if he would be on the roster going forward .

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Beatty is coming off an injury also, and has a much lower ceiling.

Also, the 5th for 7th round swap is nothing. Picks between R5 - R7 are a crapshoot. We didn't "lose" a pick, we just moved backwards some. Not a big deal.

Mac loves his draft picks.  He'll add more picks in the drafts.  Watch.

Last year, he traded the fifth for Marshall and then traded down in the third to get a fifth back.  

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

This has gone completely off the rails. Getting an average quarterback to replace the last two terrible ones was the reason for most of the improvement last year. More importantly, we're all terrified to let an unknown make it or break it anywhere else, but that's how we want to handle the most important position on the team? Right, okay.

4 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This trade in a vacuum is fine. It's not all that important either way. My big issue is that no matter how many times we keep smashing into this wall, nobody ever seems to figure out what a long term competitive disadvantage it is to have a roster full of guys on second and third contracts.

But the Jets ended up having a full slate of draft picks last year AND Marshall.  Mac got the fifth back in the Mauldin trade.  What's to complain about?

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

With this logic at the center of your argument, why wouldn't "not much talent gap" apply to swapping the 5th for the 7th rounder? Especially if it also brings an accomplished player with it. I mean, how much difference is there usually between a 5th rounder and 7th rounder in terms of "making it in the league"? I'd guess not much. 

I get the principle you're trying to establish. I just don't agree that this trade is as gross a violation of that principle as you're making it out to be. 

It's not even that, Integrity.  It's a fifth ******* round pick.  The Jets can get that back by moving down a handful of spots in either the second or third round.  We did this last year.  

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Don't know if I would say that Starting Geno would have made us a playoff team, but I do know that we would for sure know by now if he would be on the roster going forward .

Well at least you're half there.  I'm pretty confident Geno would've had a darn good year and QB wouldn't be a worry at this point moving forward for years to come.

Now just have to hope Geno can somehow get on the field again for a few games this season to prove it.

Edit: that may read wrong.  In no way am I hoping for injury to Fitz or any other QB Bowles decides to start.  Once the season kicks-off I'm obviously pulling for whoever is starting to do well.

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Idzik's drafts honestly look fine if you replace Pryor with Bridgewater.

Fine?  Fine?!?  FINE?????    ahahahahahahaha    Not even close.

Well there is one thing for sure.  In this thread you have proven to everyone that you haven't a clue.

Milliner - bust

Richardson - good pick

Geno Smith - bust

Winters - meh/bust

Aboushi - bust

Campbell - bust

Bohannon - good pick for rd 7

2014:

Bridgewater (instead of Pryor) - So far?  Nothing special yet.  But I would have preferred Teddy to Calvin, even though I like Pryor now and don't mind the pick as much as I used to.

Amaro, McDougle - too soon to tell for either, but major bust potential for both so far

Saunders, Shaq Evans - busts

Dozier - decent pick

J. George, B. Dixon - busts

Enunwa - good pick

Enemkpali - bad pick, but did do the Jets a huge favor off the field

Tajh Boyd - moronic pick... go ahead and blame on Rex, but Idsuck was allegedly the boss

Reilly - good pick for rd 7

16 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I don't see what the Mauldin trade has to do with the Marshall trade.

It means a 5th rounder can be easily recouped.  We moved down in the 3rd, still got an impact player we wanted, and picked up the 5th close to the one we lost to get Marshall.  Macc could very well do the exact same thing this draft.

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The trade is still a draft pick for Marshall.

An overblown draft pick, given how easy it is to get a 5th rounder in a trade down.  That's the point.  We gave up a pick that doesn't have a whole lot of value to get Marshall, then did the same for Clady.  Yet there's a handful of fans who bemoaned both deals for some reason, comparing Macc to Tannenbaum in the process.

The reason the comparison doesn't work is that Tannenbaum traded away picks AND sucked at drafting AND made idiotic contract decisions.  If Macc is able to make his picks count AND avoid bad contracts, he's not a Tannenbaum.  Now, if Macc blows this draft and signs Clady to a monster long-term deal that Clady never lives up to, maybe we can start to make that comparison.  But based on this move or the Marshall trade?  No way.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

An overblown draft pick, given how easy it is to get a 5th rounder in a trade down.  That's the point.  We gave up a pick that doesn't have a whole lot of value to get Marshall, then did the same for Clady.  Yet there's a handful of fans who bemoaned both deals for some reason, comparing Macc to Tannenbaum in the process.

The reason the comparison doesn't work is that Tannenbaum traded away picks AND sucked at drafting AND made idiotic contract decisions.  If Macc is able to make his picks count AND avoid bad contracts, he's not a Tannenbaum.  Now, if Macc blows this draft and signs Clady to a monster long-term deal that Clady never lives up to, maybe we can start to make that comparison.  But based on this move or the Marshall trade?  No way.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Clady will make $6 million in 2016. Of that amount, $3 million is guaranteed. Another $1.5 million is available in incentives based on playing time and postseason honors. The Jets hold an option for 2017 at $10 million. The amount of the 2017 salary can increase to $13 million based on 2016 playing time. There’s also a bonus of $2.5 million due in February 2017, forcing the Jets to make a quick decision on whether they’ll keep Clady for the second year

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Idzik's drafts honestly look fine if you replace Pryor with Bridgewater.

I guess I will just hit the "If" button then.  Bridgewater should be great for us this year.  Oh, wait, could you show me how that works?  Could we use it to draft Brady in the 5th round in 2000, for example?

Idzik's 2014 draft was extremely weak, considering that he had 12 picks and it was one of the strongest WR classes ever and that was one of our biggest needs.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So what's the cap hit for 2016?  Someone here mentioned it may only be a 3mil cap hit this season because of the way things were structured.

$3M is accurate from what I'm reading.  Meaning the 2016 net cap savings of Brick retiring and acquiring Clady was about $7M.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

$3M is accurate from what I'm reading.  Meaning the 2016 net cap savings of Brick retiring and acquiring Clady was about $7M.

That'd be great.  Still waiting on OverTheCap to update before mailing Maccagnan a thank you card though.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I just proves what I knew for years , he has no clue. Think about it he's a Pats fan who spends all this time on a Jets board. Something not right about that. I would throw up 10 minutes after I was on the Pats board.

Think about it for a moment.  His thought process has to go something like this:

"I am going to spend a good portion of my life (and post more than just about anyone else) trying to make people who are really enthusiastic about something frustrated, angry and sad.  In fact, the frustration, anger and sadness that I occasionally bring to others with my snide comments makes me happier than it would to talk with other people who share in common with me an affection for the team that I supposedly like."  

It's a helluva way to approach life.  He can keep it.

16 hours ago, CaliforniaJet said:

So our LT retires yesterday, and the next day we already have his replacement? DAMMMMN Mac, just nasty. Good job sir, good job!

Here's hoping Clady can stay healthy. 

a replacement for less money who has high upside.  I still say we should draft a high level guy who can play either tackle position round 1 if available at #20

Just now, Nostradamus said:

a replacement for less money who has high upside.  I still say we should draft a high level guy who can play either tackle position round 1 if available at #20

Yeah... if somehow Stanley falls to 20 (which he won't... he'll be top 10).  I don't like Decker or Conklin whatsoever in round 1.  Not sure re: Spriggs, but 20 seems too early. I thionk we go in a different direction in round 1 with Tunsil and Stanley well off the board.  

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Think about it for a moment.  His thought process has to go something like this:

"I am going to spend a good portion of my life (and post more than just about anyone else) trying to make people who are really enthusiastic about something frustrated, angry and sad.  In fact, the frustration, anger and sadness that I occasionally bring to others with my snide comments makes me happier than it would to talk with other people who share in common with me an affection for the team that I supposedly like."  

Tex Official Theme Song!

5 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

Clady has played 18 games in last 3 years...it might be wise to grab a good OT.  I guess it depends how goos the staff feels about our current roster

I have to admit that I am pretty mystified by how good our back-up OL guys like Dozier and Harrison are.  They could be really bad, or turn out to be pretty good, I have no idea.  Although I am inclined to think that if they couldn't crack the line-up over Winters or Breno they couldn't be all that great.

12 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Tex wants to be set free from the torchure of being a Pats fan! Wants to be a Jets fan but is having a tough time walking away!

15 pages and I see some of you are plain nuts.  

I hope every year we trade what averages a sixth round pick for a pro bowl player.  Clady got injured in 2013, then played 16 games and went to pro bowl in 2014. Then blew a ACL in June of 2015 which he is fully healed from.   

He does not have any chronic injuries. He is a great player that we signed to a team friendly deal.  

This is a great deal and Mac keeps kicking a$$

Oh, and I love Clady was in the building two days and no one knew anything.  

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah... if somehow Stanley falls to 20 (which he won't... he'll be top 10).  I don't like Decker or Conklin whatsoever in round 1.  Not sure re: Spriggs, but 20 seems too early. I thionk we go in a different direction in round 1 with Tunsil and Stanley well off the board.  

I agree...i like Stanley or Spriggs best of those 4

Archived