Ryan Clady a Jet [MERGED]

JetsFanatic

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think it's a good deal and as one poster stated a few days ago you have to take educated chances,. I mean he could get burned on this if Clady is not able to play. Don't we lose 3 million. But considering this guy's talent level it's worth it. 

A 5th and a 7th is very reasonable and once upon a time Eric smith was making more than $3 million to get burned by every tight end in the NFL so

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Another way of looking at it is that they traded up 2 rounds, from their 7th to our 5th, and it cost them Ryan Clady. They needed the salary dump, and with Ferguson's retirement we had the cap room. No matter what happens with Clady, he's a cost-saver. If he's an all-pro again he'll still be a cost saver. Clady's strength is pass-blocking, like Ferguson, but he's better than Ferguson at both.

That's just if he's on the field. If he's not, then we get a much-needed look at someone with a possible future, instead of paying >$10M on the hopes that Ferguson will drink from the fountain of 2010 this year (the same prayer that has been made and unanswered for the past 4 seasons).

I think that they're just taking a stab in the dark because they can't draft 2 new tackles this year and expect them both to start. I expect there's a high probability Breno's getting cut next, but that would happen between draft weekend and final cutdowns. If Clady isn't on IR this summer, it'll be a 3-way competition for RT among Breno, Qvale, and a rookie (with the hope that Breno loses to one of the other two).

He's played like 12 games in the last 40 or something terrible like that.  The dude literally has started a rehab product company because he gets injured so much. They'll be lucky to get him out of training camp healthy.

But yes, he's cheaper and younger and IF healthy, maybe better but really who knows because he's barely played Football the last 4 years. 

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

A 5th and a 7th is very reasonable and once upon a time Eric smith was making more than $3 million to get burned by every tight end in the NFL so

It's reasonable for a player that plays but that's a problem for Clady.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's played like 12 games in the last 40 or something terrible like that.  The dude literally has started a rehab product company because he gets injured so much. They'll be lucky to get him out of training camp healthy.

But yes, he's cheaper and younger and IF healthy, maybe better but really who knows because he's barely played Football the last 4 years. 

We are all aware he missed all of 2015 and most of 2013. It's the only reason he was available. 

But it's not like he's had a career of nagging injuries where it's a rarity for him to start and finish the season. Unless he gets a freak season-ending injury, he starts and plays all 16 games. So it's not accurate to say he's barely played football in the past 4 years, when 2 of those last 4 years he played all 16 games (both as a pro bowler, and one of them as 1st team all pro).

If he doesn't, then we get a look at a younger player (which is itself an improvement over slavishly handing Ferguson 16 games again). The other thing is he's a serious placeholder (unlike penciling in Qvale), so we don't have to force-feed LT with our round 1 pick. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Clady is 3 years younger than Brick, after all.  :)

Immaterial the age difference.    The big question can Ryan Clady recover from lis-franc injury, as he hasn't been the same player since that injury  .

Can Ryan Clady  regain his pro bowl form  , or is he doom to be a fraction of the player he once was. ( did lisfranc injury rob him of his ability)   

The Jets really didn't have a choice when Ferguson retired, and Ryan Clady was a good gamble.   ( the best option out there with serious question) 

If Clady can ever approach that player he once was, this could be a flat out steal.

Maybe Clady never becomes the player he once was, but can he be an upgrade from Ferguson, and bridge to the left tackle they eventually draft.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We are all aware he missed all of 2015 and most of 2013. It's the only reason he was available. 

But it's not like he's had a career of nagging injuries where it's a rarity for him to start and finish the season. Unless he gets a freak season-ending injury, he starts and plays all 16 games. So it's not accurate to say he's barely played football in the past 4 years, when 2 of those last 4 years he played all 16 games (both as a pro bowler, and one of them as 1st team all pro).

If he doesn't, then we get a look at a younger player (which is itself an improvement over slavishly handing Ferguson 16 games again). The other thing is he's a serious placeholder (unlike penciling in Qvale), so we don't have to force-feed LT with our round 1 pick. 

2 out of the last 3 years though.  It's a little scary.  I hope you're right though.  I certainly wouldnt have given up a 5th round pick for him but hey, all good in the hood.  Its not like he really matters anyway since the Jets suck. 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

And who was the better option out there?  

Will Beaty wouldnt have costed the Jets picks.  Khalif Barnes too.  Nate Chandler too. 

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Immaterial the age difference.    The big question can Ryan Clady recover from lis-franc injury, as he hasn't been the same player since that injury  .

Can Ryan Clady  regain his pro bowl form  , or is he doom to be a fraction of the player he once was. ( did lisfranc injury rob him of his ability)   

The Jets really didn't have a choice when Ferguson retired, and Ryan Clady was a good gamble.   ( the best option out there with serious question) 

If Clady can ever approach that player he once was, this could be a flat out steal.

Maybe Clady never becomes the player he once was, but can he be an upgrade from Ferguson, and bridge to the left tackle they eventually draft.

FWIW, the Broncos reportedly felt that Clady was going to be absolutely fine coming into the year and that he had fully recovered from his two injuries.  We'll see if they were correct. You're right though, there isn't much downside here.  He's either the solution, or the stopgap for the solution and chances are he's better than Brick was.

On 4/9/2016 at 7:16 PM, sirlancemehlot said:

Yay mac!  Woohoo mac!  You guys are blind to the fact that Mac absolutely sucks. He created a hole then filled it with an expensive injury prone player and gave away another draft pick. Only in Jets land is that an awesome job. Folks need to take a step back and get off this guys dick. He's turning into a disaster.  

Lol. -31 has to be competing for a record

On 4/12/2016 at 0:47 PM, Rangers9 said:

This is a little like the Patriots Revis deal. Backloaded but that portion not guaranteed (the 2nd year).  It's almost impossible the Jets will pay him 13 mil in 2017. 

Probably because he's getting paid $15M. And since they have to pay him $6M even if they cut him, I'd say there is a very good chance they will pay it. 

22 hours ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, the Broncos reportedly felt that Clady was going to be absolutely fine coming into the year and that he had fully recovered from his two injuries.  We'll see if they were correct. You're right though, there isn't much downside here.  He's either the solution, or the stopgap for the solution and chances are he's better than Brick was.

The Bronco's didn't exactly replace Clady with a guy who doesn't have injury plagued  past himself.(Okung).   

Only thing I don't agree with is the Bronco's thought Ryan Clady was going to be fine.( hasn't been the same since getting lis-franc injury) .  I think that injury worried them, and why they rolled the dice on an injury player themselves.

It was a good gamble on the Jets part.( best option and hope the Broncos were wrong).

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

At least we know will Beatty is fast.

beattybad.gif

Barnes is a great Ball carrier after being beaten like a drum...

ffailders.0.gif

Nate Chandler....solid!

barw.0.gif

There is zero footage of Ryan Clady getting beat because it has NEVER HAPPENED!!!!  

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

There is zero footage of Ryan Clady getting beat because it has NEVER HAPPENED!!!!  

Oh I'm sure there is footage of him being beat or lying on the ground injured.  There is also more footage of sh*tty LT's getting their QB;s killed that 'well we can get by with that cause he's cheap.' fans are fine with.

As I've said many times, we as a fan base have been totally spoiled by Dbrick becasue even on his bad days and lagging play from, last year he was better than some truly terrible LTs in this league.  This could be a long painful journey to find the next LT, if Clady does well and stays healthy next year it will be a huge bonus for us.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Oh I'm sure there is footage of him being beat or lying on the ground injured.  There is also more footage of sh*tty LT's getting their QB;s killed that 'well we can get by with that cause he's cheap.' fans are fine with.

As I've said many times, we as a fan base have been totally spoiled by Dbrick becasue even on his bad days and lagging play from, last year he was better than some truly terrible LTs in this league.  This could be a long painful journey to find the next LT, if Clady does well and stays healthy next year it will be a huge bonus for us.

Trust me, I get it.  I loved Brick.  I truly hope Clady can stay healthy.  He's obviously very good when he's on the field. 

Archived