Ryan Clady a Jet [MERGED]

JetsFanatic

The Jets 1sr, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks in this draft are more important than some of these 'try and stay competitive' side moves we are seeing.  Mac as a gm, like almost all gms that are not insulated by having a hof QB will be judged on the drafted players he brings in, not if he traded 5th rounders for players.  I assume he will make moves before all is said and done to get us a few more picks via player trade or trade down like he did last year.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think TX is actually right, this was a decent move that filled a hole, if a GM didn't do this that would be a huge problem....let's not act like Mac just traded Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan .

One thing you're seeing is that big Jets moves like Clady are not being leaked. We are being hit with this stuff without a lot of pre notice. In Clady's case there might have been a few articles speculating that Clady was available and the Jets "should" be interested but no bonafide tips or leaks.

And the usual suspects Mehta and Cimini do not seem to be in the mix anymore.  So you'd have to think that whatever happens to our Qb situation there will not be very much advance notice. Mac has cleaned up the Jets front office! And the circus left last year and went to Buffalo. 

The most stunning trade I can remember the Jets making, basically ever, was the Santonio Holmes trade.

The franchise is in better hands now for sure, but I don't remember the leaking of trade info ever being a thing here.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets 1sr, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks in this draft are more important than some of these 'try and stay competitive' side moves we are seeing.  Mac as a gm, like almost all gms that are not insulated by having a hof QB will be judged on the drafted players he brings in, not if he traded 5th rounders for players.  I assume he will make moves before all is said and done to get us a few more picks via player trade or trade down like he did last year.

The thing is that Clady could end up being better than any of these draft picks at least for 2016 which is what we're going for, right. If he's healthy there is a very good chance he can still be elite at LT. If he is that's a huge plus and a great deal. These guys don't grow on trees. It's a risk and that's why we're getting him at a discount. 

5 minutes ago, The Troll said:

The most stunning trade I can remember the Jets making, basically ever, was the Santonio Holmes trade.

The franchise is in better hands now for sure, but I don't remember the leaking of trade info ever being a thing here.

I think that Tannenbaum played ball with the press and fed them information. Obviously Idzik didn't and they went after him. When Mac was originally named GM of the Jets Mehta started killing him saying he wasn't qualified. And this was before he actually started on the job. He eventually toned that down because maybe someone like his editor told him it was ridiculous and too stupid to get away with. Even for his rag of a newspaper. We all know that Rex was the major leak in the org some people say it was also Pettine. 

I agree that the move is lateral and saved some money. 

IMO, brick fell off last year and I had lost trust in him some-what so I'm happy we're not paying that salary. 

My problem with acquiring clady is the recent injury history. I'm REALLY uncomfortable having a guy with these recent, pretty serious, injuries starting one of the toughest positions in football. I hope Qvale is improving every day. 

I cursed brick a lot last year. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up missing him THIS year. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

When that Revis deal was done, I think Woody gave the command to get the deal done after Revis just committed the unthinkable.... won a SB with the enemy.

Now that Mac has gained credibility and good faith with Woody.... you'll NEVER see Mac do a deal like that again for a player at the end of his career!

Not going to argue with that logic.

16 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Yay mac!  Woohoo mac!  You guys are blind to the fact that Mac absolutely sucks. He created a hole then filled it with an expensive injury prone player and gave away another draft pick. Only in Jets land is that an awesome job. Folks need to take a step back and get off this guys dick. He's turning into a disaster.  

LOL!  a 5th....Name some of the recent 5th rounders that walked in and contributed from day 1....Never mind the fact that Mcc gets a 7th back...

So mcc basically gave away 96 places ((at worst 253th (Den has 3 7th picls) - 157th)) in the draft for a veteran, above avg starting LT, if healthy...

expensive? $3m guaranteed..yeah what a dumb trade

This is a brilliant move by Mac and anyone that could possibly think otherwise has got to be smoking crack. Any time you can get a 4 time pro bowler for a 5th round pick and also get a 7th in return, AND the guy is willing to rework his deal to make the trade happen is a GREAT deal.

But IMO this does not change things in regards to team needs. Clady isn't getting any younger and he's injury prone. The Jets should be acutely aware that they need to start using the draft to overhaul the OL. It's just been too long since they addressed it.

I'm thinking the Jets could still easily select an OL in the draft. If they trade Mo (and I think they will) to like the Bears and a top notch OL like Ronnie Stanley is there? I say Mac selects him and is happy to do so.

17 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I think TX is actually right, this was a decent move that filled a hole, if a GM didn't do this that would be a huge problem....let's not act like Mac just traded Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan .

True, but he did not panic and trade #20 for Joe Thomas either so we should give Mac credit for making a solid move 

Of course anyone you take in the draft is a young player and a prospect. And someone you hope will be a part of the future. But to me we are playing to win it all in 2016 after a good season. I mean we have the building blocks. Losing a good player in Snacks hurts and on that level makes us weaker at that position than last year. Clady is better than Brick and at a key position. We don't know if Wilk will be on the team. But if he isn't that's a big minus because he is coming off of a good year (but on the other hand an injury). We'll see about Qb but to me the only thing that makes sense for the present is to re-sign Fitz. That is if we are going to go for it all in 2016. I was in Vegas in Feb and I put down a few bucks on us to win it! (at 35-1) Love to collect that money. (I also bet on the Browns at 250-1 just for fun).

I think that Tannenbaum played ball with the press and fed them information. Obviously Idzik didn't and they went after him. When Mac was originally named GM of the Jets Mehta started killing him saying he wasn't qualified. And this was before he actually started on the job. He eventually toned that down because maybe someone like his editor told him it was ridiculous and too stupid to get away with. Even for his rag of a newspaper. We all know that Rex was the major leak in the org some people say it was also Pettine. 

Not denying plenty of things the press shouldn't have gotten ahold of weren't made easily accessible by a regime that cared more about newspaper headlines than anything else. Just that I don't remember things about trades getting leaked beforehand other than the Tebow deal, which I believe hit some sort of snag that needed to ironed out.

46 minutes ago, KRL said:

People are complaining about the trade because there are no "stats" or
"YouTube videos" associated with OLinemen.  Therefore people are in an
uproar because he's been injured recently.  Yes that's a concern BUT
people are totally overlooking the potentially MASSIVE upgrade at the
position.  People didn't complain as much when we got Marshall because
they were able to look at his "stats" and see what his production was 

Well, for those people, they should know that Clady was arguably a top 3 LT before the injuries the last couple of years. In fact, in Clady's last healthy season, he still made the pro bowl. If Clady is healthy and hasn't lost a step, he is a superior player to Brick in the latter's prime. 

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

LOL!  a 5th....Name some of the recent 5th rounders that walked in a contributed from day 1....Never mind the fact that Mcc gets a 7th back...

So mcc basically gave away 96 places ((at worst 253th (Den has 3 7th picls) - 157th)) in the draft for a veteran, above avg starting LT, if healthy...

expensive? $3m guaranteed..yeah what a dumb trade

This now allows the Jets to wait for Rd 2 or 3 for Decker, Coleman or Spriggs. Hopefully Harrison or Qvale can take the RT position away from Breno

and let these rookies develop.

This is a brilliant move by Mac and anyone that could possibly think otherwise has got to be smoking crack. Any time you can get a 4 time pro bowler for a 5th round pick and also get a 7th in return, AND the guy is willing to rework his deal to make the trade happen is a GREAT deal.

But IMO this does not change things in regards to team needs. Clady isn't getting any younger and he's injury prone. The Jets should be acutely aware that they need to start using the draft to overhaul the OL. It's just been too long since they addressed it.

I'm thinking the Jets could still easily select an OL in the draft. If they trade Mo (and I think they will) to like the Bears and a top notch OL like Ronnie Stanley is there? I say Mac selects him and is happy to do so.

He has played 18 out of a possible 48 games the last 3 years with two very serious injuries.

His All-Pro days are well behind him.

This move is nothing more than a stop-gap effort for 2016.

I love how moves like this bring out the agenda driven posts from forum members. Really, it's like that in any sports forum. 

Maybe (we don't know for sure) Mac forced Brick to retire by "offering a restructure". But it's hard to think he didn't consider the option Brick might retire, even though maybe he thought that was unlikely. Really, in any sane NFL universe, isn't the GM asking a guy like Brick to restructure, as he was overpaid by about 5-8 million a year? I mean, it sucks NFL franchises don't honor contracts, but hey, it's the NFL. 

Brick is a smart guy and know the NFL reality and the situation the Jets are up against with Fitz/Wilk etc. And on the one hand some posters want to say "what a great Jet he is/was, what a class act, but the second he was asked to restructure, he took his ball and went home, leaving the team with a gaping hole at LT. Now, it's his right, and after 10+ seasons playing nearly every play, maybe it was time. On the other hand, if he was truly willing to stay IF he got paid the full 14 million, doesn't that seem a bit mercenary, as in it for the money only? Then on the flip side again, it's his hard work, his body and it's not the the Jets were contending. We can go round and round with taking sides. 

We can say Mac forced his hand, but again, isn't any GM looking for the same restructure? Meaning, it's hard to say Mac blew it by asking in the first place. And he immediately had a contingency plan, which he shouldn't be a hero for, but he passes for one due to previous regimes incompetence. 

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

he's missed tons of game, the opposite of brick.

who steps in when he's injured again?

??

Well Brick will be missing at least 16 2016 games...And not stepping in since he retired....It will be next man up....And if he is healthy? What will be your concern then? 

8 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Not denying plenty of things the press shouldn't have gotten ahold of weren't made easily accessible by a regime that cared more about newspaper headlines than anything else. Just that I don't remember things about trades getting leaked beforehand other than the Tebow deal, which I believe hit some sort of snag that needed to ironed out.

You make a good point. I can't remember the exact deals that were leaked but in general I think we had more advance warning and no big surprises like we are seeing under Mac. And these leaks were usually from the same sources. 

I think it's that the $6M is for this year with bonus on top of that. The amount above $6M is what would hit in 2017.

The $3M figure seems to just be in there to prevent us from cutting him for nothing by August (in case we draft a left tackle in 2 weeks, for example), leaving him out in the cold as a FA when everyone else has addressed his position.

My assumption is that the other 3m that's nonguaranteed is in the form of per game incentives.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He has played 18 out of a possible 48 games the last 3 years with two very serious injuries.

True he hasn't made All Pro since 2012 however on the other hand Brady hasn't made All Pro since 2010..:)

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

WHHHAAAAT?! He's a f*cking mauler and top notch LT when healthy. He's also played 6 full seasons in the NFL and made it to 4 pro bowls. He's been injured for about all of the 2013 and 2015 seasons but he was top notch in 2014 and made the pro bowl. Mac got him to drop his contract demands and accept a very reasonable salary that is team friendly. He spent a mere 5th round draft choice to get him. The Jets also have the option of keeping him if they decide to do so and his health improves.

TX, I know you're an idiot that's trying to stir up sh*t, but this has got to be one of your very lamest attempts at it. This post just makes you look like a dumbass.

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Trading draft picks for expensive, injury-prone veterans, is good

Like Brandon Marshall?  In general, you are correct, but specifically this time (as with Marshall) it could be a rare bargain basement super value.  Best alternative and Mac jumped on it as any competent GM would.

I can't possibly see any justification for your complaint.  What else did you want them to do that would have been better?  You think your chances of getting impact player with the a late 5th round pick are that much better than a late 7th?  Enough so not to replace Brick with Clady?  Very strange.

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Great MOVE!!!!

Another STELLAR transaction by this man: 

jets22-1-web.jpg

Smile Mikey, boy SMILE! I LOVE how this GM hedges this roster PERFECTLY. WR Marshall for a 5th in 2015, now we get a PROVEN starter 2xAllPro LT Clady & a 7th Rndr (nice throw in if Clady is washed up) for a 2016 5th rounder with Clady on a CHEAPER re-structured contract than Brick?!?!!?

Savvy man Mike MacCagnan!!!!

Ryan Clady - T -  Jets

Jets acquired LT Ryan Clady and a seventh-round pick from the Broncos for a fifth-round pick.

Clady had been on the trade block since the Broncos signed Russell Okung at the start of free agency. He'll take over at left tackle for the Jets after D'Brickashaw Ferguson's retirement. Clady agreed to restructure his $9.5 million salary as part of the deal. He hasn't played a game since 2014 due to ACL surgery, but gives the Jets a proven starter if he can stay healthy. The move also clears Denver's cap space for a potential Colin Kaepernick trade.

Apr 9 - 7:04 PM

I get a kick out of the fact that this guy is almost never pictured without a cup of coffee in his hand.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In general, you are correct, but specifically this time

This is you guys in a nutshell. You all say you want to do things the right way. Build through the draft. Add value through player development. Stay getting younger, stay getting cheaper. Then when it comes time to follow through you lose your minds and start renting airplanes. In general is just an aggregation of a whole bunch of specifically this times.

14 hours ago, heymangold said:

Wtf, I didn't get my "reps" from JI!!!

:P

Me neither.  Also, nobody told me why I should care.  So is this something worth stomping feet over?  Where can I use my reps to get retail discounts or airline perks anyway?

WHHHAAAAT?! He's a f*cking mauler and top notch LT when healthy. He's also played 6 full seasons in the NFL and made it to 4 pro bowls. He's been injured for about all of the 2013 and 2015 seasons but he was top notch in 2014 and made the pro bowl. Mac got him to drop his contract demands and accept a very reasonable salary that is team friendly. He spent a mere 5th round draft choice to get him. The Jets also have the option of keeping him if they decide to do so and his health improves.

TX, I know you're an idiot that's trying to stir up sh*t, but this has got to be one of your very lamest attempts at it. This post just makes you look like a dumbass.

He's a one year stop gap measure, Brick's long term replacement will be found in the draft.

If you think the Jets are getting some type of top notch,"mauler" All-Pro LT, then you are delusional.

I think all that deer meat is affecting your thought process.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is you guys in a nutshell. You all say you want to do things the right way. Build through the draft. Add value through player development. Stay getting younger, stay getting cheaper. Then when it comes time to follow through you lose your minds and start renting airplanes. In general is just an aggregation of a whole bunch of specifically this times.

Look you have to use all tools available to build a team. It's not just through the draft esp when you can get a Pro Bowl LT which is one of the key positions on any NFL roster. We have younger players who are developing and will draft about six new guys this year,. I mean even the Patriots are making trades and bringing in vets they think could fit in and contribute to their roster. It's not just the draft. 

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

This now allows the Jets to wait for Rd 2 or 3 for Decker, Coleman or Spriggs. Hopefully Harrison or Qvale can take the RT position away from Breno

and let these rookies develop.

Bingo! and competition...do your job, get better or sit / hit the streets...

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Like Brandon Marshall?  In general, you are correct, but specifically this time (as with Marshall) it could be a rare bargain basement super value.  Best alternative and Mac jumped on it as any competent GM would.

I can't possibly see any justification for your complaint.  What else did you want them to do that would have been better?  You think your chances of getting impact player with the a late 5th round pick are that much better than a late 7th?  Enough so not to replace Brick with Clady?  Very strange.

No he's not, so don't encourage him . Our GM has told us the importance of hitting on the picks in the 1st 3 rounds.  That where you build the foundation of your team. All the other rounds are used as supporting elements to that solid foundation . That means you use all draft picks from the 4th round onward to beauty that foundation . We had no LT we could consider as a potential starter and we used a 5th rounder to acquire a player who could potentially fill that position for 1 yr and possibly more if we so choose . And we saved 4 mil in cap space along with this signing .

Where is the problem  ? 

Archived