Ryan Clady a Jet [MERGED]

JetsFanatic

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I mean even the Patriots are making trades and bringing in vets they think could fit in and contribute to their roster. It's not just the draft. 

Yeah, you guys keep bringing that one up. Moving Chandler Jones before he gets paid for a draft pick and a player with an extra year left on his own rookie deal is the opposite of this.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He has played 18 out of a possible 48 games the last 3 years with two very serious injuries.

His All-Pro days are well behind him.

This move is nothing more than a stop-gap effort for 2016.

Hence the trade of a 5th, getting back a 7th & a 1 yr $3m guaranteed contract (w/a club 2017 option)...Although he was pro bowler in 2014 (Manning no doubt helped)..if healthy, he is an above avg starting LT.

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I can't possibly see any justification for your complaint.  What else did you want them to do that would have been better?  You think your chances of getting impact player with the a late 5th round pick are that much better than a late 7th?  Enough so not to replace Brick with Clady?  Very strange.

As the divine Miss L. said, you can't pick and choose when to look at things in a vacuum. The team is old and expensive and nowhere near competing for anything of consequence. The absolute last thing we should be doing is trading picks to take on pricey, injury-prone veterans. 

I didn't like the Marshall trade either, for what it's worth.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah, you guys keep bringing that one up. Moving Chandler Jones before he gets paid for a draft pick and a player with an extra year left on his own rookie deal is the opposite of this.

You do not build a championship team by throwing draft picks to the wolves but by giving them examples of top notch players at their positions who they need to outwork in order to get on the field .  

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

he's missed tons of game, the opposite of brick.

who steps in when he's injured again?

geez it amazes me just how many SOJF, Nattering Nabobs of Negativism, exist on this website.  

6 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah, and they've signed a lot of veterans, too. And Chandler Jones was due only 7.7 for 2016. I would have chosen to pay him over the return they got. But they obviously know more than I do that's for sure. 

26 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Chandler Jones for a late 2nd.... Mac will get better for Mo and actually got an OL who will start this yr. for the value of a 6th rd. pick

I doubt Massie will start for the whole season.... under achiever.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah most casual fans like the splash picks in the draft. The more knowledgeable understand the game a little deeper.

Lol, that might actually mean something if I thought you knew what you're talking about. But we both know that's not the case. When it comes to the draft - you're as clueless as an 8 year old in a brothel. 

The is no "draft strategy" that wins you championships other than drafting a QB. So spare us all your "push the chips in on the OL" diatribe cause it's hot dogsh*t. The last time we pushed all in on oline was 2006 and where has that got us? Nowhere.... why? No QB.

That's the only constant. Eli, Ben, Aaron, Peyton, Russel, Joe, etc etc Most find that guy in the 1st round. Sometimes you get lucky later. Sometimes.... Even NE never went all in oline and they draft an average of 35 players each year. 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

As the divine Miss L. said, you can't pick and choose when to look at things in a vacuum. The team is old and expensive and nowhere near competing for anything of consequence. The absolute last thing we should be doing is trading picks to take on pricey, injury-prone veterans. 

I didn't like the Marshall trade either, for what it's worth.

1 pick.....the 157th pick...If Mcc really wants to get a 5th or 6th he can easily trade down in the 3rd like he did last year......

Relax, the sky isn't falling over this one trade.

Let's see the 5ths since '99

Harrison - TBD

George - last I knew Jax

Aboushi - last I knew hou

Kerley - Det

Connor - ?

Ainge - media?

Jason Pociask - ?

Andre Maddox

Erik Coleman

Derek Pagel

Matt Walters

Coles

Jermaine Jones

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

1 pick.....the 157th pick...If Mcc really wants to get a 5th or 6th he can easily trade down in the 3rd like he did last year......

Relax, the sky isn't falling over this one trade.

Let's see the 5ths since '99

Harrison - TBD

George - last I knew Jax

Aboushi - last I knew hou

Kerley - Det

Connor - ?

Ainge - media?

Jason Pociask - ?

Andre Maddox

Erik Coleman

Derek Pagel

Matt Walters

Coles

Jermaine Jones

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team 

Sweet merciful crap.

wait, I decided to actually read some of this thread.... I'm sorry, i presumed it was a tide of praise for a smart-as-fck move to bring in a LT who can actually improve on our previous year's play.

Some of you folks are trying to trash this move? 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lol, that might actually mean something if I thought you knew what you're talking about. But we both know that's not the case. When it comes to the draft - you're as clueless as an 8 year old in a brothel. 

The is no "draft strategy" that wins you championships other than drafting a QB. So spare us all your "push the chips in on the OL" diatribe cause it's hot dogsh*t. The last time we pushed all in on oline was 2006 and where has that got us? Nowhere.... why? No QB.

That's the only constant. Eli, Ben, Aaron, Peyton, Russel, Joe, etc etc Most find that guy in the 1st round. Sometimes you get lucky later. Sometimes.... Even NE never went all in oline and they draft an average of 35 players each year. 

Exactly..Which is why I think mcc will be all in on getting one of the top QBs in this years draft..jmo

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Look I think 2006 was major for the Jets just because of the two O-linemen we drafted. Even though we didn't make a Super Bowl (yet) with either of them I though it was a great strategy and it worked because both players were good (Brick) to elite (Mangold). We've seen over the years just how valuable Mangold has been to this franchise. When he doesn't play we're in big trouble. And the two of them helped make us very competitive. That same year we drafted Kellen Clemens and he's still around but as a career backup. Chad was our starting Qb that season and I think a good enough player to take us to a SB but it just didn't happen with him. Then we drafted Mark and treated him like he was our franchise Qb except he wasn't. But to me those two players were great draft picks and to get them both the same year was a great drafting strategy. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I think 2006 was major for the Jets just because of the two O-linemen we drafted. Even though we didn't make a Super Bowl (yet) with either of them I though it was a great strategy and it worked because both players were good (Brick) to elite (Mangold). We've seen over the years just how valuable Mangold has been to this franchise. When he doesn't play we're in big trouble. And the two of them helped make us very competitive. That same year we drafted Kellen Clemens and he's still around but as a career backup. Chad was our starting Qb that season and I think a good enough player to take us to a SB but it just didn't happen with him. Then we drafted Mark and treated him like he was our franchise Qb except he wasn't. But to me those two players were great draft picks and to get them both the same year was a great drafting strategy. 

All i got out this is - NO QB. 

Every position is important. We could talk about DEN - and how their front 7 just won a lombardi... despite Manning playing behind the most patchwork OL to ever win a SB.

QB... until that is addressed, everything is secondary. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Pretty much bang on like I predicted... LT was never going to be addressed in rnd 1.

You knee-jerk chicken littles need to have some faith in the macc

After Tunsil and Stanley, the others are not worth a 1st rounder, particularly Decker and Conklin, both possibly to wind up as RTs and in Conklin's case, perhaps OG.  Now, there is no need to reach for LT in round 1 and again, focus on BPA.  Hoping for Leonard Floyd there. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

wait, I decided to actually read some of this thread.... I'm sorry, i presumed it was a tide of praise for a smart-as-fck move to bring in a LT who can actually improve on our previous year's play.

Some of you folks are trying to trash this move? 

+1 

Absolutely brilliant move to acquire a 4 time Pro Bowl/All Pro in Clady who still is 29 years old. With his option the Jets will likely get a very good comp pick if he leads and they pursue it. This move really should allow the Jets to draft a tackle this year and develop him for next year either on the Bench or at RT. 

For those that have not read my thoughts on the FO this absolutely fits their thought process on many of the moves since they've been here. Theres no reason you can't rebuild while competing yearly. The Jets know their age. They know their QB situation. But theres no reason to be bottom dwellars for the next 2-3 years just for a 50% of hitting on some early first round picks. Great move. 

Chandler Jones for a late 2nd.... Mac will get better for Mo and actually got an OL who will start this yr. for the value of a 6th rd. pick

I doubt Massie will start for the whole season.... under achiever.

What team out there will give up a 2nd round draft pick AND take on Mo's ridiculous salary?

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Above is the snippet I read when I woke up this morning. I'd just like to say... I love MacCagnan.

5th rounder is meh, as long as we got a pick back in return - we're still making the same amount of picks this year. Anytyhing between rounds 5 and 7 is about the same value, based on the history of how often teams "hit" on the players they take in those rounds. 

The contract is the beautiful part. It's the same concept as the Cromartie contract, pay him this year, free-release next year if/when we have no use for him. So $3m for this season. It means if we end up with a LT in the 1st round of the draft, we can ease the rookie in slowly (or start the rookie at RT), and next year if the rookie is ready for LT, we have ZERO commitment to Clady in 2017. If we want to keep Clady, then you immediately re-negotiate the $12m into a bonus and extension more fitting to whatever level of play he provides this year.

If Clady returns to form, then Mac actually parlayed Brick's retirement into an upgrade at the position.

I haven't read any of this thread, and imagine some people are probably complaining, but it's beyond the scope of my imagination what'd you could possibly not like about this deal... if the gripe is "losing a valuable 5th rounder", you just need to remember we got a 7th back, and we'll be adding more picks with the Wilkerson trade and potentially with other movement in the draft. No, it's not a big deal. We paid almost no price to acquire this guy... and I would absolutely anticipate that in a draft with this much OT talent in it (I've read many media outlets saying that this is a deep draft at tackle) we're picking one too.

Brace yourself for the usual Nattering Nabobs of Negativism.  There out in full force in this thread.  This deal is like an electric shock that prompts SOJF negativity-based fans to unwrap their predictable, patented sarcastic, cynical and, ultimately, useless commentary.

There you go.

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All i got out this is - NO QB. 

Every position is important. We could talk about DEN - and how their front 7 just won a lombardi... despite Manning playing behind the most patchwork OL to ever win a SB.

QB... until that is addressed, everything is secondary. 

They've addressed it. And put a lot of resources and time into Sanchez. They also traded up to select Clemens in 2006 and gave him about 11 starts but he was not a starting caliber Qb. I think that Chad was above average and with a good supporting cast with breaks the Jets could have made it to a Super Bowl. We almost did two times with Mark. I don't think we would have won those 4 playoff games without Brick and Mangold. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

You are missing my point.

Jets LT decides to retire leaving a gaping hole on the most important position on the Oline.

MAC addresses the situation and fills the position with the best option available. Any of the other 31 GM's would have done the same thing.

This move was out of necessity, and not some shrewd move by a savvy GM.

I beg differ, I think you are missing the point. You said any other of the 31 GM's would have done the same thing and the move is that of necessity but your original post said it wasn't a good move and we shouldn't of signed him and should have addressed in the draft but then you say any other GM would do the same thing , what am I missing? Why would we go into the draft with no LT? Do you understand the draf process. We have a starting LT day one p, we draft at 20. Chances are a. starting left tackle is is not going to be there at 20. We have no idea what Mac's plan for the draft is, will he move up for quarterback or is he going to move up for another position, if we have a gaping hole at LT other teams are not going to have a hard time figuring out what our number one priority is and we can be easily blocked if we do want to move up. What would happen if we went to the draft with no LT and the way the board fell  and were unable to move up we could be stuck with some scrub whose should only be starting at right tackle and would have to force him to be playing LT.  Would that be a good plan GM Tex. Not in my eyes. 

If Mac was such a genius as many have claimed in this thread, then he would have found a stud LT for the next 10-12 years in the upcoming draft.

All he did was apply another band aid approach by giving up a draft pick and acquiring an aging, injury prone LT.

Dumbest post you have ever made.  You are endorsing them to reach in the draft for a position of need.  Simply put, after Tunsil and Stanley, there are 3 OTs projected as 1st rounders/potential 1st rounders: Decker, Conklin, Spriggs.  Decker and Conklin are more likely RTs, and Conklin probably a guard ultimately.  Either would be an extreme reach.  By signing Clady to a 1-2 year deal, one in which the Jets can back out pretty much without cap penalty in year 1, they no longer have to reach in round 1.  Your plan is a recipe for failure as we have seen that when you draft early for need, it almost always reduces the value for the team and focks up the entire draft for the team.  

Really, some people here actually think you are football smart.  There are times when I tended to agree but your post here displays the opposite.  Has me scratching my head. Are you really this ignorant or was that post just one of your "trolling" posts designed to irritate others?

2 hours ago, section314 said:

You've seen the draft results already? Don't keep us in suspense...who did we get?

LOL.  TX thinks it's better to reach in round 1 to fill a need position.  He has lost a huge amount of football credibility with that one.  

You are missing my point.

Jets LT decides to retire leaving a gaping hole on the most important position on the Oline.

MAC addresses the situation and fills the position with the best option available. Any of the other 31 GM's would have done the same thing.

This move was out of necessity, and not some shrewd move by a savvy GM.

yeah, and the "better" alternative you proposed in your post would be for Mac to 'reach' early in the draft.  Wow.  Are you off your meds?  Utterly preposterous thought from someone who claims to know what he is talking about.  Sorry, TX, but you are not going to slither your way out of one of the most ridiculous posts you have ever made.  Just plain dumb.

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

this is a lateral move at best ... a disaster at worst

correction:  

at best, it is a terrific upgrade at the position.  (Healthy Clady >>>>> Brick.. and there can be no argument there)

at worst (Clady gets re-injured before he can contribute), then the Jets are out $3 million and in the same exact position as when Brick walked out the door.  If you want to call that a "disaster" then fine.  I don't see any of it this way.  

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Understood, but it's a lot easier/convenient for fans to say maximum on-paper efficiency suggests we tank every season until there's a worthy QB on the team. Not so easy to do to when you're the GM. As far as this 5th rounder:

1. A 5th rounder is easy to recover with an insignificant trade-back.

2. If we keep Clady as a 2 year starter it's worth that level trade down, but even without doing that the net gain may still be nothing. If we don't exercise his option because the money is too high, he becomes a UFA, and we'd be in line for probably a 5th round compensatory pick after someone else signs him.

I just think we've been needing an entire culture change for so long. Idzik was kind of getting there but the guy was such a disaster with the draft that it canceled it all out. And now here we are, back to trading cheap picks for highly paid vets on short deals. All because they never have anyone developing at any of these positions ready to step in and fill the void. This isn't how good teams build sustainability and the Jets have done this through several administrations now. It's boring and depressing. Either be good or be bad, instead the Jets are just completely content with fielding a very mediocre football franchise on average. This is simply more of the same futility. It's not just a matter of the 5th rounder, it's also the time, space, and resources. These types of moves simply are not worth it with the team we have right now.

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Brace yourself for the usual Nattering Nabobs of Negativism.  There out in full force in this thread.  This deal is like an electric shock that prompts SOJF negativity-based fans to unwrap their predictable, patented sarcastic, cynical and, ultimately, useless commentary.

There you go.

Jets fans are the absolute worst fans in all of sports, worse than Philly

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I just think we've been needing an entire culture change for so long. Idzik was kind of getting there but the guy was such a disaster with the draft that it canceled it all out. And now here we are, back to trading cheap picks for highly paid vets on short deals. All because they never have anyone developing at any of these positions ready to step in and fill the void. This isn't how good teams build sustainability and the Jets have done this through several administrations now. It's boring and depressing. Either be good or be bad, instead the Jets are just completely content with fielding a very mediocre football franchise on average. This is simply more of the same futility. It's not just a matter of the 5th rounder, it's also the time, space, and resources. These types of moves simply are not worth it with the team we have right now.

The problem is the fan base is not a fan base that tolerates rebuilds, this fan base is attrocious

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

He has played 18 out of a possible 48 games the last 3 years with two very serious injuries.

His All-Pro days are well behind him.

This move is nothing more than a stop-gap effort for 2016.

But he was just a all pro/ pro bowler the season before last and started all 16 games . So he recovered fine from the first major injury .. And I doubt the current ACL from last year august is gonna hold him back .but we shall see.

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Dumbest post you have ever made.  You are endorsing them to reach in the draft for a position of need.  Simply put, after Tunsil and Stanley, there are 3 OTs projected as 1st rounders/potential 1st rounders: Decker, Conklin, Spriggs.  Decker and Conklin are more likely RTs, and Conklin probably a guard ultimately.  Either would be an extreme reach.  By signing Clady to a 1-2 year deal, one in which the Jets can back out pretty much without cap penalty in year 1, they no longer have to reach in round 1.  Your plan is a recipe for failure as we have seen that when you draft early for need, it almost always reduces the value for the team and focks up the entire draft for the team.  

Really, some people here actually think you are football smart.  There are times when I tended to agree but your post here displays the opposite.  Has me scratching my head. Are you really this ignorant or was that post just one of your "trolling" posts designed to irritate others?

I just proves what I knew for years , he has no clue. Think about it he's a Pats fan who spends all this time on a Jets board. Something not right about that. I would throw up 10 minutes after I was on the Pats board.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah, and the "better" alternative you proposed in your post would be for Mac to 'reach' early in the draft.  Wow.  Are you off your meds?  Utterly preposterous thought from someone who claims to know what he is talking about.  Sorry, TX, but you are not going to slither your way out of one of the most ridiculous posts you have ever made.  Just plain dumb.

Agreed ... TX dropped the ball with the ribbing on this one ... Reload & come back to fight another day

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This trade in a vacuum is fine. It's not all that important either way. My big issue is that no matter how many times we keep smashing into this wall, nobody ever seems to figure out what a long term competitive disadvantage it is to have a roster full of guys on second and third contracts.

I think the majority of the fan base, or at least the ones who post here, understand the concept in bold. 

That said, I think it's fairly reasonable to want/expect a certain amount of high quality veteran players on the team, and for the team to NEVER put themselves in a position where they MUST use an early draft pick on a "need". The Clady deal allows us to replace a good vet, with an even better vet. It also opens back up the possibility of BPA in the first round, whereas 24 hours ago many assumed we'd have to take an OT at pick #20. 

Just now, Dcat said:

correction:  

at best, it is a terrific upgrade at the position.  (Healthy Clady >>>>> Brick.. and there can be no argument there)

at worst (Clady gets re-injured before he can contribute), then the Jets are out $3 million and in the same exact position as when Brick walked out the door.  If you want to call that a "disaster" then fine.  I don't see any of it this way.  

I'm happy with this trade.  I believe Mac and Elway probably had this on the table for a few weeks.  That said if this doesn't pan out we tossed a 5th rnd pick out the window.  While an organization can afford to take risks like this (in fact they must take risks in order to see a nice return), too many of these mounted on top of one another and in 3 years we'll be complaining about the cupboard being empty.

Additional thoughts, I think Mac anticipates getting some picks for Mo.  While he has done a decent job of patching up our present team, I'm not too comfortable with our future quite yet.  This is big draft in that respect.  The 2016 draft has to yield at least 2-3 starters, not necessarily day one but in the Mauldin mode.  Then Williams, Mauldin and Devin Smith have to show continued improvement.  That's when it will be safe to buy into Mac's plan.  

Oh yeah and find a damn quarterback.

Archived