Why are/were the Jets in cap hell this year?

pfilippone

On 4/9/2016 at 7:37 PM, pfilippone said:

Can someone explain how the Jets went from tons of cap-room last year to being in cap hell this year?

- Was the GM's plan last year to win it all in his 1st year with Geno/Fitz and to hell with next year?
- Did league rules require we spend every penny? 

Many of us praise Maccagnan for what he's done so far. But why is the poor cap room situation not on him?
Granted, with Brick retiring, this topic may already be moot. But please humor me.

It is on Mac somewhat. Mostly the Jets are in cap hell because of the franchise tag on Mo Wilkerson. 15.7 million is a hell of a bite to take out of the cap. Put that back and the Jets could sign at least Fitz and a couple of second tier FA's for depth. I have been pounding the table and will continue to do so for Mac to remove the franchise tag....NOW!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is on Mac somewhat. Mostly the Jets are in cap hell because of the franchise tag on Mo Wilkerson. 15.7 million is a hell of a bite to take out of the cap. Put that back and the Jets could sign at least Fitz and a couple of second tier FA's for depth. I have been pounding the table and will continue to do so for Mac to remove the franchise tag....NOW!!!

being an NFL Gm is sort like being a poker player.  The Jets general manager played his hand( Franchised tag Wilkerson- and it seems wants to trade).

This isn't the time to fold (remove the franchise tag) because all it takes one idiot owner to give the Jets what they want in a trade.    There isn't anything out there in Fa that is going to make a major difference to the Jets.  ( at this point) 

Your Gm will have enough money to draft, and can wait that long to see if he can find the right deal for them.     After the draft if can't get someone to trade, than the Jets have two choices - pay him under the franchise tag for a year, or remove the franchise tag.

17 hours ago, j4jets said:

I know these rules. I'm just saying that excuse doesn't carry weight. When you use up 99% of your allotted cap over a 4 year period, in theory, you've spent 99% of cash. I haven't looked at the actual figures but Jets paid out heavy signing bonuses n guarantees last year. In 2014, we had zero cap left over. Cash spending requirements wasn't even a concern then. And it wasn't in 2015 either. Why? Simple math. 89% of 4 years cap is $461 mil (120+123+133+143 = 519mil x 89% = 461 mil). Teams had a leverage of not needing to spend upto 58mil over that time frame. I haven't tracked our cash spending but I'm 100% sure we could've saved $10-15 mil last year and carried it forward without worrying about cash spending this year either. Over the long run, cash spending equals salary cap usage. 

How often does this have to be debunked that there was some alleged squeeze on us to spend in the manner we did last year?

There was no danger of the Jets surrendering cap space, in the form of a check to the NFLPA, even if we'd had a normal offseason. Hell, we could have spent the same exact cash (which is all the 89% rule looks at), and still preserved a lot more space this year, even with Mo and Ferguson situations as constants. 

It is 100% complete bull.

18 hours ago, j4jets said:

It's funny when how you think we can squeeze a few mils by restructuring a few contracts, letting several starters walk away, no QB to speak of and want one of our best defender to be kicked off the team (trade), yet you claim we're not in cap hell. You just described what a team does when it's in cap hell. Why does a team restructure a deal? Why do teams not sign it's own FAs when they have talent and plenty of value to them? List goes on. We have no cap space to sign a QB and to sign our own draft picks as it stands. Without making a cap relief move, we'd have to trade away our entire draft for next year's picks (which obviously isn't happening). When you are sniffing around for cap relief a year after having $50+ mil in space, you ****ed up somewhere.  That or you need to keep a simple excel sheet to track your future cap. I'm sure Mac did that and plenty more, but he wanted to cement his job by going all in last year. It councided with the weakest SOS in the league and we still failed to reach the playoffs. I'd much rather he didn't **** the team in the ass last year n went 8-8 with $15 mil cap carryover. Any reasonable GM would do that. 

For the record, Giants won 2 SBs with a superior group of DL. They haven't come close since. Jets D was one of the top D last year. We had zombies playing LB and one of the worst #2CB play the league saw. We did happen to have possibly the best DL in the league. I wouldn't pay 16mil to Mo. But that's the market a top DL gets. JJ is not getting less than 20mil if he was to do his deal today. 

We did franchise Mo without restructuring anyone. I don't think I've ever seen a team do that. Listen we did overspend about 4mil on Cro, and Harris, but that's it. I'm sure Mac thought we could sign Mo to a reasonable deal which would have given us plenty of space. Mo's 16 mil could be better spent on this team but we will pay it if we have to. We have plenty of cap space coming up, and could move 8 mil to the next two years without making a noticeable dent. It would certainly be smarter to trade Mo for value at another position if we can.

It's not cap hell no matter how you look at it. Who did we miss out on? We gave good offers to everyone we wanted, but lost to teams(Giants) willing to severely overpay. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We did franchise Mo without restructuring anyone. I don't think I've ever seen a team do that. Listen we did overspend about 4mil on Cro, and Harris, but that's it. I'm sure Mac thought we could sign Mo to a reasonable deal which would have given us plenty of space. Mo's 16 mil could be better spent on this team but we will pay it if we have to. We have plenty of cap space coming up, and could move 8 mil to the next two years without making a noticeable dent. It would certainly be smarter to trade Mo for value at another position if we can.

It's not cap hell no matter how you look at it. Who did we miss out on? We gave good offers to everyone we wanted, but lost to teams(Giants) willing to severely overpay. 

They restructured Carpenter. If Mo gets traded, it will be meaningless (as some of Mo's extra/unused cap space will forward to 2017, so there'll be a higher cap limit to offset the higher cap charges next year).

If we keep Mo then Carpenter's restructure saves space now - for the 2nd consecutive artificially low cap # for him) - at the expense of future space, which will get pinched.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They restructured Carpenter. If Mo gets traded, it will be meaningless (as some of Mo's extra/unused cap space will forward to 2017, so there'll be a higher cap limit to offset the higher cap charges next year).

If we keep Mo then Carpenter's restructure saves space now - for the 2nd consecutive artificially low cap # for him) - at the expense of future space, which will get pinched.

Okay I get it. I'm just saying that most teams are in a worse position than we are. Most teams have more cash, but are in debt. We're out of money, but we have little debt.Granted that is because we don't have a QB or an edge rusher but we could easily find the space to sign anyone that happens to become available at a reasonable price. We haven't passed on anyone because we couldn't find the money to do it.

Trading Mo for a pick that we could turn into a QB, or an edge rusher would be nice, and I think that's what Mac is holding out hope for. 

20 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Okay I get it. I'm just saying that most teams are in a worse position than we are. Most teams have more cash, but are in debt. We're out of money, but we have little debt.Granted that is because we don't have a QB or an edge rusher but we could easily find the space to sign anyone that happens to become available at a reasonable price. We haven't passed on anyone because we couldn't find the money to do it.

Trading Mo for a pick that we could turn into a QB, or an edge rusher would be nice, and I think that's what Mac is holding out hope for. 

I wouldn't say we have little debt because we aren't paying a $15M/year pass rusher. Because we are paying half that for twice as many people. How many teams have an $8M nickelback on top of a $17M starting outside corner? Or are spending $5M on a RT who isn't worth $2M? We have $7M in debt on 2 players not on the roster (Ferguson & Kerley). We don't have an $8M/year RB, but next year the Forte/Powell combo will be pushing $10M. Carpenter was signed to a ~$5M/year contract and the next 2 years he's closer to $7M. Ditto Gilchrist. None of that includes potentially paying Mo $16M this year: money we won't be able to push forward to next year to cover these luxuries. He'll be a mountain of $ if we somehow lock him up as well.

We have more debt than you may realize. Two years from now we have almost nothing (relatively speaking). Absent Revis we're looking at around $50M accounted for, and there won't be massive individual, residual dead space for cutting any of the remaining higher-cost players (other than Leonard Williams) if they're not pulling their weight.

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The only way tagging Wilk doesn't end up being a huge blunder is if we keep him and he plays all-pro this year and helps us make the playoffs.

why would that be a blunder? I don't doubt his talent but making the playoffs is not entirely on him. How many playoff wins does JJ have? Is he a blunder?

10 minutes ago, j4jets said:

why would that be a blunder? I don't doubt his talent but making the playoffs is not entirely on him. How many playoff wins does JJ have? Is he a blunder?

I think he just means we wouldn't have anything to show for tagging & keeping him for one more year at $16M we could have used on someone next year who may contribute to a winner. 

If we can't get him locked up, and for 3 straight offseasons now we can't, then rather than lose him for nothing a year later - emotion aside - the thing to do is take the best offer. 

Say the best offer we could get is a 2nd rounder, which will make no one truly happy. If we didn't have Mo, and with 2 starting ends in place on the team, how many would advocate trading away a 2nd round pick to pick him up for one season at $16M (after which he becomes an UFA we can't practically tag at $19M).

Note that keeping him likely means playing Richardson at OLB again, where his talent is not only wasted, but is probably keeping a better natural OLB on he bench. 

Archived