Connor Cook - Gruden's favorite qb in the draft

Augustiniak

I'd be very happy with this pick. Some people call him noodle arm, but I don't see that at all. Maybe due to his shoukder injury that has since healed, But he can make all the throws.

Also, he is not a check down, rb screen passing qb. He likes to thrown down field and into tight spots. He's willing to put the game on his shoulders.

Balls and brains (ran a true pre snap read pro system)

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sudfeld from Indiana hits those same benchmarks (with the 60% completion), but played on a worse team. What's the biggest difference between the two?

Cook played in a pro style offense run by an NFL Caliber head coach. MSU was always willing to run the clock out and win with their defense. Cook was never asked to put up 500 yards a game and run an up tempo offense. 

Meanwhile Sudfeld played in a up tempo offense which inflated his stats and masked his inconsistencies. I am a big Penn State fan and watch a TON of Big Ten football and if you watched both QBs play you wouldn't be comparing the two (even though both hit those same "Parcells" Benchmarks. 

There are some red flags with Cook, just like most college QBs, but he is also the kind of guy that could step in and start game 1. 

He's someone I think will sneak into the first round of this year.  He's a top of the 2nd round guy right now, but I think a team will move into the late first to pick him and gain that extra year in option, which would present significant savings if he's a good QB.  

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cook played in a pro style offense run by an NFL Caliber head coach. MSU was always willing to run the clock out and win with their defense. Cook was never asked to put up 500 yards a game and run an up tempo offense. 

Meanwhile Sudfeld played in a up tempo offense which inflated his stats and masked his inconsistencies. I am a big Penn State fan and watch a TON of Big Ten football and if you watched both QBs play you wouldn't be comparing the two (even though both hit those same "Parcells" Benchmarks. 

There are some red flags with Cook, just like most college QBs, but he is also the kind of guy that could step in and start game 1. 

Thx. Was more asking because I didnt see much of Sudfeld at all besides the OSU game.

the jets sent everyone to his pro day as well.  i thought the interesting part of the article was that (take it on face value) some teams have him as the 2nd best qb in the draft, right up there with goff and wentz.  if that's true, would the jets draft him at 20, if, say, he's the 23rd or so best prospect on their board?  

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Absolutely nothing . Connor Cook is something Sanchez wish he could be.

I agree.  Bigger, stronger, better arm, better college career.  I just figured maybe he was aware of something that made them similar. 

Care to elaborate?  I know you are high on Lynch; what is it about Cook that compares to Sanchez? 

Not really. I wrote up an exhaustingly long breakdown in the draft forum of all the top guys. Lots of ammo I there for you.

August is right, they're college careers are very different - but whatever. Cook is such a low ceiling pick it makes me sick. Somewhere between Alex smith and Sanchez you'll find Cook. Game manager extraordinaire.

I don't like him. I don't want him. Quite frankly, him and his grossly underachieving and static college numbers go disappoint somewhere else.

Just now, Paradis said:

Not really. I wrote up an exhaustingly long breakdown in the draft forum of all the top guys. Lots of ammo I there for you.

August is right, they're college careers are very different - but whatever. Cook is such a low ceiling pick it makes me sick. Somewhere between Alex smith and Sanchez you'll find Cook. Game manager extraordinaire.

I don't like him. I don't want him. Quite frankly, him and his grossly underachieving and static college numbers go disappoint somewhere else.

Okay I will check out your write up.  But even so, he would probably better than any qb we have had since Vinny or Chad. 

gruden called cook a gunslinger, said he makes plays that aren't there.  you have to wonder if all the non-captain stuff was researched and not considered important to how he projects as a pro, b/c his game translates well to the pros.  

i also wonder if a primary reason the jets haven't brought back fitz yet is b/c they know there's a chance they draft someone in round 1 and they'd prefer the rookie to be the starter.  if, say, goff falls to 11 and the jets trade up for him, for example, i doubt they'd want to sit him a year.

the jets sent everyone to his pro day as well.  i thought the interesting part of the article was that (take it on face value) some teams have him as the 2nd best qb in the draft, right up there with goff and wentz.  if that's true, would the jets draft him at 20, if, say, he's the 23rd or so best prospect on their board?  

If he's the 23rd best on their board, they damn well better take him if he's there

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Posted Tuesday at 5:23 PM · Report post

Went back and watched most of Cook's games. There's no doubt in my mind he can play at the next level. I think he needs a year to settle down and make smarter throws, because a lot of his passes are forced short throws in traffic. IMO a lot of those throws have to do with the offense they run at MS, they run a lot of crossing routes and are not a vertical offense. If you watch the games, a very high % of his forced throws are on target and even caught.  Some are just bad, which is where I believe he needs to settle down and be smarter. 

He has high velocity (though, not the best deep ball), sometimes amazing accuracy (overall good accuracy), good footwork, delivers accurately under pressure, comes from a pro-style offense, athletic (can run, but it's not his first instinct), goes through progressions (would like to see improvement here as well), very good awareness, and he'll play tough through injury. I'm not going to put too much emphasis on how much he's won in his career, but there's a lot of smart people who have said "you've never seen a loser in college win in the NFL". He's only been blown out once in college and that was his final game against Bama in the playoffs (which he played decently despite being injured). He gets the ball out really quick, there's no denying this. I haven't seen anyone keep count of how quick he gets the ball out, but he does it better than most I've seen at the college level (not saying I've watched many in depth). That said, I would still like to see improved anticipation. I don't have the all-22 access (if there's a free site that anyone knows about, please let me know), but I've seen throws with perfect anticipation from him, and I've seen some that were late.

Another knock against him is his completion percentage. Throughout the day, I watched 5 games from 2015, and I wouldn't be shocked if his receivers as a whole dropped 35-40 balls on the season. So, I'm not putting too much stock into that. Some of his incompletions are solely on him, and are dangerous. This is also where he needs to settle down. I think he's used to getting the ball out so quickly that he's found a niche when it comes to trying to fit the ball in tight windows. This is also a real concern.

He does a lot of things well, there were a few plays I watched today that Cook read perfectly presnap, knew his guy would be open, purposely looked off the LB/DB and came back to a wide open receiver for the 1st down. 

I understand that people don't like him, but I really believe the only legitimate knock against him is his forced throws translating to the NFL. It's a real concern, one that I'm willing to take because after watching all these games today, I'm convinced that Michigan State only has about 15 plays in their playbook. 

Criticize this if you want, but I'm very convinced he'll be taken in the first round. 

This is my take on him, for those who may possibly give a rat's *ss. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/connor-cook?id=2555332

NFL Comparison Brian Hoyer

Also, his completion percentage got worse every year. Not really what you want to see. I'd rather wait and see with Petty than spend any kind of mid round pick on most of these second or third tier QBs.

they only picked hoyer b/c he played at the same college.  but i think cook is a better prospect than cousins.

How many years did cook start at MSU? 

Is there's any example of a college QB the was a, lets say three-year starter, that WASNT voted captain of his team? 

If yes, did that QB ever pan out in the NFL? 

The fact that he wasn't voted captain is a red flag for me. I'm curious to see if someone can change my mind by providing an example of a QB who shed that stigma.

Just now, Shadetree said:

How many years did cook start at MSU? 

Is there's any example of a college QB the was a, lets say three-year starter, that WASNT voted captain of his team? 

If yes, did that QB ever pan out in the NFL? 

The fact that he wasn't voted captain is a red flag for me. I'm curious to see if someone can change my mind by providing an example of a QB who shed that stigma.

i hear you.  the article notes that the captain of the offense was their center and the alpha male of the entire team.  the article is worth a read.

My big beef with Cook is the non progression, two years ago he looked to me like legit high 1st round pick.  This year just a totally different look to me, stagnated, regressed, not sure how to characterize it but he looked like Paradis described him this past year. 

Cook: 43 games, 57.5 % comp, 71 tds, 22 ints in 1170 attempts.

Mystery QB: 47 games, 64.1% comp, 116 tds, 48 ints in 1562 attempts.

Who is the mystery QB?  Matt Barkley

28 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Also, his completion percentage got worse every year. Not really what you want to see. I'd rather wait and see with Petty than spend any kind of mid round pick on most of these second or third tier QBs.

Its not mid round pick any more.  Its at 20 or maybe even having to move up a few spots.   Teams have been trying to hide how much they like him.

BTW, what happened to having to post link and article?

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

His receivers and o-line also went down in talent over the past 3 years.  Last year I'd say he easily had the least talent of his years at State and the shoulder injury did not help one bit.  I'd love for him to end up here, but I'd rather him go somewhere where he is more likely to succeed as our track record with drafted QB's isn't great and we have another defensively oriented HC.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My big beef with Cook is the non progression, two years ago he looked to me like legit high 1st round pick.  This year just a totally different look to me, stagnated, regressed, not sure how to characterize it but he looked like Paradis described him this past year. 

Cook: 43 games, 57.5 % comp, 71 tds, 22 ints in 1170 attempts.

Mystery QB: 47 games, 64.1% comp, 116 tds, 48 ints in 1562 attempts.

Who is the mystery QB?  Matt Barkley

Let me ask you a question before you head to that bridge. Does it not bother you more that with all this supposed talent Jared Goff has, he was never able to lead his Cal team to the Pac 10 championship . Connor Cook with his weak arm and questionable accuracy led his Spartan team to the Big 12 championship .  Christian Hackenberg with his issues, lack of talent and minimal scholarships due to NCAA penalties, never had a losing season under his guidance . I have a woody for Carson Wentz who looks to me like Chad Pennington with all the bells and whistles Chad was missing .  I see Championships with Wentz, Cook and Hackenberg .  I see a lot of wins with Goff, but no championships .Doesn't that bother you ?

Okay I will check out your write up.  But even so, he would probably better than any qb we have had since Vinny or Chad. 

Here's my take on the top 5 (for what its worth)... It's about 2 months old but nothing's happened to change my opinion

Archived