Connor Cook - Gruden's favorite qb in the draft

Augustiniak

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'd be very happy with this pick. Some people call him noodle arm, but I don't see that at all. Maybe due to his shoukder injury that has since healed, But he can make all the throws.

Also, he is not a check down, rb screen passing qb. He likes to thrown down field and into tight spots. He's willing to put the game on his shoulders.

Balls and brains (ran a true pre snap read pro system)

I hav only seen him about 3 times, but in every game I have seen him miss on short simple timing patterns to open receivers.  For what it is worth.

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Let me ask you a question before you head to that bridge. Does it not bother you more that with all this supposed talent Jared Goff has, he was never able to lead his Cal team to the Pac 10 championship . Connor Cook with his weak arm and questionable accuracy led his Spartan team to the Big 12 championship .  Christian Hackenberg with his issues, lack of talent and minimal scholarships due to NCAA penalties, never had a losing season under his guidance . I have a woody for Carson Wentz who looks to me like Chad Pennington with all the bells and whistles Chad was missing .  I see Championships with Wentz, Cook and Hackenberg .  I see a lot of wins with Goff, but no championships .Doesn't that bother you ?

You are using the nyc metrics of QB evaluation.  Hey player A lead his team to such and such.  Forget how he looked all year, how his arm is, the different competition, the looking forward to the next level.  Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell had great results.  Did Brady win the national champ?  Rivers?  Roeths?

I am looking at how the QB's looked when I watched them what they sound like in interviews if I think they will translate to the next level is their play trending upwards?

You are even using the tried and true nyc method of using one metric with opposite connotations to make the same point.  Qb I like has won big games thus he is really good regardless of team around him, my other Qb over here was handicapped by having a bad team.

(I have Hackenburg rated much lower than Cook.)

Let me ask you a question before you head to that bridge. Does it not bother you more that with all this supposed talent Jared Goff has, he was never able to lead his Cal team to the Pac 10 championship . Connor Cook with his weak arm and questionable accuracy led his Spartan team to the Big 12 championship .  Christian Hackenberg with his issues, lack of talent and minimal scholarships due to NCAA penalties, never had a losing season under his guidance . I have a woody for Carson Wentz who looks to me like Chad Pennington with all the bells and whistles Chad was missing .  I see Championships with Wentz, Cook and Hackenberg .  I see a lot of wins with Goff, but no championships .Doesn't that bother you ?

What about this;

"PFF: Avoid drafting Conner Cook at all costs

While Cook led the QB class with 59.4 percent completions on deep throws, PFF believes that strength is negated by the "glaring mental errors that are a feature of his game." Were it not for seven potential interceptions dropped in 2015, the narrative on Cook may have been different." "Cook struggles to read coverage and often seems to lose sight of underneath coverage defenders, resulting in a number of turnovers," PFF wrote. "Couple the gun-slinging attitude with inconsistent accuracy—and an indifferent performance under pressure—and Cook’s outlook begins to appear bleak." Cook had the fourth-worst overall accuracy percentage among draft-eligible QBs last year. "Ultimately, the good traits simply don’t outweigh the concerns with Connor Cook’s projection," PFF concluded."

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are using the nyc metrics of QB evaluation.  Hey player A lead his team to such and such.  Forget how he looked all year, how his arm is, the different competition, the looking forward to the next level.  Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell had great results.  Did Brady win the national champ?  Rivers?  Roeths?

I am looking at how the QB's looked when I watched them what they sound like in interviews if I think they will translate to the next level is their play trending upwards?

You are even using the tried and true nyc method of using one metric with opposite connotations to make the same point.  Qb I like has won big games thus he is really good regardless of team around him, my other Qb over here was handicapped by having a bad team.

(I have Hackenburg rated much lower than Cook.)

Brady never got the chance to play much and when he did, he looked solid . Big Ben won the championship in his conference and for all the winning that Rivers has done in the NFL, he's never ever sniffed a championship . 

40 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Its not mid round pick any more.  Its at 20 or maybe even having to move up a few spots.   Teams have been trying to hide how much they like him.

BTW, what happened to having to post link and article?

Connor Cook isn't a first round pick. Not even a little bit. I'd think about him in the 4th. That's it. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Connor Cook isn't a first round pick. Not even a little bit. I'd think about him in the 4th. That's it. 

well he going in the first round.   Like I always say around here, 32 NFL GM's decide how valuable someone is.

IE, Geno Smith won't even be signed after the Jets cut him at the end of the month.

well he going in the first round.   Like I always say around here, 32 NFL GM's decide how valuable someone is.

IE, Geno Smith won't even be signed after the Jets cut him at the end of the month.

How much you wanna bet he doesn't? I'll put wager on it, and we got a thread full of witnesses.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Your ego's writing cheques I'm gonna cash.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

My big beef with Cook is the non progression, two years ago he looked to me like legit high 1st round pick.  This year just a totally different look to me, stagnated, regressed, not sure how to characterize it but he looked like Paradis described him this past year. 

Cook: 43 games, 57.5 % comp, 71 tds, 22 ints in 1170 attempts.

Mystery QB: 47 games, 64.1% comp, 116 tds, 48 ints in 1562 attempts.

Who is the mystery QB?  Matt Barkley

Different Conferences make for tough comparisons. The Pac 12 where I believe USC plays is wide open, porous "D"

The Big 10 prides itself on "Defense" and the running game.

I don't think a USC QB vs. a MSU QB is apples to apples

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

this article is a great read, whether you all agree with it or not.  i just can't help but think the jets will wind up with one of these qbs in the first round when all the dust settles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25550469/connor-cook-the-qb-no-one-is-talking-about-wont-last-long-in-nfl-draft

I wouldn't trust Jon Gruden when it comes to evaluating qb's.    His hand picked Successor to Rich Gannon- Marques Tuiasosopo was garbage.   What young Qb has he been ever developed in Oakland , or Tampabay.

Two Years ago he tried to convince the Raiders brass to draft Johnny Manziel- thought he was the best Qb in that draft.( right there should disqualify his Qb judgement.

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Not unusual for the Raiders that have drafted a Kicker and Punter in the 1st rd..:) 

They also turned out to be pretty good picks that lasted a lot longer than guys drafted at other positions.( if some of there other early picks turn out better than those, the playoff drought wouldn't have been so long.

5 hours ago, Shadetree said:

How many years did cook start at MSU? 

Is there's any example of a college QB the was a, lets say three-year starter, that WASNT voted captain of his team? 

If yes, did that QB ever pan out in the NFL? 

The fact that he wasn't voted captain is a red flag for me. I'm curious to see if someone can change my mind by providing an example of a QB who shed that stigma.

Bo Callahan

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cook played in a pro style offense run by an NFL Caliber head coach. MSU was always willing to run the clock out and win with their defense. Cook was never asked to put up 500 yards a game and run an up tempo offense. 

Meanwhile Sudfeld played in a up tempo offense which inflated his stats and masked his inconsistencies. I am a big Penn State fan and watch a TON of Big Ten football and if you watched both QBs play you wouldn't be comparing the two (even though both hit those same "Parcells" Benchmarks. 

There are some red flags with Cook, just like most college QBs, but he is also the kind of guy that could step in and start game 1. 

Why would you take cook when we have a QB in Petty that totally outdueled him in their Bowl game.  Cook will be a bust.    

20 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Why would you take cook when we have a QB in Petty that totally outdueled him in their Bowl game.  Cook will be a bust.    

That isn't how you evaluate talent. 

Brandon weeden totally outplayed Andrew luck in the 2012 Fiesta bowl. Clearly,  weeden will be a better nfl qb. 

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That isn't how you evaluate talent. 

Brandon weeden totally outplayed Andrew luck in the 2012 Fiesta bowl. Clearly,  weeden will be a better nfl qb. 

I hear Weeden is available too!  Get on this Macc!!

(Because clearly QBs play against each other, not their opponents defense.).

Not directed at you JoJo. I know you are making the same point. 

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

My big beef with Cook is the non progression, two years ago he looked to me like legit high 1st round pick.  This year just a totally different look to me, stagnated, regressed, not sure how to characterize it but he looked like Paradis described him this past year. 

Cook: 43 games, 57.5 % comp, 71 tds, 22 ints in 1170 attempts.

Mystery QB: 47 games, 64.1% comp, 116 tds, 48 ints in 1562 attempts.

Who is the mystery QB?  Matt Barkley

And considering that Cook and Barkley were playing with identical contexts (Barkley was throwing to Damian Williams, Robert Woods, and Marquise Lee, in the no-defense Pac 12, while Cook had Bennie Fowler, Tony Lippet, and Aaron Burbridge in the D-centric Big 10) the comparison is totally fair

20 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

And considering that Cook and Barkley were playing with identical contexts (Barkley was throwing to Damian Williams, Robert Woods, and Marquise Lee, in the no-defense Pac 12, while Cook had Bennie Fowler, Tony Lippet, and Aaron Burbridge in the D-centric Big 10) the comparison is totally fair

Both highly touted players who could have come out a year early and been a high pick, both players looked much worse their last year and were trending downward.  Both started a lot of games and checked off the Bill Parcells check boxes. 

20 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

this article is a great read, whether you all agree with it or not.  i just can't help but think the jets will wind up with one of these qbs in the first round when all the dust settles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25550469/connor-cook-the-qb-no-one-is-talking-about-wont-last-long-in-nfl-draft

Jon Gruden has become a TV "personality" who says great things about EVERY QB that comes down the pike. I wouldn't trust his analysis of his own anus.

Archived