Harry Potter Mafia - Game Thread

Leelou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I am town.  I am not mafia. 

Seeing as how lie detection apparently works for statements only made during that day and is the most expensive town spell, each person should make a lie detection statement each day to be tested to make the choice open for the houses to pull from anybody. 

^^ terrible post

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Seeing as how lie detection apparently works for statements only made during that day and is the most expensive town spell, each person should make a lie detection statement each day to be tested to make the choice open for the houses to pull from anybody. 

I'll play. 

i am town. I  am not mafia 

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Care to explain? There's a pretty clear rationale for what I posted above.

There are various scum spells that could potentially thwart an LD test. 

Unless you've gotten verification that LD's trump those spells than this exercise is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to make you look like the mayor of the townieville.

19 minutes ago, Pac said:

Unless you've gotten verification that LD's trump those spells than this exercise is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to make you look like the mayor of the townieville.

Me thinks you might not be playing by the same rules that the rest of us are. If you are a townie it should be pretty obvious what i'm saying. no one claimed that a lie detector test is full proof guaranteed. What you're suggesting is that we don't bother to let the town have a chance at doing a lie detector test on whomever they choose just because there is a possibility it can be resisted or manipulated as it says in the opening posts. News flash, it looks like all townie spells can be countered on some level by mafia spells, should we not bother using any town spells then?

vote pac

7 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Me thinks you might not be playing by the same rules that the rest of us are. If you are a townie it should be pretty obvious what i'm saying. no one claimed that a lie detector test is full proof guaranteed. What you're suggesting is that we don't bother to let the town have a chance at doing a lie detector test on whomever they choose just because there is a possibility it can be resisted or manipulated as it says in the opening posts. News flash, it looks like all townie spells can be countered on some level by mafia spells, should we not bother using any town spells then?

vote pac

balderdash.

11 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Care to explain? There's a pretty clear rationale for what I posted above.

10 hours ago, Pac said:

I am town - I am not mafia. But...

Given that 4 out of the 5 scum spell options can influence a LD test and that the cheapest spell they can buy is a frame spell (20 points, of which they might purchase multiples) or a confusion spell (alter the result to clear scum) I do feel the skepticism here. Fast forward to morning 3, where someone pops up with result where another failed the test - the person that failed the test is just going to say that mafia spies knew that they were going to be tested and put a frame spell on them. 

The fact that it's the most expensive test (80 points) could be a way to get people to throw away their points, and the fact that someone is pushing it is suspect. FOS JVoR.

This is a volume game.

There are more townies, therefore it's a fair assumption that townies are going to earn more potions than scum in each cycle.

Scum has several potions that can undermine the results of views and lie-detections. If you feel you've got scum in your QT, the best method of ensuring a result that you feel you can trust is to "stack" views. In other words, purchase 3-4 views, and use them all on the same person. (Think about this before leaping to the conclusion that "Ape is trying to direct the powers" or whatever dumb sh*t you're going to get paranoid about.) If that person is scum, you have to assume that they won't have the points budget to counter all of the views you're targeting them with. Even if they DO  have the points, they aren't going to have much more to spend on NKs and other such powers. So, either way, if you find scum in your House, and target the sh*t out of them, you can neutralize them.

@Leeelou can you confirm that the roles work in a 1:1 fashion? Meaning, for each 1 view that is used, it would take 1 roleblock to counter it?

So, circling back to my vote on Jetscode - our House didn't employ this method with him. So, my "100%" is not based on view results, before anyone asks. My guarantee is a confidence read. Jetscode's typical meta is to shrug me off if he's town. Maybe a year or so ago, he played scum well... in recent games, he (and he's admitted this himself) has lost his "game" so-to-speak. In recent games, when he's actually scum, he flails and then calls me scum right back. That is what he's doing now. It may not be as evident to you all, as it is to me... but it's happening.

13 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I didn't catch that initially lol - good call.

I am town. I am not mafia.

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is a volume game.

There are more townies, therefore it's a fair assumption that townies are going to earn more potions than scum in each cycle.

Scum has several potions that can undermine the results of views and lie-detections. If you feel you've got scum in your QT, the best method of ensuring a result that you feel you can trust is to "stack" views. In other words, purchase 3-4 views, and use them all on the same person. (Think about this before leaping to the conclusion that "Ape is trying to direct the powers" or whatever dumb sh*t you're going to get paranoid about.) If that person is scum, you have to assume that they won't have the points budget to counter all of the views you're targeting them with. Even if they DO  have the points, they aren't going to have much more to spend on NKs and other such powers. So, either way, if you find scum in your House, and target the sh*t out of them, you can neutralize them.

@Leeelou can you confirm that the roles work in a 1:1 fashion? Meaning, for each 1 view that is used, it would take 1 roleblock to counter it?

So, circling back to my vote on Jetscode - our House didn't employ this method with him. So, my "100%" is not based on view results, before anyone asks. My guarantee is a confidence read. Jetscode's typical meta is to shrug me off if he's town. Maybe a year or so ago, he played scum well... in recent games, he (and he's admitted this himself) has lost his "game" so-to-speak. In recent games, when he's actually scum, he flails and then calls me scum right back. That is what he's doing now. It may not be as evident to you all, as it is to me... but it's happening.

i'd like that answered cause i'm not sure it would work like that. In fact, i'd have it work the opposite

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is a volume game.

Just now, CTM said:

i'd like that answered cause i'm not sure it would work like that. In fact, i'd have it work the opposite

I already asked, and Leelou will confirm, but it does not work 1:1 - the roles are blanket roles (my question to her was about the "doc" role) and the person is protected for the night, regardless of number of actions against them.

25 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is a volume game.

Hmm that's interesting if it works that way. We were thinking of using mirrors but this could be less expensive. i guess it depends how many teammates are submitting actions? The spells post made it sound like the RB blocks one person's spells plural.

Archived