Cimini: Jets Offer to Fitz Tops $7-8 Million

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Glenn Naughton

The New York Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick remain locked in  a free agency showdown over a new contract for the veteran signal caller.  Up to now, it has been widely reported that the Jets had offered Fitzpatrick just $7.5 million per year, which would be a low ball offer based on his production last season.  However, it appears that may not be the case.

Rich Cimini of ESPN New York is reporting that Gang Green’s offer is more generous than circulating rumors have led fans to believe.

A lot of people are wondering if the sudden cap relief from Ferguson’s retirement will lead to a resolution with the Ryan Fitzpatrickstalemate. Short answer: It’s apples and oranges. The Jets’ offer to Fitzpatrick isn’t based on cap space; it’s based on what they feel he’s worth. Obviously, Fitzpatrick feels differently. From what I understand, the offer is better than the $7 million-to-$8 million that is being reported, which means the low-ball perception isn’t quite accurate.

Only Fitzpatrick and the Jets know what the real offer is from the team’s side, and how far apart they are from the demands being made by the player and agent side.

One thing we do know, is that despite Head Coach Todd Bowles’ assertion that the team is comfortable with Geno Smith under center, their actions say the exact opposite.  The Jets have continued to make Fitzpatrick their top priority while taking a very close look at the top QB’s available in this year’s draft.  Not exactly what you’d expect from a team who claims to be happy with their current QB situation.  As the saying goes, actions speak louder than words.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
qZ-C5fCgUMs

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, pointman said:

He isn't worth big money. He won't repeat last years performance. I'm over it. Draft us someone or go get someone else... not named Hoyer or Geno.

Plus with his style of play (he dives for extra yardage) he's likely to get injured.  Without that aggressive style of play he's not as good a QB.  Basically he needs every edge he can get to be middle-of-the-pack.  Last year he was very good but I don't think he can play much better (if at all).  I'm fine w/ 1 year and a team option for year 2 at a low salary (e.g. $7M).  I'll trust Macc on this one whatever he decides though I do hope he finds us our QB of the future in the draft.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need closure on this QB situation with the draft weeks away.

Actually I think the Jets agree.  IMO they have upped his offer to 9-10 M.  Give him to the draft to  decide.

Perhaps Villain becomes the happiest man in Germany.

IMO before we up any offers to him (And i believe we are already higher than where we should be) We should wait and see how the Broncos/Kaep situation plays out. If they come to terms than we're the only job left for Fitz. No reason to start throwing more money at the guy now

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need closure on this QB situation with the draft weeks away.

Hopefully we let Fitz walk, trade Mo and our 1, pick up someone's better 1, and get us a QB. We will be euphoric for months...maybe even a few years, before we realize he is Mark Sanchez 2.0.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Does anyone know how to pre-set an iPad to record my snuff film?

I'm sure there would be dozens of us willing to film it LIVE for you.

We could even donate the $ from ticket and movie rights to the FitzMagic Statue celebrating our 1st SB win in over 40 yrs!

Too bad you'll miss it.

I love that this regime has standards that they set and live by.

Tanny's knee-jerk contract extension to Sanchez after he threw a hissy fit finding out the Jets explored getting Peyon in 2012 was the equivalent of proposing to the ugly fat girl cause you're scared of being alone and have no confidence you can get better. 

Glad those days are gone. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Blah.  You all know I like Fitz.  But why would we pay a cent more than we feel he's worth, and/or whatever his top offer from Denver was?  We're only competing with ourselves here at the moment.

From where did you hear that he received an offer from Denver? To the best of my knowledge, the only team that has made any offer at all is the Jets.

From this article, it would seem we are and have always been the top bidder - an even higher bidder than we realized before - so it's unlikely anyone else even bothered to make an offer for millions less than he had on the table from the Jets.

Honestly, this is is just stupid (if Cimini is actually correct, and he very often isn't). You don't pay $9M (let alone $10M, $11M, or even more) for a player that no one else would pay $6M (and most wouldn't pay more than $3M because they simply don't need or want him at all). The lone exception to vastly outbidding other teams is if that player is the missing key to a serious superbowl run, and Fitz isn't. 

My top offer would still be $7M, since the goal is to have him hold the fort for this year's (or last year's) QB draft pick, and not to actually be the team's answer to the QB position that vaults us to the superbowl.

If he threatens to sit out the season, over not getting paid $16M, then he can go ahead and sit it out. He turns 34 just past midseason this year, so if he doesn't like that reasonable top offer, he should have had a better career to date. Certainly enough teams have given him opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

WTF?   Jets do that and that move will land in the first volume of Jet catastrophic blunders.

Sadly, it wouldn't even be close. They'd have to offer him $16M/year base, plus additional incentives, to even approach Volume 1 levels for this franchise.

But it's still dumb.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sadly, it wouldn't even be close. They'd have to offer him $16M/year base, plus additional incentives, to even approach Volume 1 levels for this franchise.

But it's still dumb.

lol True.  Sperm, they give that dope Fitzpatrick $21M, you know he'll either get hurt in camp or throw 30 picks this season.

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

lol True.  Sperm, they give that dope Fitzpatrick $21M, you know he'll either get hurt in camp or throw 30 picks this season.

What I know is he's destined to have a worse season. Too many things lined up too perfectly for him to repeat those numbers.

And frankly, if things somehow did line up that well again, I still wouldn't want Fitz in there. I'd want a rookie with an actual future to benefit from that cushy situation, not a 33-34 year old journeyman.

Archived