Fitz or Mo? Who can be more easily replaced?

Ex-Rex

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

As to the first, no, and I think I was pretty clear on that the first time with the quotes around replace and the parenthetical disclaimer and stuff. But we can disregard Williams as a substitute and look at actual replacement level. Do you really think we lose more wins relative to last year's team by swapping Wilkerson out for Leger Douzable than by reverting to Geno or god forebid putting Bryce Petty on the field?

Second, yes, definitely. If Marshall produced at the rate he did last year over his whole career with the sheer number of throws he's seen, he's one of the five best receivers of the pass-centric era. He's not that now, no matter what the people who don't care what a ridiculous volume of his offenses' snaps had to be invested to produce his yardage and touchdown totals.

Third, lots of things go into how many touchdowns get thrown over a one-season sample. His FO stats were very much in line with his career numbers.

No, was just saying I dont think we've seen enough to say we have a fair replacement.  Agreeing with you, I guess.

Weird because he's had years with more targets and just as many snaps. The dude is pretty F'ing good.  How many passes had no business being completed that he turned into TD's?  Granted, he dropped some too but Fitz would literally throw prayers up to him, fall to the ground and come up amazed he actually caught the ball.  

Lots of things, like having Marshall to throw prayers to and playing the softest schedule in the league?  

Overall, I get your point and clearly know what positoin is more important but I dont think this is a hard question.  If he wasnt on his 7th team, in his 12th season, 34 and still a FA maybe I'd see it differently but Fitz just isnt that impressive and while our offense may have not been as good as it was last season, plenty of QB's could have led this team to the 9-10 win range and miss the playoffs. Not too many 3-4 DE's out there getting 12 sacks though.

4 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Apparently it's not only a serious question but a hard one. Fitzpatrick accounted for probably 80% of this team's real (i.e., excluding strength of schedule and luck) improvement last year. Everybody claims to understand how important the quarterback is but either they really don't or they've somehow forgotten how bad things were before he got here. Fitzpatrick is a mediocre quarterback, and mediocre means mediocre. It doesn't mean bad and it certainly doesn't mean Sanchez and Geno flaming sh*tbarge worst in the league bad. Over his career he's been a little below average, last year he was a little above average. I've seen a lot of people claim that his play last season was due to Marshall rather than the other way around, which frankly is a ******* joke. One of them had a big fat outlier season last year and it wasn't Fitzpatrick. As to the question posed, we've seen what it takes to 'replace' a planet theory all-pro like Wilkerson (and I want to emphasize here I'm saying all of this notwithstanding that I think he should be retained unless Macstupid has ****ed the cap up so badly that we literally cannot even and that there's a significantly bigger gap between Wilkerson and Richardson/Williams than people here generally think), and that's a top ten pick. Which is a lot. But if you think you're getting a league-average starting quarterback for that you are completely out of your mind.

with regards to Marshalls season being an outlier- his catch rate has generally been below average no? 

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Overall?  One of the best DEs in the game vs one of the better backup QBs in the game?..  Simple, Fitz is more easily replaceable.

For us, they both are easily replaceable.  We definitely already have Wilk's replacement in house (though it'd still be great to somehow bring him back), and we may already have QBs on the the roster who can outperform Fitz for much cheaper.

Also, since Richardson WILL get suspended at some point in the next two years, it would be nice to not lose a 2nd quality defensive lineman, because a 3rd lineman will be getting a nice rest after partaking of his favorite recreational goodies at some point

The issue here isn't Wilk Vs. Fitz 

It comes down to QB Vs. DE. 

And QB beats DE every day. It's the most important position on the field. 

Unfortunately since we already have a good defensive line even without Wilk and even his replacement, then I'd say Fitz is more important simply based on the fact that of the drop off after Fitz (did I just say that? Oh boy) 

If we roll the dice on a rookie you know the odds are you won't have a very successful season, geno won't lead you to anything close to a playoff season, and probably not Petty at this point either. Any other option the Jets would have already done so no to guys you have previously mentioned. 

So yeah, like I said, qb is most important 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, when I talk people do listen. Just ask @RutgersJetFan or @Integrity28

Im like the Howard Stern of Jetnation. They love to bitch about what I say or how I think....yet they all tune the **** in! lol. Im infectious in that way, what can I say? The only guy that I have ever seen on Jetnation actually say "hey I dont like what you have to say" and literally ignored me was @Jetsfan80 , and it took me to show him how to find the "ignore button" on Jetnation. 

So you damn right its on them. Their mouth doesnt reflect their actions, and truth be told...neither does yours. Lets me know that I have the upper hand in this pissing match. :-) 

What are you talking about? "Love to bitch."

You said something hypocritical yesterday, and I made an example of it. You've gotten so overly emo in the past that I ignore you about 99 times out of a 100... but yesterday seemed like a gentle enough thing to call you on that it had a low threshold for you wetting yourself. Obviously I was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that I never "bitch" about your contributions here. I mostly just let you talk yourself in circles.

Do me a favor, don't try and drag me into your histrionics. Thanks bud.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't take the internet very seriously at all. You're a terrible human being and I enjoy pointing it out.

lol, holds grudges for years and gives people on the internet the silent treatment.... but doesn't take it seriously at all.

BWA-*******-HAHAHA

7 minutes ago, jett said:

The issue here isn't Wilk Vs. Fitz 

It comes down to QB Vs. DE. 

And QB beats DE every day. It's the most important position on the field. 

Unfortunately since we already have a good defensive line even without Wilk and even his replacement, then I'd say Fitz is more important simply based on the fact that of the drop off after Fitz (did I just say that? Oh boy) 

If we roll the dice on a rookie you know the odds are you won't have a very successful season, geno won't lead you to anything close to a playoff season, and probably not Petty at this point either. Any other option the Jets would have already done so no to guys you have previously mentioned. 

So yeah, like I said, qb is most important 

Agree with all of this. But Fitzpatrick is far, far easier to replace. That's why a UFA Fitzpatrick can't get a $10M/year short term contract at the NFL's highest paid position, and Mo will garner possibly a 1st round draft pick for the privilege of offering him a contract for millions more per season than the franchise tag amount. If not for his sky-high contract demands, the Jets would never let him go. Fitz? They're not even rushing to sign him in the absence of another decent starter on the roster.

Every year there are a number QBs who put up Fitzpatrick's #s (and there would be many more still if every QB had Fitzpatrick's cushy 2015 situation). There are very few 3-4 DEs who can put up Mo's numbers and play against both the run and pass.

Yes, QB is far more important. Mo is more valuable, even if one wants to argue Fitzpatrick is more valuable to the Jets in the very short term.

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What are you talking about? "Love to bitch."

You said something hypocritical yesterday, and I made an example of it. You've gotten so overly emo in the past that I ignore you about 99 times out of a 100... but yesterday seemed like a gentle enough thing to call you on that it had a low threshold for you wetting yourself. Obviously I was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that I never "bitch" about your contributions here. I mostly just let you talk yourself in circles.

Do me a favor, don't try and drag me into your histrionics. Thanks bud.

I was just doing a check proving a point that what people say and what they do arent the same. Kinda like being so pissed at what a person says that one must convince themselves that they caught that person being hypocritical by way of ignoring everything they were saying to begin with with methods of trying to confuse things and muddy the waters with talks of quarterbacks that either had nothing to do with the original statement or example whatsoever, while requesting a tip of my tin foiled cap for such stupidity and saltiness.

So please, carry on! The dragging experiment is complete, though you were a tad late to the party. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I was just doing a check proving a point that what people say and what they do arent the same. Kinda like being so pissed at what a person says that one must convince themselves that they caught that person being hypocritical by way of ignoring everything they were saying to begin with with methods of trying to confuse things and muddy the waters with talks of quarterbacks that either had nothing to do with the original statement or example whatsoever, while requesting a tip of my tin foiled cap for such stupidity and saltiness.

So please, carry on! The dragging experiment is complete, though you were a tad late to the party. 

Villain, I'm going to say this one last time... the last time I smacked you around you got emotional.

The very fact that I gently suggested you were being a hypocrite yesterday, and it's resulted in a 2-day meltdown in which you're accusing me of "bitching about everything you say" illustrates just how thin-skinned you are. Why don't you move on to another topic?

Nothing good is coming of this for you. 

This question again, really, Fitz is a backup QB, nothing more.

For all you hoping he can repeat last years performance, well I'm excited, lots of wins, thanks many times to his receivers bailing him out and then choking in the most important game of the year to get knock out of the playoff. This against an inferior team and our former coach who knew he was going to beat us and did.

As far as I'm concerned, he can keep his ass where ever he wants to be. If we are not going to the playoffs, then we need to get some positives out of the season from the QB position.

This can be done by trading for a guy like Glennon or another young prospect, who is about the future and not the past.

We can start Geno and, as many of you are so sure will happen, lose large and get one of the top five picks next year. It could also happen that Geno's light has come on and with the talent around him and his physical skills, he surprised the hell out of everyone.

We start Petty with a heavy emphasis on the running game early and slowly introduce more of a passing as his confidence improves.

Any of these three options and keeping Mo and making Fitz a passing * in Jets lure would be just fine by me.

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Villain, I'm going to say this one last time... the last time I smacked you around you got emotional.

The very fact that I gently suggested you were being a hypocrite yesterday, and it's resulted in a 2-day meltdown in which you're accusing me of "bitching about everything you say" illustrates just how thin-skinned you are. Why don't you move on to another topic?

Nothing good is coming of this for you. 

Haha, "smacking me around". Dude, the only thing you're smacking around is your tool during your "private time". You were hot yesterday...to the point that you had to convince yourself to ignore what was written in order for you to conclude that I've reacted the same way about a rookie QB that wasnt a rookie QB. Thats not thinskinned, thats fact. muddying the waters, requesting tips of the cap, and bitching about QB conversations being flooded over to different threads, yet you're the one doing all the talking about those QB's made me laugh while you were busy convincing yourself of the hypocrisy. 

Your insinuation of a 2day meltdown was just you being put on timeout (whenever time that was. You obviously remember it better than I do lol). The fact that you're off of timeout also shows that no grudges were held. YOu want to talk thin skinned, go talk to your boy who's convinced himself that im a "bad human being" by doing the same thing you did. convincing yourself of something that isnt so. 

Thats the only thing going in circles here. I was just showing Bowlesmoment what I was talking about. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Haha, "smacking me around". Dude, the only thing you're smacking around is your tool during your "private time". You were hot yesterday...to the point that you had to convince yourself to ignore what was written in order for you to conclude that I've reacted the same way about a rookie QB that wasnt a rookie QB. Thats not thinskinned, thats fact. muddying the waters, requesting tips of the cap, and bitching about QB conversations being flooded over to different threads, yet you're the one doing all the talking about those QB's made me laugh while you were busy convincing yourself of the hypocrisy. 

Your insinuation of a 2day meltdown was just you being put on timeout (whenever time that was. You obviously remember it better than I do lol). The fact that you're off of timeout also shows that no grudges werent held. YOu want to talk think skinned, go talk to your boy who's convinced himself that im a "bad human being" by doing the same thing you did. convincing yourself of something that isnt so. 

Thats the only thing going in circles here. I was just showing Bowlesmoment what I was talking about. 

lol, okay boobie... you aren't convincing yourself, let alone anyone else... and nobody wants to read this sh*t

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, okay boobie... you aren't convincing yourself, let alone anyone else... and nobody wants to read this sh*t

They dont want to read, but they want to respond. Typical Integrity thats for sure!

"The hypocrisy Villain"! lol.

This isnt going to end well for you. I advise you to go in a corner and smack yourself around or something before I put you back on timeout lol. 

12 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Y did we ever tag Wilk to begin with?

Well there's the obvious answer of wanting to get something back for him leaving.

Could also serve as a way to play broke.  Tell Fitz, "Look, we love ya man.  You're right, you are soooo definitely worth 16mil a year!  We just don't have it.  How 'bout 4mil and a Rex bobblehead?"

Fitz signs, then trade Wilk and avoid killing this team by overspending on a backup QB.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Well there's the obvious answer of wanting to get something back for him leaving.

Could also serve as a way to play broke.  Tell Fitz, "Look, we love ya man.  You're right, you are soooo definitely worth 16mil a year!  We just don't have it.  How 'bout 4mil and a Rex bobblehead?"

Fitz signs, then trade Wilk and avoid killing this team by overspending on a backup QB.

Gay

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Problem is many of his and I opinions happen to align.

This isn't an opinion-based matter. He's just gash hurt and going on 2 days of emo to prove otherwise. I actually haven't even been rubbing salt in the wounds like I would with someone that can take it. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You can pick up where I'm leaving off with Villain, then take credit for all of it. It's on me.

Dude, you were just ether'd and left in a corner to touch on your "feelings". Pretending not to read a post you read, then indirectly continuing the conversation with others shows that Im owning you....literally right now. 

"The hypocrisy Villain"! lmao! 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, you were just ether'd and left in a corner to touch on your "feelings". Pretending not to read a post you read, then indirectly continuing the conversation with others shows that Im owning you....literally right now. 

"The hypocrisy Villain"! lmao! 

You just declared you are owning me. Dude.

Archived