Fitz or Mo? Who can be more easily replaced?

Ex-Rex

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This isn't an opinion-based matter. He's just gash hurt and going on 2 days of emo to prove otherwise. I actually haven't even been rubbing salt in the wounds like I would with someone that can take it. 

Anything to convince yourself of the hypocrisy huh? lol. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, jgb said:

You can either rage against the market ala Idzik or you can have a competitive team. 

There is literally no market for Fitzpatrick. He's lucky the Jets haven't lowered their offer at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This sentence is literally meaningless. Every single team in the NFL would sign him at some number. That's the market.

My post was in response to someone suggesting the market for Fitz is $10M. He's spoken to one other team, Denver, and left without an offer. The market is being pretty clear. Thirty-two NFL teams agree, Fitzpatick isn't worth what he's asking for. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

My post was in response to someone suggesting the market for Fitz is $10M. He's spoken to one other team, Denver, and left without an offer. The market is being pretty clear. Thirty-two NFL teams agree, Fitzpatick isn't worth what he's asking for. 

Leaving aside what he's worth and what he's asking for, it certainly stands to reason that if there were takers at 10M for multiple years he'd be taken, so that's fair.

Except Fitz hasn't been demanding $10M. He's been demanding ≥50% more than that. Doubtful he's been looking for that with merely 1 year or guarantees either.

2 years at that level (common on longer deals) is at least $30M in guarantees. If he really thought he had a chance at $30-32M guaranteed, then I'm starting to think he lucky-guessed "B" correctly on a bunch of his Wonderlic answers lol.

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except Fitz hasn't been demanding $10M. He's been demanding ≥50% more than that. Doubtful he's been looking for that with merely 1 year or guarantees either.

2 years at that level (common on longer deals) is at least $30M in guarantees. If he really thought he had a chance at $30-32M guaranteed, then I'm starting to think he lucky-guessed "B" correctly on a bunch of his Wonderlic answers lol.

And if Maccagnan really expects the ballwashers to stay on message if he trots Geno out there this year then I'm starting to think he got his job by being the seventh caller for a radio promotion. It's hardball. Neither side has any great alternatives here. There's no bargaining advantage. It's the same as it would be if both sides had options.

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol. 

This especially when you are a "bridge the gap" type of player. This is actually what was so surprising from my perspective with so many people not just wanting Fitz to come back, but even at his price demands. Sports media is crazy. 

52 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

And if Maccagnan really expects the ballwashers to stay on message if he trots Geno out there this year then I'm starting to think he got his job by being the seventh caller for a radio promotion. It's hardball. Neither side has any great alternatives here. There's no bargaining advantage. It's the same as it would be if both sides had options.

I like some things he's done and don't like other things. Hard to judge him overall, before seeing how it ends up, but I take for granted it's easier for all of us to tell him to play "miser" and save up a rainy day fund for when we get a really good, young QB on the roster. Convenient for us to say, where he'll get fired if he does it (if it takes until year 3 for his new young QB to start doing something on the field).  Or he himself is being given a directive from above. Who knows, really.

Last year there wasn't much (at QB) outside the top 2 overall picks, with nobody able to trade up, and Petty seemed as good a shot in the dark in the mid-rounds as any, so perhaps I can't fault him for that. This year there are some better QB prospects after the 2nd overall pick, and he simply must draft one and hit. If it takes until next year for that QB to showing promise on the field then that's still ok.

But if we're entering his 4th season as GM and all we have is 1 fluffy-stats 2015 season from Fitzpatrick, and a fingers-crossed hope that his 1st & 2nd year draftees finally belong on an NFL football field more than a $12M-salary Fitzmeh, then it won't be so ok and people will spit the MacBalls out of their mouths. We can bitch and complain about our crappy luck and timing of when we ended up with top 10 picks, but honestly we made our own crappy luck by Idzik investing in Geno, and Tannenbaum re-investing in Sanchez 2 years before that. There were QBs available to us in the 2012 and 2014 drafts, and we simply didn't take them because of that poor judgment. 

I just want to say that comparing me to Ape was absolutely ridiculous. Things I stand for that Ape probably does not, not ranked because they are all equal:

Love

Justice

Honor

Integrity

Peace

Humanity

Discipline

America

Liberty

Freedom

Truth

Progress

Effort

Veracity

Virility

Wisdom

Respect

Hope

Virtue

...and so much more.

19 hours ago, slats said:

There is literally no market for Fitzpatrick. He's lucky the Jets haven't lowered their offer at this point. 

There is no market at his current (reported) asking price. Just like no one would buy my used ipad for $5,000. But if I ask $100, it's sold in 8 seconds.

5 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Fitz is eminently replaceable. An average QB who caught lightning in a bottle for 15 games. He will not do it again.  Mo is gone.  Why debate it?

If an Average QB is so easily replaced then why haven't we had an Average QB in so long? 

16 teams don't have an average QB. We need to sign him for 8 mil or less, and I believe we will. Fitzy knows he has nothing to lose by dragging his feet, and Mac knows Fitz doesn't want to start over at his age on yet another crappy team. He needs the right system, and big receivers. Quick reads and lots of options. Fitz fits here and almost nowhere else. It'll happen after the draft if we don't find a way to draft a top prospect.

13 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If an Average QB is so easily replaced then why haven't we had an Average QB in so long? 

16 teams don't have an average QB. We need to sign him for 8 mil or less, and I believe we will. Fitzy knows he has nothing to lose by dragging his feet, and Mac knows Fitz doesn't want to start over at his age on yet another crappy team. He needs the right system, and big receivers. Quick reads and lots of options. Fitz fits here and almost nowhere else. It'll happen after the draft if we don't find a way to draft a top prospect.

I would be fine with 8 mil but only for one year.

On 4/13/2016 at 11:48 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I like some things he's done and don't like other things. Hard to judge him overall, before seeing how it ends up, but I take for granted it's easier for all of us to tell him to play "miser" and save up a rainy day fund for when we get a really good, young QB on the roster. Convenient for us to say, where he'll get fired if he does it (if it takes until year 3 for his new young QB to start doing something on the field).  Or he himself is being given a directive from above. Who knows, really.

Last year there wasn't much (at QB) outside the top 2 overall picks, with nobody able to trade up, and Petty seemed as good a shot in the dark in the mid-rounds as any, so perhaps I can't fault him for that. This year there are some better QB prospects after the 2nd overall pick, and he simply must draft one and hit. If it takes until next year for that QB to showing promise on the field then that's still ok.

But if we're entering his 4th season as GM and all we have is 1 fluffy-stats 2015 season from Fitzpatrick, and a fingers-crossed hope that his 1st & 2nd year draftees finally belong on an NFL football field more than a $12M-salary Fitzmeh, then it won't be so ok and people will spit the MacBalls out of their mouths. We can bitch and complain about our crappy luck and timing of when we ended up with top 10 picks, but honestly we made our own crappy luck by Idzik investing in Geno, and Tannenbaum re-investing in Sanchez 2 years before that. There were QBs available to us in the 2012 and 2014 drafts, and we simply didn't take them because of that poor judgment. 

I like Mac's talent evaluation skills but he needs to hire a capologist pronto. Someone has to tell him that giving Mo Wilkerson 15 M is insane and will lead to further insanity when Richardson comes due next year. It's a hard pill to swallow but you cannot let ONE player turn your cap inside out, but apparently Mac doesn't know this.

19 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I like Mac's talent evaluation skills but he needs to hire a capologist pronto. Someone has to tell him that giving Mo Wilkerson 15 M is insane and will lead to further insanity when Richardson comes due next year. It's a hard pill to swallow but you cannot let ONE player turn your cap inside out, but apparently Mac doesn't know this.

You really think Mo will still be on the roster come May 1st?

Suppose it's possible but I'm figuring he's gone by the time the draft is over.

Edit:  Now if Macc pays Fitz 10mil+, then yeah, he needs to bring in a "capologist".

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I'm pretty sure he only tagged Mo to get something for him in trade. He's been dangling Mo since last spring after not being able to come to a long term agreement. 

Mo wouldn't turn our cap "inside out" because we aren't paying a QB $20M anytime soon. But with Revis also aboard at that same rate, and a pair of great talent young ends already on the roster, it seems impractical and that such space would be better allocated elsewhere. 

Now if we just fork over the bulk of Mo's cap savings to Fitzpatrick, then it's beyond stupid. 

Archived