Jump to content

Jets set to Host Hackenberg


Recommended Posts

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

 

Continuing to perform due diligence in their never-ending search for a franchise quarterback, Kimberly Jones is reporting that the Jets are set to host former Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg.

One of several polarizing quarterbacks in this draft, Hackenberg came to Penn State as one of the most highly touted recruits in the country.  A successful freshman year saw Hackenberg throw 20 TD and 10 interceptions, leading the  Nittany Lions to believe they had a superstar quarterback in the making.

Following his freshman season however, Hackenberg would sputter through the next two campaigns, throwing just 28 TD’s and 21 interceptions.

He would watch his stock fall from surefire first round draft choice, to one of the drafts biggest question marks in this class, with some experts labeling him a mid-round prospect.

Even still, without Ryan Fitzpatrick under contract and only Geno Smith and a raw Bryce Petty on the roster, the Jets are putting in plenty of overtime in evaluating many of the draft eligible QB’s in the upcoming draft.

 

 

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
gYsQygYVGiA

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Do not like him at all. He has all the tools and is a prototype of what a QB has but he has the complete opposite of what made Tim Tebow a great player in college. Competiveness and the will to win and not give up is something this QB is lacking.

I somehow vehemently agree and vehemently disagree with this post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely no in the first two rounds, but in the middle rounds he's a very interesting prospect.  

1.  He's used to pre-snap changes and displays a good football IQ before the snap.   This is very important in Chan Gailey's system, because the actual in play reads are simple.  The hard part is dissecting the defense at the line of scrimmage to figure out where you have the advantage.  It's one of the reasons why we ran no huddle and still seemed slow at times, with Fitz yelling out random adjustments.   

2.  He can make all the throws, self-explanatory.  

3.  I live in Nashville for the past 6 years, and I've seen a few Vandy games over the years (mainly to see the opponent) and James Franklin is a horrible coach.  He's a good motivator and a decent recruiter, but people weren't crying tears when he left.  He has a very mundane and predictable offense.  So anyone

4.  His main issue is similar to a baseball pitcher with a 100 MPH fastball.  I guess for fellow Yankee fans, he's Nathan Eovaldi,  There are times where you go, holy cow, this guy could just dominate, and times when you start looking at backups.  He has trouble with "bucket throws" and/or "rain drop throws" where he has to put touch on it.  Almost everything seems to be a fastball throw.   

If say you draft him in the 3rd or 4th, then you can try and develop him with the touch throws, but this depends on the coaching staff's ability to actually teach him that.  However, no way I take him in the first two rounds.   He's a developmental QB that has high upside, but he will need atleast one year to learn that he can't rifle every throw in there because that has drastic change in trajectory.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Do not like him at all. He has all the tools and is a prototype of what a QB has but he has the complete opposite of what made Tim Tebow a great player in college. Competiveness and the will to win and not give up is something this QB is lacking.

There's so much talent and so much bad tape, hence the polarizing nature of his draft stock.

I will say that when O'brien left Penn State out of nowhere, he had every opportunity to transfer the next two seasons with teams like Alabama begging for him. He chose to stick it out.

He also had the horrible oline mixed with a system that didn't fit him at all. He has high football IQ (O'brien said the only other QB to pick up his system so quickly was Brady) and talent. 

Worth a look, but can't say I'm fully for or against this pick. I'll let Mac and Bowles decide. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King P said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/08/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/

PFF 100% spot on when it comes to HACKenberg (emphasis on the Hack part). He's garbage/completely overrated.

 

Have folks read this article?  How in the world can you draft this guy with this kind of assessment?

Answer, you can't....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Have folks read this article?  How in the world can you draft this guy with this kind of assessment?

Answer, you can't....

I guess we better email the article to Mac so he can listen to these "experts".   I think I will trust Mac and his scouting department. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to show you how bad Hackenberg is, I'll just place these right over here

 

Hack-WR-Screen-Miss.gif

Hack-Pick-Six.gif

Need I say more? If you had Geno (which most of you do) then I'm not sure how you'd want this guy behind center for us. Yuck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Do not like him at all. He has all the tools and is a prototype of what a QB has but he has the complete opposite of what made Tim Tebow a great player in college. Competiveness and the will to win and not give up is something this QB is lacking.

You couldn't be more wrong. The kid was tougher than just about any QB you could find. He was playing behind one of colleges worst offensive lines and playing in a system that did not fit his capabilities. 

And if those excuses aren't enough, when Penn State was hit with tons of sanctions that effectively prevented them from fielding a competitive team he opted to stay at Penn State instead of bailing on the program and transferring (without penalty) to one of a number of top colleges where he would have had a better chance at success. If that isn't a sign of leadership I don't know what is. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You couldn't be more wrong. The kid was tougher than just about any QB you could find. He was playing behind one of colleges worst offensive lines and playing in a system that did not fit his capabilities. 

And if those excuses aren't enough, when Penn State was hit with tons of sanctions that effectively prevented them from fielding a competitive team he opted to stay at Penn State instead of bailing on the program and transferring (without penalty) to one of a number of top colleges where he would have had a better chance at success. If that isn't a sign of leadership I don't know what is. 

I agree. The issue with him is not his leadership or measurables. He has the size, the arm, the football IQ, the leadership qualities, and he CAN be very accurate on both short, intermediate and deep balls. I've seen him make incredible thrown with pressure in his face. I've seen him stay in the pocket and go through his progressions. I've seen him look off the safety and throw his WR open. He has a great pump fake and I've seen him make DBs look foolish with it. 

Having said all this he is WILDLY inconsistent and with all the good there almost as much bad. Unthinkable decision making. Awful overthrows. Bad footwork. 

I really don't get it. I think teams will stay away until Rd. 3 or 4.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You couldn't be more wrong. The kid was tougher than just about any QB you could find. He was playing behind one of colleges worst offensive lines and playing in a system that did not fit his capabilities. 

And if those excuses aren't enough, when Penn State was hit with tons of sanctions that effectively prevented them from fielding a competitive team he opted to stay at Penn State instead of bailing on the program and transferring (without penalty) to one of a number of top colleges where he would have had a better chance at success. If that isn't a sign of leadership I don't know what is. 

Or stupidity?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Have folks read this article?  How in the world can you draft this guy with this kind of assessment?

Answer, you can't....

because he is so good at evaluation talent that 32 teams have tried to hire him?

 

Or is he trying to get clicks on his web site?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree. The issue with him is not his leadership or measurables. He has the size, the arm, the football IQ, the leadership qualities, and he CAN be very accurate on both short, intermediate and deep balls. I've seen him make incredible thrown with pressure in his face. I've seen him stay in the pocket and go through his progressions. I've seen him look off the safety and throw his WR open. He has a great pump fake and I've seen him make DBs look foolish with it. 

Having said all this he is WILDLY inconsistent and with all the good there almost as much bad. Unthinkable decision making. Awful overthrows. Bad footwork. 

I really don't get it. I think teams will stay away until Rd. 3 or 4.   

Exactly. 

For those that follow college football. When a kid like Hackenberg starts as a freshmen and posts a 58.9 completion percentage it is almost a lock that his completion percentage will only improve each year after that. Instead, his completion percentage dropped. To me, that is coaching and a lack of talent surrounding him. While he did have some good WRs  and this year he had a great freshmen RB, he had ZERO line. He would be hit on every drop back and ultimately he lost confidence so that when he did have time he would still short arm some throws. 

As a PSU fan it was maddening at times to watch a kid that sacrificed so much (could have bailed on PSU and go to a school with a full compliment of scholarships) be misused and get worse as his got older. I think with the proper coaching the kid can be a franchise QB. With that said, I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. He's more of a 2nd/3rd round guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flgreen said:

4th round I take a shot at him.  Nothing higher then that

I never get this kind of thinking. It really depends on how the board stacks up at that time as well as other factors.  There could be a run on quarterbacks in the 2nd and 3rd round and he may not last until the fourth. Hell, he may not get out of the second round for all we know.  Somebody like Bruce Ariens could take him to groom behind Carson Palmer.  You never know. If you like his skill set and ceiling better an another player on the board than you take him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I never get this kind of thinking. It really depends on how the board stacks up at that time as well as other factors.  There could be a run on quarterbacks in the 2nd and 3rd round and he may not last until the fourth. Hell, he may not get out of the second round for all we know.  Somebody like Bruce Ariens could take him to groom behind Carson Palmer.  You never know. If you like his skill set and ceiling better an another player on the board than you take him. 

Then he's gone.  Somebody else over paid for him.   Hackenberg  is not the kind of QB that you target as  a must have guy.  If he falls to a round where he has value you take him.  IMO he doesn't have any value until the 4th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Then he's gone.  Somebody else over paid for him.   Hackenberg  is not the kind of QB that you target as  a must have guy.  If he falls to a round where he has value you take him.  IMO he doesn't have any value until the 4th.

I never said he was a must have guy.  Where did that come from? Regarding his value, I would disagree with you but we shall see in few weeks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I never said he was a must have guy.  Where did that come from? Regarding his value, I would disagree with you but we shall see in few weeks.  

It came from that you seemed concerned he wold be gone in the 2nd,   "There could be a run on quarterbacks in the 2nd and 3rd round and he may not last until the fourth. Hell, he may not get out of the second round for all we know."

Unless I'm misreading it that indicates to me that you would target him as an early selection.  Which is your opinion, and that's cool.  I just don't see Hackenberg as anywhere near a 1st or 2nd round talent

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hackenberg reminds me of another Penn St QB.  His name is Kerry Collins. Are you getting a good Kerry when he took Carolina to the championship game and the Giants to the Super Bowl or will you get a bad Kerry who will get sacked numerous times and looks lost in the pocket. That is the question.  Taking him in the first two rounds will be a mistake.  My choice in the first round would of been Lynch but now that goes down the drain. Is Cook the better option at 20. If you would of told me last year and the year before I would say yes big time but this year was an up and down year and the Jets really need to get this guy in a room and on a field to see where this player is. If he is the guy from before he is a way better option than Hackenberg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If you feel like you're probably wasting the pick, why take him at all?

Because he has some talent, and who knows he might develop it.  He has the value there, and it's a good risk reward.  Same with Petty last year..  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...