Report: Rams Move to #1 Pick in Trade

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

And you know that how??

You will never consistently win in the NFL without a franchise QB. The Rams are smart enough to realize this.

Other teams don't get this.

Because for the most part just finding a franchise QB is hard enough. Every year we go through this "Franchise QB" talk with rookies with no experience as if its legit. Most of these guys flame out because of poor development/talent around them. Besides that point, when a team gives up that much of their draft stock over multiple years then they cant build around the guy they just invested in so much and it ends up not working. 

You've been around long enough to understand that. Its hard enough to build around your franchise QB when you DO hit while not throwing away all your picks....just ask Indy. 

They'll draft one of the top QB's and put him behind a bottom 5 offensive line and a WR corp that has no #1 or #2 WR (my opinion) and no TE. They're going to end up burning Gurley out through over use and being ruff'ed up on every play. 

I could have accepted all of the picks they gave Tenn this year to move up...but they gave them a 1st and 3rd NEXT YEAR???? They should have stayed at 15, taken Lynch if he was there and called it a day. Wentz nor Goff come off as an absolute "sure bet". 

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

If wentz/goff go 1/2 you think SF takes lynch at 7? Seems like a bit of a reach

If you like the QB, does it really matter if it's at 7, 15, 20?

You either view him as a franchise QB or you don't. I don't think teams would view him as only a franchise QB after pick 12 or whatever.

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

From the article...

Imagine the Jets get the #15 and #45 for Mo Wilk????

Titans draft:

• Wilkerson is their 1st, so to speak
  • two 2nd rounders
  • two 3rd rounders
  • 5, 6 and 7th rounders

Would be a great haul for a team with the cap space to sign Wilk.

Meanwhile, the Jets:

• 15th pick
  • 20th pick
  • two 2nd rounders
  • 3rd, 4th and two 7ths

I would do that trade and not think twice about even if we don't get a QB we like out of it....but it sounds like a pipedream

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Now it's being reported that the Rams are moving up for Goff and we tried to move up as well

This draft is setting up to be one of the most exciting in years. Last year was pretty bland, no moving up...trades or anything. 

This draft we're probably looking at draft day trades with picks and players moving all over the place. (Wilkerson, Glennon, etc.). Chicago is being set up for a nice draft. 

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Rams will put a rookie QB behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. He will have limited targets at the receiver spot. Stedman Bailey was shot, Wes Welker should retire, Kenny Brit flamed out, Tavon is a slot/gadget man and Brian Quick has not lived up to his physical attributes. Oh, and Jared Cook is now a Packer. 

I would take Santonio Holmes/Braylon Edwards duo over whatever the Rams decide to field. Minus Gurley, all the talent is on the defensive side of the ball and they just traded two years worth of draft picks to move up 14 spots to draft a QB that they now cant build around.

This is a bad trade if you ask me. 

If by worst olines in the game you mean an oiline that was best in the league for not giving up sacks and middle of the pack on Qb hits I can see that I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If by worst olines in the game you mean an oiline that was best in the league for not giving up sacks and middle of the pack on Qb hits I can see that I suppose.

Good thing they don't have a running back to go with that to take pressure off of the QB.

Oh, wait....

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

From the article...

Imagine the Jets get the #15 and #45 for Mo Wilk????

Titans draft:

• Wilkerson is their 1st, so to speak
  • two 2nd rounders
  • two 3rd rounders
  • 5, 6 and 7th rounders

Would be a great haul for a team with the cap space to sign Wilk.

Meanwhile, the Jets:

• 15th pick
  • 20th pick
  • two 2nd rounders
  • 3rd, 4th and two 7ths

I'm in the small minority, but I don;t think there is ANY real, material, high-pick-trade interest in Mo.

I don't think we'd get nearly that much value for him, frankly.

It's Glennon all over again, teams can SAY such and such will cost X, but reality is no one is going to pay X, and the only interest would be substantially lower than X.

Like Glennon, I think Mo is vastly over-valued by some folks in terms of what we really can get for him.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You were searching hard huh? lol. 

Here's a link....which talks about their 28th ranked Oline from PFF along with their "sack" stats all in the same article. 

Also, Oline isnt their only problem that I mentioned....why didnt you mention the WR problem and TE problem? Not important for a young QB is it? 

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26169/rams-finish-28th-in-pffs-offensive-line-rankings

You could have just said "Fair point Villain". :-)

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's a nice pipe dream, but it's one thing to trade out of the 1st pick, and its entirely other thing to trade out of the 1st pick & round altogether. Mo or no Mo.

Well, it does make sense to do that. You could justify that you'd be hard pressed to find a player of Wilkerson's talent at 15, I know it's obviously been done, Wilk himself was like a 26th or 27th pick but it's a trade that could get fans excited and you may feel that nothing else left at 15 is worth passing on Mo. Still don't think it would happen but I'm sure Mac will make calls

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

what all the "Rams got killed in this trade" people are missing is the significance of the move from STL to LA.  This is their first year back in LA. they will have to sell season tickets. Remember when the Jets traded up for Sanchez, right before the new stadium opened? It's all about building excitement. Jack Conklin at 15 doesn't put butts in seats. And we can talk about building a winner but honestly, they split the profits 32 ways, being a winner isn't that much more lucrative than being an exciting loser.  People from California presumably know who Jared Goff is. And side note they were going into the season with Case Keenum as the starter. CASE KEENUM. 

i'd also like to gloat that I called this deal about 3 weeks ago, exact team and almost exact package of picks. 

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2016.htm

Just now, bitonti said:

what all the "Rams got killed in this trade" people are missing is the significance of the move from STL to LA.  This is their first year back in LA. they will have to sell season tickets. Remember when the Jets traded up for Sanchez, right before the new stadium opened? It's all about building excitement. Jack Conklin at 15 doesn't put butts in seats. And we can talk about building a winner but honestly, they split the profits 32 ways, being a winner isn't that much more lucrative than being an exciting loser.  People from California presumably know who Jared Goff is. And side note they were going into the season with Case Keenum as the starter. CASE KEENUM. 

Im not missing a thing. If you see my very 1st quote in this thread I even stated that this wasnt a surprise given that they werent going to open up this season in a new town with Case Keenum. 

The trade (outside of that fact) is completely lopsided. Tenn made out like a bandit for real. 

Sure, the Rams will sell tickets this year, but they basically just sabotaged themselves long term. No one missed that 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

The trade (outside of that fact) is completely lopsided. Tenn made out like a bandit for real. 

well they had the extra second because of the Sam Bradford deal. That pick is awesome when you are the Pats and need cheap players to put around Tom Brady. But it's not a place to find a franchise QB. 

As for the lopsidedness, it works out basically perfect according to the trade value chart. That's what it takes to get from 1 to 15. The value of the difference between 1 and 2 is 400 points or the value of the 18th overall pick. It's rare air. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm in the small minority, but I don;t think there is ANY real, material, high-pick-trade interest in Mo.

I don't think we'd get nearly that much value for him, frankly.

It's Glennon all over again, teams can SAY such and such will cost X, but reality is no one is going to pay X, and the only interest would be substantially lower than X.

Like Glennon, I think Mo is vastly over-valued by some folks in terms of what we really can get for him.

I agree with you. I dont think we're getting a 1st for Wilk, or I should say that I'd be very surprised if we did. I think we could have pulled off a 1st last year given that he was still under that rookie deal. 1st round picks no longer get "the biggest contracts in team history" like they did just a few years ago. If a team gives up a 1st for Wilk they will also have to probably give him the most expensive contract in the history of that franchise....I think Wilk will be traded and will get his contract, I just dont think that team is giving up a 1st (or atleast a high to mid 1st) to do it. 

Glennon is worth a 1st though. Stop it. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You were searching hard huh? lol. 

Here's a link....which talks about their 28th ranked Oline from PFF along with their "sack" stats all in the same article. 

Also, Oline isnt their only problem that I mentioned....why didnt you mention the WR problem and TE problem? Not important for a young QB is it? 

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26169/rams-finish-28th-in-pffs-offensive-line-rankings

Yeah:  " While the total ranking via PFF's grading system would indicate major issues on the offensive line, it's only fair to point out that the Rams allowed the fewest sacks in the league (18) and finished seventh in the NFL in rushing yards per game."

I'll take PFF numbers over my Qb actually getting smashed and my running back getting stuffed every day....oh wait, fewest sacks, 7th in rushing....I guess I wouldn't

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

This is why when you're a bad football team, you just tank the season. F*ck Rex and his late season moral victories.

Then that's on the GM/owner to fire him in December, and replace him with a puppet who has been commanded to lose the 1 remaining game for $500K.

No matter how hated he is, you can't seriously expect a coach - who knows he's getting fired the morning after the last game of the season - to purposely make his just-got-fired resume even worse. There's nothing in it for him to lose the game on purpose. If you want him to do that, then it's on Woody to give Rex an under the table bonus to tank on purpose.  

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

This is why when you're a bad football team, you just tank the season. F*ck Rex and his late season moral victories.

Yeah, it's like you can lose two games in one season to secure the first overall pick when it is within your grasp or you can trade away a decade of your draft picks And core out your team because you want some moral victories. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah:  " While the total ranking via PFF's grading system would indicate major issues on the offensive line, it's only fair to point out that the Rams allowed the fewest sacks in the league (18) and finished seventh in the NFL in rushing yards per game."

I'll take PFF numbers over my Qb actually getting smashed and my running back getting stuffed every day....oh wait, fewest sacks, 7th in rushing....I guess I wouldn't

yeah, but thats not all I spoke about. I dont know why you're isolating my statement. But its cool. We'll see at the end of the year what that Oline/WR/TE group does. 

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wow, has to be for Goff, they need to generate some excitement right away and I don't think they can start Wentz immediately.

You think so? I think with giving up that much they're announcing they're not going to be contending this year (and probably not next year either).

They have a QB who can start the first half of the season. Then after Keenan screws up, the fan base will be that much more patient with Wentz as a rookie (in addition to giving him the month or two of clipboard holding that he probably needs). 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

well they had the extra second because of the Sam Bradford deal. That pick is awesome when you are the Pats and need cheap players to put around Tom Brady. But it's not a place to find a franchise QB. 

As for the lopsidedness, it works out basically perfect according to the trade value chart. That's what it takes to get from 1 to 15. The value of the difference between 1 and 2 is 400 points or the value of the 18th overall pick. It's rare air. 

Charts are general. The Rams need alot of of help on the offensive side of the ball. It may have made sense to the value chart, but that doesnt mean that it made sense to your franchise. 

For example. Thats like saying Damon Harrison wasnt worth the money that the Giants gave him. Sure if you're a Jets fan. With all the Dline talent we have along with already having Wilk on a tag, it surely wouldnt make sense to us. But to a Giants team that has nothing at that position along with a shyte load of cash...it makes better sense. 

With that said though, if I was a Rams fan I'd be a bit salty over this. Maybe if I was a Rams season ticket holder though I wouldnt be so pissed. Who knows. 

Why do most think its Goff?  I think the only reason to get ahead of the Browns is because they are after Wentz.  makes sense now too about the Browns looking to trade out of #2.  If they really only wanted Wentz and now the Rams have stolen him, they may want to trade down themselves if they aren't enamored with Goff.

Archived