Report: Rams Move to #1 Pick in Trade

CrazyCarl40

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Titans absolutely robbed the Rams here. Rams ownership is without a doubt looking to drive up team interest and ticket sales with this move...

Tennessee has a really good chance here to build a really good team. They can really try to build around Mariota.

I agree. The Titans absolutely took the Rams for a ride here. So bad that if Goff/Wentz are anything less than franchise QB's it would make this trade an absolute failure. 

All that to sell tickets at a new stadium. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Food for thought, indeed -- but my point is -- IF San Fran for example thinks Lynch is a franchise QB and they like him... They're not going to pass on him at 7. They may try to trade back or what have - but it's not like you only take the Qb when it's past pick 15 or whatever.

Def. true. If a team believes the guy can be their franchise QB they will trade up high for him and they will take him high if they have a high pick. Having said that, the question remains- does SF believe Lynch is that guy. Its a fair question b/c Lynch is so raw but has a lot of upside. If his floor was higher the decision would be easier- take him. If his ceiling was lower the decision would be easier- pass on him. This is what makes him such an interesting prospect- very high ceiling, very low floor. I'm convinced he will not fall out of the first round. But I'm not fully convinced he will go in the top 20. 

I think the Jets could take him at 20 if he is there but I'm not sure that SF will take him at 7. Maybe the browns trade down into the teens (ahead of the Jets) and take him, but I would have to assume it would be with a team that wanted Wentz (assuming Rams want Goff). And I don't see a team in the teens that has a major need at QB. New Orleans maybe?  

Def. true. If a team believes the guy can be their franchise QB they will trade up high for him and they will take him high if they have a high pick. Having said that, the question remains- does SF believe Lynch is that guy. Its a fair question b/c Lynch is so raw but has a lot of upside. If his floor was higher the decision would be easier- take him. If his ceiling was lower the decision would be easier- pass on him. This is what makes him such an interesting prospect- very high ceiling, very low floor. I'm convinced he will not fall out of the first round. But I'm not fully convinced he will go in the top 20. 

I think the Jets could take him at 20 if he is there but I'm not sure that SF will take him at 7. Maybe the browns trade down into the teens (ahead of the Jets) and take him, but I would have to assume it would be with a team that wanted Wentz (assuming Rams want Goff). And I don't see a team in the teens that has a major need at QB. New Orleans maybe?  

IMO both New Orleans and Chicago are wild cards.

Why do people think the Titans are gonna waste the 15th pick on a maybe OT?  If they really wanted an OT they stay, and take Tunsil.  They want Ramsey wouldn't be shocked if they traded back up to get him if he falls a little, but if he doesn't the Titans are taking the best available DB on their board.

Yeah:  " While the total ranking via PFF's grading system would indicate major issues on the offensive line, it's only fair to point out that the Rams allowed the fewest sacks in the league (18) and finished seventh in the NFL in rushing yards per game."

I'll take PFF numbers over my Qb actually getting smashed and my running back getting stuffed every day....oh wait, fewest sacks, 7th in rushing....I guess I wouldn't

Give me yards per carry and sacks per drop back stats, not raw numbers

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

Give me yards per carry and sacks per drop back stats, not raw numbers

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Well, if the QB is running for his life throwing incomplete passes erasing would-be sacks along with a RB breaking a sh*t load of tackles at the LOS then yeah, those stats could look awesome. Why do many people think that Gurley is such a stud? Its because of what he does dispite that offensive line. 

This is generally speaking here. Its not like I seen a ton of Rams games. Sure, not giving up alot of sacks and having a RB that can break 1 or more tackles at the LOS is great. Doesnt mean that you give up two years worth of draft picks in order to put a rookie behind that line. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

what all the "Rams got killed in this trade" people are missing is the significance of the move from STL to LA.  This is their first year back in LA. they will have to sell season tickets. Remember when the Jets traded up for Sanchez, right before the new stadium opened? It's all about building excitement. Jack Conklin at 15 doesn't put butts in seats. And we can talk about building a winner but honestly, they split the profits 32 ways, being a winner isn't that much more lucrative than being an exciting loser.  People from California presumably know who Jared Goff is. And side note they were going into the season with Case Keenum as the starter. CASE KEENUM. 

i'd also like to gloat that I called this deal about 3 weeks ago, exact team and almost exact package of picks. 

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2016.htm

Good call.  Lets treat this like comp picks.  You may now expunge either Gholston or D-Rob from your record... Your pick!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm in the small minority, but I don;t think there is ANY real, material, high-pick-trade interest in Mo.

I don't think we'd get nearly that much value for him, frankly.

It's Glennon all over again, teams can SAY such and such will cost X, but reality is no one is going to pay X, and the only interest would be substantially lower than X.

Like Glennon, I think Mo is vastly over-valued by some folks in terms of what we really can get for him.

If we can get a 2 for him, I think that's a good deal.

If not, keep him for a year, and get a late 3 in 2018.   It's not his skill, it's his skill + salary

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

This is why when you're a bad football team, you just tank the season. F*ck Rex and his late season moral victories.

i am coming to this conclusion as well.  frankly the key is to tank two years.. use one year to get a franchise qb and then trade the second year for a big haul.  titans did it perfectly.  they should be able to have 7-9 starters just from these two years picks.

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Good call.  Lets treat this like comp picks.  You may now expunge either Gholston or D-Rob from your record... Your pick!

tough choice but definitely Gholston. What a worthless POS he turned out to be. 

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

You could be right, fair point. I just think you make that big of a trade, going to a new city, they are going to want to see their shiny new toy immediately, and Wentz is not ready for that, but time will tell.

Could be, but I think if they're trading all that away for 2 straight years, then they're pretty much announcing to the world that they aren't seriously competing for the next year or two. Giving up that many picks they can't even re-tool anywhere for cheap unless they hit paydirt on all their 4th-7th round picks (lol best of luck there).

Other crazy thing is that, if they do acknowledge it's a rebuild year, then the 2017 picks they traded to the Titans should be good ones (quite possibly, #5-10 overall as well as the same #5-10 pick in the next 2 rounds). So if the Titans pick well, and Mariota improves a lot, they could be a 9-10 win team and still end up with a top 5 pick next year (in addition to their own). 

What a freaking haul. It makes Ditka's Ricky Williams trade-up look like a bargain.

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

I was really just bitching about the 8-8 season, your spot on about the bold, the jumping around and dancing and celebrating 8-8 was one of the lowest points of my Jets fandom that dates back to the late 70's, it was disgusting, so I throw that in whenever I can :)

lol fair enough.

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Titans GM saying his phone is still open for business...

Mo for a couple of those top 76 picks would be nice.

Swap 15 for 20, and get two of their 3 second round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two second rounders for Mo and a swap?  Hmmmm  I don't think they would give up two 2nd rounders.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

There is no way the Ravens lead pipe cinch viewed flacco as a franchise guy if they traded down, if so they were just stupidly lucky to get him.  No chance at all you can use that draft to justify not taking a Qb you view as a franchise guy early and trading down and hooping he is there for you

Fine, then don't believe it. They said so themselves that they figured nobody would touch him inside the top 15 or something. They saw/met Flacco up close and totally wet themselves over him. But they knew - or thought they knew - he was a massive reach at #8 and they were just giving free picks and cap room away. It's the reason they gave up enough to trade back up to get him right after trading down. He was their guy.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fine, then don't believe it. They said so themselves that they figured nobody would touch him inside the top 15 or something. They saw/met Flacco up close and totally wet themselves over him. But they knew - or thought they knew - he was a massive reach at #8 and they were just giving free picks and cap room away. It's the reason they gave up enough to trade back up to get him right after trading down. He was their guy.

Like I said if that is the case they were stupid and massively lucky and their pattern for getting their Qb is not to be followed.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Like I said if that is the case they were stupid and massively lucky and their pattern for getting their Qb is not to be followed.

Bisciotti wanted them to trade up for Ryan but the rest of the FO figured it was too high a price and liked Flacco pretty much as much as Ryan, but knew that was too high of a pick for him. They thought he'd still be there well into the 20s (and may have been right, but that was deemed to risky to wait). You're looking at how Flacco turned out, as opposed to what kind of prospect he was. He played at freaking Delaware or something and as of the National Championship game was looked upon as a 3rd round pick. They weren't taking him #8 in the country. Nobody was, and they knew it.

That they had him rated #15 overall. That was the 15-number I was mis-remembering in my prior post.

Here you go:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201408/flying-high-baltimore-ravens-jamison-hensley-joe-flacco-steve-bisciotti

The Ravens, who were drafting No. 8 in 2008, knew they would have to jump six spots to No. 2 (and ahead of the Atlanta Falcons) to get Ryan. Baltimore called the St. Louis Rams, who had the second overall pick, and they wanted two first-round picks (2008 and 2009) along with the Ravens' picks in the second and third rounds.

Team officials convinced Bisciotti the smarter play was to trade back, acquire more picks, and take Flacco. The Ravens had Ryan rated as the No. 3 player in the entire draft and Flacco at No. 15. There wasn't much separation between the quarterbacks in the Ravens' opinion.

The team's scouts thought Flacco had a lower floor than Ryan, but he had the higher ceiling.

The Ravens dropped from a top-10 pick to near the bottom of the first round, which proved too far down to Bisciotti's liking. He started getting antsy that Flacco wouldn't drop to the Ravens. He didn't want to get stuck with a quarterback like Chad Henne or Brian Brohm, who weren't rated anywhere close to Flacco on the Ravens' board.

Bisciotti wanted the Ravens to trade a third-round pick and move up, but Eric DeCosta, the Ravens' director of player personnel at the time, didn't think the team should do it. DeCosta told Bisciotti that Flacco would be there at No. 26. Bisciotti then looked across the table at DeCosta and told him, "And what if he isn't? What if somebody takes him? Is it going to be worth an extra third-round pick? We have three of them. So, stop being a pick whore. Let's give up a third, and go back and get him, and be done with this."

The Ravens gave up a pick in the third and sixth rounds to Houston in order to go to No. 18 and take Flacco. At the news conference, general manager Ozzie Newsome essentially delivered the coronation of Flacco, calling him "the guy to lead our football team into the future."

32 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Titans GM saying his phone is still open for business...

Mo for a couple of those top 76 picks would be nice.

Swap 15 for 20, and get two of their 3 second round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Tennessee goes back up the draft to grab Ramsey, he is the biggest loser in this trade, he went from possibly being the first overall pick to now possibly falling to 10 if the Jaguars pass on him, and if Jaguars pass on him, and he is there at 8 I can see the Eagles trading down gambling Elliot is still available at 15.

I think Tennessee goes back up the draft to grab Ramsey, he is the biggest loser in this trade, he went from possibly being the first overall pick to now possibly falling to 10 if the Jaguars pass on him, and if Jaguars pass on him, and he is there at 8 I can see the Eagles trading down gambling Elliot is still available at 15.

He won't get past BAL... But more so he's been DAL's number 1 player this whole time

Yeah, they liked Flacco and got massively lucky he was still there after their trade down.  The article doesn't change anything.  When dealing with a Qb you really like, dicking around and saying, well he isn't worth 8 but he will be worth 26! most often gets you sitting there at 26 and lamenting that your guy got picked at 22 or something.  That would be like the Jets saying, hey we really like Paxton Lynch but on our board we have him at 28 overall so we will just trade down, grab a 3rd and take him there! 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

what all the "Rams got killed in this trade" people are missing is the significance of the move from STL to LA.  This is their first year back in LA. they will have to sell season tickets. Remember when the Jets traded up for Sanchez, right before the new stadium opened? It's all about building excitement. Jack Conklin at 15 doesn't put butts in seats. And we can talk about building a winner but honestly, they split the profits 32 ways, being a winner isn't that much more lucrative than being an exciting loser.  People from California presumably know who Jared Goff is. And side note they were going into the season with Case Keenum as the starter. CASE KEENUM. 

i'd also like to gloat that I called this deal about 3 weeks ago, exact team and almost exact package of picks. 

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2016.htm

How did you call it when yours was based on Collingsworth's mock which was posted first?

Also, neither of you have Lynch going in the first round. You still believe that? 

Reminds me of when Flacco wasn't deemed a first rounder cause his footwork needed help.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

This is why when you're a bad football team, you just tank the season. F*ck Rex and his late season moral victories.

If you're guaranteed to have a job the next season 

45 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i am coming to this conclusion as well.  frankly the key is to tank two years.. use one year to get a franchise qb and then trade the second year for a big haul.  titans did it perfectly.  they should be able to have 7-9 starters just from these two years picks.

They should have rehired Rich Kotite if that was the plan 

2 hours ago, Sully28 said:

Well, it does make sense to do that. You could justify that you'd be hard pressed to find a player of Wilkerson's talent at 15, I know it's obviously been done, Wilk himself was like a 26th or 27th pick but it's a trade that could get fans excited and you may feel that nothing else left at 15 is worth passing on Mo. Still don't think it would happen but I'm sure Mac will make calls

Wilk comes with a massive salary... i personally think we would be lucky to get any first round pick for him.

Archived