Report: Rams Move to #1 Pick in Trade

CrazyCarl40

7 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think pre-draft, the floor for Manziel were the Cowboys in the main stream media, with everyone reporting how Jones was enamored with him, and how he fit the mold of Romo.  I actually think in that instance, the main stream media got over-hyped with it because Manziel was such a hot button topic that it helped discussions and provided content for them.  

There were a few "amateur" scouts around the web that dissected his play, and wanting no part of him just based on his talent level.  He got by in college, because A&M had a very good line, and athletes at the WR position (especially Evans, who helped erase a lot of mistakes) but his arm was weak and the system didn't translate.  His family is super rich, and I believe they hired a good PR firm, which elevated his status after the games were done.  He did everything right in the offseason, the whole helmet for pro-day, said all the right things, stayed out of trouble, etc, and teams bought in.  

I think Hackenbeg has a bit of Manziel backlash attached to him, because he took a nosedive once Allen Robinson left.  And many people consider Mike Evans to be a big reason why Manziel was very good in college.  So how much did Robinson help Hackenberg?  There is this iconic throw from his freshman year against Michigan, where he throws it up, and Robinson makes a great play on it (I think he steps out of bounds at the 1 or something),  The throw wasn't that great, it hangs up there longer than it needed, but Robinson high points the ball and takes it away from the Michigan DB underneath him.  How much of that goes to Hackenberg or Robinson?  I think when Manziel was in the draft, it sided more towards the QB, but now it might be slanted towards the WR.

When they were initially talking about the Cowboys taking him, though, I thought it was with the Cowboys maybe even trading up to take him. Then in real time he fell to them anyway, and they still passed on him. 

Truth be told, if he wasn't so unstable he probably could start for a number of teams (including the Jets). He did seem to have a bit of unteachable sixth sense and a feel for the game in some spots, even for someone with so little experience, and did seem to lift up the offense when he went in (despite everyone in the huddle probably despising him personally). Not definitely, but I don't think he was a Brooks Bollinger II talent. Sadly he'll piss it all away being a dumbass so we'll never know for sure. What a waste.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francesa is convinced the Rams traded up for Wentz.  Says he has a bigger upside but also a bigger downside ( "could be an A or could be a D") than Goff (who he says "is a B down the line"). 

I guess that means the Rams are taking Goff.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The same way "everyone" claimed to have known about Ryan Leaf...well after the fact.

Leaf was a genuinely good prospect with a lot of tools which looked ideal for the pro's. Just didn't work out. 

Manziel OTOH was a brilliant college player but anyone who thought that headless chicken act was gonna fly in the NFL was insane - When the top of your draft profile's strengths are "passing" and "competitiveness" you know something's f*cked. He wasn't super athletic and was undersized.  He had great pedigree, but that was achieved with the limited skill set which wasn't pro ready at all. Tebow was similar although even more obvious.

Hindsight obviously helps, I mean it's hilarious to wonder how guys like Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart were considered top prospects when they couldn't throw a pass beyond 10 yards in the NFL. A guy like Manziel was obvious (to me at least) before the draft and that wasn't even really focusing on the fact that he's also a mentalist. 

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Rams will put a rookie QB behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. He will have limited targets at the receiver spot. Stedman Bailey was shot, Wes Welker should retire, Kenny Brit flamed out, Tavon is a slot/gadget man and Brian Quick has not lived up to his physical attributes. Oh, and Jared Cook is now a Packer. 

I would take Santonio Holmes/Braylon Edwards duo over whatever the Rams decide to field. Minus Gurley, all the talent is on the defensive side of the ball and they just traded two years worth of draft picks to move up 14 spots to draft a QB that they now cant build around.

This is a bad trade if you ask me. 

You really only think its bad because its a given they will trade for Goff or Wentz when you want SOMEONE ANYONE to trade for your boy Glennon. Don't ya.  Your secret 's safe with us. ;)

7 minutes ago, Powpow said:

You really only think its bad because its a given they will trade for Goff or Wentz when you want SOMEONE ANYONE to trade for your boy Glennon. Don't ya.  Your secret 's safe with us. ;)

sh*t, if anything this will help my case. We know for sure that Goff/Wentz are going off the board at #1. If we can have another team make just a stupid deal and trade up to get the Browns spot then we'll really be in business. Then maybe the 49ers get desperate and take Lynch at 7 and the bears present a shocker and take Connor Cook at 11. That will leave the Jets with one option, trade that 3rd round pick to tampa baby! lol. 

Its all planned out as you can see! 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

sh*t, if anything this will help my case. We know for sure that Goff/Wentz are going off the board at #1. If we can have another team make just a stupid deal and trade up to get the Browns spot then we'll really be in business. Then maybe the 49ers get desperate and take Lynch at 7 and the bears present a shocker and take Connor Cook at 11. That will leave the Jets with one option, trade that 3rd round pick to tampa baby! lol. 

Or we'll sign Fitz

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Personally, I would take Glennon instead of trading all those picks they'd have to surrender to jump to 5 or 6 to grab Lynch.  It's what they'd have to do as Lynch would surely be taken by the Eagles or 49 er's.  And who's to say either of those teams wouldn't leapfrog the Jets and make a trade with the Cowboys at #4. Lynch and Glennon have very similar attributes and it wouldn't be a reach to say they have an equivalent ceiling. Mac just doesn't have the cards to play this poker game.  Going after Glennon is the least cost effective approach that could pay high dividends at a low risk.  If it doesn't then you bite the bullet and move forward.  At least its a solution based approach rather than signing scrubs like McGowan and Hoyer.        

23 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Personally, I would take Glennon instead of trading all those picks they'd have to surrender to jump to 5 or 6 to grab Lynch.  It's what they'd have to do as Lynch would surely be taken by the Eagles or 49 er's.  And who's to say either of those teams wouldn't leapfrog the Jets and make a trade with the Cowboys at #4. Lynch and Glennon have very similar attributes and it wouldn't be a reach to say they have an equivalent ceiling. Mac just doesn't have the cards to play this poker game.  Going after Glennon is the least cost effective approach that could pay high dividends at a low risk.  If it doesn't then you bite the bullet and move forward.  At least its a solution based approach rather than signing scrubs like McGowan and Hoyer.        

Didn't see your post before writing mine.

Agree 100%.... what idiots. Could have had Glennon with a 3rd, 2nd at worse.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When they were initially talking about the Cowboys taking him, though, I thought it was with the Cowboys maybe even trading up to take him. Then in real time he fell to them anyway, and they still passed on him. 

Truth be told, if he wasn't so unstable he probably could start for a number of teams (including the Jets). He did seem to have a bit of unteachable sixth sense and a feel for the game in some spots, even for someone with so little experience, and did seem to lift up the offense when he went in (despite everyone in the huddle probably despising him personally). Not definitely, but I don't think he was a Brooks Bollinger II talent. Sadly he'll piss it all away being a dumbass so we'll never know for sure. What a waste.

I think it was rumor that the Cowboys wanted him, but wisdom said they needed help on the O-Line.  Infact, if I remember correctly, people bashed the Zach Martin pick as a reach when it occurred, because everyone figured Manziel was the pick.  

I don't know about his talent though, because I think to be a good scrambling QB, you need to have good deep passing ability, and Manziel just didn't have the arm.  The more successful scrambling QBs such as Vick, Mcnabb, Cullpepper, Cam, and even Wilson were/are very good with the deep passes.  Infact, I think that is what makes Russel Wilson special, he seems to have very good accuracy on the deep passes.  To me, it's a matter of vertical spacing.  If you have good deep pass skills, teams have to pick and choose.  Either they bring up the defense to stop against a possible option run, or they stay back and risk the run.   For a weak armed QB like Manziel, they don't have to compromise, because they are daring him to throw over the top and beat them, and I don't think he has the arm talent to do it.  He's fine as an option QB, and if his arm were stronger, he'd be a much better prospect, but the limited arm strength really hurts him.  Teams move up their safeties and LBs, so if he runs, they can stop him, and he doesn't have the arm to go over the top.  Atleast to me, to be successful as a scrambling QB, you need to have the deep throw accuracy, and I'm not sure he has it in him.   

Ofcourse, it's a moot point because he's such a disaster off the field.  His life is set no matter what he does, so I really doubt he changes his ways either.  

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Rams should have just sent a 3rd to TB for Glennon!

Robbery..... Glennon more polished passer and at reading defenses and can start Day 1

Glennon's price just went up to a 2nd.

Didn't think of the repercussions that Ram/Titan trade has on Glennon.  The QB position is becoming cuckoo for coconuts. Perhaps a blockbuster trade with Bucs and Jets where we trade places at #9 and #20, they get Mo, we get Glennon and somebody please  finish this trade with the missing piece to make it equitable and realistic.

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

Didn't think of the repercussions that Ram/Titan trade has on Glennon.  The QB position is becoming cuckoo for coconuts. Perhaps a blockbuster trade with Bucs and Jets where we trade places at #9 and #20, they get Mo, we get Glennon and somebody please  finish this trade with the missing piece to make it equitable and realistic.

mccags doesn't want glennon.  nobody does.  teams either have a young guy to groom or a win-now veteran.  i will go on record as saying connor cook is better than glennon.  glennon is a career backup.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

mccags doesn't want glennon.  nobody does.  teams either have a young guy to groom or a win-now veteran.  i will go on record as saying connor cook is better than glennon.  glennon is a career backup.

It does appear to be he is not a fan of Glennon BUT I totally disagree.  Glennon is STILL in the GROOM window and has experience and has had some success.  Shame this kid has just been screwed by  the Bucs.  They are idiots.  Before its all said and done, Glennon will make his mark in the NFL. 

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

He reportedly contacted the Bucs about Glennon to see what they're looking for..... so there is interest.

The only question is to what degree. 3rd rd. pick, 2nd etc.

On April 15, 2016 at 5:59 AM, 32EBoozer said:

He reportedly contacted the Bucs about Glennon to see what they're looking for..... so there is interest.

The only question is to what degree. 3rd rd. pick, 2nd etc.

Tbh the only way to avoid next season being a huge step backwards is to trade for Glennon.  Fitz will be exposed with a tougher schedule.  

10 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Tbh the only way to avoid next season being a huge step backwards is to trade for Glennon.  Fitz will be exposed with a tougher schedule.  

Anyone know what type of system they ran in TB in 2014?

Wonder if it had any similarities to Chan's system

with this type of trade, even if the qb the rams pick winds up as, on average, the 15th best qb, that's a loss.  giving up this much you really need to assume you're getting a top 10 qb, b/c theoretically, any other team can sacrifice 2 drafts to get an average starter.  but then you look around the nfl and realize that there are at least 10 teams that should take that risk.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:24 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Rams should have just sent a 3rd to TB for Glennon!

Robbery..... Glennon more polished passer and at reading defenses and can start Day 1

Glennon's price just went up to a 2nd.

agree but cost is a factor in Glennons value;

Winston signed for 23.3m for 4 years, plus a potential 5th year option

Glennon is at the end of his rookie contract and will want to get paid potentially before he can prove he deserves it, starter money is 60-70m for 4 years :wacko:

the 20th pick last year signed for 9.3m, you have to be sure that's the franchise to trade up that far

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

agree but cost is a factor in Glennons value;

Winston signed for 23.3m for 4 years, plus a potential 5th year option

Glennon is at the end of his rookie contract and will want to get paid potentially before he can prove he deserves it, starter money is 60-70m for 4 years :wacko:

the 20th pick last year signed for 9.3m, you have to be sure that's the franchise to trade up that far

The Cap won't be an issue for us next yr. Glennon will be playing for a BIG payday. 

If he spits the bit it cost you a 2nd and maybe you can sign him cheap.

If he plays well, you try to sign him.... if not Tag him.

Can trade him or let him play under the tag while you try and work out a LT deal.

He's way ahead of Wentz in his development

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Cap won't be an issue for us next yr. Glennon will be playing for a BIG payday. 

If he spits the bit it cost you a 2nd and maybe you can sign him cheap.

If he plays well, you try to sign him.... if not Tag him.

Can trade him or let him play under the tag while you try and work out a LT deal.

He's way ahead of Wentz in his development

I know what you are saying but fear the Tannehill situation, good enough to pay but not good enough to get you there....

Considering how much the Texans paid Brock, someone will give Glennon a chance and pay him big next year, almost criminal that Tampa has not traded him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Glennon

Archived