Quarterbacks

Smo0v3mik3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foles, Keenum, McCarron and Glennon all represent lateral moves statistically. None of them is really going to give us marginally "better" play than Fitz did, but all of them (if acquired by trade) would represent investment. Investment = years lost waiting to see what we've got.

Not interested. Either draft a rookie in R1 and start him from D1, or sign Fitz and draft a developmental QB to throw in the mix with Petty.

The more I sniff around the options, the more I kind of like Dak Prescott. I think he's got the makeup to lead, just needs time to refine his skillset for the pro game... nothing I've seen indicates he wouldn't be able to do that. 

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Foles, Keenum, McCarron and Glennon all represent lateral moves statistically. None of them is really going to give us marginally "better" play than Fitz did, but all of them (if acquired by trade) would represent investment. Investment = years lost waiting to see what we've got.

Not interested. Either draft a rookie in R1 and start him from D1, or sign Fitz and draft a developmental QB to throw in the mix with Petty.

The more I sniff around the options, the more I kind of like Dak Prescott. I think he's got the makeup to lead, just needs time to refine his skillset for the pro game... nothing I've seen indicates he wouldn't be able to do that. 

I dont understand this at all and this is the problem with fans mentality in general. We didnt want to invest time into Geno Smith because of his rookie season and a 2nd season where he had no talent around him and it was known plain as day that Idzik was purging that team of bad contracts and talent.  

We scream all the time about how QB's need to develop yet when you have guys like AJ McCarron and Mike Glennon who have sat on the bench for most of their career we say that its a bad investment because we would have to invest "time" to find out what we have. 

Yet many fans would prefer to either pay Fitzpatrick millions upon millions of dollars per year, though it is proven that he's nothing more than a "stop gap" QB. Or fans would rather draft a QB just because of the notion of "franchise QB" though none of these rookies have played a down in the league, none of them have proven to be nothing more than rookies, and all we end up doing is tossing them to the side after two seasons (Geno Smith). 

Where in the bluehell is the logic in that? 

And for the record, im not saying that you think like this in its entirety specifically, im responding in more of a general fashion because I simply dont understand the "investment" thing when so many fans are willing to invest more years and large amounts of money to a glorified backup that has no potential for growth whatsoever. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I dont understand this at all and this is the problem with fans mentality in general. We didnt want to invest time into Geno Smith because of his rookie season and a 2nd season where he had no talent around him and it was known plain as day that Idzik was purging that team of bad contracts and talent.  

We scream all the time about how QB's need to develop yet when you have guys like AJ McCarron and Mike Glennon who have sat on the bench for most of their career we say that its a bad investment because we would have to invest "time" to find out what we have. 

Yet many fans would prefer to either pay Fitzpatrick millions upon millions of dollars per year, though it is proven that he's nothing more than a "stop gap" QB. Or fans would rather draft a QB just because of the notion of "franchise QB" though none of these rookies have played a down in the league, none of them have proven to be nothing more than rookies, and all we end up doing is tossing them to the side after two seasons (Geno Smith). 

Where in the bluehell is the logic in that? 

And for the record, im not saying that you think like this in its entirety specifically, im responding in more of a general fashion because I simply dont understand the "investment" thing when so many fans are willing to invest more years and large amounts of money to a glorified backup that has no potential for growth. 

Damn, that was easy.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Plus I hear he feels like he could take on the whole Empire himself.

29 minutes ago, Smo0v3mik3 said:

How does everyone feel on nick foles, kase Keenum, Mike Glennon, or AJ mcarron, being our starting quarterback!?? And is there any chance of trading for them?

Not sure if there's any chance trading for a guy like AJ McCarron. I feel like if Andy Dalton starts off slow McCarron could take the job over there. McCarron isnt going anywhere. I think Dalton has a more realistic chance of being traded at this point. Nick Foles is a mystery. That first year was just phenomenal....but even last year I didnt want him because he just doesnt give me the feeling like he could take over and be the franchise QB even after having that probowl season and being the MVP of the probowl. Case Keenum is coming from two organizations that desperately needs a QB (Hou/Rams) Houston let him go and the Rams just mortgaged this year and next years draft just to move up 14 spots to take a QB. That doesnt reflect well on Case Keenum. 

As for Mike Glennon, outside of AJ McCarron, Glennon is the only QB that has shown some promise and a skillset that looks like it could be worked with. Could he be the answer? Who knows? Would I prefer the Jets give up two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks over 2 seasons like the Rams did earlier today just to get Clevelands spot just to draft Goff/Wentz? No. Would I prefer the Jets give up a 3rd rounder for Glennon instead? Yea. 

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Would rather roll the dice drafting someone we like and developing them in our system from the start. Or Glennon would be the only other option from that list, just because Geno is really that bad.

Im not sure how bad Geno is in this new system, especially with a year in the system already. I think Geno is just a guy that is easy to dismiss...that has nothing to do with the facts though. 99% of what we know regarding Geno is based on another system under a different head coach under a different front office. 

Dont get me wrong, I'd take Glennon as well...I just think the overwhelming dismissal from fans is just emotions more than anything else. 

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not sure how bad Geno in this new system, especially with a year in the system already. I think Geno is just a guy that is easy to dismiss...that has nothing to do with the facts though. 99% of what we know regarding Geno is based on another system under a different head coach under a different front office. 

Dont get me wrong, I'd take Glennon as well...I just thing the overwhelming dismissal from fans is just emotions more than anything else. 

You make a good point and I agree that a lot of Geno hate is pure emotion. I don't hate Geno, I just think he's stupid. You can't teach stupid unfortunately. How much do I or any fan have to go from what we see on any player? Not much, it's limited in relative terms. We're not in meetings and practice. I could be wrong, and hey if could flourish in this system I'll support any Jet helping our team. 

Every person and player makes mistakes and should be given time to develop into their profession, but he's always looked so lost and had a piss poor attitude (one of the reasons most teams past on him). The whole $600/IK incident just proved not only that this guy wasn't a leader, but he's got his head up his ass. Franchise players should be uniting and inspiring the team, not dividing it. Plus, the reason he owed the money is even more embarrassing. Skipping a charity event, not paying what's owed after committing. This guy couldn't lead himself out of bounds in Oakland when he was half a cleat from the white line. Knocked himself out of his own chance to fight for the starting job.

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't even get this thread. Positing Glennon against Foles, Keenum, and McCarron is like asking if you'd rather have Ford back in office instead of Franklin Pierce and Millard Fillmore.

tumblr_l982lzoRZY1qdoghio1_500.png

I considered not posting this because some knucklehead doesn't know how to spell Pitt.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel kinda like Gollum when he fell into Mount Doom.

He died happy though.  I'd use that one if the Jets finally got the 100% guaranteed franchise QB in a draft and then I got hit by bus as I ran out on the street to celebrate.

54 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Jets should just cut the crap and bring back future HOFers Brett Ratliff and Matt Simms, and let the best man win.  Could then trade the one who loses the job for a few first rounders.

Ratliff does not come back unless Clowney comes as well.

21 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

You make a good point and I agree that a lot of Geno hate is pure emotion. I don't hate Geno, I just think he's stupid. You can't teach stupid unfortunately. How much do I or any fan have to go from what we see on any player? Not much, it's limited in relative terms. We're not in meetings and practice. I could be wrong, and hey if could flourish in this system I'll support any Jet helping our team. 

Every person and player makes mistakes and should be given time to develop into their profession, but he's always looked so lost and had a piss poor attitude (one of the reasons most teams past on him). The whole $600/IK incident just proved not only that this guy wasn't a leader, but he's got his head up his ass. Franchise players should be uniting and inspiring the team, not dividing it. Plus, the reason he owed the money is even more embarrassing. Skipping a charity event, not paying what's owed after committing. This guy couldn't lead himself out of bounds in Oakland when he was half a cleat from the white line. Knocked himself out of his own chance to fight for the starting job.

I think the stupidity remarks on Geno is one of the byproducts of what im talking about though. If you take Bill Parcells requirements of drafting a QB I think Geno hits on all of them outside of graduating college. I think he left early. Parcells says that you should get a QB that has been successful, having won atleast 23 college games. I think Geno won close to 30 games. 

The lastest thing now is him being stupid, and though I generally think there's more underlying to that (more of a societal thing), Geno had an above average score on his wonderlic and was always known as being a film junkie and even participated in chess tournaments as a kid. 

The term, "you cant teach stupid" is a easy way to dismiss. However, sometimes the students are simply a reflection of the teacher. So as I stated originally, having a guy like Chan, a teacher that has been proven, I think that Geno is in a situation where maybe he could show what he's actually capable of. His acumen may not be the best because jumping into the fire straight from college with Rex Ryan as your coach and John Idzik as your GM isnt really a conducive situation. 

Having an OC like Gailey and a coach that wont take crap but will be fair in Bowles and a GM in Macc that in one season put together a team with more talent overall than I can remember is a conducive situation for any QB.

Just saying someone is stupid may not be "hate" but its still a way to dismiss someone, especially when there's nothing to support it. 

Geno is not stupid he just has very poor awareness, football sense, and concentration lapses.  One of the biggest problems with Geno and Sanchez before him is not necessarily the mistakes they made but when and where they made them on a consistent basis.  Worst time and worst place were often the words uses to describe either of their brain fart plays.  Bad luck is part of it as well to be honest.  Some QB's are careless fumble the ball and it rolls to their olineman on the ground, with our duo it was a bad fumble scooped up by an opposing player on the run for a score.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think the stupidity remarks on Geno is one of the byproducts of what im talking about though. If you take Bill Parcells requirements of drafting a QB I think Geno hits on all of them outside of graduating college. I think he left early. Parcells says that you should get a QB that has been successful, having won atleast 23 college games. I think Geno won close to 30 games. 

The lastest thing now is him being stupid, and though I generally think there's more underlying to that (more of a societal thing), Geno had an above average score on his wonderlic and was always known as being a film junkie and even participated in chess tournaments as a kid. 

The term, "you cant teach stupid" is a easy way to dismiss. However, sometimes the students are simply a reflection of the teacher. So as I stated originally, having a guy like Chan, a teacher that has been proven, I think that Geno is in a situation where maybe he could show what he's actually capable of. His acumen may not be the best because jumping into the fire straight from college with Rex Ryan as your coach and John Idzik as your GM isnt really a conducive situation. 

Having an OC like Gailey and a coach that wont take crap but will be fair in Bowles and a GM in Macc that in one season put together a team with more talent overall than I can remember is a conducive situation for any QB.

Just saying someone is stupid may not be "hate" but its still a way to dismiss someone, especially when there's nothing to support it. 

Your overthinking it, when someone does lots of stupid things, people call them stupid

Those guys all suck. I'd rather die on a life raft named Geno and do it right next year - then waste any more fcking time with a-holes who are never going to lead a franchise.

Get the hell out of here - with all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Your overthinking it, when someone does lots of stupid things, people call them stupid

I dont think so. When you can look at that situation yet take none of it into consideration then I think its cool to shed light on it. I wouldnt call that over thinking it. Geno was in a poor position his first two years and he did some real bad things. but thats to be expected when you're deal with a young developing QB on a poor team overall.  

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont think so. When you can look at that situation yet take none of it into consideration then I think its cool to shed light on it. I wouldnt call that over thinking it. Geno was in a poor position his first two years and he did some real bad things. but thats to be expected when you're deal with a young developing QB. 

When someone gets KTFO over 600 when they are supposed to be a leader, that is stupid. Your overthinking it 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Geno is not stupid he just has very poor awareness, football sense, and concentration lapses.  One of the biggest problems with Geno and Sanchez before him is not necessarily the mistakes they made but when and where they made them on a consistent basis.  Worst time and worst place were often the words uses to describe either of their brain fart plays.  Bad luck is part of it as well to be honest.  Some QB's are careless fumble the ball and it rolls to their olineman on the ground, with our duo it was a bad fumble scooped up by an opposing player on the run for a score.

precisely.

Preferences 2016:

1. Fitz/Petty/Draft Pick -- Fitz resigned for BO-2 Years.  Petty-in-Waiting, Mid-Round Talent/Prospect in case Petty isn't the guy.

2. Fitz/High Draft Pick/Petty - Again, resign Fitz to start/hold fort for 1-2 years, High Pick to sit, then compete, Petty to compete, presumes team thinks Petty isn't the guy already.

3. Fitz/Glennon/Petty - Fitz risgned, Glennon aquired for no more than a 3rd round pick.  Fitz/Glennon compete, Petty reamains in development.

4. Petty/Geno/Draft Pick - If all else fails, start Petty (for better or worse), let Geno finish out as a #2, Draft someone, pray for 2017 and beyond.

Archived