Jump to content

Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah,so I guess we should trade up to the Browns spot again, just like back in 2009 when we got "this guy"? 

 

I mean, we just dont want to RISK letting this guy get away right?  lol, someone has hard feelings lol. jackass! 

lol, GaryVee... and what was his brother, SowellTrain?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why the **** would they need to move up to get him? 

Alot of these QB's are projects as its rare to have one in a Pro System.  I dare anyone that actually watched his Pro Day to say there is a better QB fit for this team. Check the below Vids....Th

#Foolsgold Last year at this time people were saying the same thing about this draft, bonered by the prospect of Cook, Cardale and Hackenberg. Currently none of them are projected to go in the 1st.

the jets will not have to trade up for lynch.  the question now is whether they want to groom him, cook, or just ignore qb position early in the draft and retool as many other positions as possible while bringing fitz back.  it's not a bad strategy but then you may well wind up like the rams have been where you have talent but can't get to the playoffs so you blow 2 drafts for 1 player.

i have a feeling the jets will wind up trading wilk to the titans for 2 2nd day picks, as that will be the best deal he can get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This fan base is so quarterback starved it's considering the merits of trading up and reaching or staying out and reaching. The answer to the Jets QB issues isn't going to be found in this draft. It's a really terrible class. And trading up for garbage only compounds the mistake. Draft BPA or trade down. Lots of holes on this team besides QB. Good thing Mac knows what he's doing. 

Wait, what?  You just lectured me on how the Jets are about to find a difference maker at QB.

lmfao

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, isired said:

I don't see it that way at all. If you're making an offer for #1, you have a specific one of the two QB'S in mind. If you like them both equally, you save some draft value and trade into #2. So they clearly prefer one of the QB'S, and are unlikely to trade up for the other IMO.

And if the guy they really like gets past the Rams?  That was my suggestion, if they made a pitch for #1 and the guy they want gets to cleve then it makes sense they will look intomoving to 2nd spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wait, what?  You just lectured me on how the Jets are about to find a difference maker at QB.

lmfao

They still can. Just probably not in this draft. Can still be had if they bring back Fitz or in a trade. It's not inconceivable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if it's been brought up already but the league hasn't invited Paxton Lynch to the draft to sit in the green room. It's highly speculative to call this player a first round pick, let alone someone to trade up for. 

it's not that I personally hate this player. In rd 2 he's a Geno Smith like value. But not in rd 1. He got smoked vs Navy and Auburn he's so ridiculously raw, he makes Bryce Petty look like  Johnny Unitas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit, I'm a little disheartened about the news that Macc tried to trade up to #1... I still believe to an extent that was more smoke than fire - but maybe not... And if not, it means he's shown his hand and that hand is presumably Goff or Wentz. I was really pulling for Lynch, and I kind of doubt Macc's the type of GM who settled for option B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't this guy at least last week predicted to be selected at end of the first round. He's not an elite prospect. And if we choose a Qb where does this leave Bryce Petty. Either concentrate on developing Petty if they believe he has the talent to eventually start or try to get rid of him. I don't keep both of them plus Geno who I assume will be gone in '17. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not sure if it's been brought up already but the league hasn't invited Paxton Lynch to the draft to sit in the green room. It's highly speculative to call this player a first round pick, let alone someone to trade up for. 

it's not that I personally hate this player. In rd 2 he's a Geno Smith like value. But not in rd 1. He got smoked vs Navy and Auburn he's so ridiculously raw, he makes Bryce Petty look like  Johnny Unitas. 

That's the point many are missing. They see the raw talent but they don't understand that drafting raw talent at QB and waiting for 2 years for the guy to develop is not something you do in the 1st round unless you are already a winning team with a good veteran QB.. I'd rather use our 1st on BPA and wait until the 2nd and take Cardale Jones and spend 2 years developing his raw skills. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know which QB the Jets like, but if they like one enough and can trade up to get him, based on the tea leaves, it seems they they're going to make a strong push to do so.  I'm all for this.  I'll keep repeating this until I'm blue in the face - keep hustling until you land a franchise QB.  Mediocre QB's don't consistently win in this league.  It's that simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

You may be right on this. It may be that the media is pushing it with Lynch, but based  on that video P.L. doesnt look like a 1st round talent to me. And that video was presented from a person who seems to be a Lynch supporter....so thats bad! lol. 

 You are mistaken.  I am definitely opposed to trading up for Lynch.  Not real happy if they take him at 20.   

I went to  watch that game  because, his arm strength in the Pro day video, considering the wind, was very impressive.  I wanted to see how he would play against a 13th ranked team.

 

What I saw was again a very strong arm.  A strong arm is more then just throwing a ball 60 yards in the air.  Which he did in the Pro day video, into the wind, and laid it on the money.  It is the ability to throw the 12 yard out, with out hanging it up for interception.  Very important play in the NFL, and difficult to defend.  Lynch did that several times  during the game.  The 35 yard TD pass into the front of the end zone, was a very impressive throw. Very accurate, with a lot of pop on it.  Made some very nice strong armed throws on the run.

Yes, they did use a lot of short passing game,  He did go down easier then a man that size should,  He also locked on his first read.  Of course there were negatives.   That's the reason I went to a Vs game instead of a high light tape.

I'm still opposed to trading up for him, but he did look better then I thought he was going to.  

I try to actually use my brain when analyzing these players.  It kind of shows a lack reasonableness to just stick to an opinion because I said it.  If evidence is presented, I'd like to think I have the ability to adjust my opinion to presented facts.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a hunch, but I think Macc tried to go to #1 for one specific guy.  Since the Rams trade, it was reported that the Jets may still be interested in moving up but it depended on who LA picked.  I think Macc was trying to go all in for Goff and not Wentz.  It's not saying that they don't like Wentz, there just isn't a lot of film on the guy.  Aside from going to ND state, he also missed half of last season in which his team went undefeated in his absence, he only played against one division I school, IA st, and he had zero TDs.

Macc scouted Goff the last two years.  He must have saw something in him he really liked.  If LA takes Wentz and Cleveland preferred Wentz, it wouldn't shock me if we moved up to get Goff.

if Goff is gone, I still think Lynch is a strong possibility and he should be.  The strength in this draft is DL, a positional we shouldn't be investing heavily in right now.  Even if we move MoWilk.  The top LT prospects will probably be gone and outside the top LBs, there are questions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Just a hunch, but I think Macc tried to go to #1 for one specific guy.  Since the Rams trade, it was reported that the Jets may still be interested in moving up but it depended on who LA picked.  I think Macc was trying to go all in for Goff and not Wentz.  It's not saying that they don't like Wentz, there just isn't a lot of film on the guy.  Aside from going to ND state, he also missed half of last season in which his team went undefeated in his absence, he only played against one division I school, IA st, and he had zero TDs.

Macc scouted Goff the last two years.  He must have saw something in him he really liked.  If LA takes Wentz and Cleveland preferred Wentz, it wouldn't shock me if we moved up to get Goff.

if Goff is gone, I still think Lynch is a strong possibility and he should be.  The strength in this draft is DL, a positional we shouldn't be investing heavily in right now.  Even if we move MoWilk.  The top LT prospects will probably be gone and outside the top LBs, there are questions. 

Agreed which is why goff visited. 

Would love to see their draft board  and where all the qbs are

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Isn't this guy at least last week predicted to be selected at end of the first round. He's not an elite prospect. And if we choose a Qb where does this leave Bryce Petty. Either concentrate on developing Petty if they believe he has the talent to eventually start or try to get rid of him. I don't keep both of them plus Geno who I assume will be gone in '17. 

IMO, if they drafted Lynch,and re-sign Fitz, it won't affect Petty, he and Lynch would compete for #2, and i believe Petty would win.

smith would move on

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

 You are mistaken.  I am definitely opposed to trading up for Lynch.  Not real happy if they take him at 20.   

I went to  watch that game  because, his arm strength in the Pro day video, considering the wind, was very impressive.  I wanted to see how he would play against a 13th ranked team.

 

What I saw was again a very strong arm.  A strong arm is more then just throwing a ball 60 yards in the air.  Which he did in the Pro day video, into the wind, and laid it on the money.  It is the ability to throw the 12 yard out, with out hanging it up for interception.  Very important play in the NFL, and difficult to defend.  Lynch did that several times  during the game.  The 35 yard TD pass into the front of the end zone, was a very impressive throw. Very accurate, with a lot of pop on it.  Made some very nice strong armed throws on the run.

Yes, they did use a lot of short passing game,  He did go down easier then a man that size should,  He also locked on his first read.  Of course there were negatives.   That's the reason I went to a Vs game instead of a high light tape.

I'm still opposed to trading up for him, but he did look better then I thought he was going to.  

I try to actually use my brain when analyzing these players.  It kind of shows a lack reasonableness to just stick to an opinion because I said it.  If evidence is presented, I'd like to think I have the ability to adjust my opinion to presented facts.

I understand. With video however, not only am I reconfirmed in my position not to trade up but if he's there at 20 I would pass. He had about 2 or 3 nice passes, but he reminds me alot of Bryce Petty. A one read and throw guy. And outside of those 3 nice throws, the rest of those throws werent very nice imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I have to admit, I'm a little disheartened about the news that Macc tried to trade up to #1... I still believe to an extent that was more smoke than fire - but maybe not... And if not, it means he's shown his hand and that hand is presumably Goff or Wentz. I was really pulling for Lynch, and I kind of doubt Macc's the type of GM who settled for option B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be disheartened.

I doubt that he tried to trade up to. It would have taken an as large or larger bounty than the Rams gave Tennessee for us to move up- even with Mo in the mix. I can't see Mac doing that for anyone in this draft. Mac has stated on more than one occasion that he would contact the 31 other teams in the draft, just to gage what it would take to move up or down to each position. Then on draft day, if he wants to make a move, he has an idea of where he stands. I believe this is what he did and once the media got a hold of that tidbit... well, you know what happens then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't be disheartened.

I doubt that he tried to trade up to. It would have taken an as large or larger bounty than the Rams gave Tennessee for us to move up- even with Mo in the mix. I can't see Mac doing that for anyone in this draft. Mac has stated on more than one occasion that he would contact the 31 other teams in the draft, just to gage what it would take to move up or down to each position. Then on draft day, if he wants to make a move, he has an idea of where he stands. I believe this is what he did and once the media got a hold of that tidbit... well, you know what happens then.

That's what I'm holding on to as well. If I was him I'd call #1,2,5,10,15 etc and pitch Mo and picks and see what the response is. Get a feel for what you're gonna be looking at on draft day

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I understand. With video however, not only am I reconfirmed in my position not to trade up but if he's there at 20 I would pass. He had about 2 or 3 nice passes, but he reminds me alot of Bryce Petty. A one read and throw guy. And outside of those 3 nice throws, the rest of those throws werent very nice imo. 

That's because he has a lot of similarities to Petty.  Strong arm, with a ton to learn before he can be considered an NFL QB.  

IMO both, with the right coaching, and atitude can develop into good QB's.  Petty was taken in the 4th.  IMO a steal.

People are talking about trading up in the 1st for Lynch.  Big difference

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That's because he has a lot of similarities to Petty.  Strong arm, with a ton to learn before he can be considered an NFL QB.  

IMO both, with the right coaching, and atitude can develop into good QB's.  Petty was taken in the 4th.  IMO a steal.

People are talking about trading up in the 1st for Lynch.  Big difference

Okay, Petty being taken in the 4th may have been a steal for  you, but taking Petty in the 1st would have been totally insane. I dont know who these people are talking about trading up for Lynch but Lynch doesnt seem like a 1st round talent to me to begin with. He seems like alot of hype. 

We'll have to see if he's actually the 3rd QB off the board and if he goes before 20...or in the first round in general. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynch is no more raw than Joe Flacco was coming out and has the same level of arm, only more athletic.

 

I didn’t like what I saw from Petty last year personally.  He showed the same sort of raw and erratic play as Simms.

Also go look at Baylor QB history, they all put up #’s.  Petty statistically was no better than Nick Florence before him.

Lynch is a much higher level of prospect imo.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Okay, Petty being taken in the 4th may have been a steal for  you, but taking Petty in the 1st would have been totally insane. I dont know who these people are talking about trading up for Lynch but Lynch doesnt seem like a 1st round talent to me to begin with. He seems like alot of hype. 

We'll have to see if he's actually the 3rd QB off the board and if he goes before 20...or in the first round in general. 

Got to agree with you here.

All the hype, for QB's with ?,  is that this QB class sucks.  The price that was paid for Goff/Wentz was insane.  Neither is a lock QB.

IMO if a guy like Lynch falls to the 3rd-4th, take a shot.   Probably not going to happen.  Somebody is going to get desperate, panic, and pull the trigger early.  Hope it's not the Jets.

If they take him mid round as a developmental QB who has a very good arm.  I'm good

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cosimojet said:

Lynch is no more raw than Joe Flacco was coming out and has the same level of arm, only more athletic. 

the difference is that Flacco went to the Senior Bowl and dominated. Wentz did the same this year. The last time everyone saw Lynch he was passing for 100 yards against Auburn. 

35 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

This is an interesting report and they compare him to Brock Osweiler. That's fair enough. Brock was a 2nd round pick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
This is an interesting report and they compare him to Brock Osweiler. That's fair enough. Brock was a 2nd round pick. 

You love painting things in favour of your own view hey? You rag on Lynch's auburn game yet fail to recognize all the stuff related to that game. Like the fact that Memphis' coaching staff didn't even GO to the game. When was the last time you watched that game - since you love to throw it around as a giant red flag? Tell me about the play calling in that one. Or the dropped TDs...Or anything.

I get on you about this stuff because you strut your view with such pomposity despite being wrong more often than not. It's never a "IMO" statement, but more or less the kind of smarm you hear from a car salesman eating a Big Mac.... Get a napkin.

Btw; anyone who compares Lynch to Brock is a lazy fool. Aside from their height, they couldn't have less in common.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

QB and a true pass rushing OLB/DE are the only positions I like taking in the first round based off of potential. Everyone wants their first round picks to start day 1, but those two positions are the ones that separate pretenders and contenders. I'm okay with rolling the dice on Lynch or Jaylon Smith (if Dr's say he can be back to 100% in 2017).

We're not winning the super bowl this year anyway and won't until we hit big on one of or both of those positions, mainly QB. If they believe Lynch or anyone else in 2017 is a franchise QB, get him. No draft pick is a lock anyway, regardless of espn/nfl network pundit "analysis." It's all guess work. 

Mac/Bowles know we're going nowhere without a QB, so I'm glad that they seem to be doing everything they can to find us one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You love painting things in favour of your own view hey? You rag on Lynch's auburn game yet fail to recognize all the stuff related to that game. Like the fact that Memphis' coaching staff didn't even GO to the game. When was the last time you watched that game - since you love to throw it around as a giant red flag? Tell me about the play calling in that one. Or the dropped TDs...Or anything.

I get on you about this stuff because you strut your view with such pomposity despite being wrong more often than not. It's never a "IMO" statement, but more or less the kind of smarm you hear from a car salesman eating a Big Mac.... Get a napkin.

Btw; anyone who compares Lynch to Brock is a lazy fool. Aside from their height, they couldn't have less in common.

it's not about whether or not I like Paxton Lynch. It's about whether he's worth a 20th overall pick (or higher). You seem to value him like a franchise QB. Which is your right. But if no one else values him like that, paying those prices would be foolishness. People compare him to Flacco, he didn't go 1 overall. He went where it was value to take him. The valuation of Lynch is my issue not the player himself. These excuses about how the play calling doomed him is like what a Hackenberg supporter would say. True or not, they don't add up to a first round value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
it's not about whether or not I like Paxton Lynch. It's about whether he's worth a 20th overall pick (or higher). You seem to value him like a franchise QB. Which is your right. But if no one else values him like that, paying those prices would be foolishness. People compare him to Flacco, he didn't go 1 overall. He went where it was value to take him. The valuation of Lynch is my issue not the player himself. These excuses about how the play calling doomed him is like what a Hackenberg supporter would say. True or not, they don't add up to a first round value. 

Let me put it this way, until you revisit that game and display any kind of insight, then shut up about it.

But rather than end on that note, let's have a wager. I'm telling you teams do view him as a franchise QB, and will select him before #20. Why? Cause he's smart, he's a student of the game and his upside is through the roof. The "raw" tag is 75% media driven. All QBs not named Luck are raw. You wanna talk about raw - Fcking Wentz was playing against High School talent. I'd make a second side wager that if both played 16 games as a rookie, Lynch would do better.

$100. Step up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Let me put it this way, until you revisit that game and display any kind of insight, then shut up about it.

But rather than end on that note, let's have a wager. I'm telling you teams do view him as a franchise QB, and will select him before #20. Why? Cause he's smart, he's a student of the game and his upside is through the roof. The "raw" tag is 75% media driven. All QBs not named Luck are raw. You wanna talk about raw - Fcking Wentz was playing against High School talent. I'd make a second side wager that if both played 16 games as a rookie, Lynch would do better.

$100. Step up.

I'm not really understanding the bet. is it if he goes higher than 20 or if he and Wentz both play 16 games as a rookie? or both? Note I won't do a bet where a person gets the money but I will donate to charity of choice. But these terms have to be ironed out clearly. 

Since you are such an expert, why hasn't the league invited Lynch to Chicago? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not really understanding the bet. is it if he goes higher than 20 or if he and Wentz both play 16 games as a rookie? or both? Note I won't do a bet where a person gets the money but I will donate to charity of choice. But these terms have to be ironed out clearly. 

Since you are such an expert, why hasn't the league invited Lynch to Chicago? 

They did. He's chosen to stay at home with family in Florida.

100$ that he is selected higher than 20. Charity is fine. SPCA is always my choice if I win. The other bet is a little too speculative at this time. If it looks as tho both will start for their respective franchises, we can revisit that one.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's the point many are missing. They see the raw talent but they don't understand that drafting raw talent at QB and waiting for 2 years for the guy to develop is not something you do in the 1st round unless you are already a winning team with a good veteran QB.. I'd rather use our 1st on BPA and wait until the 2nd and take Cardale Jones and spend 2 years developing his raw skills. 

 

Cardale Jones is ******* terrible.  He stepped in and won a national championship for Meyer and Meyer still did everything he could to keep this kid off the football field.

I remember one of his press conferences after a loss, Urban pretty much admitted that Jones didn't have the brains to run the full playbook and they weren't able to use him in the same capacity as  Barrett.  Hell JT got a DUI and the coaching staff still couldn't wait to usher this kid back onto the field instead of Jones.

Cardale Jones = Jamarcus Russell without the hype.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...