Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch

Shockwave

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

#Foolsgold

Last year at this time people were saying the same thing about this draft, bonered by the prospect of Cook, Cardale and Hackenberg. Currently none of them are projected to go in the 1st.

Agreed on this. There is no sure thing at qb heading into next year's draft. There are just guys that people project in top 10 because they always need 1 or 2 qbs in the top 10.

Tanking for watson would be a huge mistake.  He could be great he could be rg3. 

I actually like this year's qb class much better than next.  

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's not about whether or not I like Paxton Lynch. It's about whether he's worth a 20th overall pick (or higher). You seem to value him like a franchise QB. Which is your right. But if no one else values him like that, paying those prices would be foolishness. People compare him to Flacco, he didn't go 1 overall. He went where it was value to take him. The valuation of Lynch is my issue not the player himself. These excuses about how the play calling doomed him is like what a Hackenberg supporter would say. True or not, they don't add up to a first round value. 

I tried explaining this yesterday, about how no matter how much Baltimore liked Flacco and no matter how much they needed a QB, they still weren't taking him with the 8th pick in the freaking country. Not when they were probably 1 of only a few teams who had him as a top 15 prospect on their board, including those who'd already passed on him and those who wouldn't draft him in the first round or more just purely out of a lack of need.

I do think you over-value someone's play in his team's bowl game, or in the senior bowl, but accept we don't have 8 years of games on which to judge him. Didn't Peyton Manning have a pretty bad bowl game as a senior? About 130 yards on 30 attempts with a TD and a pick. And none of these guys are the prospect - nor will any have the career - of Peyton Manning. I know it's hard to evaluate, but I just think so much - too much - is put on one game's stats. Anyone can have an off day; doesn't mean his career is destined to be a series of off-days every Sunday. 

3 hours ago, King P said:

Jesus Christ, can we stop comparing every big Black QB that comes out to Jamarcus Russell!!!

Every year we get 1 Jamarcus Russell comparison. It was annoying at 1st, now it's completely aggravating

At least make it accurate, right? Like compare Tunsil to Jamarcus Russell instead. They're both 6 1/2 feet tall, black, are/were considered #1 overall pick talent, and both weigh 310 lbs. :) 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At least make it accurate, right? Like compare Tunsil to Jamarcus Russell instead. They're both 6 1/2 feet tall, black, are/were considered #1 overall pick talent, and both weigh 310 lbs. :) 

Sperm - I was thinking that you should do a special for JN where you videotape yourself watching a few snaps of a Jet game where you give your critique of the OL play.  I remember you said you are always behind during the actual game because  you rewatch the plays several times.  You should give us an in-depth analysis.

I'd like to see the same from Bitonti.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sperm - I was thinking that you should do a special for JN where you videotape yourself watching a few snaps of a Jet game where you give your critique of the OL play.  I remember you said you are always behind during the actual game because  you rewatch the plays several times.  You should give us an in-depth analysis.

I'd like to see the same from Bitonti.

LOL you want me to transcribe my play by play notes from one of the games? Granted it would be one of my shorter posts, but it would still take me a while to do it lol.

As far as a video...you don't want to see me on my couch in my Jets boxers watching a game. You just don't.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LOL you want me to transcribe my play by play notes from one of the games? Granted it would be one of my shorter posts, but it would still take me a while to do it lol.

You take hand written notes?  Savage!

I was thinking more along the lines of a YouTube video where you give us some in-depth analysis of the OL play (which is something I have very little understanding about).

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Geez - just noticed you get 10 reputation points per post on average.  How the eff is that possible?

58 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Just wondering.  Have you seen anyone else reporting it as a scoop except Tony Pauline?

A lot of folks have picked it up and run with it because it's a juicy story.  But I haven't haven't seen anyone credible verify it as a serious offer.

Macc has said he will contact every GM in the NFL for trade purposes.  For all we know he might have just thrown Mo and 20 out there just as a feeler.  

In all honesty I'm a bit skeptical about the "serious offer" end of this.  Particularly seeing what the ransom was that got the deal done.

If the Jets were going to leak something, I don't see why they would leak it to a low profile guy like Pauline  

JMO

fl I didn't read much into it to be honest I just liked what I saw from lynch didn't really want to get into the debate as to what the Jets actually did

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

You take hand written notes?  Savage!

I was thinking more along the lines of a YouTube video where you give us some in-depth analysis of the OL play (which is something I have very little understanding about).

When I'm watching the game I typically am on my ipad. If you can take notes quickly on a touch screen, power to you. I can't.

Plus constantly switching back & forth from JN in Safari to a Word/notes app is annoying even without also juggling the REW/FF buttons.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well that depends on whether or not it was just Mo and our 1st rounder, which I doubt. Maccagnan probably would have had to cough up something else (a 2nd rounder this year or next year, or whatever) to sweeten the offer. But yeah, that's the idea. Even if it was for ~#13 pick (J.Abraham) value, there isn't a team in the NFL giving that up for Mo even-up. If there was, the deal would have been done already instead of further leaks that the Jets "want a 1st round pick" for Mo.

The pick we got for Abraham. It was like five spots in the first plus a pick or two picks, in either case adding up to roughly the value of the Denver pick we got in 2006.

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The pick we got for Abraham. It was like five spots in the first plus a pick or two picks, in either case adding up to roughly the value of the Denver pick we got in 2006.

Ah, I see. So like, 29 or something. I don't see how that could be figured out, since Mo was surely part of the offer and it's anyone's guess how many "points" were applied to his value. But it's entertaining to speculate, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ah, I see. So like, 29 or something. I don't see how that could be figured out, since Mo was surely part of the offer and it's anyone's guess how many "points" were applied to his value. But it's entertaining to speculate, I guess.

You just count the points on the other side. 20 to 15 plus the pick or the two picks.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You just count the points on the other side. 20 to 15 plus the pick or the two picks.

Not following how this translates unless we know what else was offered, but maybe my mind is just elsewhere.  What I meant is, if we also threw in our 2nd rounder, or our 1st rounder next year, or whatever, those things would all change the points applied to Mo's value. We don't know what else - if anything - was offered, so we can't know how much Mo was worth. Unless it's just a guess that it was our pick #20 plus Mo and nothing else. Keep in mind I didn't see the post you were referring to, so I'm also at a disadvantage.

All I see is pick 1 = 3000 points, pick 20 = 850 points, so there's 2150 points needed to move up, which is basically the value of the #3 overall pick.

That's if there was even an offer placed in the first place, and this whole rumor isn't just a bunch of bull, of course.

Another thing about this kid, let it be noted that he was QB-ing behind an O-line that has guys who might end up bouncers at a titty bar but never will any of them see the inside of a pro football helmet unless it's at a Sports Bar on the fake trophy case 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I see this guy being the qb who keeps falling this year, right out of the first round.

With Hackenberg and Cook going ahead of him.

there is no way hackenberg goes ahead of lynch.  hackenberg would be a UDFA if he weren't highly recruited out of high school, his tape is that bad.  at least lynch looked good in the offense he ran.

i agree on cook, i think he's better than advertised, better than cousins out of MSU and if the worst thing about him is that he's cocky, well, i'll take that in a qb.  i have said numerous times on this forum i would not mind if the jets took him.  

54 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there is no way hackenberg goes ahead of lynch.  hackenberg would be a UDFA if he weren't highly recruited out of high school, his tape is that bad.  at least lynch looked good in the offense he ran.

i agree on cook, i think he's better than advertised, better than cousins out of MSU and if the worst thing about him is that he's cocky, well, i'll take that in a qb.  i have said numerous times on this forum i would not mind if the jets took him.  

He was the guy that I had been wanting since seeing highlights from his Junior year and thought he might jump ship to the pros, then wen he stayed I happened to see him play a bit and started to re-think my  initial assessment. The reason I like Lynch over Cook right now is because of the ball he throws that can actually cut through the swirling winds coming out of the swamps. Cook's passes a little too lofty and we have seen the type of QB (Chad) who can put up pretty decent completion % #'s but not a Championship-not the way the game is played today.

12 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Deshaun

Kelly

Kaaya

Falk

Mayfield

Ok.... how would you rank them throwing Goff, Wentz, Cook and Lynch in with them.

I'm curious to see if waiting for next year for our QB might be best while giving Petty another yr. to prove something to Mac/Bowles/Gailey

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok.... how would you rank them throwing Goff, Wentz, Cook and Lynch in with them.

I'm curious to see if waiting for next year for our QB might be best while giving Petty another yr. to prove something to Mac/Bowles/Gailey

How will Petty prove anything only playing a few preseason snaps with guys that wont even be on the roster come opening day.  

I think Lynch is going to go higher than most think. If the Jets want him they will have to move up around the 6th spot. I like Lynch but that might be a bit costly for my blood. I would have no problem moving up to 11 but any higher could be detrimental to the rest of our needs. I Like Lynch and wanted him from the beginning. I am not that high on Goff especially with the small hands. 

I just prefer a our QB have the measurables similar to Lynch, especially playing in the Northeast weather.

I know some will disagree about where Lynch will go but no way he makes it to 20.

20 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I think Lynch is going to go higher than most think. If the Jets want him they will have to move up around the 6th spot. I like Lynch but that might be a bit costly for my blood. I would have no problem moving up to 11 but any higher could be detrimental to the rest of our needs. I Like Lynch and wanted him from the beginning. I am not that high on Goff especially with the small hands. 

I just prefer a our QB have the measurables similar to Lynch, especially playing in the Northeast weather.

I know some will disagree about where Lynch will go but no way he makes it to 20.

i don't see why 'no way' he makes it to 20.  why not?  let's assume goff/wentz go 1/2.  i doubt SF takes lynch at 7.  chicago has way too many needs to take him at 11, especially if they can get a premiere defensive player.  who else, the bills?  i think lynch does make it to 20, and i think the jets will have a big decision to make if they don't trade up and somehow land goff or wentz.  

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't see why 'no way' he makes it to 20.  why not?  let's assume goff/wentz go 1/2.  i doubt SF takes lynch at 7.  chicago has way too many needs to take him at 11, especially if they can get a premiere defensive player.  who else, the bills?  i think lynch does make it to 20, and i think the jets will have a big decision to make if they don't trade up and somehow land goff or wentz.  

You may be right. We can re visit on draft day. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49er's,Saints or the Eagles grab him. Maybe even the Bills since they are having a dispute with Taylor.  It wouldn't surprise me if Lynch is off the board if the Jets took Cook either, if they are going QB or bust. 

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When I'm watching the game I typically am on my ipad. If you can take notes quickly on a touch screen, power to you. I can't.

Plus constantly switching back & forth from JN in Safari to a Word/notes app is annoying even without also juggling the REW/FF buttons.

My point wasn't even about the type of notes you take but rather that you take notes at all!   

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My point wasn't even about the type of notes you take but rather that you take notes at all!   

I don't always. Like if it's an expected pushover game (e.g. Clowns) I almost never do. Also if I'm commenting that much in the game thread it's like the same thing so I also don't. But yeah, I'd typically end up with a few pages of spermscribbling.

What makes it an even bigger waste of time is I don't usually save them (or I leave them out in the coffee table and Mrs. Sperm just throws them away like anything else I leave out that she deems unimportant, rendering such property and possessions unprotected from her compulsive tidiness). I can only find one from last year and it's only because it was in my desk drawer, for some unknown reason. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Deshaun

Kaaya

Goff

Kelly

Wentz

Lynch

Mayfield

Falk

Cook

Archived