Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch

Shockwave

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

there is no way hackenberg goes ahead of lynch.  hackenberg would be a UDFA if he weren't highly recruited out of high school, his tape is that bad.  at least lynch looked good in the offense he ran.

i agree on cook, i think he's better than advertised, better than cousins out of MSU and if the worst thing about him is that he's cocky, well, i'll take that in a qb.  i have said numerous times on this forum i would not mind if the jets took him.  

Take away the leadership issues Cook has and you still have a QB that is just not an accurate passer. He also had NFL talent around him.   Add the fact that his arm strength is "average at best" (per ProFootball Weekly) and you would be wasting a second round pick on someone whose ceiling would be back up/stop gap QB.  

Now there is always the chance that he has the drive to get on an NFL team and weight room program and improve his arm strength, develop leadership (he is still a kid basically so that is probable), and surprise everyone down the road.  He just hasn't shown any kind of growth in these areas the last few years.  

But to think any competent front office would take him over Lynch, who at 6'7, 240+, incredibly athletic, cannon of an arm, and completed almost 68% of his passes with garbage receivers and OL around him, I think is completely wrong.  

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If they felt that Petty was ready to play I doubt they would be willing to trade up to get QB.

I think if they had any confidence in Petty being ready within the next 2'years, they wouldn't have spent all the resources on scouting the top 6 QBs in this draft.  I think they drafted Petty because of his arm and athleticism but when he got into his first preseason game and had problems identifying the mike linebacker, they understood he is going to need more time than Fitz will be able to give them.  So they need someone sooner.  Not saying Petty is done, but he just needs more time.

56 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't always. Like if it's an expected pushover game (e.g. Clowns) I almost never do. Also if I'm commenting that much in the game thread it's like the same thing so I also don't. But yeah, I'd typically end up with a few pages of spermscribbling.

What makes it an even bigger waste of time is I don't usually save them (or I leave them out in the coffee table and Mrs. Sperm just throws them away like anything else I leave out that she deems unimportant, rendering such property and possessions unprotected from her compulsive tidiness). I can only find one from last year and it's only because it was in my desk drawer, for some unknown reason. 

Can you take a pic of it and post it here?  Would be interested to see what you wrote.

Btw, if you've taken things to that level, you should definitely try to be published on some football fan blog site. 

57 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't always. Like if it's an expected pushover game (e.g. Clowns) I almost never do. Also if I'm commenting that much in the game thread it's like the same thing so I also don't. But yeah, I'd typically end up with a few pages of spermscribbling.

What makes it an even bigger waste of time is I don't usually save them (or I leave them out in the coffee table and Mrs. Sperm just throws them away like anything else I leave out that she deems unimportant, rendering such property and possessions unprotected from her compulsive tidiness). I can only find one from last year and it's only because it was in my desk drawer, for some unknown reason. 

I find this interesting as well because every team in the NFL can beat any other team.  It's not like college where there can be great disparity.  Also bad teams sometimes have good OL/DL.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can you take a pic of it and post it here?  Would be interested to see what you wrote

You're not going to be able to read my chicken scratch. Maybe I'll transcribe when I can, assuming it's still there (I think it is because I just saw it not long ago). The rest, sadly (or not sadly, depending on one's POV), are gone. Maybe there's 1 or 2 older ones lurking in a nondescript pile of papers in a closet or something.

6 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I see this guy being the qb who keeps falling this year, right out of the first round.

With Hackenberg and Cook going ahead of him.

Lynch will be taken well ahead of our draft pick. If he somehow gets past the 7/8 pick he won't get passed the Bears who are working him out this week. Connor Cook will be a bust of a 2nd round pick an Hackenberg will be a bust 4th round pick. 

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I think Lynch is going to go higher than most think. If the Jets want him they will have to move up around the 6th spot. I like Lynch but that might be a bit costly for my blood. I would have no problem moving up to 11 but any higher could be detrimental to the rest of our needs. I Like Lynch and wanted him from the beginning. I am not that high on Goff especially with the small hands. 

I just prefer a our QB have the measurables similar to Lynch, especially playing in the Northeast weather.

I know some will disagree about where Lynch will go but no way he makes it to 20.

+1.  The guys a perfect fit for us. The question will be how much will it cost to move up? We will likely have to jump over 10 picks which could be expensive. 

15 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Another thing about this kid, let it be noted that he was QB-ing behind an O-line that has guys who might end up bouncers at a titty bar but never will any of them see the inside of a pro football helmet unless it's at a Sports Bar on the fake trophy case 

Great point. I see people making excuses for Hackenberg bc of his Oline. Im also seeing people discrediting Lynch bc he had to throw bubble screens and short passes. 

The Patriots passing game is all short throws. Our passing game has alot of short throws. Teams do this to slow down the pass rush and especially in the OL miss game which featured first round talent on the defensive line. Anyone notice the coincidence between our success this year and Fitzpatrick releasing the ball among the fastest in the league?

Lynch can hit those throws along with EVERY other throw an NFL team will need him to. He also was a RB at some point and will make plays with his feet as hes just a ridiculous athlete (Better vert/long jump then most RB/WR's).

Regarding longer throws the guy has no issues: Completed 54.6 percent on intermediate throws (11­ - 20 yards) and 44.9 percent on deep balls (21-plus yards) including 19 touchdowns and just two interceptions. Thats pretty damn good. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I find this interesting as well because every team in the NFL can beat any other team.  It's not like college where there can be great disparity.  Also bad teams sometimes have good OL/DL.

Yes, but I often don't bother. Also I don't if I'm at a bar watching the game.

Don't get too impressed (nobody else would). At least half of it is just play by play you could probably look up. e.g. "Ivory up the gut for 2. meh." Then there are things that don't get written in the play by play, like "dropped" rather than just "incomplete". So a lot of it is just that. I'm not on the team agonizing over every detail in the film room so there's plenty I leave out in the interest of finishing watching the game by its natural end time. Sometimes I'll skip over a series if it's that inconsequential, just because. It's not like I'm getting graded on it. Certain plays I rewind are the ones I comment on more, like missing a block, falling for a move, where else the QB could/should have thrown it, etc. that I don't always see the first go-around in real time. Really nothing special, as I just do it because it helps me remember the game better. Of course, now you've built it up to expect something. I'll dig it up, but expect disappointment lol.

If we really want Lynch, we're trading up to get him. If you think he's a FQB, you don't take a chance and hope he falls in your lap at 20. If Lynch is still they're at 20, we're not taking him because if he wasn't worth trading up for, we probably have other players rated higher. QB is the only position I feel this way about. Mac traded up a spot for Petty. If he really wants Lynch, he'll trade up for him too.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Hey, look at me. I'm Paxton Lynch and I covered all the games except Auburn, the biggest one!

That's my impression of Paxton Lynch.

Hey I'm Paxton Lynch and I'm going to end up possibly being a worse bust than Mariota.

That's my Paxton Lynch impression.

43 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Hey I'm Paxton Lynch and I'm going to end up possibly being a worse bust than Mariota.

Interesting....

NFL.com's scouting guy thinks Lynch's pro comparison is Mariota. 

Photo of Paxton Lynch

COMBINE RESULTS

GRADE
6.17?
  • 4.86 SEC
  • 36.0 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 118.0 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 7.14 SEC
BLUE STAR  =  COMBINE TOP PERFORMER

• 6'7"HEIGHT
  • 34 1/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 244LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 1/4"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Lynch was lost a bit in the recruiting process after sitting out half of his senior season due to a knee injury suffered in the preseason, allowing Memphis head coach Justin Fuente to nab the Florida product from the under the noses of in-state schools. He redshirted his first year on campus, but then stepped in to become a three-year starter for Fuente. Lynch went through some ups and downs in his first year as a starter, throwing nine touchdowns against 10 interceptions and completing just 58 percent of his passes for about 2,000 yards in 2013. He improved greatly as a sophomore, leading his team to a 10-win season and American Athletic Conference championship. He received second team All-AAC honors that season by completing 63 percent of his passes for 3,031 yards and 22 scores. Lynch exploded onto the national scene during his junior year, garnering a Manning Award finalist nod, first team All-ACC honors, and team MVP after leading the Tigers to an 8-0 start before the team struggled down the stretch losing to Navy, Houston, and Temple. During the team’s hot streak, Lynch beat SEC foe Ole Miss with a 39-for-53, 386-yard, three-touchdown performance. But the next time he faced a SEC defense, Auburn took him to task in the Birmingham Bowl, forcing him to complete just 16 of 37 pass attempts for a measly 106 yards and an interception. Despite finishing the season on a down note, the departure of Fuente for Virginia Tech and positive accolades received from the NFL scouting community led Lynch to take his talents to the next level.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Very tall, athletic body with ability to scan over the top. Elite foot quickness for a tall quarterback. Can maneuver quickly out of a busy pocket and away from trouble, but desires to keep passing option alive. Sets up in the pocket quickly and generally keeps feet "throw ready". More functional scrambler than "tuck and run" quarterback. Sacked just 15 times over 477 drop backs. Able to win with his feet when he needs to. Has a quick release to overcome his slight wind­-up. Has enough arm to drive the ball into restricted windows. Has enough arm to attack downfield while on the move. Makes good decisions. Rarely takes the cheese when cornerbacks try and bait him. Displays qualities of a field leader and isn't easy to rattle. Yards per attempt have exploded over his last two years. Can gain chunk yards as zone-read quarterback and will appeal to boot­-action teams. Will be challenging to defend in the red area. Took better care of the football cutting turnovers down from 16 last season to just four this year. Completed 54.6 percent on intermediate throws (11­20) and 44.9 percent on deep balls (21-plus yards) including 19 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

WEAKNESSES

Needs to improve ball placement for catch­-and­-run throws. Inability to throw with desired accuracy on the move forced him to leave yards and plays on the field. Must learn to better anticipate routes and stay ahead in the rep. Doesn't quite have the quickness through progressions that he will need in the pros. Has to learn to move defenders around with his eyes to open throwing lanes. At times, crowds targets against the sideline. Needs to stop babying play-­action passes and cut them loose. Consistency of arm strength has been overstated. Inconsistent weight transfer in delivery forces him to muscle some throws. Perimeter throws lack velocity and will nose­dive on him. His ball comes out with wobble and isn’t always the most catchable. Touch throws over inside linebackers needs work.

NFL COMPARISON

Marcus Mariota

BOTTOM LINE

While the hype around "dual threat" quarterbacks has subsided, Lynch possesses the size and athleticism to make NFL teams take a second look. Unlike other size/speed quarterbacks like Vince Young and Colin Kaepernick, Lynch prefers to extend passing plays with his feet rather than bolting from the pocket, but he is still likely to make plenty of plays with his feet over the long haul. Lynch shows the ability to read defenses and make smart decisions, but not yet at an NFL starting level. While he has the physical tools to start right away, a team who is willing to allow him to sit and study his craft for a year could reap maximum rewards in the future.

I like what I've seen from Lynch. Seems like a big physical yet mobile QB that can play in cold weather. I've also heard he will be raw coming into the league and will need some time to sit. We have a project QB with measurable a on our roster right now in petty and I have seen comparisons drawn to him and his timeline. Is there any validity to that or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a huge fan of any of the QB prospects. I'd be comfortable seeing us develop the team around the QB position and maybe have a rough year so we end up in a good position to trade into a QB and run a team in 2018 that is seriously competitive for the long haul. 

15 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

lynch is definitely a polarizing prospect, and if you draft him early you need to have a staff, plan and hope to develop him.  i have faith in mccags to make these decisions.

Ofcourse Lynch is polarizing only total dumbasses think he will be good in the NFL 

21 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'm not a huge fan of any of the QB prospects. I'd be comfortable seeing us develop the team around the QB position and maybe have a rough year so we end up in a good position to trade into a QB and run a team in 2018 that is seriously competitive for the long haul. 

People say that EVERY year. It gets old. Draft one every year even in the first round until you find one. In terms of Lynch I think he could start and play at least as well as JAG Fitz from day 1.

On 4/16/2016 at 6:47 PM, rex-n-effect said:

Well then, as long as YOU'RE comfortable.

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People say that EVERY year. It gets old. Draft one every year even in the first round until you find one. In terms of Lynch I think he could start and play at least as well as JAG Fitz from day 1.

It's a great theory if you find that good-performing rookie in the next year or two, but ultimately it's impractical and unrealistic. When a team drafts a QB in round 1 (or higher in round 2) he gets a shot, but that shot doesn't necessarily come in his rookie season. I take for granted that, if a QB isn't ready to go from day 1, the coach will bench him. The coach's #1 priority is to stay employed as an NFL HC, not to start a young/rookie QB from day 1, even if it's obvious to the team that he doesn't belong on the field yet.

While convenient for fans to say start him anyway, in practical terms you can't tell a roster of 50+ other players that their service and health risks are not for themselves or even for the betterment of the present team, but rather for the possible development of a rookie who (skill set and theoretical potential aside) presently may not even be the 2nd-best QB on the roster, let alone the best of the bunch. And this rookie QB who they're all supposed to rally behind and support? The team will move on from him in the upcoming draft and all those efforts/injuries of others will have been for nothing more than someone else's shot in the dark tryout.

All that "draft a 1st round QB every year and start him right away" points to is you think nobody on the team will know an NFL QB when they have one. The reality is they see a lot that we don't because of practices, drills, film studies, etc. It's only the fans that can't know anything about what a QB would do until he's on the field. 

22 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Ofcourse Lynch is polarizing only total dumbasses think he will be good in the NFL 

it's weird, but this cat and Goff are about the only 2 QBs I have no interest in  taking with a 1st round pick. By this cat I am speaking of Paxton Lynch

Archived