Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch

Shockwave

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All that "draft a 1st round QB every year and start him right away" points to is you think nobody on the team will know an NFL QB when they have one. The reality is they see a lot that we don't because of practices, drills, film studies, etc. It's only the fans that can't know anything about what a QB would do until he's on the field. 

This is good point, BUT for THIS year, the Jets coaches have now had a full year of assessing Petty and Smith, and based on what's happened (or not happened) so far, I think it's fair to say that based on what they've seen, they have no confidence in Petty or Smith to be the starting QB in 2016.  Furthermore, if the rumblings are true about the Jets trying to trade up in the first round, one would have to imagine that they might have their eye on a particular QB that they feel can be "the guy."  Time will tell.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a great theory if you find that good-performing rookie in the next year or two, but ultimately it's impractical and unrealistic. When a team drafts a QB in round 1 (or higher in round 2) he gets a shot, but that shot doesn't necessarily come in his rookie season. I take for granted that, if a QB isn't ready to go from day 1, the coach will bench him. The coach's #1 priority is to stay employed as an NFL HC, not to start a young/rookie QB from day 1, even if it's obvious to the team that he doesn't belong on the field yet.

While convenient for fans to say start him anyway, in practical terms you can't tell a roster of 50+ other players that their service and health risks are not for themselves or even for the betterment of the present team, but rather for the possible development of a rookie who (skill set and theoretical potential aside) presently may not even be the 2nd-best QB on the roster, let alone the best of the bunch. And this rookie QB who they're all supposed to rally behind and support? The team will move on from him in the upcoming draft and all those efforts/injuries of others will have been for nothing more than someone else's shot in the dark tryout.

All that "draft a 1st round QB every year and start him right away" points to is you think nobody on the team will know an NFL QB when they have one. The reality is they see a lot that we don't because of practices, drills, film studies, etc. It's only the fans that can't know anything about what a QB would do until he's on the field. 

Fair points, but QB is everything in the NFL. If you have a QB that has a 30% chance of being a franchise guy and a 30% chance of being a flop, and you are in position to get another guy like that, you take him in my opinion. At the end of the day it does not matter a bit what the veterans who do not want to play with a rookie QB, nor the HC (most of whom like Bowles will play a veteran to spite their face) think on the matter. A successful franchise over the long term is dependent on finding a franchise QB. Nothing else really matters unless you want to stay mediocre. In terms of the draft, a franchise QB is worth probably a couple of entire drafts alone in value.

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is good point, BUT for THIS year, the Jets coaches have now had a full year of assessing Petty and Smith, and based on what's happened (or not happened) so far, I think it's fair to say that based on what they've seen, they have no confidence in Petty or Smith to be the starting QB in 2016.  Furthermore, if the rumblings are true about the Jets trying to trade up in the first round, one would have to imagine that they might have their eye on a particular QB that they feel can be "the guy."  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Fair points, but QB is everything in the NFL. If you have a QB that has a 30% chance of being a franchise guy and a 30% chance of being a flop, and you are in position to get another guy like that, you take him in my opinion. At the end of the day it does not matter a bit what the veterans who do not want to play with a rookie QB, nor the HC (most of whom like Bowles will play a veteran to spite their face) think on the matter. A successful franchise over the long term is dependent on finding a franchise QB. Nothing else really matters unless you want to stay mediocre. In terms of the draft, a franchise QB is worth probably a couple of entire drafts alone in value.

I'm not arguing against the merits of drafting a QB, or even drafting one right now. More the idea of drafting someone and starting him right now so we could determine if we need to draft another one in round 1 next year. If he's a project or deemed to be so raw, then you're not going to get a career-long look at what he's going to be in his first exposure while he's unready to see an NFL field (let alone in week 1). 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not arguing against the merits of drafting a QB, or even drafting one right now. More the idea of drafting someone and starting him right now so we could determine if we need to draft another one in round 1 next year. If he's a project or deemed to be so raw, then you're not going to get a career-long look at what he's going to be in his first exposure while he's unready to see an NFL field (let alone in week 1). 

if the jets like lynch the logical move would be to use mo to get him and then use the cap space to bring back fitz for a year.  i like the idea of trading with chicago, swapping 1st rounders and getting chicago's 2nd rounder, that sounds like a fair deal that helps both teams.  chicago essentially gets 2 first round picks while the jets would get a qb and would have 3 more premium picks day 2 to address needs.  sign me up.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets like lynch the logical move would be to use mo to get him and then use the cap space to bring back fitz for a year.  i like the idea of trading with chicago, swapping 1st rounders and getting chicago's 2nd rounder, that sounds like a fair deal that helps both teams.  chicago essentially gets 2 first round picks while the jets would get a qb and would have 3 more premium picks day 2 to address needs.  sign me up.

Depends how much. The teams are - allegedly - some $9M/year apart (~$9M vs ~$18M) and it's doubtful Fitz is looking for that on only a 1 year deal anyway, after which he is a FA before the 2017 season (during which he turns 35).

I like that idea you outline IF we could get Fitzpatrick back at what he should be: the $7M range, and just to be done with it, maybe a hair more if it's only a 1 year deal. But if he's just a placeholder who doesn't make us winners or help us become winners with him on the field, then no way if it's even close to what he's seeking. Also sounds like he will be bitter the moment he's downgraded from starter to mentor anyway, so these ideas are great for fans but may prove unrealistic.

I think if it was that simple to get Fitz on board with such a deal, he'd already be signed.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a great theory if you find that good-performing rookie in the next year or two, but ultimately it's impractical and unrealistic. When a team drafts a QB in round 1 (or higher in round 2) he gets a shot, but that shot doesn't necessarily come in his rookie season. I take for granted that, if a QB isn't ready to go from day 1, the coach will bench him. The coach's #1 priority is to stay employed as an NFL HC, not to start a young/rookie QB from day 1, even if it's obvious to the team that he doesn't belong on the field yet.

AND THE PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA STAGGERS ON

According to Peter King this morning, LA traded up because they "didn't want to be the Jets"... Wasting a good Defense on a worthless qb and therefore never being good enough to go deep in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depends how much. The teams are - allegedly - some $9M/year apart (~$9M vs ~$18M) and it's doubtful Fitz is looking for that on only a 1 year deal anyway, after which he is a FA before the 2017 season (during which he turns 35).

I like that idea you outline IF we could get Fitzpatrick back at what he should be: the $7M range, and just to be done with it, maybe a hair more if it's only a 1 year deal. But if he's just a placeholder who doesn't make us winners or help us become winners with him on the field, then no way if it's even close to what he's seeking. Also sounds like he will be bitter the moment he's downgraded from starter to mentor anyway, so these ideas are great for fans but may prove unrealistic.

I think if it was that simple to get Fitz on board with such a deal, he'd already be signed.

after the draft fitz's position will be even worse than now.  he may only get a 1 year deal at this point.  

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

According to Peter King this morning, LA traded up because they "didn't want to be the Jets"... Wasting a good Defense on a worthless qb and therefore never being good enough to go deep in the playoffs.

And there you have it. We don't have a defense that will win a championship for us. We don't have an elite pass rusher. Franchise QB literally upgrades every position. Takes pressure off anyone else if youre scoring points

There was some talk earlier in this thread about Cardale Jones. Saw this interesting article but didn't feel like it deserves it's own thread: 

Urban Meyer had to diss Cardale Jones to pump his draft stock

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY:

logo-fox-sports

Cardale Jones’ draft stock took a hit after he lost his starting spot at Ohio State for his junior year, but the national champion is one of many Buckeyes expected to go relatively early in the 2016 NFL Draft.

In an interview with the Akron Beacon Journal, former coach Urban Meyer evaluated Jones as an overall player, and speculated that the college environment may have held Jones back.

“His size is obviously a 10 as far as what he’s able to do with that big body, athleticism. Arm strength is a 9, pretty close to a 10. Accuracy is something that’s got to continue to improve, that’s probably an 8. Believe it or not, knowledge of the game and knowledge of coverages is pretty high, an 8,” Meyer told the newspaper. “A really good skill set, intellectual, very smart, wasn’t necessarily very good at school. I wonder if that kind of set him back a little bit. That’s one difference between pro and college -€” now he doesn’t have to worry about classes and going to school and all that stuff. He can focus completely on football.

Jones, who is never afraid of sharing his opinions on Twitter, famously tweeted that he didn’t come to Ohio State “to play school.”

Meyer also said that he isn’t sure Cleveland would be a good place for Jones to land. Browns fans started a #FailForCardale movement last year calling for the team to draft Jones.

“I don’t know. I’d probably have to digest that, talk to him about it,” Meyer said. “I’ve had a lot of experience over the years where guys do better when they get away and I’ve had some guys that should have went away and they didn’t and there’s too many people involved. I’m not ready to answer that one yet.”

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

AND THE PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA STAGGERS ON

I have no idea what you're talking about. The biggest pussification of the Jets move would be in re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick for 2 years to hopefully eke out a 9 win season over the fear of a 5 win season (which wouldn't happen in his absence anyway). Just being realistic with who our HC is. Bowles does not seem the type to bench known veterans in favor of raw rookies.

A less-polished rookie QB will ride the pine unless Maccagnan gives Bowles no other options (or a decree from on high). But if he does, then I get to read 6 years of how the Jets ruined some bust, who surely would have been Aaron Rodgers II if only we were smart enough to hand him 1-3 years of clipboard holding duties.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. The biggest pussification of the Jets move would be in re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick for 2 years to hopefully eke out a 9 win season over the fear of a 5 win season (which wouldn't happen in his absence anyway). Just being realistic with who our HC is. Bowles does not seem the type to bench known veterans in favor of raw rookies.

A less-polished rookie QB will ride the pine unless Maccagnan gives Bowles no other options (or a decree from on high). But if he does, then I get to read 6 years of how the Jets ruined some bust, who surely would have been Aaron Rodgers II if only we were smart enough to hand him 1-3 years of clipboard holding duties.

Draft 7 quarterbacks per year. One for every round. Restructure training camp for quarterbacks to reflect the plot of Battle Royale.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

What a prick that guy is as if the Jets were the 1st team ever to be in that position and as if the Rams had not already been down that road the last few years.  Not to mention the Broncos just won the SB with really sh*tty Qb play.  Not to mention the Jets DID traded up high for a QB when they had a good defense.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What a prick that guy is as if the Jets were the 1st team ever to be in that position and as if the Rams had not already been down that road the last few years.  Not to mention the Broncos just won the SB with really sh*tty Qb play.  Not to mention the Jets DID traded up high for a QB when they had a good defense.

Agreed. Peter King is a jack*ss.  He's a bitter old windbag that can't come to grips with the fact that Schefter eats his lunch on a daily basis.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, flgreen said:

IMO, if they drafted Lynch,and re-sign Fitz, it won't affect Petty, he and Lynch would compete for #2, and i believe Petty would win.

smith would move on

That's the way I see it, and is why I hope the Jets use a high pick in the draft to go Qb.  I get all the hope that Petty turns out well, but imo there is not enough indication that he will to rely on him.  And forget about Smith.  So, with either Fitzpatrick, Hoyer or some other vet starting, the logical thing to do is have Petty and perhaps Lynch duke it out not only leading into Opening Day but over the next couple of seasons until the team can get an idea if one or the other can become a quality starter.

If the Jets really do go after Lynch or any other Qb in the 1st round it could mean a trip to somewhere for Geno Smith. Unless they don't sign Fitz or a different vet Qb. It is hard to really know the plans of Mac and the FO. The idea that they tried to trade up for the overall one if true comes as a big surprise. But you'd think there would be somewhat of a market for Geno esp with him not making that much money in 2016. 

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

If we trade up for a QB I hope they do not play this season.  Sit back and learn as much as you can.   This goes against my passion of wanting the rookie to start and light it up!

Other teams do it why not the Jets?  What we been doing here for the last 47 years isn't working, 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Other teams do it why not the Jets?  What we been doing here for the last 47 years isn't working, 

well the jets did trade up for sanchez but i get your point.  problem is the browns will want more from the jets even after they throw in wilk.  

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

well the jets did trade up for sanchez but i get your point.  problem is the browns will want more from the jets even after they throw in wilk.  

I don't see the Browns being overly interested in Mo to be honest - they seem to be willing to burn it down to the ground (not a big job ;-)) and rebuild completely. I think they want picks over players.

58 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Then if the QB the organization wants requires you to trade multiple picks and players you have to do it.  Why the hell not.

My gut tells me they really want Connor Cook and not Goff,Wentz or Lynch. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Then if the QB the organization wants requires you to trade multiple picks and players you have to do it.  Why the hell not.

My gut tells me they really want Connor Cook and not Goff,Wentz or Lynch. 

Are you good with that?

@JoshNorris 

The #49ers are in prime trade down territory if the Jets want a QB. Move to 20, get one of these WRs.

image.tiff

@RapSheet 

The #Browns had a predraft visit with #Memphis QB Paxton Lynch on March 28. With pick No. 8, he'll be under consideration there.

It looks like the entire next week we are going to be hearing about the Browns/Lynch connection and as mentioned earlier it looks like the Hot spot will be the Jaguars/Niners draft spots.  

Could the Browns be pulling a Joe Flacco/Ravens move by moving back but still getting their guy? Sure looks like it right now. 

It's really hard to tell what they will do. So far the spin says they might draft a Qb high and that they tried to trade up to 1 or 2. Do they have a higher grade on Lynch than they do Petty after he has spent a year in their system. So this is total confusion coming from our org which is confounding to us but very very good. 

Archived