Goff or Wentz?

JohnnyLV

Since the Jets did try to get the #1 pick, they are high on 1 or both of these guys. What are the thoughts on who it is? It seems based on some articles I read that Goffr is likely the guy for LA. So for the Jets, If it is Wentz then we could see a trade to #2 possibly if Cleveland is not sold.on a QB or possibly at 4 if that rumor about Dallas and Mo was true. Also brings into play Laremy as he could fall to 6 ish and might be worrth going and getting the LT of our future, but I think if we do trade up then it is for Wentz, The Jets did schedule Goff but that could be to disguise their interest in Wentz.

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Jet in PA said:

If LA drafts Wentz I'm going to be screaming for a trade up. I'm just worried we'll have to give up the house to get there. 20-2 is roughly the same jump as 15-1 that LA had.

Not happening, for the reasons you gave. TOO many other needs.

Wentz/Lynch are boom/bust guys with 15 year NFL Franchise QB upside. 

Goff seems more NFL ready with a much higher floor yet much lower ceiling. I hate to repeat what others have said about him but its too perfect. The guy is going to be a poor mans Matt Ryan. 

I believe Goff will play much better in a dome as he floats his long passes. With a dome(I believe) on the horizon in LA and the need for someone to play immediately/Sell tickets it seems like Goff is the perfect for fit LA. Plus where did goff go to school?

one of you guys had posted Big Mac himself visiting one of Goff's games ... In addition to the visit with us ... Don't think our interest in him is a smokescreen.

Mo would have to be involved in the move up.

more dots seem to connect him to LA at 1 than Wentz though as Shockwave states above

46 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Wentz/Lynch are boom/bust guys with 15 year NFL Franchise QB upside. 

Goff seems more NFL ready with a much higher floor yet much lower ceiling. I hate to repeat what others have said about him but its too perfect. The guy is going to be a poor mans Matt Ryan. 

I believe Goff will play much better in a dome as he floats his long passes. With a dome(I believe) on the horizon in LA and the need for someone to play immediately/Sell tickets it seems like Goff is the perfect for fit LA. Plus where did goff go to school?

The whole city of Los Angeles should be put under a dome.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Since the Jets did try to get the #1 pick, they are high on 1 or both of these guys. What are the thoughts on who it is? It seems based on some articles I read that Goffr is likely the guy for LA. So for the Jets, If it is Wentz then we could see a trade to #2 possibly if Cleveland is not sold.on a QB or possibly at 4 if that rumor about Dallas and Mo was true. Also brings into play Laremy as he could fall to 6 ish and might be worrth going and getting the LT of our future, but I think if we do trade up then it is for Wentz, The Jets did schedule Goff but that could be to disguise their interest in Wentz.

Thoughts?

Besides Tony Pauline trying to get some relevance, what makes you think the Jets tried to trade up to #1?   Do you really think "Come Back To NY" is the only one who would have this story?

that's like, " the 5th terminator movie or the the harry potter movie about the order of the whatever"

I still think everybody is talking themselves into thinking these guys are any good.  if it wasn't for the scarcity of good QB's, on merit alone, I think neither guy is a top 20 pick

I prefer to gamble on development, over flaws. I prefer Wentz and Lynch more so than Goff - largely because the latter showed a tendency to make a lot of poor decisions.  Regardless, I'm just not buying the "serious" offer. Pauline's the ONLY one reporting that. Could have been Mac testing the waters to see value difference between picks #1 & #10....

The quickest way to get fired as a GM is to mortgage your entire franchise to move up 20 picks and take some FCS qb who doesn't pan out.

that'll get your seat warm faster than a breakfast burrito. 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I prefer to gamble on development, over flaws. I prefer Wentz and Lynch more so than Goff - largely because the latter showed a tendency to make a lot of poor decisions.  Regardless, I'm just not buying the "serious" offer. Pauline's the ONLY one reporting that. Could have been Mac testing the waters to see value difference between picks #1 & #10....

The quickest way to get fired as a GM is to mortgage your entire franchise to move up 20 picks and take some FCS qb who doesn't pan out.

that'll get your seat warm faster than a breakfast burrito. 

I can confirm the jets offer was reported by others well before Pauline reported it. It was one of the basis for the thread : "Expect the Jets to move up for Lynch thread" and I mentioned it in the first post well before Pauline said it. I think 2-3 different reporters mentioned it in minor news when announcing the Rams/Titans deal. Sorry I can't find the exact tweet but I'm guessing Pauline saw those tweets and simply got confirmation via whatever minor source he has. 

IMO I think its pretty legit bc Mac wants Mo gone and he's floating offers to move up for a QB with him since teams are so hesitant to move high draft picks for players. Just another way to get value for Mo. 

Just now, Shockwave said:

I can confirm the jets offer was reported by others well before Pauline reported it. It was one of the basis for the thread : "Expect the Jets to move up for Lynch thread". I think 2-3 different reporters mentioned it in minor news when announcing the Rams/Titans deal. Sorry I can't find the exact tweet but I'm guessing Pauline saw those tweets and simply got confirmation via whatever minor source he has. 

IMO I think its pretty legit bc Mac wants Mo gone and he's floating offers to move up for a QB with him since teams are so hesitant to move high draft picks for players. Just another way to get value for Mo. 

I don't think it was BS that he called and threw a package together to gauge interest... that was reported by multiple people.. but the narrative that the Jets were this close to making the deal, i've only read that based his report. Maybe it's true, but I'm not sold. Based on what i've seen - Macc works the entire first round; checks all the big prospects out, gauges trade interest, etc. Maybe his agenda simply reads "Get a QB"... and so he started at the top, and will now work his way down.

Above all, i'd be shocked if he was willing to stake his rep and job on something more than just Mo + #20.. and maybe some other picks.. the kind of deal LA put together is either a career maker or breaker for a GM. 

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Besides Tony Pauline trying to get some relevance, what makes you think the Jets tried to trade up to #1?   Do you really think "Come Back To NY" is the only one who would have this story?

What is Come Back To NY?  Is that  like a homosexual NFL fan blog?

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I don't think it's close.   Wentz is a franchise QB.   He will be an all pro.  Goff will be ok but he might not be the 4th best QB in this class. 

Wentz is the best Qb in this draft class.  Just cuz fatcessa said it doesn't mean it's wrong

Just guessing nut Tony probably has an long time employee as his "snitch."  He has accurately predicted several things over the last several years pertaining to the Jets.  Last year in February, he stated that the Jets were very interested in Carpenter, quite a while before we signed him.

so if said the Jets tried to move up to #1, I believe him.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't think it was BS that he called and threw a package together to gauge interest... that was reported by multiple people.. but the narrative that the Jets were this close to making the deal, i've only read that based his report. Maybe it's true, but I'm not sold. Based on what i've seen - Macc works the entire first round; checks all the big prospects out, gauges trade interest, etc. Maybe his agenda simply reads "Get a QB"... and so he started at the top, and will now work his way down.

Above all, i'd be shocked if he was willing to stake his rep and job on something more than just Mo + #20.. and maybe some other picks.. the kind of deal LA put together is either a career maker or breaker for a GM. 

Yea that makes more sense. 

I wouldn't discount him being aggressive with a QB sooner or later. He's a smart guy and knows sooner or later his job will be determined based on drafting a QB. He sent 6 people to Mariota's workout last year so I'm assuming he's very serious about grabbing one sooner then later. 

Were a very old team with no long term answer at QB. Lets say we DONT draft a QB high this year. Would it shock anyone if we had a poor season (6-10?). Would it shock anyone to see Fitzpatrick sign elsewhere or not be as successful this year? Revis, Harris, Mangold, and old and can take a step back. If we have that type of year theres going to be A-lot of pressure on us to win next year or he could easily be getting the idzik treatment. In that scenario which is not THAT far fetched he would be forced to draft a QB next year and ride with him as a rookie with his job riding on a rookie. 

Its a very dangerous place for a GM. Thats why many will draft one early in their second season as the first season is kind of finding your needs and what you have. This is Mac's second season. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago jumps on a QB as any smart GM will move on from Jay Cutler ASAP. I also would expect John Elway to be very aggressive if Lynch is within striking distance. He loves big QB's with big arms. Lastly Buffalo seems not to want to pay Tyrod Taylor and has no problem jumping up in the draft as you saw with Sammy Watkins. 

So I do think Mac will be aggressive if Lynch is his guy. But I surely  think he's going to have to be.  With most people expecting Goff/Wentz to go 1/2 that leaves ALOT of teams that are going to fight for the other first round QB. Any time you have one last player thats in a teir people will try to jump up to grab him. 

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

Just guessing nut Tony probably has an long time employee as his "snitch."  He has accurately predicted several things over the last several years pertaining to the Jets.  Last year in February, he stated that the Jets were very interested in Carpenter, quite a while before we signed him.

so if said the Jets tried to move up to #1, I believe him.

The NY Slimes is biased. 

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Yea that makes more sense. 

I wouldn't discount him being aggressive with a QB sooner or later. He's a smart guy and knows sooner or later his job will be determined based on drafting a QB. He sent 6 people to Mariota's workout last year so I'm assuming he's very serious about grabbing one sooner then later. 

Were a very old team with no long term answer at QB. Lets say we DONT draft a QB high this year. Would it shock anyone if we had a poor season (6-10?). Would it shock anyone to see Fitzpatrick sign elsewhere or not be as successful this year? Revis, Harris, Mangold, and old and can take a step back. If we have that type of year theres going to be A-lot of pressure on us to win next year or he could easily be getting the idzik treatment. In that scenario which is not THAT far fetched he would be forced to draft a QB next year and ride with him as a rookie with his job riding on a rookie. 

Its a very dangerous place for a GM. Thats why many will draft one early in their second season as the first season is kind of finding your needs and what you have. This is Mac's second season. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago jumps on a QB as any smart GM will move on from Jay Cutler ASAP. I also would expect John Elway to be very aggressive if Lynch is within striking distance. He loves big QB's with big arms. Lastly Buffalo seems not to want to pay Tyrod Taylor and has no problem jumping up in the draft as you saw with Sammy Watkins. 

So I do think Mac will be aggressive if Lynch is his guy. But I surely  think he's going to have to be.  With most people expecting Goff/Wentz to go 1/2 that leaves ALOT of teams that are going to fight for the other first round QB. Any time you have one last player thats in a teir people will try to jump up to grab him. 

Oh, I agree. I think it's 10000% certainty Mac is going to try to move up for a QB... I get the sense that this regime knows they can't head into 2017 with a regressed Fitz and only Petty under contract. They need to find the solution today... this year. They tried last year, didn't happen, but I think (and hope) they'll make Lynch a Jet

Archived