Hoyer Is Now A Free Agent

KRL

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1st of all Fitz doesnt want 9 mil, he wants more like 18mil.  Even if you get him for 14-15 mil thats an extra 10mil.  Im sure we can find a use for 10 million dollars.  

Not fighting you there. However, Im thinking he gets 10tops tho, regardless of what he "wants"

Hi guys, I am new to th forum. Just wanted to say I'm a big Jet fan and have enjoyed reading a lot of your topics before I joined up. It is amazing all this debate going on for mediocre QBs like Fitz and Hoyer. My fondest wish is the team believes Goff or Wentz is the guy and they can use Mo in a trade with picks to move up and get their guy. I would be then fine with signing Hoyer cheaper then Fitz. We might never have this opportunity again for awhile to get a young QB. We never seem to be bad enough at the right time. So Hoyer, Goff and Petty going into next season is fine with me.

4 minutes ago, MadMikeyG said:

Hi guys, I am new to th forum. Just wanted to say I'm a big Jet fan and have enjoyed reading a lot of your topics before I joined up. It is amazing all this debate going on for mediocre QBs like Fitz and Hoyer. My fondest wish is the team believes Goff or Wentz is the guy and they can use Mo in a trade with picks to move up and get their guy. I would be then fine with signing Hoyer cheaper then Fitz. We might never have this opportunity again for awhile to get a young QB. We never seem to be bad enough at the right time. So Hoyer, Goff and Petty going into next season is fine with me.

Welcome!  Makes sense (you may have trouble fitting in around here).

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

That's it right there.

Hoyer has a winning record with the friggn' Browns and Texans.

Not to mention playoff experience.

This should be a no-brainier for the Jets.

Yep his 0 tds and 4 picks in the playoffs is admirable but his 19 tds with 7 picks in 9 games last year was his best..:)

Texans release Brian Hoyer, per report. Will Jets sign him?

Brian Hoyer
Brian Hoyer to the Jets? (AP Photo | Gary Landers)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on April 17, 2016 at 5:05 PM, updated April 17, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Former Texans starting quarterback Brian Hoyer, who was replaced by recent big-money free agent acquisition Brock Osweiler, has been released and is now a free agent, according to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport.  

Now, the big Jets-related questions become: Will they sign him? Should they? 

The Jets' incumbent starting quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick, remains a free agent, and is in a contract negotiating stalemate with the Jets.

He might not return in 2016. The Jets aren't offering him what he wants. But his options elsewhere are limited/nonexistent. Hoyer now being a free agent could put some pressure on Fitzpatrick to make a decision about the Jets' offer to him

It would've made little sense for the Jets to trade for Hoyer. They have just six picks in this year's draft — the same number as they had before recently trading for left tackle Ryan Clady. (They now have one pick in Rounds 1-4, and two in Round 7.) 

Plus, Hoyer isn't really good enough to warrant a trade. And it seemed, all along, that he was going to be released anyway. (Earlier this month, Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported that Hoyer was a fallback option for the Jets, if they couldn't re-sign Fitzpatrick.) 

Hoyer, who turns 31 in October, received interest from the Jets last offseason before they traded for Fitzpatrick.

Hoyer actually had a pretty decent one season in Houston. He signed with the Texans last offseason. Hoyer's quarterback rating was 91.4 in 2015, compared to 88.0 for Fitzpatrick. 

Of course, Hoyer's 2015 season ended with a dud, as he threw zero touchdowns and four interceptions in a 30-0 wild card round loss to the Chiefs. 

Grading Jets' 1st-round picks in Woody era

Grading Jets' 1st-round picks in Woody era

He has owned the Jets since 2000.

Hoyer has started 26 career games, including nine last season with Houston and 13 the year before with Cleveland. 

He is not the Jets' quarterback of the future. That much is clear. But neither is the 33-year-old Fitzpatrick or (apparently) his backup last season, Geno Smith.

But at this point, the Jets must figure out what they'll do in 2016 if Fitzpatrick doesn't re-sign. Might Hoyer be a legitimate option, at a reasonable price? 

The Broncos also have an unsettled quarterback situation, even though they traded for ex-Jet Mark Sanchez, so they could be in the hunt for Hoyer, too. 

If Fitzpatrick isn't back with the Jets in 2016, for whatever reason, they could draft a quarterback and put him in a competition with Smith. Or they could sign a free agent like Hoyer and have him compete with Smith. Or they could sign a veteran, draft a quarterback, and cut Smith. Lots of options here, obviously. 

The Jets' other quarterback currently on the roster, Bryce Petty, was a rookie project player just last season. So it doesn't seem like he is ready to start. If Fitzpatrick isn't back in Florham Park, it seems extremely unlikely the Jets would go into this summer with Smith and Petty as their top two quarterbacks. 

40 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You'd rather go with Fitz?

He is right up there with the Patrick Ramsey's of NFL QB's.

He certainly had a good season for a hold the fort type of player last year ... If we can keep him another year with average NFL starter salary ... AND ... Get out of the deal year 2 with minimal guaranteed $ in hopes of Petty or a 2016 draft pick being ready for their shot then yes.

Archived