La Canfora Tweets

KRL

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora  2 hours ago

Two WRs I hear the most about w/ Jets are Fuller and Coleman.
Did  extensive work on both of them. Both could be available when they pick

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora  2 hours ago

Also, Jets have interest in Brian Hoyer, as they did a year ago.
Very likely to schedule a visit with him soon, quite possibly this week

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if they felt they had to draft Devin Smith's replacement already....unless they feel Gailey will use tons of 4 and 5 WR sets.

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if they felt they had to draft Devin Smith's replacement already....unless they feel Gailey will use tons of 4 and 5 WR sets.

I doubt Jets are looking at DS' replacement. He was raw to begin with. It'll be for BM's replacement. He's not going to be a Jet for very long (2 years left in the contract). Even if he resigns, he'll be 34 n past his prime. We do need his replacement at some point n Jets haven't drafted a first round WR since Santana Moss in 1936 (so it seems). 

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If I recall correctly the Jets had the highest % of 4WR/5WR plays in the NFL last year so it makes sense.

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

No, it's BPA.  And Brandon Marshall isn't going to be here forever.  This has nothing to do with Devin Smith.

52 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

No, it's BPA.  And Brandon Marshall isn't going to be here forever.  This has nothing to do with Devin Smith.

Ditto.  And face it, we are long past the over/under on Marshall's brain chemistry remaining in balance and manageable.  I love the guy, but he remains a kook just waiting to blow up when least expected.  Grooming a #1 now isn't a bad idea.

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

a WR would be a waste of a pick in any round IMO.  Many actual needs to fill, and I don't think WR is one of them.

Then you haven't watched Coleman... He's my #2 pick for the Jets should Lynch be unavailable for whatever reason... (I'm auto-eliminating Wentz & Goff)

WR is definitely a position we need to monitor closely... Marhall is 32 and could up and retire at any time. Decker's never been healthy for a full season - and we don't have a #3 even being groomed.

Lynch, Coleman, Treadwell, Spriggs, Spence... gotta get us one of 'dem

PS. i'll leave this universe once and for all if we draft Fuller... you guys frustrated with Devin Smith? Fuller is 100x more limited. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I doubt Jets are looking at DS' replacement. He was raw to begin with. It'll be for BM's replacement. He's not going to be a Jet for very long (2 years left in the contract). Even if he resigns, he'll be 34 n past his prime. We do need his replacement at some point n Jets haven't drafted a first round WR since Santana Moss in 1936 (so it seems). 

If they are looking to replace BM Josh Doctson is the pick. The kid is absolute baller. He will end up being the most productive WR in this class. And I would really be happy with Corey Coleman as a slot guy. All he does is get in the end zone. My lord with Fote this O would be be lethal with decent QB play

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

No it wouldn't. 

Yes it is because we need a QB, OL and LB's and a CB at this juncture.  WR's are a luxury right now.  Why not just say fock it use all 6 picks to redo the special teams unit.  

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

Yes it is because we need a QB, OL and LB's and a CB at this juncture.  WR's are a luxury right now.  Why not just say fock it use all 6 picks to redo the special teams unit.  

Talent is always a need. If you draft primarily for positional need you end up picking inferior talent to fill a hole (either real or perceived).

The GM has to build a talent base to make this team competitive for many years to come - as mentioned above, if Marshall is gone in two years, what do we have at WR? A hole to fill. Having a greater talent level on the roster makes these holes easier to fill. "Next man up".

8 hours ago, pointman said:

WR? Interesting. Devin Smith who?

We run alot of 4 WR sets....yet only have 2 legit WR's and Smith is coming back from an ACL. Even if he was healthy thats only 3 receivers and Enunwa will be back and forth with TE duties. Drafting a WR would be smart, especially if we still have the first crack at the position by the time we get to 20. 

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

I doubt this has anything to do with Devin Smith. The Jets have no proven receivers outside of Kerley/Marshall. 

Fitz threw 31TD's and 3,900 yards last season. Decker and Marshall accounted for 26TD's and over 2,500 yards. Though we were running 4 WR sets it was really the Marshall & Decker show. Smith was our deep threat Fitz isnt an accurate passer or a deep ball thrower so Smith was pretty limited since he's learning the route tree. You bring in another receiver that can be a legit target and maybe a new QB that could at the deep pass to the offense and this offense would be insane. However, if we end up keeping Fitzpatrick I dont like the Fuller/Coleman options. They're both deep threats and Fuller from what I've read doesnt have natural hands. I would rather have Treadwell, a guy who could be a viable option on every down and has natural catching ability. Guys like Devin Smith, Fuller and Coleman will not be relevant in this offense until we get a QB that can make the deep pass a legit threat. 

6 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Ditto.  And face it, we are long past the over/under on Marshall's brain chemistry remaining in balance and manageable.  I love the guy, but he remains a kook just waiting to blow up when least expected.  Grooming a #1 now isn't a bad idea.

And even if he keeps it together, he's no spring chicken.  Might only make it another year or two.

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I doubt this has anything to do with Devin Smith. The Jets have no proven receivers outside of Kerley/Marshall. 

Fitz threw 31TD's and 3,900 yards last season. Decker and Marshall accounted for 26TD's and over 2,500 yards. Though we were running 4 WR sets it was really the Marshall & Decker show. Smith was our deep threat Fitz isnt an accurate passer or a deep ball thrower so Smith was pretty limited since he's learning the route tree. You bring in another receiver that can be a legit target and maybe a new QB that could at the deep pass to the offense and this offense would be insane. However, if we end up keeping Fitzpatrick I dont like the Fuller/Coleman options. They're both deep threats and Fuller from what I've read doesnt have natural hands. I would rather have Treadwell, a guy who could be a viable option on every down and has natural catching ability. Guys like Devin Smith, Fuller and Coleman will not be relevant in this offense until we get a QB that can make the deep pass a legit threat. 

You have anybody in mind who can get the ball downfield?:D

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Ya think?  They took the kid 37th overall.  I hated the pick but my god, I hope they get something out of it.  The Jets cant afford to continue to miss on 2nd round picks. 

Smith, Amaro, Smith, Hill, Ducasse - their last 5 2nd round picks after they drafted Harris.  And it doesnt really get better if you look at the picks before Harris.

Excuse me while I puke. 

58 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, they got rid of Kerley.  So it's Decker and Marshall and that's it.  God forbid one of them get injured.  This team is proper ****ed. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, they got rid of Kerley.  So it's Decker and Marshall and that's it.  God forbid one of them get injured.  This team is proper ****ed. 

precisely my point. Their production was awesome last season, but if one of them gets hurt thats our season. We also have to think about drafting people BEFORE retirement becomes a problem. The Jets need to stop being so reactionary when it comes to things happening first. We know that both our WR's are 30 and over. Draft a guy now so in a year or two they can take over from a guy like Marshall and we dont have to force our hand in the draft during that time looking for an immediate replacement by a rookie. 

Drafting a WR in the 1st wouldnt be bad at all. Everyone of those receivers should still be on the board by that time. We all know that we need OLB'ers, but like the QB position we shouldnt push the situation. If a guy worthy of picking up is there...get him. If not then just get the est guy available. I think the WR position will be great at 20. 

33 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

precisely my point. Their production was awesome last season, but if one of them gets hurt thats our season. We also have to think about drafting people BEFORE retirement becomes a problem. The Jets need to stop being so reactionary when it comes to things happening first. We know that both our WR's are 30 and over. Draft a guy now so in a year or two they can take over from a guy like Marshall and we dont have to force our hand in the draft during that time looking for an immediate replacement by a rookie. 

Drafting a WR in the 1st wouldnt be bad at all. Everyone of those receivers should still be on the board by that time. We all know that we need OLB'ers, but like the QB position we shouldnt push the situation. If a guy worthy of picking up is there...get him. If not then just get the est guy available. I think the WR position will be great at 20. 

I'm not opposed to it, though I'm not very high on the WR's in this draft outside of Treadwell.  I personally wouldnt be targeting a WR.  I dont really see any sure fire studs in this draft.  But I'd be happy with Treadwell in the 1st.   I kind of like Josh Doctson too (but not at 20).

Homerish pick - the dude might be psychopath but Demarcus Robinson is a 1st round talent.  He could be a late round steal. 

4 hours ago, Powpow said:

We all saw how important WRs are in this offense when BM played hurt n Devin was out. Our all-world QB started sh*tting the bed. 

QB is not going to help us this year. I think we go QB in round 2 since it'll be a reach at #20. I'm expecting an extra 2nd n a late rounder for Mo. That 2nd can be used on a LB or OT and so forth. 

Not saying we need a WR at 20, but I do think we need a WR at some point that can step up in year 2 or 3 as the starter. 2-3 years down the road, we probably won't have BM or Decker. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Ya think?  They took the kid 37th overall.  I hated the pick but my god, I hope they get something out of it.  The Jets cant afford to continue to miss on 2nd round picks. 

Smith, Amaro, Smith, Hill, Ducasse - their last 5 2nd round picks after they drafted Harris.  And it doesnt really get better if you look at the picks before Harris.

Excuse me while I puke. 

I am not writing off Smith(Devon on course) or Amaro.  I think they show up this year :)

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

We run alot of 4 WR sets....yet only have 2 legit WR's and Smith is coming back from an ACL. Even if he was healthy thats only 3 receivers and Enunwa will be back and forth with TE duties. Drafting a WR would be smart, especially if we still have the first crack at the position by the time we get to 20. 

Um, yeah.  I loved your Treadwell pick in your latest mock.

I feel that Macc is going to draft value in the first round; doesn't matter who.  And I've felt that Treadwell is going to be that guy. 

Is he the VTF receiver this year?

Archived