Tanking for a QB?

jett

Would you tank a season for a quarterback?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you tank a season for a quarterback?

• Yes
    • No

No one wants to lose, and no real football fan wants their team to lose on purpose. Then there's this idea, tanking for a year to have longterm success, like what the Colts did. I don't care what anyone says Luck is an awesome qb who could be one of the greats if they start drafting better. In that case, it certainly seems like it will work out. 

But the idea of tanking for something that is such a crapshoot and so unknown, it's certainly scary. Luck was a sure fire lock for a can't miss prospect since Peyton. Even then, he still could've been a bust. 

Who here wouldn't mind tanking for a year for a SHOT at a franchise quarterback? Just trying to see where everyone's at. Next year we have two possible quarterbacks who, if they come out, will be top picks and I love both of them. Watson and Kaaya. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I'll add this, if it was an Andrew Luck type prospect, I certainly would, and I hope most of you would as well..

But let's say it's a prospect that would go number 1 like a Winston. Great prospect but with some questions. 

Hell yes. I was pounding the table for us to tank for Winston 2 years ago. But yet fellow Jets fans looked at me like I was crazy because I was rooting for my team to lose. Like we are above tanking SMH. Funny part is we would be in a better position had we tanked for him like the Bucs did. Jameis Winston is special and will be an elite QB.

If we tanked for Watson I'd love that. He's gonna be a star, just watch

How about this:

draft Paxton Lynch.  Sit him for the entire first year.  Throw Geno and Petty to the wolves this year.  Next draft make a LARams like trade that gives us multiple seasons of #1 picks that allow us to build for the future around Lynch.

1 minute ago, King P said:

Hell yes. I was pounding the table for us to tank for Winston 2 years ago. But yet fellow Jets fans looked at me like I was crazy because I was rooting for my team to lose. Like we are above tanking SMH. Funny part is we would be in a better position had we tanked for him like the Bucs did. Jameis Winston is special and will be an elite QB.

If we tanked for Watson I'd love that. He's gonna be a star, just watch

I love love love Winston. He's that type of qb who can win regardless of whose on his team. He wills his team to victories. 

I think it's far more nuanced.  While I certainly don't endorse going into a season with a plan to lose, I believe you need to have an honest assessment of the team, and not tie up future resources for no good reason.  If your team isn't championship caliber, I don't see a good reason to add expensive pieces that may make you a little better, but not get you over the hump, and I don't see a great reason to not play a younger roster who you hope will develop.  So, these decisions happen both in the offseason and in the season as it develops.  I wouldn't actively try to lose a game outside of maybe week 17 though.

I would tank for the right QB prospect but I don't know enough about the QB's next year to say if it would be worth it. I think the team also has to tank at the right time. By this I mean that I wouldn't tank during the first year of a HC/GM's tenure with the team. The first year is when the FO needs to prove that themselves to the team and the rest of the league and show that they know how to win. You need the FO to be on solid ground or their turnover will affect the drafted QB and the stability of the team long-term as well. 

34 minutes ago, Pcola said:

How about this:

draft Paxton Lynch.  Sit him for the entire first year.  Throw Geno and Petty to the wolves this year.  Next draft make a LARams like trade that gives us multiple seasons of #1 picks that allow us to build for the future around Lynch.

your that sure that Lynch is that special guy?  I'm sure not

No, don't tank, it doesn't work.  It fosters a losing attitude and young QB's and how they are viewed moves around wildly from year to year.  Guys like Barkley and Cook were viewed as high 1st rounders in the year before their draft year and both fell off.  Others, guys like Cam Newton were not looked at as franchise guys until their draft year.

I say this from experience being an Edmonton Oiler fan, though the oilers have not out right tanked in most years they have been dreadful enough to keep getting high to 1st overall picks and they continue to stink.  Teams like Cleve and Oakland were perpetual high drafters.

Try and win every year and make good management decisions that can set you for a possible trade up if you have to.  Draft QB prospects almost every year.  Tanking is simply not the way to go unless of course you are a 2 win team with 2 weeks left to go perhaps, then it may make sense but do not plan for failure.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, don't tank, it doesn't work.  It fosters a losing attitude and young QB's and how they are viewed moves around wildly from year to year.  Guys like Barkley and Cook were viewed as high 1st rounders in the year before their draft year and both fell off.  Others, guys like Cam Newton were not looked at as franchise guys until their draft year.

I say this from experience being an Edmonton Oiler fan, though the oilers have not out right tanked in most years they have been dreadful enough to keep getting high to 1st overall picks and they continue to stink.  Teams like Cleve and Oakland were perpetual high drafters.

Try and win every year and make good management decisions that can set you for a possible trade up if you have to.  Draft QB prospects almost every year.  Tanking is simply not the way to go unless of course you are a 2 win team with 2 weeks left to go perhaps, then it may make sense but do not plan for failure.

Hockey is way different than football mon, hockey you are drafting 18 yr old kids

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

sanchez has more playoff wins than luck, so I don't see any reason to tank for any QB

Sanchez also had a top 5 defense those two years.

luck has had a sh*tty o-line and defense and the only person around him who is able to make big time plays is Ty Hilton and defenses double cover him all the time.

Luck has carried that team his first few years but he took a beating last year

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

Hockey is way different than football mon, hockey you are drafting 18 yr old kids

Look mon, a 20 year old rookie QB is not that much different risk wise considering all that they have to bring to the table.  Let's tank for Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf, both were amazing in college.  You can make Qb a priory without intentionally going into the dumpster, the Jets can do that all on their own the normal way.

tanking a season is bulls--t and the reason that it's not assured that a QB will be waiting at the end of that tank. 

Some years don't have a good QB. Some years you can win 4 games and be picking 5th.

this isn't the NBA. there's no Lebron James that's going to save the franchise. Andrew Luck was a once in a generation type of prospect, like Elway or Peyton. It happens about once every 10-15 years. 

and let's say you get that player, congrats you've just introduced him to a talent less, broken franchise, with a culture of purposeful losing. GL with that. 

Fans wanted the Jets to tank for Bush.  Reggie was a cant miss prospect, was going to change the league.  A G Sayers type back, once in a generation.

Jets were morons for beating Oakland and missing out on this once in a lifetime game changer.

You would think they would have learned their lesson right then and there.

That moment has passed. We had that. We had it right in our grasp. But because of this idiot owner and a fanbase with a large enough percentage that has absolutely no concept of playing the long game, we lost our shot. We missed out on a QB prospect that looked damn good his first year and now we get to watch the team build around him with a killer trade they just made.

Twice this happened in 10 years by the way. We don't learn. We never will.

So congrats Jets fans. Our meaningless December wins that NOBODY cares about netted us Vernon Gholston and yet another defensive lineman. Yippee. 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

tanking a season is bulls--t and the reason that it's not assured that a QB will be waiting at the end of that tank. 

Some years don't have a good QB. Some years you can win 4 games and be picking 5th.

2015 had two good quarterbacks. We were in a position to draft one of two with four games left. The math isn't too difficult on that one. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this isn't the NBA. there's no Lebron James that's going to save the franchise. Andrew Luck was a once in a generation type of prospect, like Elway or Peyton. It happens about once every 10-15 years. 

and let's say you get that player, congrats you've just introduced him to a talent less, broken franchise, with a culture of purposeful losing. GL with that. 

Also worth noting that this is the same exact argument you made right before the Chiefs game that landed us Vernon Gholston instead of Matt Ryan. Might wanna rethink your position on this one.

Two things:

1. Tanking is for cowards

2. If I were to tank, I wouldn't tank for a Luck-type prospect. Luck right now is no better than a slightly above average QB. He doesn't look like a FQB on the field. Too many INTs. Fitz has a higher career completion % than Luck and had a much better year last year, which is not to say I would rather have Fitz, just that you never know with these QBs drafted high. In fact, since the 2010 draft, Fitz had a better year last year (based on passer rating) than all the QBs picked high other than Cam and Bortles (and he essentially tied Bortles). That means he had a better year than Bradford, Winston, and Luck. All I'm saying is that unless you have a once (or twice) in a generation talent like Cam, it's not worth tanking (if I were to tank, which I wouldn't, because I'm no coward). And even then, you don't know if that once in a generation talent will turn out to be Cam, or, instead, RGIII.

1 minute ago, majf said:

Two things:

1. Tanking is for cowards

2. If I were to tank, I wouldn't tank for a Luck-type prospect. Luck right now is no better than a slightly above average QB. He doesn't look like a FQB on the field. Too many INTs. Fitz has a higher career completion % than Luck and had a much better year last year, which is not to say I would rather have Fitz, just that you never know with these QBs drafted high. In fact, since the 2010 draft, Fitz had a better year last year (based on passer rating) than all the QBs picked high other than Cam and Bortles (and he essentially tied Bortles). That means he had a better year than Bradford, Winston, and Luck. All I'm saying is that unless you have a once (or twice) in a generation talent like Cam, it's not worth tanking (if I were to tank, which I wouldn't, because I'm no coward). And even then, you don't know if that once in a generation talent will turn out to be Cam, or, instead, RGIII.

I would never trade Luck for Cam.  Luck is a FQB, no matter how many times you say he isnt

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

2015 had two good quarterbacks. We were in a position to draft one of two with four games left. The math isn't too difficult on that one. 

yeah that Jameis Winston championship should happen any day now

Well......there's a case to be made both ways, but this year you have 2 shining examples of alternatives of tanking vs trading up to the top for a franchise QB.  TEN drafted their QB last year, let him stink it up for a season while he learned, earned the top draft pick for a year and was able to parlay their pick into a ton of opportunities to surround their franchise QB (personally I feel that's subjective as I don't feel Mariotta is going to be all that good, but I digress) with a ton of talent if they play their cards right.  LA on the other hand moved up for their guy, but now they will have 2 years of starvation trying to put reasonable pieces around him.  It will be very interesting to compare the career path of Mariota vs Goff/Wentz depending on who LA drafts.  Personally I think Wentz/Goff are way more talented than Mariota, but I could see Mariota finding success easier because he should, in theory, be surrounded with more talent. 

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also worth noting that this is the same exact argument you made right before the Chiefs game that landed us Vernon Gholston instead of Matt Ryan. Might wanna rethink your position on this one.

Matt Ryan would have been chased out of town years ago. He can't win in the playoffs. 

Archived