Tanking for a QB?

jett

Would you tank a season for a quarterback?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you tank a season for a quarterback?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

We talk about bringing in some respectable leaders.  People like Bowles and Maccagnan to bring respectability to this franchise and to right the ship.

And then we talk about tanking the entire next season for unknown prospects.  And it's freaking April?

I love the Internet.

I don't think anyone should ever tank a whole season, but if you are 1-7 after 8, I think you should evaluate as many backups as possible

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I don't think anyone should ever tank a whole season, but if you are 1-7 after 8, I think you should evaluate as many backups as possible

So that is a defensible position.  At 1 and 7, the season is not necessarily lost, but it's bleak.

You might not want to "tank" on purpose at that point, but I agree about taking more risks and evaluating backups if you can.

That said, if you scour the long history of the NFL, you can see some turnarounds after bad starts.  I just looked all the way back to 2015 and see that the Chiefs didn't seem to give up after their 1-5 start, and it worked out OK for them.  I know the rules and conditions way back in 2015 make this an apples and oranges thing.  I think they wore leather helmets in 2015.  Still, I think it was a good thing they didn't give up - http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2015/REG/CHIEFS

But yes, I am with you, and yours is a reasonable stance.  At 1-7, take some risks, evaluate some options, etc.  I wouldn't tank, but sure, change it up a bit.

Planning to tank *next* season when it's April for nameless prospects who may surface?  That's insane.

57 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Do you realize how big of a step up from what we've had that mushes are? Infinity. It is infinity steps up.

Yeahhhhhhhhh, I guess. But a decade of Matt Ryan would have been tough to watch, IMO. Far too Caucasian for my taste.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think we should draft right tackles and defensive ends until the style of play in the NFL inevitable trends back to 1927.

When Bellichick does it in a couple years it'll be considered genius

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sick of people bringing up the colts. You do realize the HC and GM got FIRED after that debacle. There is no incentive to tank for the players and staff.

This. You want to tank the season you have to pay some interim schmo and tell him for every game he wins you stick a kebab skewer in his balls.Every game he loses he gets a $100K bonus. But you can't put guys out there whose jobs/careers are seriously on the line, and expect them to tank for the betterment of the franchise they won't be a part of after they're fired.

Meh, drafting a franchise QB sounds good in theory , but those guys like money , at some point we'll have to trade him for more picks rather than pay his greedy selfish a##, and then we have to try and draft more good players with those picks, but not too good, cuz the really good ones like money also...so we won't wanna put ourselves in a position where we have to pay them also, unless of course we draft JJ Watt, we can pay him, cuz he's JJ Watt.

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sick of people bringing up the colts. You do realize the HC and GM got FIRED after that debacle. There is no incentive to tank for the players and staff.

No, don't you understand? They were so good they won two of their last three games and almost let the Brownies into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes to make it look good. And THEN they fired the GM and Head Coach to make it look even better.

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

how does tanking work ?  who is in on it ?

It doesnt work. The fact that a team thinks that tanking is a good decision just shows how poorly that operation is run. Check out the colts for example. The "sucked for Luck", was actually successful at not winning games. Got themselves a franchise QB yet arent good enough as an organization to even provide him an offensive line. Their so terrible that when he's injured they're the same organization that went 1-16 when Manning was injured. 

Develop your team, thats how you win. A complete team with a competent QB will always be better than an Andrew Luck let terrible Colts team. 

It doesnt work. The fact that a team thinks that tanking is a good decision just shows how poorly that operation is run. Check out the colts for example. The "sucked for Luck", was actually successful at not winning games. Got themselves a franchise QB yet arent good enough as an organization to even provide him an offensive line. Their so terrible that when he's injured they're the same organization that went 1-16 when Manning was injured. 

Develop your team, thats how you win. A complete team with a competent QB will always be better than an Andrew Luck let terrible Colts team. 

So, they didn't tank they just suck, then?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Responding about Matt Ryan being overrated when someone brings up how much we've missed out on by not having him? Irrelevant?

Sure, he may have produced as well for us in the regular season as he has down there, but I was pointing out that he also may not have, given that he had a far better supporting cast down there, and has shown absolutely no ability to carry a team when the talent level decreases, as proven over the last three years with a combined 0-3 winning seasons, and 12 games below .500. 

Sure we may have advanced further in the postseason with him here, but I was pointing out that his awful postseason play is the driving force behind their even more woeful postseason experience than the Jets in the same time frame. 

If you mean irrelevant, in that this is an irrelevant exercise since we're not going to be able to go back and sub Matt in on the Jets during those years, then sure, irrelevant. 

Irrelevant because however he's rated, he'd still be by far the best QB the Jets had since he's been in the league.  Even if he wasn't 'as good,' it's very doubtful he'd fall to statistically (advanced and standard) one of the leagues worst QBs, which is exactly what we've dealt with since Ryan entered the league.

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Compelling argument. Want to explain why they decided to win two of their last three and almost made it three of five against the pats?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

Curtis. Painter. 

No team trying to win starts this guy. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

They did suck, but they werent 1-15 sucky. They most def tanked games. 

I'm tired of being forced to explain the obvious. You'll win by attrition. But while we are on it, which games did they tank? Any explanation for being 0-13 and then NOT tanking the last three games with Andrew Luck almost becoming a Brown?

9 minutes ago, jett said:

Irsay.  This guy is a hands on owner. 

Any idea how that conversation went down? Something like:

Irsay: Come on into my office, Bill, I mean Chris...I want to lose games. Big time. Got it?

Polian: Sure, how do you want to do it?

Irsay: You figure it out. Just make sure you win two of the last three for appearances.

Polian: I'll get on it. We are going to get this Luck kid, I'm so excited. Gonna be a bright future for us!

Irsay: Yes, um, sure, yes it will. For us. That's right for....us. I love you Bill, I mean Chris.

Polian: You're going to fire me, aren't you?

Irsay: Yes, absolutely. Send Jim in, will you?

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm tired of being forced to explain the obvious. You'll win by attrition. But while we are on it, which games did they tank? Any explanation for being 0-13 and then NOT tanking the last three games with Andrew Luck almost becoming a Brown?

I couldnt tell you off the top of my head, it was like what, 5 or 6 years ago? We all remembered it when it was happening though. Situation with field goals, sh*t looking super shady during their epic "tank". 

I cant exactly tell you what games they tanked and exactly how 5 or 6 years years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Any idea how that conversation went down? Something like:

Irsay: Come on into my office, Bill....I want to lose games. Big time. Got it?

Polian: Sure, how do you want to do it?

Irsay: You figure it out. Just make sure you win two of the last three for appearances.

Polian: I'll get on it. We are going to get this Luck kid, I'm so excited. Gonna be a bright future for us!

Irsay: Yes, um, sure, yes it will. For us. That's right for....us. I love you Bill.

Polian: You're going to fire me, aren't you?

Irsay: Yes, absolutely.

Sounds like you were in the room with them! This is probably just about right. 

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, they should have traded for Brady.

Kerry Collins started the year and got concussed. Not sure who they were going to bring in to save the season that was available.

Probably anyone else

7 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Teams that are always in first place halfway through the season have no reason to tank the second half.

lol i mean reverting to ground and pound. Belichick's best quality is being ahead of curve. it makes a lot of sense. most other teams are followers. when some other teams find success with a different approach - wildcat, dual TEs, the 3-4 defense revolution of late 90s - they copy cat. that then drives up the relative values of players that fit that scheme. belichick recognizes this and then "buys low" on players that fit forgotten trends (such as pats going back to 4-3) before anyone else because you can get stud players for forgotten schemes later in draft/cheaper than studs for en vogue schemes. not exactly rocket science but it works. when Brady retires i think you're going to see NE become a more old school offensive team for awhile, at least.

Archived