Hoyer visiting the Jets today

BroadwayJets

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe there is legitimate interest from the Jets. Maybe the team, just like a season ago, really is considering Brian Hoyer as a potential option at quarterback.

Or, maybe, it’s the team’s way of sending one last message to their record-breaking, free-agent signal caller that he best return soon, or they’re moving on.

With Ryan Fitzpatrick still a free agent and locked in an ugly contract negotiation with the Jets, New York is bringing Hoyer in for a visit.

So, here are some quick thoughts on that, and how it specifically impacts the Jets draft plans, Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty and Geno Smith.

502624690-e1459443758344.jpg?w=246&h=142

It could very well be a smoke screen. . . or not

In the first week of free agency, the Jets brought in Robert Griffin IIIfor a visit. Right around the same time, news was “leaked” that the team had interest in trading for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

In the days and weeks since, it’s been figured out that that was nothing more than an attempt to get Fitzpatrick a bit uneasy, lower his price tag, and return to the Jets at a lesser pice. It didn’t work, as Fitzpatrick called New York’s bluff, and was right.

With still little to no progress made in terms of closing the gap between what the Jets are offering, and what Fitzpatrick wants, New York is now bringing Hoyer in for a visit. While Fitzpatrick likely laughed off the “interest” in Kapernick and RGIII, Hoyer shouldn’t draw the same reaction.

If Hoyer can give the Jets 80 percent of what Fitzpatrick can, at 50% of the price. . . it may make sense to bring him aboard.

usatsi_9046500-e1461069262429.jpg?w=257&

Is Hoyer really that bad of an alternative?

Absolutely not. Not even close. In fact, the argument can be made that a season ago, Hoyer actually had a better year than Fitzpatrick, playing with far, far less in terms of surrounding talent.

Playing in five less games, Hoyer had a higher completion percentage (60.7 compared to 59) and a higher quarterback rating (91.4 to 88). Taking Hoyer’s per-game averages, then expanding them to if he’d played a full 16 games, he’d have had a final regular season stat line of the following:

3,790 passing yards, 27 touchdowns, 10 interceptions.

Fitzpatrick threw for 3,905 yards with 31 touchdowns and 15 picks playing with Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, a QB-friendly offense designed by Chan Gailey and the AFC’s leading rusher (Chris Ivory.)

Hoyer had DeAndre Hopkins and. . . well, DeAndre Hopkins.

Geno Smith, New York JetsNot only would Hoyer signal the end of Fitzpatrick, but also Geno Smith?

Here’s something to ponder: Whether or not Hoyer is signed, it will not impact the Jets draft day plans. If the team is planning on trading up to get a quarterback, or sitting pat and taking a quarterback, they’re still going to do so.

Hoyer is 30 and a capable spot starter. What he is not is a team’s quarterback of the future.

Hypothetically speaking, if New York were to sign Hoyer, then draftPaxton Lynch (Memphis), Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) or trade up to get either Jared Goff (Cal) or Carson Wentz (NDSU), that would give the Jets four quarterbacks on the roster– Hoyer, Rookie-To-Be-Drafted, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty.

Hoyer isn’t going to be cut, as he’d be the lone veteran on the 53. Petty still has three years left on his rookie deal. Smith is a free-agent after this year.

In a league where teams keep two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, the Jets certainly aren’t going to keep four. Maybe they can sneak Petty onto the practice squad, but if not, there’s a very real chance Smith is cut.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I remember what you said, but I was just putting out there that those GIF's better represent what Hoyer is then 7 GIF's that make him look like a superstar. 

i totally agree which is why I'm not impressed with any of the qbs  out there

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I will bet you £1000 right now Fitzpatrick will be starting in the NFL in Week 1 if he's healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fitzpatrick ends up starting for a QB desperate team week 1. The fact is, no team actually wants to go into week 1 with fitz as their starter, that's why he's only getting offered Chase daniel level backup money 

I think Joewilly touch on a very important point that many fans are looking past. That is that Chan has had great successful developing less then successful QB. Fitz is a shining example of that success when they were both with the Bills

Chan is the major reason I would not count out Geno becoming the starter this year for the Jets

If anyone can get the best of Geno it would definitely be Chan. Geno has physical skills far superior than most of the quarterbacks that Chan has tried to develop. I also think that Shannon would develop a system that allows Geno to do the things he does best on the football field.

Report: Brian Hoyer visiting Broncos next

The quarterback situations with the Broncos and Jets are perhaps the least settled in the league at the moment, so it’s not much of a surprise that both of those teams were mentioned as possible landing spots for Brian Hoyer after he was released by the Texans this week.

It’s also not much of a surprise that those are the first two teams to have Hoyer in for visits. Hoyer came to New Jersey to meet with the Jets on Tuesday and Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that Hoyer will move on to a meeting with Denver.

Caplan, who previously reported that Hoyer hopes to find a new team quickly, adds that the Jets remain interested. Their level of interest will likely be related to any movement their meeting with Hoyer may have caused in their impasse with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who remains a free agent due to a gap in valuation between him and the team coming off of a strong 2015 season.

The Broncos have traded for Mark Sanchez this offseason and flirted with a possible deal for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, although things have been dormant on that front for a while.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

I think Joewilly touch on a very important point that many fans are looking past. That is that Chan has had great successful developing less then successful QB. Fitz is a shining example of that success when they were both with the Bills

Chan is the major reason I would not count out Geno becoming the starter this year for the Jets

If anyone can get the best of Geno it would definitely be Chan. Geno has physical skills far superior than most of the quarterbacks that Chan has tried to develop. I also think that Shannon would develop a system that allows Geno to do the things he does best on the football field.

Be careless with the football and take drive killing needless sacks?

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So here it comes, right? Philly is about to trade up for Wentz, so this season is going to be Brian Hoyer, Bryce Petty, and whatever schlep falls to us at 20 or in the second round. God dammit. This is going to be one heck of an era that we're heading into.

Lynch and Cook are going to be pretty good NFL QB so no worries. 

Sigh Hoyer or Fitz and draft Cook cut Geno.

Hoyer Cook Petty sounds just fine to me.  2017 ether Cook or Petty start with the other being the back up.  Unless one stinks, then draft one again.   Keep going until you have a franchise QB.

Well you'd think if the Jets like Hoyer so much and are willing to walk on Fitz they had first shot at him and still didn't sign him. And commit themselves to Hoyer as starter and give him a low starters salary. So what's going on then. To me it seems like the Jets aren't making any decisions that eliminate Fitz from the picture at least yet. They aren't getting the top two Qbs in the draft either. 

Archived