Jump to content
Mogglez

Jets have reportedly looked into trading up to #2 pick.

Recommended Posts

Allbright can be a dick but he has broken plenty of stuff before and with more news of the Browns actively shopping the pick coming out today this doesn't sound surprising.  This draft is shaping up to be one of the most exciting one in years.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

losing 3 picks for the sloppy seconds of a mediocre QB class that would be so jets

 

 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine every team takes and give offers quite often leading up to and during the draft.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our ability to move up to #2 is totally dependant on whether we can work Mo wilk into the deal or not imo.

I agree. FWIW I found this too from a Jets news compiler on twitter: 

"The #Jets are interested in trading Muhammad Wilkerson and their 1st round pick (20th) to move up and draft a top QB (ESPN)."

I'm sure this is just stating the obvious but I have to imagine, based off every move they've made so far + the failed attempt to move him for the #1 pick, the team has absolutely zero intentions of keeping Mo.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Larz said:

losing 3 picks for the sloppy seconds of a mediocre QB class that would be so jets

 

 

There have been plenty of occasions where the best QB of the draft was not the first QB drafted.  

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our ability to move up to #2 is totally dependant on whether we can work Mo wilk into the deal or not imo.

Agreed. That would be the only way I would be happy moving up. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I would imagine every team takes and give offers quite often leading up to and during the draft.  

Macc already said he contacted every team in front of us to gauge their terms. Writers could literally say this same thing about the Jets "looking into" moving up for every pick from 1-19.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adoni Beast said:

The Jets are getting their QB this year.

I would have the normal Jets fan feeling of great excitement and great dread.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our ability to move up to #2 is totally dependant on whether we can work Mo wilk into the deal or not imo.

Just telling my son that we've seen the last of Mo in a Jet uniform.  Sad but necessary.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if the rumors of the jets wanting either the 1st or 2nd pick are true, then they really don't want to spend the time to develop a guy like lynch if they can avoid it.  though i question how ready wentz is anyway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

these draft rumors are hit-or-miss.  Macc called everyone higher than #20 for due diligence.  Another team can leak this for leverage in order to persuade another team to pay up.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

something tells me that we have called just about every team to gauge how they value their pick and what they would want for it

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inquiring on the cost really isnt a big deal.  Not only is it just an inquiry that could easily just end right there but there are also other conversation to be had.  That conversation can also be about who else is calling, what they are targeting and it could be about other picks they have too.

Nothing to see here. Mac aint stupid enough to mortgage the future on sloppy seconds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the rumors of the jets wanting either the 1st or 2nd pick are true, then they really don't want to spend the time to develop a guy like lynch if they can avoid it.  though i question how ready wentz is anyway.

Well one thing I've thought about is that all of this would explain why they are so content with Geno/Hoyer/some other vet replacing Fitz.  After the year Fitz just had he has to, at the very LEAST, want a 2 year deal that guarantees him a good chunk of change.  If the team feels that they have an opportunity to grab a guy that can step in sooner than Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, etc, then there is little to no reason to:

1. Pay Fitz his high asking price

2. Give him anything beyond one year.

Obviously we don't know any of this for sure but it could explain a lot.  Also would explain why no deal will likely be done before the draft.  Our QB situation sounds like it's going to be drastically different after this all done

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well that's ******* stupid 

Besides, anything in the top five will cost the Jets the first 3 days of the draft. We won't get a pic until the sixth round or even the 7th.

If they do this, it will be a horrible day for gang green and one hell of a waste for the 2016 draft!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BaumerJet said:

Besides, anything in the top five will cost the Jets the first 3 days of the draft. We won't get a pic until the sixth round or even the 7th.

If they do this, it will be a horrible day for gang green and one hell of a waste for the 2016 draft!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Not if it brings them their QB for the next 10 years

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

something tells me that we have called just about every team to gauge how they value their pick and what they would want for it

And that's exactly what BigMac should be doing.  You never know, might as well call everyone and see what you can get for what.

I'm sure a lot of this activity is revolved around Mo too, so it wouldnt surprise me if he's spoken to every team in the league by now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is this surprising, if we looked into moving up to 1 then obviously we'd look into moving up to 2.  who knows if we get there but good GMs explore all options.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

Besides, anything in the top five will cost the Jets the first 3 days of the draft. We won't get a pic until the sixth round or even the 7th.

If they do this, it will be a horrible day for gang green and one hell of a waste for the 2016 draft!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Wilkerson will be a part of any trade to move up so we wouldn't be giving away all of our draft.  Mo will be a big chunk of the compensation if something happens.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Gotta hope the Rams take Wentz.

I actually would be fine with a trade up for either one of those top two guys.  I like them both.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beerfish said:

I actually would be fine with a trade up for either one of those top two guys.  I like them both.

I think it goes 1-2 with Goff being the former, but trading up for Wentz just kind of smells like an all-time bust. Has nothing to do with his ability, just the level of play he's coming from. 

But I trust Maccagnan and Bowles. It seems certain they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB next Thursday, and I'm praying that the gamble pays off. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

I think it goes 1-2 with Goff being the former, but trading up for Wentz just kind of smells like an all-time bust. Has nothing to do with his ability, just the level of play he's coming from. 

But I trust Maccagnan and Bowles. It seems certain they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB next Thursday, and I'm praying that the gamble pays off. 

 

Maybe, but depending on what it takes to go up to #2 I'd take the chance. I'm tired of wallowing in mediocrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the rumors of the jets wanting either the 1st or 2nd pick are true, then they really don't want to spend the time to develop a guy like lynch if they can avoid it.  though i question how ready wentz is anyway.

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Macc mentioned at all with regards to Wentz.  I think the only team that has gushed about Wentz was Philly, and maybe Dallas.  Guy has less than two years starting experience.  IMO, risk is too high to move up and get him.  He missed 8 games last year and his team won everyone of them.  He will have to sit just as long as or even longer than Lynch.  If LA takes Wentz, there will be a flood of calls to Cleveland.  If LA takes Goff, than who knows.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

I think it goes 1-2 with Goff being the former, but trading up for Wentz just kind of smells like an all-time bust. Has nothing to do with his ability, just the level of play he's coming from. 

But I trust Maccagnan and Bowles. It seems certain they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB next Thursday, and I'm praying that the gamble pays off. 

I'm more and more comfortable with smaller school guys coming if they have the arm and look the part leading up to the draft (combine, pro days, all star games.) Flacco and Roeths have done well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brian101193 said:

 

Maybe, but depending on what it takes to go up to #2 I'd take the chance. I'm tired of wallowing in mediocrity.

Makes two of us. But I'm under the impression that a LOT of our horrid history comes from a lack of people in our front office who are certified to make personnel decisions. I think Maccagnan is finally that guy who can make something out of those "meaningless" (cc: Tanny) late round picks, and I'm willing to be patient, again. I think Cook is the pick at 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the rumors of the jets wanting either the 1st or 2nd pick are true, then they really don't want to spend the time to develop a guy like lynch if they can avoid it.  though i question how ready wentz is anyway.

Agreed.  If its not just Mac doing due diligence, then it does say something about what they think of the QBs that they have shown interest in throughout the draft process like Hackenberg, Lynch, Prescott, Rudock, Stave, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm more and more comfortable with smaller school guys coming if they have the arm and look the part leading up to the draft (combine, pro days, all star games.) Flacco and Roeths have done well.

I don't disagree, I'm just a sufferer of Jets fan syndrome. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BroadwayJets said:

I don't disagree, I'm just a sufferer of Jets fan syndrome. 

I hear you as I said in another post, if we traded up to get QB I'd be half excited and half scared sh*tless.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No team is excepting a trade with Mo involved unless they agree to a long term deal with him first. It would be smarter to trade Mo and then take all the picks and move up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

Makes two of us. But I'm under the impression that a LOT of our horrid history comes from a lack of people in our front office who are certified to make personnel decisions. I think Maccagnan is finally that guy who can make something out of those "meaningless" (cc: Tanny) late round picks, and I'm willing to be patient, again. I think Cook is the pick at 20.

It all comes down to what "significantly less" means in terms of picks. I DON'T want to give up what LA did, but if it was in the neighborhood of Mo and 2 1st rounders Macc would have to consider it. I agree with you on Macc being the right guy to make these types of decisions, if he really likes Wentz and the Ram's take Goff he's got to go get him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brian101193 said:

It all comes down to what "significantly less" means in terms of picks. I DON'T want to give up what LA did, but if it was in the neighborhood of Mo and 2 1st rounders Macc would have to consider it. I agree with you on Macc being the right guy to make these types of decisions, if he really likes Wentz and the Ram's take Goff he's got to go get him. 

I agree, it also really helps that we have Mo on the block as well, it could save us a first rounder in 2018 or something along those lines. One year without a first rounder is not exactly a mortgaged future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Wilkerson will be a part of any trade to move up so we wouldn't be giving away all of our draft.  Mo will be a big chunk of the compensation if something happens.

This...

IMO this whole trade up scenario is more about dealing Wilkerson for good value than it is about finding a franchise QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Macc package Wilk to move up in the draft and then trade OUT of that spot and move back to gather more picks.  Assuming that yields him a better return than what is being offered for Mo outright.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...