Eagles Trade Up to #2

C Mart

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Smart CAN get you a franchise QB.  Sheer desperation NEVER gets you a QB.  It just gets you to pay ridiculous sums to the likes of Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford. 

Or maybe it gets you the QB you want in a draft but never allows you to be able to effectively build around him because of lack of draft capital.

Exactly!!!  Two dumb and desperate teams (HOU & PHI) paid outrageous $$$ to unproven QB's and have totally screwed up the

salary market.  And now PHI has to pay through the nose for a QB who isn't a definite to be the next Luck or Manning

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KRL said:

Exactly!!!  Two dumb and desperate teams (HOU & PHI) paid outrageous $$$ to unproven QB's and have totally screwed up the

salary market.  And now PHI has to pay through the nose for a QB who isn't a definite to be the next Luck or Manning

LA too.  and the ripple effect is, the jets may get shut out of the top 3 or 4 qbs.  i'm glad mccags didn't trade into the top 2, but now i'm wondering if he'll trade up at all.

Let's be real here both LA & PHI have paid HUGE prices for QB's who may be the next Mark
Sanchez or Alex Smith.  There is no way anyone is going to convince me that Goff & Wentz
are "can't miss" prospects.  What this may mean for the Jets is multiple players may fall
to us at #20 because it seems like there may be a run on QB's above us

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Just a question.....let's say Philly feels Joey Bosa is J.J Watt.  Would you trade five picks to get him?  Other than Brady and Rodgers, what other QB would you rather have than Watt?  

Answer your own question.  What have the Texans ever won with J.J Watt( as great as he is) .    There is a reason they overpaid Osweiller - you don't have a Qb, you don't have a chance.

It's not that long ago that Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel were first rounders and MIN & BUF
swore they found their QB's.  You better be convinced of what you're seeing when you make
deals like this

Jesus. This is crazy. Do they even know which QB will be on the board? I want a franchise QB as much as anyone, but I don't think it's worth some of the crazy sh*t going down here.

Really hurts us if we were planning on going QB though. Hope we don't panic and move up too far for Lynch.

Goff and Wentz aren't going to get a lot of help.

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Eagles just committed financial suicide. reminds me of the Nets-Celtics deal a bit.

Actually the second year of bradfords deal makes a lot of sense now. If wentz is ready to take over Bradford becomes a tradeable asset

3 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Answer your own question.  What have the Texans ever won with J.J Watt( as great as he is) .    There is a reason they overpaid Osweiller - you don't have a Qb, you don't have a chance.

My thought is this. I can't believe any team has equal grades on two QB's, and would be happy with either one.Throw in the fact that Eagles paid a king's ransom to move up, it makes me think either they really want Lynch, and are afraid he won't be there at 8, or want somebody non QB related(Bosa) who definitely wouldn't be there at 8.

Just now, section314 said:

My thought is this. I can't believe any team has equal grades on two QB's, and would be happy with either one.Throw in the fact that Eagles paid a king's ransom to move up, it makes me think either they really want Lynch, and are afraid he won't be there at 8, or want somebody non QB related(Bosa) who definitely wouldn't be there at 8.

The Eagles chairman just said they're taking either Goff or Wentz, stop speculating.

43 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So the Eagles commit $25M to the QB position in 2016, and then trade away multiple picks and next year's first rounder to draft a QB. Okay. 

As soon as I seen the news on Youtube that is literally the first thing that came to mine. 

I have to admit, this draft is shaping up to be one of the most exciting in a LONG time! Last year was pretty bland at that. We're a week away and we already have the top 2 picks moved for major draft picks. 

I really wish I was in the states for this draft. Would love to be at a bar with friends as this goes down. 

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Eagles just committed financial suicide. reminds me of the Nets-Celtics deal a bit.

Seems even worse for the Eagles -- at least the crazy NBA lottery system insulates teams from their own stupidity to some degree.

One of the recurring themes over the past two years is the apparent shortage of starting calibre QBs in the NFL.  It does not appear that there are 32 of them.  Thus, teams who want one are going to be aggressive about getting one.  

Paxton Lynch is by no means a sure thing, but he does have some resemblance to Flacco and Rothesberger, in terms of size, skill and experience.  With RG III the Browns are in a perfect spot to pick Lynch, have him sit behind RG III for a year or two and then start.  And pocket the extra picks.  But that is only if someone with or without trading takes him first.  

But I don't think Paxton Lynch is making it past the top 10.  I am not saying he is going to be great, but he is not making it past the top 10.

The eagles gave up peanuts if Wentz turns into the equivalent of a Rothlesberger, Rivers, Manning etc. Whats a first round pick?  A 50% chance you get the next Gholston, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Dee Milliner?!?!?!?!?!?

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I can't believe these trade-ups for QBs that don't come close to previous years QBs and guys that may not be able to start until their 2nd year.

and guys who don't seem to have the upside of guys like bortles, carr, winston, i could go on.  it just seems like some teams are so sick of having crap there is no price too high to get out of the qb sewer.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:
wilsona_normal.jpg Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)
Eagles get Browns' second overall pick, 2017 4th-rd pick; Browns get eighth pick, 2016 3rd-rd, 4th-rd picks; 2017 1st-rd pick, 2018 2nd-rder

I have a strong feeling that the Browns are going to move down again. They need WR's and they do not have to take one at #8. I think they're going to move down to like 14 or 15 and they're going to get Treadwell while picking up another high pick. 

The Browns are totally winning right now. 

Meanwhile, out in stupidville, the Eagles extend Bradford, sign their back up quality starter money and now they move up for a QB. Circus. 

I don't think its as bad of a deal for thr Eagles as it seems. They have Bradford who they can potentially trade this or next year and get a lot of those picks back. Now for the Jets who don't have a player that can generate a return of the draft picks you gave up for the 2nd pick, the asking price was too high. 

I can see Philly unloading Bradford to San Fran (would Chip Kelly go after him again?) Denver, or Buffalo (Idk about their cap space though).

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I tried to tell everyone, four to five QB's going in the first round.  Lynch will be gone at seven or eight and cook before 20. 

Im not too sure about that. It could be though, but honestly, giving up all of those picks when you could have had Lynch at 8? 

One thing about the QB position, either you go high or you start to slip. I think Cook has a better chance of going in the first than Lynch. I really dont see the hoopla with that kid. 

32 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Actually the second year of bradfords deal makes a lot of sense now. If wentz is ready to take over Bradford becomes a tradeable asset

He does? I was thinking the opposite. Next year he costs $17M to keep or you have to still pay him $4M for the privilege of cutting him. 

His trade value would be much higher without the extra $4M guaranteed. Then someone could just pick him up for $7M for this year and if you like (i.e. someone else materializes through the 2016-2017 draft or 2017 FA) then you're done. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Im not too sure about that. It could be though, but honestly, giving up all of those picks when you could have had Lynch at 8? 

One thing about the QB position, either you go high or you start to slip. I think Cook has a better chance of going in the first than Lynch. I really dont see the hoopla with that kid. 

FWIW, scouts inc. on espn has cook rated higher than lynch.  

Archived