Bryce Petty must really stink

Ex-Rex

All Maccagnan is saying is this:

1) We won't know anything about Petty's progress until training camp begins

2) He liikes Ron Wolf's philosophy to draft a QB every year

Nothing he said today can be construed as "writing off" Petty.  Just that, at this point, they'd be foolish to put all their eggs in one basket.

Personally I'm not expecting QB in round 1.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

However nicely he may have put it, or however you want to read into it, he's saying Petty was a LONG way off the last time he saw him. The comments about "he's working hard..." etc are platitudes that get said about everyone who isn't Johnny Manziel, including lazy players who are not necessarily working hard. Pretty much everything else nice he said about Petty he could have said about him the day he was drafted or right after minicamp.

What I read in this interview is: "Bryce wasn't anywhere near ready when I saw him last. He may or may not be adequate as our #2 QB but he certainly has the physical talent to do so. Hopefully when we next see him he's a lot more QB than future QB prospect."

Anything else I think you're seeing what you want to see in his generic platitudes. It's a hair above if a GM said an, "As of right now Geno Smith is on our roster" type comment. It's technically a supportive statement meaning he's a Jet, but everyone knows what it would really mean if that was said.

Thank you for explaining what myself and Macc are thinking.  I didn't renew my seer license, so all i could judge was by what he actually said.

BTW, I really don't have a dog in the Petty fight.  If the Jets had taken him in the 1st or 2nd last year, I would not have been very happy.  In the 4th I thought he had excellent value, and a very good pick..

From the horrible job he did under center during Senior Bowl week, to what he showed in the 2nd pre season game against Atlanta, was a dramatic improvement.  Not saying he was any where near NFL starter ready, but MUCH improved.

I have no reason to think he won't have improved again with time to work on things again this off season.  I see he's still attached at the hip with Fitz.

Seeing as your license is paid up, what did he really mean with Williams?

3 hours ago, GandWFan said:

What Mac ACTUALLY is saying, is that Petty is good enough to be the backup THIS YEAR, and has the skills to do much more, but it is up to him to go out, put the work in, and take the starting job.   The context of the question was for the upcoming season, not a statement of his ceiling forever.

Thank you...

This what many of have said for awhile now.

But some posters have been hell bent on making it look like Petty is some kind of scrub who the Jets don't believe has the ability to be the starter and nothing could be further for the truth....

3 hours ago, GandWFan said:

What Mac ACTUALLY said, is that Petty is good enough to be the backup THIS YEAR, and has the skills to do much more, but it is up to him to go out, put the work in, and take the starting job.   The context of the question was for the upcoming season, not a statement of his ceiling forever.

Agree

We don't know crap about Petty. I don't understand why he's considered such a longshot.

Some had him ranked as the #3 QB in his draft. He's a solid guy with good skills. We may see him take a leap forward, who knows. If we pick another QB, that may spur him on even more.

DC

53 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

We don't know crap about Petty. I don't understand why he's considered such a longshot.

Some had him ranked as the #3 QB in his draft. He's a solid guy with good skills. We may see him take a leap forward, who knows. If we pick another QB, that may spur him on even more.

DC

This is a good post. Good way to get out of that -9 rep hole you've dug for yourself! LoL!

I gave you a + rep.... Just don't cross Spermy, Ape or JW and you'll be just fine.

:Nuts:

I will post the same comment here I posted somewhere else:

Well, saying Petty could develop into a guy like Marc Bulger or Trent Green or a Mark Brunnell isn't to far-fetched (which if he developed into guys like that it would be great) with these weapons he'd still be a decent QB, can't ask for more than that. But the guys who thing he is the next Brady or Rodgers are kidding themselves.

8 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I will post the same comment here I posted somewhere else:

Well, saying Petty could develop into a guy like Marc Bulger or Trent Green or a Mark Brunnell isn't to far-fetched (which if he developed into guys like that it would be great) with these weapons he'd still be a decent QB, can't ask for more than that. But the guys who thing he is the next Brady or Rodgers are kidding themselves.

Petty is a much better prospect than Brady was. Not saying he'll be the next Brady. Just saying that no one thought Brady was going to be the next Brady. 

22 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Petty is a much better prospect than Brady was. Not saying he'll be the next Brady. Just saying that no one thought Brady was going to be the next Brady. 

There are plenty of guys who are/were better prospects than Brady. The real question is if they have the same determination and mind set that Brady had at that time.

One thing I'll say about Petty, of the 3 QB's who were on the team last year, he's the only  one I'd give even odds of being on the team in 2016.

(actually I'd give close to even odds about Fitz  being here, but there is going to be a syhit or git moment with him soon

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

Thank you for explaining what myself and Macc are thinking.  I didn't renew my seer license, so all i could judge was by what he actually said.

BTW, I really don't have a dog in the Petty fight.  If the Jets had taken him in the 1st or 2nd last year, I would not have been very happy.  In the 4th I thought he had excellent value, and a very good pick..

From the horrible job he did under center during Senior Bowl week, to what he showed in the 2nd pre season game against Atlanta, was a dramatic improvement.  Not saying he was any where near NFL starter ready, but MUCH improved.

I have no reason to think he won't have improved again with time to work on things again this off season.  I see he's still attached at the hip with Fitz.

What are you guys smoking?  What do you think Mac is going to say, that Bryce is on track to become the starter?  

I can tell you for a fact that the Jets like Petty, but it's way too early for them to tell whether he's going to be a starter or not.

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

It has nothing to do with mind reading. If he was at all high on Petty he wouldn't use such measured terms, where he doesn't bad mouth Petty but he doesn't actually say anything good about his QBing skills beyond what one might have said on draft day. He's spoken much more highly of Fitzpatrick, who's far from anything special and seems likely to return at some point. 

If you read his comments and come away thinking he just called Petty a solid #2 QB right now then you're seeing what you want to see in those comments, because Maccagnan said nothing of the sort. 

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

What are you guys smoking?  What do you think Mac is going to say, that Bryce is on track to become the starter?  

I can tell you for a fact that the Jets like Petty, but it's way too early for them to tell whether he's going to be a starter or not.

Maybe. I hope so. What he gave was a decorative way of saying, "Well we'll see what he looks like when we see what he looks like." 

That, plus wanting Fitzpatrick to return (though just not at any price), plus trying to move up to draft a QB, bringing in RG3, bringing in Hoyer, calling about Glennon, calling about Kaepernick, suggests he doesn't today have a lot of confidence in Petty starting. 

10 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

Maybe it has something to do with Mac trying to trade for the #1 pick in the draft. He wouldn't have possibly taken a QB. Would he?

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, Ex-Rex said:

Because on nearly EVERY Jets site I visit, all everyone is talking about is how the Jets can get a QB like Lynch or Cook. If the Jets draft a QB it will send a clear signal that Petty is not progressing as well as the team had hoped. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was extremely pleased when the Jets took Petty. I watched him with a lot of interest at Baylor and thought he was a better prospect than RGIII. But WTF do I know? Thoughts?

Petty was drafted as a project QB. He still has a lot to learn and I don't think he was drafted to take over the starting position right away but to sit back and develop for a few years and maybe become something. Instead of rushing him out onto the field when he is not ready and destroying the kids confidence in himself they are doing the right thing and letting him develop slow. Unfortunately for Petty the NFL is not a patient league and if there is a better option available a team cant just sit back and wait for their guy to be the maybe of tomorrow when they have a chance to get the probable of today. 

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe. I hope so. What he gave was a decorative way of saying, "Well we'll see what he looks like when we see what he looks like." 

That, plus wanting Fitzpatrick to return (though just not at any price), plus trying to move up to draft a QB, bringing in RG3, bringing in Hoyer, calling about Glennon, calling about Kaepernick, suggests he doesn't today have a lot of confidence in Petty starting. 

That's the thing, you can't rely on a fourth round pick who did not play in a pro-style offense to become a starter.  The odds are against a guy like that becoming a starter.  Mac is not an idiot. That doesn't mean he doesn't like Petty.  It just means that he knows that he can't put all his eggs in the Petty basket.

He's probably going to take another QB in this draft.  Who?  I have no idea.  The Jets are pretty good about not letting things slip.  I know that Mac loved Goff.  Don't think he was hot on Wentz.  No idea what they think about Lynch, Cook, or Hackenberg.  Hackenberg seems like a good bet, though.  He's smart, physically gifted, tough, and a leader.  PSU nearly ruined him.  Chan Gailey can fix him.

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It has nothing to do with mind reading. If he was at all high on Petty he wouldn't use such measured terms, where he doesn't bad mouth Petty but he doesn't actually say anything good about his QBing skills beyond what one might have said on draft day. He's spoken much more highly of Fitzpatrick, who's far from anything special and seems likely to return at some point. 

If you read his comments and come away thinking he just called Petty a solid #2 QB right now then you're seeing what you want to see in those comments, because Maccagnan said nothing of the sort. 

He's clearly trying to talk Fitz up in a non-threatening fashion.  Clearly Fitz is their #1 choice.  He's not Rex he's not going to over state Petty's , or any  players position.

As pointed out above he used almost the same scenario in describing Williams development.   No praise, just wants to see how he looks after camp.  Nothing negative in either case.  If those words are negative for Petty,then there negative for Williams and Pryor.

As I've said several times before, I'm not saying Petty is going to be an All Pro.  He will not be the starter this season.  CS likes his improvement, any one who was aware of Petty during the Senior Bowl is aware he improved dramatically under center during last off season.  

CS likes where he is at, likes his potential for the future.  I really don't see this QB pre draft hype as any threat to Petty.  Of the 3 QB's on the team last year he's the one, barring some disaster,  who is most likely to be on the Jets roster opening day.

As Woody said, if Fitz doesn't sign, the CS will find an alternative to smith.  That's what they are doing.  Think Macc is good to go with Petty as the back up if he shows continued improvement.  He wants to see it before he anoints him anything.

if you choose to force read negativity in to what Macc said, that's surely your choice.

46 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

That's the thing, you can't rely on a fourth round pick who did not play in a pro-style offense to become a starter.  The odds are against a guy like that becoming a starter.  Mac is not an idiot. That doesn't mean he doesn't like Petty.  It just means that he knows that he can't put all his eggs in the Petty basket.

He's probably going to take another QB in this draft.  Who?  I have no idea.  The Jets are pretty good about not letting things slip.  I know that Mac loved Goff.  Don't think he was hot on Wentz.  No idea what they think about Lynch, Cook, or Hackenberg.  Hackenberg seems like a good bet, though.  He's smart, physically gifted, tough, and a leader.  PSU nearly ruined him.  Chan Gailey can fix him.

Shhhhhhhhhh  Hackenberg is IMO the Jets choice......... :) 

All the people looking to argue aside, I believe Mac is doing a very good of managing the QB thus far. He drafted a QB in year one and will give him the time necessary to develop and finally give it his best shot with confidence at some point. I also truly agree with his thoughts on having a QB camp. Competition is a truly great thing. It brings out the best in everyone. Drafting a QB in every draft IMO is a very forward, responsible approach to things.

He also signed Fitzpatrick and although most did not like the signing at the time (including myself), it actually worked out very well for the team. Fitz has been a good addition to the offense and really got an otherwise pathetic excuse for an offense off the ground and started. I think under Fitz tutelage, Petty or some other guy yet to be named will be able to take over the offense seamlessly. The offensive weapons are there right now. Not all of them, they still need a TE and a few other things, but all in all, they already have a potent running game and two very good WR's and that is a good starting point for any young kid.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

He's clearly trying to talk Fitz up in a non-threatening fashion.  Clearly Fitz is their #1 choice.  He's not Rex he's not going to over state Petty's , or any  players position.

As pointed out above he used almost the same scenario in describing Williams development.   No praise, just wants to see how he looks after camp.  Nothing negative in either case.  If those words are negative for Petty,then there negative for Williams and Pryor.

As I've said several times before, I'm not saying Petty is going to be an All Pro.  He will not be the starter this season.  CS likes his improvement, any one who was aware of Petty during the Senior Bowl is aware he improved dramatically under center during last off season.  

CS likes where he is at, likes his potential for the future.  I really don't see this QB pre draft hype as any threat to Petty.  Of the 3 QB's on the team last year he's the one, barring some disaster,  who is most likely to be on the Jets roster opening day.

As Woody said, if Fitz doesn't sign, the CS will find an alternative to smith.  That's what they are doing.  Think Macc is good to go with Petty as the back up if he shows continued improvement.  He wants to see it before he anoints him anything.

if you choose to force read negativity in to what Macc said, that's surely your choice.

The bolded part is true. But it's a far cry from thinking Maccagnan said he believes Petty is right now a solid #2 QB. He needs to see what he is now before anointing him as even being the team's #2. That is what I've been saying. Not that Petty sucks. 

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The bolded part is true. But it's a far cry from thinking Maccagnan said he believes Petty is right now a solid #2 QB. He needs to see what he is now before anointing him as even being the team's #2. That is what I've been saying. Not that Petty sucks. 

Fair enough

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Starting today.  Given he was called a 2 year project makes sense.  

Archived