Jets GM: We're 'not actively shopping' Mo Wilkerson

BurnleyJet

If the New York Jets plan to vault into the top 10 of next week's draft, they'll likely need to offer their juiciest bargaining chip: Muhammad Wilkerson.

Still yet to sign his $15.7 million franchise tag, the star defensive end has been the subject of trade talks for weeks while staying away from the team's offseason program.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't in a rush to move on from Wilkerson, though, telling reporters Friday that the Jets are "not actively shopping" the Pro Bowler, per NJ.com's Dom Cosentino.

Maccagnan touched on Wilkerson's status amid of sea of "no comments," but longtime beat writer Rich Cimini offered that Gang Green remains "interested in moving" the end who is still rehabbing from the broken leg he suffered in Week 17. 

Maccagnan acknowledged the team could pursue "multiple" directions with Wilkerson, but rescinding his franchise tag isn't one of them, with the GM saying: "The simple answer is no. I don't view that as an option."

We'll hopefully have a conclusion to this ongoing Gotham-based drama by the end of the draft. Wilkerson is the type of player sure to draw interest, and the Jets, no matter what anyone says, will gladly listen to offers -- that much we guarantee.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000655274/article/jets-gm-were-not-actively-shopping-mo-wilkerson

Possibly requiring a team to pay Wilkerson 100+ million dollars to complete the trade shouldnt be considered a juicy bargaining chip. This is probably why he hasnt been traded yet to begin with. Having to pay him that amount of money AND give up a top 10 pick? Sounds more like robbery than anything else. 

The other team might as well just spend their top 10 pick on a DT/DE and save themselves 80 million dollars. Last year we signed Leonard Williams to a 4 years 18 million dollar contract and we have a 5th year option. So why even pay Wilk when you have a top 10 pick and the opportunity at the best DE in the draft? 

If we wanted a 1st for Wilkerson we should have traded him last year. No one is going to give up a top 10 pick just for the opportunity to sign Wilkerson to such a contrac, or more specifically, I'd be shocked if someone gave us a top 10 pick for Wilk. We need to face the facts that this isnt a "juicy trade chip" here. We wasted that opportunity last year. We should be happy if we get a 2nd rounder for him straight up. 

I still think we should trade him to TB for Mike Glennon and their 3rd round pick, 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Requiring a team to pay Wilkerson 100+ million dollars to complete the trade shouldnt be considered a juicy bargaining chip. This is probably why he hasnt been traded yet to begin with. Having to pay him that amount of money AND give up a top 10 pick? Sounds more like robbery than anything else. 

The other team might as well just spend their top 10 pick on a DT/DE and save themselves 80 million dollars. Last year we signed Leonard Williams to a 4 years 18 million dollar contract and we have a 5th year option. So why even pay Wilk when you have a top 10 pick and the opportunity at the best DE in the draft? 

If we wanted a 1st for Wilkerson we should have traded him last year. No one is going to give up a top 10 pick just for the opportunity to sign Wilkerson to such a contrac, or more specifically, I'd be shocked if someone gave us a top 10 pick for Wilk. We need to face the facts that this isnt a "juicy trade chip" here. We wasted that opportunity last year. We should be happy if we get a 2nd rounder for him straight up. 

I still think we should trade him to TB for Mike Glennon and their 3rd round pick, 

Mo is a "Plug and Play" talent who has shown a constant high level of play over the last 3 years and is entering his prime @26 yr. old.

Guys like Shelton and Armstead, Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler did nothing last yr. Leo and Beasley were the only Defensive players who were worth their weight last yr.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/15/pro-how-every-2015-first-round-pick-graded-in-their-rookie-season/

For a team like Chicago, Tenn, Indi, TB & SF where their GM's are facing loss of jobs due to endless losing records or Jacksonville, LA who are opening new or upgraded stadiums, an impact player like Mo would help solidify their porous Defense. A net gain of 2/3 wins might help them keep their jobs and stay in football.

I think Mac will be able toget more value than NE did trading Jones. A minimum 2nd rd. value.

Some team will miss out on the DL they want and Mo will fill that void!

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mo is a "Plug and Play" talent who has shown a constant high level of play over the last 3 years and is entering his prime @26 yr. old.

Guys like Shelton and Armstead, Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler did nothing last yr. Leo and Beasley were the only Defensive players who were worth their weight last yr.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/15/pro-how-every-2015-first-round-pick-graded-in-their-rookie-season/

For a team like Chicago, Tenn, Indi, TB & SF where their GM's are facing loss of jobs due to endless losing records or Jacksonville, LA who are opening new or upgraded stadiums, an impact player like Mo would help solidify their porous Defense. A net gain of 2/3 wins might help them keep their jobs and stay in football.

I think Mac will be able toget more value than NE did trading Jones. A minimum 2nd rd. value.

This sounds good, but if you think that any team in the top 10 that need a DL will give up a top 10 pick for Wilk and sign him to a premium contract, I implore you not to hold your breath. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

This sounds good, but if you think that any team in the top 10 that need a DL will give up a top 10 pick and sign Wilk to a premium contract I implore you on to hold your breath. 

I'm thinking Chicago at 11..... so I win! 

And Chi would be a swap out.... #11 for #20 which would = a mid 2nd rd. pick value wise. Or Tenn. pick #45 for Mo would be OK.

If Mac can get more than that, I will be a happy caper.

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

And Chi would be a swap out.... #11 for #20 which would = a mid 2nd rd. pick value wise. Or Tenn. pick #45 for Mo would be OK.

So, top 11 you mean...not top 10. Also, I'd have to see it to believe it. The Jets will not be trading Mo Wilk straight up to Chicago for their 11th pick in the draft. The Jets will have to package something else like their 20th pick. 

Sorry, let me be clear in what im saying. Mo Wilkerson by himself will not produce a 1st round draft pick this upcoming draft. 

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

This is correct.

I don't expect to get anything close to a top 10.  Even a 2nd rounder is probably too much to ask.

This isn't a draft day trade either - can't happen without contract details....

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

So, top 11 you mean...not top 10. Also, I'd have to see it to believe it. The Jets will not be trading Mo Wilk straight up to Chicago for their 11th pick in the draft. The Jets will have to package something else like their 20th pick. 

Sorry, let me be clear in what im saying. Mo Wilkerson by himself will not produce a 1st round draft pick this upcoming draft. 

VF, I know you to be a very smart man, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with your reading comprehension skills.

See Bolded texts above.

After the second time through it, I think you'll see we're on the same page..... 

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.

I don't expect to get anything close to a top 10.  Even a 2nd rounder is probably too much to ask.

This isn't a draft day trade either - can't happen without contract details....

There are worst things than having to keep Muhammad Wilkerson for a year. ( if the Jets can't find a team that willing to pay their asking price.

What's wrong with taking less this year & getting more picks next year? Macc is trying to build a winner, maybe a team will offer a 2017 #1, who knows what these GMs will do. We have key older players at QB (if they resign Fitz), Center, CB, MLB, LT, RT, WR. We have to start replacing these guys each & every year while Brady ages.

Keep building this team to remain competitive but with an eye on taking over the AFC east. Tannenbaum will bury the Fins in future debt, Rex will wear out his welcome in Bbuffalo, and Brady is getting old. The next 3 drafts are crucial for the Jets to find a QB, but Woody needs patience, I think Macc & Bowles are the real deals & will build a consistent winner.

43 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

VF, I know you to be a very smart man, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with your reading comprehension skills.

See Bolded texts above.

After the second time through it, I think you'll see we're on the same page..... 

Im pretty decent with smarts. No Tesla or anything lol.

I read what you said the first time, but I did say (before what you bolded) that I still have to see it to believe it. Then I even went further into clarifying what "I" was talking about, not being able to get a 1st rounder for Mo straight up this year strictly because of the contract, which is why we should have traded him last year. I also began the talk talking about a top 10 pick...Chicago doesnt fit the bill there. Also, my very first quote in this thread spoke about Mo, a 1st round pick and him not being "such a juicy chip" as the article would suggest...not Mo in a package deal. 

I say that "I have to see it to believe it" in respects to that trade with Chicago because the first thing to comes to mind is "who are we trading up for exactly...Paxton Lynch"? 

We can do better in a Mo trade while keeping our #20 pick. Possibly get a 2nd rounder for Mo and still have an opportunity at a productive vet QB while having that 20th pick and now two 2nd rounders. 

(Kinda going off topic here) Yes, we could swap with Mo (which I have to see to believe) but for what? Leonard Floyd, Noah Spence, Paxton Lynch? 

macc is a spectator.  he has no leverage.   there are 57 d-lineman who are cheap young and healthy about to be NFL players in 6 days, and they only way he can trade mo is to get fleeced

it could happen after the draft if a team that really needs d-line misses their guy, but of course the jets would be talking about trading for a player(s), not picks and then you don't get (much) cap relief

The fact that SF and Jacksonville were actively seeking to sign Norman shows me teams are willing to spend some money to make their team better even at this late stage of FA

I know CB is in much greater demand, but considering the needs of these teams + Chi there is still the possibility Mo gets moved the closer we get to the draft.

Even Mo must realize if Norman "ONLY" got basically a 3/ $51m deal with $38m guaranteed, Mo should be happy with a 5/$75m with about $40m in guarantees.

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

If you read between the lines here, or at least read properly, you can sense Maccagnan's desperation.

No desperation there, but just preparing the fan base that they might not be able to move him in a trade. ( no team might be interested in paying him, and the Jets price tag to acquire him).    So the Jets might have him for another year on the defense line.( pretty good player).

23 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

A swap out? If we are talking  Dallas's # 4 pick I would agree, that is a huge jump into the top 5 .However,  If we are talking # 11 it should be a straight up trade with us keeping # 20. Mo is a premium player.

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

A swap out? If we are talking  Dallas's # 4 pick I would agree, that is a huge jump into the top 5 .However,  If we are talking # 11 it should be a straight up trade with us keeping # 20. Mo is a premium player.

To get up to number 4  from 20 , would cost a whole lot more than Muhammad Wilkerson and their first pick. 

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would certainly agree with you, but it looks as if the market is soft for a player who will demand around $80m and cost a #1 Draft Pick.

I'm sure the reason this has dragged on so long is the fact Mac will not trade him away for anything less than fair value.

We may very well keep Mo and hope we can get a LT deal done than get minimal value in a trade.

Did Wilkerson sign off on the franchise tag yet? we cant trade him unless he signs the thing so hopefully he signs before the draft and isn't spiteful.

Not yet - if I understand it right, if he signs then he has to turn up to off-season activities etc (or get fined).

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I propose this deal ; We have an unsigned franchise player looking for a long term deal The Broncos have an unsigned franchise player at a position of need .  We have the lesser of the two assets meaning we would have to sweeten the deal . We have no real future at QB and neither do the Broncos . 

The Deal :

We trade Mo and the 20th pick to the Broncos ; The Broncos use our 20th pick to draft QB Paxton Lynch .

The Broncos trade Von Miller and the 31st pick to the Jets along with a 5th rounder . We use the 31st pick to take either QB Connor Cook or QB Christian Hackenberg .

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I propose this deal ; We have an unsigned franchise player looking for a long term deal The Broncos have an unsigned franchise player at a position of need .  We have the lesser of the two assets meaning we would have to sweeten the deal . We have no real future at QB and neither do the Broncos . 

The Deal :

We trade Mo and the 20th pick to the Broncos ; The Broncos use our 20th pick to draft QB Paxton Lynch .

The Broncos trade Von Miller and the 31st pick to the Jets along with a 5th rounder . We use the 31st pick to take either QB Connor Cook or QB Christian Hackenberg .

Tin you have to be kidding??:blink:

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The Deal :

Or the Broncos KEEP the player that is twenty times better and still take a risky QB.

Archived