**** OFFICIAL 2016 DRAFT: Round 1 discussion ****

Integrity28

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

He weighs about as much as a Safety. Way too small to be a 3-4 LB. I guess we'll continue with a base 4-3

Getting into a NFL weight and nutrition program probably means he'll beef up in 1-2 years, never know, have faith!

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

194.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true16. Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State, 6-0 ¾, 232 (4.43)

He has upper-tier athleticism and finds the ball and closes with big-time agility. Some teams consider him undersized. But a team that makes the right call in fitting him in its scheme in a weak-side role will benefit.

Like the ones with eyes?  People complain about 2-down players -- we just drafted a 1-down player.  Sweet jumpin' Jesus of a friggin pogo stick.  Only the Jest.

horrible pick -he is too small for the nfl game and will be a part time player

would have MUCH rather gone elsewhere

this is the reason we NEVER get to the promise land we are BAD at drafting

Just now, Il Mostro said:

Like the ones with eyes?  People complain about 2-down players -- we just drafted a 1-down player.  Sweet jumpin' Jesus of a friggin pogo stick.  Only the Jest.

On the bright side, it's not like there are any big TEs in the division

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

194.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true16. Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State, 6-0 ¾, 232 (4.43)

He has upper-tier athleticism and finds the ball and closes with big-time agility. Some teams consider him undersized. But a team that makes the right call in fitting him in its scheme in a weak-side role will benefit.

you know its a crap pick when a poster has to provide this in the first round. this kinda stuff happens in round 6

lol same old jets

Darren Lee   LB/S   Ohio St

STRENGTHS
Darren is a smart, athletic football player. When he anticipates a play, he is able to impact and create turnovers. Darren shows some leadership skills through his football intelligence and has the respect of his teammates and coaches. Darren works well attacking the line of scrimmage and defending in the passing game. He has the speed you look for that allows him to come from off the line of scrimmage and still disrupt a play behind the line of scrimmage. Darren shows on film the quick twitch and feet to impact as a cover linebacker/safety. He shows the football intelligence to be a coach on the field and there is no doubt in my mind that used in the right system, Darren can become a core player for the team that selects him. 

CONCERNS
As a Linebacker, Darren lacks the stoutness against the run and the shed and tackle skills that you need to have to an impact in that position at the next level. He is what I would call a finesse linebacker who would need to run free to the play to impact. He also is a sloppy tackler although in the open field he does much better tackling because he knows he must make a sure tackle. Darren can make impact plays, but most of those plays are because of the play call or scheme that he is in at the time. 

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 2
Playing your position and playing it well is not a negative; it’s a positive. Nevertheless, playing a position at the college level well because you’re a good athlete does not mean you will play that same position well at the next level. I don’t think Darren is a linebacker for the next level. I think he is a safety or defensive back. He tackles like a defensive back; he covers like a defensive back. He comes from off the line of scrimmage to sack a quarterback like a defensive back. Everything in his play is more aligned to the defensive back position and not the linebacker position. When he is up near the line of scrimmage in run support, well, let’s just say that run support is not very supported. Can Darren be an impact player? The answer to that is, in the right scheme and position yes, but if poor coaching and in the wrong defensive scheme (one that keeps him close to the line of scrimmage), you better make sure he can run free or he will be swallowed up real easily. I like his cover skills and I think he can be an asset covering those big receivers in the slot because of his long arms, legs, quick feet and overall agility. He tackles well in the open field, so to me, he fits as a safety. Keep him at linebacker and you better make sure he is free to the play and will improve his tackling or you will be looking at an athletic player who will lack the impact his athletic talents suggest he’s capable of.

Drew Boylhart  FEB.2016

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

I like the pick. The one LB I was saying I'd take.

We've been crying out for some speed on defence and a LB who can cover for years. Harris and the DL should cover his weaknesses for now. 

Our defence could be something else next season.

I want to believe you but when you spell defense with a "c" I'm not gonna lie..  I'm worried.

"He's a LBer who can cover and blitz" is the most meaningful thing I've read about him. Lots of mocks had him gone before 20, so it's feasible that it was BPA with a dash of need thrown in for good measure.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I said it last week, this kid is deone buccanon, these guys are the future of nfl defense, they can run with the elite offensive players

I love this pick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup..the future of NFL defense and versatility is common among Bowles defenders.

i like the pick.

Archived