Welcome Darron Lee !!!!

Larz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NFL_Draft

16116891-mmmain.jpg

The 20th pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Darron Lee from Ohio State University.

Bio:

6’1″

232 lbs

33.25 inch arms

Combine Stats:

4.47:  40 Yard Dash

35.5:  Vertical Jump

11’1″:  Broad Jump (Pro Day)

4.20:  Shuttle Time

7.12:  Three-Cone Drill

Darron Lee had 4.5 sacks with 66 tackles last year for the Buckeyes.  He had 11 tackles for loss.

Youtube Highlights:

Please follow the discussion of the pick on our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
2XbsvW86ulc

Click here to read the full story...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/28/11409444/jets-darron-lee-2016-nfl-draft-ohio-state-pick

With the No. 20 pick, the New York Jets drafted linebacker Darron Lee out of Ohio State. With only three years under his belt at linebacker, the former high school quarterback has a much higher ceiling than some of his counterparts coming out of college.

Amid some rumblings after the season that Lee could get first- or second-round consideration, he cemented his place among the best prospects available with his workout at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. With an official 40-yard dash time of 4.47, he was the second-fastest Buckeye to perform -- behind only cornerback Eli Apple -- and was the top time among linebackers.

The Jets picked Lee ahead of UCLA linebacker Myles Jack, who fell down draft boards due to knee concerns, and the Ohio State linebacker will play behind a defensive line full of first-round talent. New York has committed to building its defense from the inside out, and Lee will play behind a line that features Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.

His broad jump and shuttle drills highlighted the young player's athleticism.

The storyline about his size has since shifted from a hindrance to a benefit for the 6'1, 232-pound player. Originally expected to attend Ohio State as a member of the secondary, Lee has become the epitome of a new-era linebacker, making his multi-faceted abilities a newly coveted quality at the next level.

When asked about concerns with his size at the Combine, Lee responded, "I can play at that weight. I have really no concerns about it, to be honest with you. As long as I'm able to play fast, that's all that matters to me."

"I feel linebackers are changing in the league, to be honest -- a lot smaller. There aren’t really too many bigger guys. The game is getting faster and you need guys to cover. You’re starting to see that change a lot this year in the league."

Certainly, his size wasn't an issue in his time at Ohio State. After redshirting his freshman year, he came in behind Ryan Shazier and quickly stepped into the role. In Lee's first game as a starter, he showed off his freakish athleticism with a touchdown on a 61-yard fumble recovery.

osu

He finished his collegiate career with 146 total tackles -- including 27 for loss -- plus 11 sacks and three interceptions. He was known as the do-it-all player in Ohio State's 4-3 defense.

Lee is looking forward to improving at his new position and should be a valuable draft pick. He showed that he was hungry back at the Combine.

"I'm still learning linebacker," Lee said, "It will be three years [that] I've been playing the position. I still have a lot to learn."

He'll have just a few months to get adjusted to life in the league, but based on what he did in those three years, Lee is a fast learner. And just plain fast.

2 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

We've been complaining about our defensive speed for years, this kid answers that and then some. I like it. I don't love it, but I like it. 

I would have taken a chance on Jack, or Treadwell, but maybe our biggest problem has been covering RBs, and TEs. Stopping the run is not a problem for us.

Great athleticism and speed but some concerns: he used to play QB and has only played LB for three years, and at 232lbs, he's kind of light and, although I'm guessing, could have trouble breaking through lines and also bringing down 240-250lb RBs. Can't ask him to play DB but still, there might be some heavier QBs out there that he could have trouble bringing down

We may have a hard schedule, but those other teams won't be looking forward to playing our defense. 

Lee is a big time playmaker.  I'm a psu fan and I hated playing against him.  He flies to the ball.  Watch the play in the osu vs bama game where gets chopped down on a great block but manages to quickly crawl on his hands to tackle the wr with a solo tackle.  

Personally,  I would have taken jack over lee but many of you that are hating this pick will eventually love the player.  Have to take the injury issue as well.  Nfl is hard enough to survive when healthy. ....

I hope they don't try to pigeonhole him into the David Harris ILB role.  He's not that player.  That style of player is becoming obsolete.

Lee is either an edge guy or a linebacker/safety hybrid in the NFL.  He may get 12 tackles a game, but they will be out in space.  It won't be the same 12 tackles that David Harris gets.

Lee's weakness is between the tackles.  He could be very special outside the tackles and in space.  He was a QB in high school so he's a very aware player, no doubt.

This is the type of linebacker to draft if you want to beat the top offenses in this league, because the top offenses are mostly finesse these days.  Perfect for beating Brady.

7 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

Bowles says Lee will play inside, behind Erin Henderson to start off. Says he can play outside, too, though.

so he will cover RB's on some downs, chase the QB on others

love that he has to earn his spot !  no more rex declaring the kid a starter on draft day !!!

20 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Gotta love how they were showing this guy get absolutely manhandled by olinemen in his epsn highlight reel. Way to swing for the fences with the draft and pass on Jack.

I just watched film on Lee.  I saw an undersized guy that gets swallowed up by O-Lineman, has no violence in his game, and doesn't make anywhere near enough plays. Huge bust potential.  Color me very nervous about this pick.

I like the pick. LB is where we have a serious deficiency at defense and after years of focus on the defense we might as well round it out. 

With some development in the position he could be running the defense on the field for years to come. As a former QB he knows how to read the field and hopefully has good hands. He's fast, which is one thing we've really lacked at LB for a while. Sure, he only has three years at the position but he seems smart enough to pick up the position. 

Or for lulz put him as an option on the QB depth chart and give Geno the boot.

Archived