For Those Still Crying About Lee

KRL

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Multiple mock drafts had this guy going 17 to the Falcons to play in Bob Quinns defense. The guy everyone had a hard on about being our HC. Instead Bowles drafted him at 20.  How is this not a good pick especially considering the dinosaurs we had roaming in our front seven?  There is always the possibility that someone drafted later could be as good. Just like Hackenberg, Cook, Hogan, or even Cardale Jones could be better than Lynch in a few years.   On paper our defense just got a lot better. 

Great post dude.  Not familiar with the kid pre-draft.  Now I got you vouching for him. I feel better now. Still time will tell.  I will feel better when Lynch is a bust and this kid is a perennial All pro. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Only if you don't count Derrick Johnson.

And Bobby Wagner was almost exactly the same weight as Lee was when he was drafted.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/bobby-wagner?id=2532966

Yep.  Thought Johnson was a 2nd rounder.  Either way, they're not comparable prospects.  Johnson is 6'3 245.  

Wagner might have been Lee's size, but he was a 2nd round pick.

Look, I'm good with it.  I just think they could have found something very similar in the later rounds.  

I was bashing this pick last night and was extremely dissapointed we did not take Lynch. I spoke to a few friends who are Die hard Ohio State fans and they explained Lee's  playing style to me  and showed me some tape of  him against Mariota in the Championship game and I was pretty impressed, they said he was a beast and we should be happy to have him. These are guys that would have no problems bashing a Jets pick as they are Browns fans and know how crazy I am when it comes to the Jets. I still woul have liked Lynch, but I will reserve all judgments to see what we have planned at QB, and of course I will support our new guy 100%.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yep.  Thought Johnson was a 2nd rounder.  Either way, they're not comparable prospects.  Johnson is 6'3 245.  

Look, I'm good with it.  I just think they could have found something very similar in the later rounds.  

If you re-did the 2011 draft, Wagner would be a first round pick.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

just like they can find "similar talent" at QB in the later rounds. In fact there are many who think Cook or even Hack could be better, significantly better than Lynch.  It's all speculation.  We'll see how Lynch's tiny brain learns how to process NFL complexity.  The 17/18 Wonderlic score is scary low.  Makes Geno look like a rocket scientist.

He needs to add strength, get better at tackling, improve in coverage and learn assignment concepts.  At OSU, he was allowed roam and do what he wanted.  All of these are coachable and can be developed.  He is smart, athletic and very competitive.  He should develop well and adds some much needed speed.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

And.... so we draft Lynch and watch him carry a clipboard this year and perhaps next? You do realize there is no guarantee that he beats out Petty who already has a year on him in the system? 

Of course there's no guarantee...but the risk reward is better than a LB that's only going to play in Nickel situations. (which is what Bowles said)

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Of course there's no guarantee...but the risk reward is better than a LB that's only going to play in Nickel situations. (which is what Bowles said)

He's not going to ONLY play in nickel situations. At this beginning, he will be in sub packages. Just like Mauldin, he will hopefully get more playing time as the season goes along.

The LB depth chart should be easy to climb

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The only bad grade the Jets have gotten for this pick that I have seen was from the Washington Post and that's only because of the QB situation, nothing to do with the player himself.

Every other grade I have seen is positive

20. New York Jets: Darron Lee | Grade: C-

The Jets go with the athletic Lee who flies around the field, but still has work to do to become the coveted "3-down linebacker." His athleticism does not translate directly to his coverage as he ranked 73rd among linebackers in 2015 after posting a negative grade in 2014. Lee can make plays against the run, using his speed to get to the ball when unblocked, but he’s not special enough in this area to warrant the first-round pick. His best work comes as a blitzer as he can defeat blocks and his +8.2 rush grade was among the best in the nation last year. Ultimately, for Lee to live up to his draft spot, he must get better in coverage.[/QUOTE]

1 minute ago, legler82 said:

20. New York Jets: Darron Lee | Grade: C-

The Jets go with the athletic Lee who flies around the field, but still has work to do to become the coveted "3-down linebacker." His athleticism does not translate directly to his coverage as he ranked 73rd among linebackers in 2015 after posting a negative grade in 2014. Lee can make plays against the run, using his speed to get to the ball when unblocked, but he’s not special enough in this area to warrant the first-round pick. His best work comes as a blitzer as he can defeat blocks and his +8.2 rush grade was among the best in the nation last year. Ultimately, for Lee to live up to his draft spot, he must get better in coverage.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. He is definitely not a finished product. But at the end of the day, i believe he will get more playing time than a rookie WR would have or Lynch.

First round you look for instant impact. After that you build depth.

When last season ended, Bowles said that he wanted to get faster on defense. This guy has legit NFL speed, and can contribute early. 

It's not a pick that changes the franchise but it's at least solid with the potential to be very good. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

He's not going to ONLY play in nickel situations. At this beginning, he will be in sub packages. Just like Mauldin, he will hopefully get more playing time as the season goes along.

The LB depth chart should be easy to climb

According to Bowles he will only play in nickel situations...and MAY be able to be a 3 down LB - when he gets bigger (which may or may not ever happen and def. isn't going to happen this year).. Point is..there's plenty of risk with this pick too..

Mauldin was a 3rd round pick...so it's fine for him to be broken in slowly.  I would have loved this pick in the 3rd round.  Not saying he isn't a first round talent just the offense on the Jets need a heck of a lot more help than the defense.

13 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

If you re-did the 2011 draft, Wagner would be a first round pick.

And Brady would be #1 overall, so what's the point?

It's about value. 

Put it this way.  I dont think Cravens or Wright are that much different than Lee.  We could have them in the 2nd and possibly right now have Lynch or the BAP WR on their board.

Is Lee that good that you're prefer him over that hual? IDK.  We'll find out.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

According to Bowles he will only play in nickel situations...and MAY be able to be a 3 down LB - when he gets bigger (which may or may not ever happen and def. isn't going to happen this year).. Point is..there's plenty of risk with this pick too..

Mauldin was a 3rd round pick...so it's fine for him to be broken in slowly.  I would have loved this pick in the 3rd round.  Not saying he isn't a first round talent just the offense on the Jets need a heck of a lot more help than the defense.

What help? What on the offense that was availlable did we need help?

WR depth, we're fine. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith (coming back from injury) and Amaro (coming back from injury).

QB? Unless they were completely sold on Lynch, don't draft him.

All the good OL were off the board.

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

just like they can find "similar talent" at QB in the later rounds. In fact there are many who think Cook or even Hack could be better, significantly better than Lynch.  It's all speculation.  We'll see how Lynch's tiny brain learns how to process NFL complexity.  The 17/18 Wonderlic score is scary low.  Makes Geno look like a rocket scientist.

It's not just about the QB, though.  They could have had their choice at WR too.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They don't need a WR right now.

If they had drafted a WR, he would be fighting for the 4 spot with Devin Smith. That's a waste of a first round pick to me.

Disagree.  Their offense is old as dirt and praying Devin Smith develops into something is silly.

Gailey ran more 4 WR sets than anyone in the NFL.  What happens if Marshall or Decker get injured?   Who's next up?  You're putting your faith in Devin Smith?  I'm not.

Just now, JiF said:

Disagree.  They're offense is old as dirt and praying Devin Smith develops into something is silly.

Gailey ran more 4 WR sets than anyone in the NFL.  What happens if Marshall or Decker get injured?   Who's next up?  You're putting your faith in Devin Smith?  I'm not.

Why is that silly? He's a second round draft pick. Don't tell me you are jumping to conclusions based on an injury plagued season?

I think the people who wanted a WR have already, stupidly, given up on Smith and Amaro. Which is stupid.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

And Brady would be #1 overall, so what's the point?

It's about value. 

Put it this way.  I dont think Cravens or Wright are that much different than Lee.  We could have them in the 2nd and possibly right now have Lynch or the BAP WR on their board.

Is Lee that good that you're prefer him over that hual? IDK.  We'll find out.

The point is that if you project him as a Bobby Wagner or a LaVonte David type player, then it isn't a reach.  Also, the NFL Advisory Committee gave Lee a top 15 grade. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's not just about the QB, though.  They could have had their choice at WR too.

I would have preferred Doctsun or Treadwell, but not by a tremendous amount but  never... just no way to Lynch.  But I'm fine with the pick.  

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

This bothers me more than passing on the QB. I can live them passing on Lynch, but Lee needs to be very good to pass on some good WR's

these wrs are nothing special.  and after watching demario davis last year, i don't want to watch anyone like him in a jet uniform again.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Disagree.  Their offense is old as dirt and praying Devin Smith develops into something is silly.

praying Lynch develops into something is even sillier.

many are saying you could find a player similar in later rounds. Well they might have a qb in mind to take in later rounds that they feel is better than lynch. They might also like petty's development.  I think the front office and scouts know more about the players they want than most of the people here enamored by mock drafts that had lynch going to us. People here act like a kid on Christmas when they don't get the toy they wanted. Just relax and see how things unfold. ILB was a position of need and they perhaps had him as the best player on their board. Maybe if he was not there the next person on there board was a WR, they would probably have taken that instead. But like I said they know who they want and who is on top of their boards. Just accept that and move on. Many are letting their egos get in the way. But he did not take the guy I I I wanted.  Wait and see how they use him, wait and see what they do next before jumping off a bridge.

2 minutes ago, crayc said:

many are saying you could find a player similar in later rounds. Well they might have a qb in mind to take in later rounds that they feel is better than lynch. They might also like petty's development.  I think the front office and scouts no more about the players they want than most of the people here enamored by mock drafts that had lynch going to us. People here act like a kid on Christmas when they don't get the toy they wanted. Just relax and see how things unfold. ILB was a position of need and they perhaps had him as the best player on their board. Maybe if he was not there the next person on there board was a WR, they would probably have taken that instead. But like I said they know who they want and who is on top of their boards. Just accept that and move on. Many are letting their egos get in the way. But he did not take the guy I I I wanted.  Wait and see how they use him, wait and see what they do next before jumping off a bridge.

best post of the thread.  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I also think people just want to pick offense just to pick offense

Yes.  I know I do.  But I am willing to admit my bias and be reasonable in evaluating what the FO did yesterday. I would have preferred Doctsun right there, but I am just fine with Lee. I didn't get what I want, and I'm not having the hissy fits that you see a bunch of long time posters here.  

Wait till Paradis wakes up and chimes in.  Better put your hard hats on because the sh*t is about to come down even stronger.

Archived