Grade the Pick: Darron Lee

Sarge4Tide

Draft Grade  

141 members have voted

1. 1. I would give the Darron Lee pick a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:57 AM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

If you believe Bowles knows what he's doing and understands how to challenge spread offenses, you give it an A. If you think Paxton Lynch is the future, you give it a C.

If Paxton Lynch becomes Joe Flacco and Hackenberg becomes Brady Quinn, then its a D.  Not an F because Lee looks like he will contribute. But the repercussions of passing on Lynch could bite us in the butt and cement Mac's place alongside Tanny trading for Sanchez.    

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

If Paxton Lynch becomes Joe Flacco and Hackenberg becomes Brady Quinn, then its a D.  Not an F because Lee looks like he will contribute. But the repercussions of passing on Lynch could bite us in the butt and cement Mac's place alongside Tanny trading for Sanchez.    

If Hackenberg becomes Tom Brady and Lynch becomes Jeff George then it's an A+. Two can play this game

14 minutes ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Ray Lewis was not 6'1 when I saw him...

LEW562347.png

Ray Lewis  

Height: 6-1   Weight: 240 

I bet he wasn't. I saw Marvin Jones on 34th street when he was MLB for the jets and that dude is short.  They have listed at 6'2. No way is he taller than 6'0.  They list these guys bigger than they are actually are.  Lee looks like he's 5'10 - probably the shortest LB in NFL.  

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I bet he wasn't. I saw Marvin Jones on 34th street when he was MLB for the jets and that dude is short.  They have listed at 6'2. No way is he taller than 6'0.  They list these guys bigger than they are actually are.  Lee looks like he's 5'10 - probably the shortest LB in NFL.  

I don't know about that, but I do know Dree Brees a little and he is 5'10" MAX

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:39 AM, AFJF said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but in being objective, I put myself in the shoes of both parties.  One party was told he would be given a job that the going rate is $15 million a year for.  If there's any question as to whether or not that job is his, it hurts his bargaining power and gets him closer to reality.  I still think he's back and it may be a moot point in the end, but just wondering if the deal would already be done if not for naming him the starter.

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If Hackenberg becomes Tom Brady and Lynch becomes Jeff George then it's an A+. Two can play this game

All three of these guys except Hack were first rounders...not logical that Hack needs to be THAT guy. 

We got a great talent with our first round pick this year and took a chance with a second round potential QB.  Geno was a second rounder, if we took him in the first, that would have been an F!  Can you imagine if we took Dee first then Geno and passed on Sheldon...(shutter)

On April 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Saul Goodman said:

I think that their playing weights are significantly more than 230lbs (same with Bowman and Willis). Hope Lee can add some lean body mass, quick

10 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Uh, no.  He was measured at 6'0 3/4" without shoes at the Combine.

15 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I would guess they do that for everyone, not just the Jets players so he's probably not the shortest. 

I'm not too worried about the height of a MLB. Some of the best in history were considered too short. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

I would guess they do that for everyone, not just the Jets players so he's probably not the shortest. 

I'm not too worried about the height of a MLB. Some of the best in history were considered too short. 

Lee is about 6'1" without shoes and has long arms. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

That's comforting.  I will say he is a speed demon. I remember my chemistry teacher in high school saying he played LB.  He said 'While I am short, speed generates more centrifugal force and when I hit those guys they didn't think I was short' . 

The force responsible for the change in direction is called centripetal force. Centripetal force is necessary for an object to move with circular motion. The force that pulls out from the center on a body in circular motion is called centrifugal force and it increases with acceleration.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Exactly, how many screen plays did the Jets defense get burned on last year? Lee should make an immediate impact, plus he has an eye for the ball, pairing him with Pryor in the middle should be fun to watch for years, and if Taiwan Jones takes the next step they are set up for a while...

Our linebackers couldn't cover anyone last year.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Lee is 6'0" and 220 lbs.

Hell, faba has a more imposing physique than Lee.

So you're evaluating Linebackers now?    NFL had to ban you from predicting QB greatness of Brady's backups the same way some guys are prohibited from playing the Stock Market because it would affect the market?

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Lee is 6'0" and 220 lbs.

No, he's 6'1" and 233.

Pretty much the same as Shazier, Bobby Wagner and many other start linebackers. Your harping on his size is weak. Yawn.

Part of the NFL combine is they measure and weigh you in front of a bunch of NFL team reps in their underwear. You always read how combine participants feel super weird with the process.

He measured 6 feet and 6/10's inch. So they round that up to 6'1.

Weighed 232 lbs.

In his press conference he said he's now between 235 and 240 and wants to stay there. Bowles wants him to stay there too.

I think everyone should stop worrying about the height and weight and be impressed with speed and movement skills he has. It's also a misconception that he's fast because he is the size of a safety. That is false. He's faster and moves better than almost all the safetys who tested at that draft. He has rare movement and speed skills period.

5 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Lee is 6'0" and 220 lbs.

He's 6'0" 232 pounds, way too small to be playing in a 3-4. TX, you don't have to fib to get half the posters around here, just be honest to them, that likely pisses them off even worse. It's when you say dumb sh*t like this that people see through you for the lunatic you are.

He's 6'0" 232 pounds, way too small to be playing in a 3-4. TX, you don't have to fib to get half the posters around here, just be honest to them, that likely pisses them off even worse. It's when you say dumb sh*t like this that people see through you for the lunatic you are.

Maine, you nailed it the other night with you post comparing Lee to Vilma.

Lee will gets absolutely blown up in a 3-4 defense, just like Vilma did.

Square peg, round hole.

SOJ.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Square peg, round hole.

SOJ.

You realize you post like Donald Trump tweets, right?

Just watched Bama vs OSU game and focused on Lee

1st half  2 tackles

2nd half  5 tackles including a nice sack

Bama really giftwrapped this game as defense was terrible vs 3rd and long and had so many missed tackles on Cardale.

Lee had a decent game, but when Henry ran the ball, he was no where to be found. He had 3 nice plays at LOS, 2 on simms and 1 on cooper. I did not see a vicious sack artiste. I saw a decent OLB but he didnt stand out as a NFL star in making. He will not be a major factor on run defense.  I would not have drafted this player.

I heard the guy talk one time. He's highly intelligent. He might be the kind of player who can follow a scheme. He wasn't mentioned as a pick of ours before the draft because most experts had him going to Atlanta at 17. I think that Mac jumped on this guy when he was still on the board at 20.

29 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Square peg, round hole.

SOJ.

I'm assuming you're a Pats fan. Curious why you would care how Lee fits in the Jet Defense?

Arizona runs a 3-4

Deone Bucannon 2015 stats as MLB

112 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 pass defended, 1 pick, 3 forced fumbles

His draft profile

6'1, 211 lbs.  4.49 40.  19 reps bench.  36.5 vertical.  125 inch broad jump.  6.96 3 cone.  4.26 shuttle.  Drafted round 1, 27 overall.

Darron Lee

6'1, 232 lbs. 4.47 40.  17 reps bench.  35.5 vertical.  133 inch broad jump.  7.12 3 cone.  4.20 shuttle.  Drafted round 1, 20 overall.

Physical numbers aren't everything but am I missing something as far as height and weight as being a factor in Lee playing MLB in Bowles defense?

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Arizona runs a 3-4

Deone Bucannon 2015 stats as MLB

112 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 pass defended, 1 pick, 3 forced fumbles

His draft profile

6'1, 211 lbs.  4.49 40.  19 reps bench.  36.5 vertical.  125 inch broad jump.  6.96 3 cone.  4.26 shuttle.  Drafted round 1, 27 overall.

Darron Lee

6'1, 232 lbs. 4.47 40.  17 reps bench.  35.5 vertical.  133 inch broad jump.  7.12 3 cone.  4.20 shuttle.  Drafted round 1, 20 overall.

Physical numbers aren't everything but am I missing something as far as height and weight as being a factor in Lee playing MLB in Bowles defense?

Bucannon was drafted as a Safety not as a OLB.They moved him to linebacker as they had 2 safeties they liked johnson and Mathieu. Lee does not appear to me to be a great tackler. If saban had used Henry more, bama wins the game.  Do not see greatness for Lee. 

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

Bucannon was drafted as a Safety not as a OLB.They moved him to linebacker as they had 2 safeties they liked johnson and Mathieu. Lee does not appear to me to be a great tackler. If saban had used Henry more, bama wins the game.  Do not see greatness for Lee. 

confused. does this mean Buchanon was more ready to move to MLB because he was a college safety than Lee who was a college OLB?

Archived