Grade the Pick: Darron Lee

Sarge4Tide

Draft Grade  

141 members have voted

1. 1. I would give the Darron Lee pick a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

7 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

confused. does this mean Buchanon was more ready to move to MLB because he was a college safety than Lee who was a college OLB?

the point is deone was not drafted to play ILB, he could not beat out the safeties they had and used him at ILB after some injuries. He did well in their scheme. jets could have drafted Cravens in rd 2 and fill the same role imo

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, afosomf said:

the point is deone was not drafted to play ILB, he could not beat out the safeties they had and used him at ILB after some injuries. He did well in their scheme. jets could have drafted Cravens in rd 2 and fill the same role imo

I see.  But maybe Cravens can play the MLB and maybe Lee can play it at a much higher impactful level. Who knows.

The only point I was trying to make with the Buchanon comp is Lee is bigger and just as athletic. And they will end up playing the same position in the NFL and maybe the size concern is overblown

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

I see.  But maybe Cravens can play the MLB and maybe Lee can play it at a much higher impactful level. Who knows.

The only point I was trying to make with the Buchanon comp is Lee is bigger and just as athletic. And they will end up playing the same position in the NFL and maybe the size concern is overblown

I guess my point is, not sure this position is filled with a 1st rd player.  I watched bama game and he didnt look to me like an impact player. 

I think it was a great pick. I think when you look at his talents, size, etc you also look at the rest of our defense. We already have the big guys - the run stuffers - the heavy hitters. You can't have a bunch of hammers on defense, not the way these offenses are being run these days. I love the pick, I think he can grow to be more Jamie Collins type than Bucannon. 

12 minutes ago, afosomf said:

I guess my point is, not sure this position is filled with a 1st rd player.  I watched bama game and he didnt look to me like an impact player. 

thats cool. we dont need to agree. should be fun to watch it play out though. 

3 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I think it was a great pick. I think when you look at his talents, size, etc you also look at the rest of our defense. We already have the big guys - the run stuffers - the heavy hitters. You can't have a bunch of hammers on defense, not the way these offenses are being run these days. I love the pick, I think he can grow to be more Jamie Collins type than Bucannon. 

collins is 6 3  250   stop it 

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Collins is an All Pro LB.

You're comparing him to a shrimp LB the Jets just drafted?

Day and night,night and day all you do is ridicule and criticize the NY Jets here on a NY Jets message board. 

Are you for real. 

I SAY WE REVOLT and 50-100 of US join the Patriots message forum as PatsFanTX1,PatsFanTX2 etc and wreak some havoc!!!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, afosomf said:

collins is 6 3  250   stop it 

26 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Exact quote "I think he can grow to be more Jamie Collins type than Bucannon"

Do I say he is that now? No. 

Do I say he will be Jamie Collins? No. 

I said.  

[ I think he can be ]    Thats a future tense phrase

[More Jamie Collins type] That means more his style and more the way he contributes on the field

[THAN] thats a term used when speaking comparison- not to be confused with the word then

[Bucannon] thats the player I'm using as comparison 

When you look at the measurables Lee obviously more resembles Bucannon than Collins. But when you look at their roles in college Lee took on the roles that more resemble the roles Collins takes. So my hope is that he can continue down that path. Either way who the hell knows whats going to happen I'm just hoping here.

3 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Do I say he will Jamie Collins? No. 

I said.  Thats a future tense phrase

[More Jamie Collins type] That means more his style and more the way he contributes on the field

[THAN] thats a term used when speaking comparison- not to be confused with the word then

[Bucannon] thats the player I'm using as comparison 

When you look at the measurables Lee obviously more resembles Bucannon than Collins. But when you look at their roles in college Lee took on the roles that more resemble the roles Collins takes. So my hope is that he can continue down that path. Either way who the hell knows whats going to happen I'm just hoping here.

Here is the bama game condensed to 30 minutes, watch it and give me your honest opinion. All any of henry's runs do you see Lee making an impact? He made a nice sack on Simms, but he was unblocked. 

7 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Here is the bama game condensed to 30 minutes, watch it and give me your honest opinion. All any of henry's runs do you see Lee making an impact? He made a nice sack on Simms, but he was unblocked. 

Couple takeaways: (from my speed review of that video)

1. Damn Zeke Elliot is good (despite fumble)

2. Glad we didn't take Cardale Jones

3. This is a 2015 video of one game so I won't make too many assumptions

3A. You are correct. Lee does not impact the run game very well. That was his main weakness. I think Matt Miller said he tends to get "swallowed up by bigger lineman when playing the run." That seems to be consistent with whats on the tape here that you sent. But like I said in my original post - Our defense is a bunch of hammers. We have the run-stuffers, we've always been good against the run. What we haven't been good at is having LB who can cover well. Since the offenses are throwing the ball more now I think its important to have a guy like Lee. 

Maybe Jamie Collins isn't the best comp, but I don't think Bucannon is the right one either (not that you said Bucannon but seems like thats the comp people are leaning towards.) 

Do I say he will be Jamie Collins? No. 

I said.  

[ I think he can be ]    Thats a future tense phrase

[bucannon] thats the player I'm using as comparison 

Fair enough.

He's not a shrimp.  Given how things fell this was a great pick.  I hoped lynch would be there so we see what Mac thought of him.   If he was the pick I would have been syched becase I love his size and arm.  Passing on him means Mac didn't forsee the leadership, maturity or ability he needed to make the Lynch the pick.  I love that we will be able to shut down screens like we haven't seen.  My friend thought he would be the Dolphins pick.  Getting him at 20 was nice.  Oh, he's young and bright with low bust potential.  Lee's a 3 down player that will help a lot.  I can easily see him leading the team in tackles and becoming a fan favorite.  

I was was kind of meh when I heard the pick and wanted a more splashy name or one we bantered around more.  Now I relish learning what Mac saw in these guys.  

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Half a player can contribute more than the player the pats drafted in the first.  

One negative I saw on that tape was his lack of hustle, he gave up on SEVERAL plays that he might have prevented from going further... Hopefully that will not continue...This tape is of 2 yrs ago & I didn't see his play this season.

Lee is a new position, he's a cover linebacker, he's to small to play that David Harris run stuff Linebacker role.

He's all about covering Running backs, Tight ends, and slot guys. Since in the modern NFL most teams are in a sub package 80% of the time now. 

Lee is a new position, he's a cover linebacker, he's to small to play that David Harris run stuff Linebacker role.

He's all about covering Running backs, Tight ends, and slot guys. Since in the modern NFL most teams are in a sub package 80% of the time now. 

Some call the position the "moneybacker".

Not sure if Geno will ever go near him, last time money and linebacker were involved, it ended very badly for him!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Davis, who was our inside LB last year, was 6'2" 239lbs. Was he a shrimp? I never heard anyone complain about his size. Slug, yes, but not a shrimp.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Archived