**** OFFICIAL 2016 DRAFT: Round 2 + 3 discussion ****

Integrity28

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I also have to think Bill O'Brien told Macc about Hackenberg when he went to Houston. 

Hackenberg was very good under O'Brien.

His coaches switched and it screwed up his development

That's why he's a one-trick pony that can only throw darts?

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Take my cursing of fellow Jet fans with a grain of salt. I too have felt the pain for many years,

Understandable.  We all have.

I just like this regime

I do too, this pick nonwithstanding.

& believe they REALLY DO their homework unlike the past with guys like Bradway & Rex.

A fair point, but I suppose I just don't see what they see in games like Hack's 10 sack, 100 yard performance vs. Temple or his barely 50% comp. percentage, or his Ken O'Brian-like love of being sacked.

Be f*cking AWESOME if Hack turns into our future Franchise QB.

Agreed.  But if Lynch or Cook blow up, and Hack fails, Macc is done here.  It's a huge risk.

You just never know in this league but we were never going to find one if we kept ignoring the position. Now we have Petty & Hack going forward. Increases our chances & that's all we can ask.

I think picking Hack here shows us that Petty, in fact, is not considered to ever be starter worthy.  Dissapointed by that.

11 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This is quite the enlightening scouting report/film breakdown I've seen.  Its sort of brutal but in a very optimistic way though and why I'm super happy with the pick as I have faith in Macc and company.

This is interesting. Whats so funny about this video, right after the Jets picked Hack and the blood boil cooled down I went to draft breakdown. The first game is this temple game. The first thing that you notice is his presnap evaluation. The 2nd thing I noticed is that he does look the part. I paused the vs. Illinois game and happen to see the video that you just posted. Its a pretty optimistic approach. 

Great post. 

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Who are the big third round prospects we need to be looking for? My head is still spinning from the Hack attack

24.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true86. Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford, 6-3 ¾, 254 (4.72)

Hooper is a prospect comfortable in the passing game -- 34 catches in 2015, 42 catches in 2014 -- and who also played in Stanford's power run game.

Very empty feeling about picking Hackenberg but I was going to feel that way
about any QB we drafted.  Because in my mind there are no "can't miss" prospects
at the position.  Anyone we picked (Lynch, Hackenberg, Cook) was going to sit
for a year and go through "QB school".  So we weren't going to see a payoff 
until 2017 at the earliest.  As far as Hackenberg, I hope Maccagnan is right.
I did remember at Hackenberg's pro day Maccagnan was the closest executive to
him and watched every throw like a hawk.  I do trust Gailey's ability to develop
QB's (he's done it for his whole career) but he's got a ton of work ahead of him.
Hackenberg has the arm strength and measurables you look for but after his
freshman year his performance went into the toilet

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Then why didn't O'Brien draft Hackenberg?

because Brock has 4 years as an understudy and 2 under Mannig. And he played pretty damn well vs. Pats to get them in the playoffs. And he doesn't have to wait to groom Hackenburg either into the NFL. 

Here are my top 10 targets for the Jets in the 3rd  round

La'Raven Clark OL TTU

Christian Westerman G Arizona state 

Austin Hooper TE Stanford 

Jarrell Adams TE South Carolina 

Shon Coleman OL Auburn 

Shilque Calhoun DE/OLB Michigan State 

Jordan Jenkins LB UGA

Pharoah Cooper WR South Carolina 

Joe Dahl OL Washington State 

Kendall Fuller DB Virginia Tech 

47 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Cbs draft analysis gave this pick an A+

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

And to those who wonder about the Jets draft board according to Cimini the Jets board was as follows:

"They had Hackenberg rated higher than Paxton Lynch, whom they passed in the first round. Lynch was drafted by the Denver Broncos at pick No. 26."

Cook SUCKS. Thank God we didn't draft him. I would have not watched a single game.  Hack on the other hand...there's something I do like about him.  He  has a great arm, stands posied in the pocket, has good vision, and I feel really bad for him taking so much punishment at Penn State. I have never seen a QB get hit so hard so many times in my life and still get up smiling and get back at it.  Kid is resilient.

I'm pick greedy. Our 2nd round history is something I'm all too aware of... and yes, I totally know what  you're saying. If he's your guy, you take him. I get it. I just hoped we could get a few more mid-rounders somehow.

I'm actually quite happy with this draft so far. 

See I was right. You are smart. You're probably a guy that can equally enjoy a glass of Ommegang or Miller Lite in the proper setting. A real man of genius, mr hates and loves a Jets draft pick in the same moment guy.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Cook SUCKS. Thank God we didn't draft him. I would have not watched a single game.  Hack on the other hand...there's something I do like about him.  He  has a great arm, stands posied in the pocket, has good vision, and I feel really bad for him taking so much punishment at Penn State. I have never seen a QB get hit so hard so many times in my life and still get up smiling and get back at it.  Kid is resilient.

Greta arm, poor accuracy.  Stands in the pocket, gets sacked a ton.  Good vision, one his first read.  Watch the Temple game, and tell us he looks like a future franchise NFL QB.

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

That's one of the things Brady does that drives me nuts... he'll get walloped, and I'll think for sure he's done for the day, he gets up and smiles. Mother****er.

14 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you...I think if they sign Fitz now it would be a total waste.  You got 3 QBs on the roster, not a one of which is defined at this point...so, let them define themselves so we know where we stand NEXT year.

If they've made up their mind on Geno, then MAYBE sign Fitz and dump Geno...but since they can't or won't trade MO at this point, I think they're going with what's on the QB roster right now and putting Fitz's money toward Mo for the year.  And I'm OK with that.

They'll also have to add Breno money and some others to pay Mo and their draft picks.

Forget having money to sign some camp cuts as well

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Greta arm, poor accuracy.  Stands in the pocket, gets sacked a ton.  Good vision, one his first read.  Watch the Temple game, and tell us he looks like a future franchise NFL QB.

When he played with Allan Robinson a few years ago no one questioned his accuracy; amazing what a good receiver or two can do for a qb.  Also it is hard to be accurate when you are constantly rushing your throws or running for your life.  His lineman should have been arrested for assault. 

Just now, Warfish said:

Cmon, his OL was just putrid.  he is no RG# where he can escape 2, 3 guys coming at him. Who can really.  There is no QB that has ever played that can succeed without proper protection.  Even Russell Wilson, Kap, RG3 get knocked around.  THE OL is so often overlooked in football its a joke.  It really is the most important facet of a championship team.  It protecxts the QB, sustains the running game which dominates time of possession and keeps the defense off the field.  You can have a decent Qb and decent running game with a kick ass OL and you will WIN. 

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

When he played with Allan Robinson a few years ago no one questioned his accuracy; amazing what a good receiver or two can do for a qb.  Also it is hard to be accurate when you are constantly rushing your throws or running for your life.  His lineman should have been arrested for assault. 

So he just needs a fair chance.

SMH

Archived