**** OFFICIAL 2016 DRAFT: Round 2 + 3 discussion ****

Integrity28

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Great interview with Dan Patrick and Hackenberg.  Guys sooner or later you are going to get on the Hack Wagon; might as well do it now! 

Good interview, and I think I figured out why Macc likes him so much....I counted 4 or 5 "at the end of the day" comments from Hackenberg. ...we know that's Macc's favorite saying. Seems like a good kid....I'm still not a fan of the pick in the 2nd round though.  Hope I'm wrong. ... 

Jenkins, Georgia's Most Improved Player for the 2014 season (9.5 tackles for loss, five sacks), came out in a flash as a senior, racking up 11 tackles, 5.5 for loss and two sacks against Vanderbilt. Groin and hip injuries limited him throughout the year, however (59 tackles, 10.5 for loss, four sacks), keeping him off all-conference teams. Jenkins started six games as a true freshman(eight tackles for loss, five sacks) and earned second-team All-SEC honors as a sophomore (12 tackles for loss, five sacks) before truly coming into his own as a junior.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.77 seconds 
Vertical: 38 inches 
Broad jump: 10 feet, 3 inches 
Short shuttle: 4.32 seconds 
3-cone: 7.41 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Very aware of what is happening around him. Has a high football IQ and has understanding of down, distance and tendencies. Physical at the point of attack and sets a strong edge. Has desired thickness and play strength to hold up against NFL edge blockers and freakishly long arms and big hands for his size. Won’t sit on blocks and uses powerful hands to shed and get into the action. Has played standing and with a hand in the dirt and can handle himself in zone coverage. Team captain. Brings a pro-­ready play demeanor to the field each Saturday.

WEAKNESSES

Not a dynamic pass rusher. Has some knee stiffness in his rush and won’t “out-­athlete” many NFL tackles. Upright play limits his speed-­to-­power effectiveness as a bull-­rusher. Average upfield explosion off the snap. Did not impress against Alabama. Dealt with a nagging groin injury this season.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 2 or 3

SOURCES TELL US

"I think he's a plug-and-play second-rounder who can play in an odd or even front. He reminds me of the type of guy Ozzie (Newsome) looks for with his toughness." -- ­AFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Nick Perry

BOTTOM LINE

Three-year starter who has played both outside linebacker spots in the Bulldogs 3-­4 defense. With Jenkins length and outstanding power on the edge, he is a natural fit as an edge-­setting strongside 3­-4 outside linebacker in the pros. Jenkins may not be viewed as dangerous enough as a pass rusher to warrant a first round pick, but he’s a safe pick whose toughness and football IQ make him an early starter candidate.

Archived