Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

I've seen every game of Hacks college career and about 5-6 of his HS games.

Pretty much every response on here is accurate.

Hack is both the future of your franchise and the reason for people getting fired.

Because that exactly what happened at Penn State.

He really is a Dr Jekyll Mr Hide player. He's Aaron Rogers for 3 plays a game and Ryan Leaf for 3 plays a game and ok for the rest.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PennStFan said:

Hack is both the future of your franchise and the reason for people getting fired.

He really is a Dr Jekyll Mr Hide player. He's Aaron Rogers for 3 plays a game and Ryan Leaf for 3 plays a game and ok for the rest.

See if you tell me this about a 33 YO journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs and the team gives him 10+ million to start I want to puke.

BUT if you tell me this about a 21 YO kid who has had only 1 year of real coaching I get a tad excited. 

• Upvote 3

51st pick.

This organization has pissed away 2nd rounders for decades.  We're taking a shot at a franchise QB with the 51st pick, we don't have a great QB prospect, the guys paid to do this stuff obviously see the potential - I've really come around on this pick, it's worth a chance, especially at #51. 

Heck, considering the Vernon Gholston's and even Quinton Coples's of the draft it would've been worth the chance at #20.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hackenburg is much like another QB Mac had a hand in drafting when in houston, that being Tom Savage, essentially the same measurables, big arms and look like world beaters, the big difference is that Hackenburg did not transfer and savage did about 5 times oh and the fact that savage was drafted where he should have been drafted, in the 4th round and is still scrubbing around as a #3 guy years later.

Savage wasn't as highly touted a prospect as Hackenberg once was. He's a first round QB that took a hit because of a coaching/system change and the penn st program losing all their talent

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

See if you tell me this about a 33 YO journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs and the team gives him 10+ million to start I want to puke.

BUT if you tell me this about a 21 YO kid who has had only 1 year of real coaching I get a tad excited. 

The biggest concern is have for him is his touch. I don't think you learn how to have touch. I think he will get the coaching he needs to get his footwork up to speed. I think he will learn the nuances of the position at the highest level. I think youll see him make a deep throw that just amazes you. I just don't think he's going to be able to softly place the ball when that's the throw that's needed. And I fear that that throw is needed in the NFL much more than in HS or college, because there isn't one time he was ever able to make that throw.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PennStFan said:

The biggest concern is have for him is his touch. I don't think you learn how to have touch. I think he will get the coaching he needs to get his footwork up to speed. I think he will learn the nuances of the position at the highest level. I think youll see him make a deep throw that just amazes you. I just don't think he's going to be able to softly place the ball when that's the throw that's needed. And I fear that that throw is needed in the NFL much more than in HS or college, because there isn't one time he was ever able to make that throw.

This is actually an excellent point ......

Touch is so important in the NFL.  In many ways that was the thing that doomed Sanchez more than anything else that he was experiencing out there on the field, his in ability to hit that short screen pass or touch pass was what often set us back.

So based on what you wrote, do you see Hack being serviceable as a QB?

Thank you

45 minutes ago, PennStFan said:

Not under O'Brien running a pro offense. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Hackenburg is much like another QB Mac had a hand in drafting when in houston, that being Tom Savage, essentially the same measurables, big arms and look like world beaters, the big difference is that Hackenburg did not transfer and savage did about 5 times oh and the fact that savage was drafted where he should have been drafted, in the 4th round and is still scrubbing around as a #3 guy years later.

Savage was a scrub, never will be QB who if you got lucky could develop into a 3rd or 2nd string QB.  Hackenberg was top of the food chain, number 1 guy coming out of HS and after his freshman year.  His fall is credited to a coaching change.  savage never had a chance to be a starter.

• Upvote 2

Just now, PennStFan said:

Actually very much so. There seems to be quite a bit of revisionist history on hacks freshman year. He did not regress like many people easily claim. He just never developed beyond the day he showed up on campus. He was physically ready to play day one, and he played ok his freshman season. He had one very good game that year (Wisconsin). Every single other game had the same mix of nice throws and major head scratchers. He locked in on Allen Robinson (hard to blame him) nearly every game. But even his second best game that year, vs Mich he was pretty below average for 90% of the game and then a great play by Hack on one drive and another circus catch by Robinson on another.

But it was still heavily up and down every game, but because he was 18 years old with the sky being the future, you just felt great about it.

He did the same things the next 2 seasons, minus the NFL offensive line and Allen Robinson.

He didn't regress. Stayed the same. Couple pro throws, a few drive ending overthrown 90mph fastballs to guys 5 feet away. And so inconsistent ok stuff in between.

Ok, go back to Pa, bullshlt

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is actually an excellent point ......

Touch is so important in the NFL.  In many ways that was the thing that doomed Sanchez more than anything else that he was experiencing out there on the field, his in ability to hit that short screen pass or touch pass was what often set us back.

So based on what you wrote, do you see Hack being serviceable as a QB?

Thank you

Unfortunately, I don't think he will be a servicable qb in the NFL. He looks the part so much that he's been afforded some great opportunities. I think he prepares and works at it and is a great teammate. But at the end of the day, with millions of dollars riding on the line, I think the real time speed of the game and the short windows that require touch and timing will be what the coaches will realize he can't make up for with any level of preparation.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

And I can't take anyone seriously who honestly wants to trade for Mike Glennon. A guy who had no demand, and played on the same team that made Josh Freeman look like a starting qb in the NFL, discounting the fact that he got straight benched for McCown. As for Hackenberg, I've probably watched more tape on him then you have, considering I was on here last year arguing with people who thought he was going to be a first round pick. Nonetheless, shouldn't you go campaigning for Sanchize to be our starter, I seem to recall you loving the sh*t out of him last time we argued on a qb.

Edit: Also gotta love how you consider a two time 1,000 yard receiver who is only 22 to be a sh*t weapon.

Yet, no one stopped an asked you your opinion on the matter. Go watch games before you comment on someone. And yeah, you probably did watch more tape of Hackenberg than I did, but you dont see me making stupid comments about a player I dont know much about either. 

And the fact that you got "Evans is a sh*t weapon" based on my statement further confirms that you didnt watch Glennon games, because if you did you would have known that the reason I even said it is because out of Mike Glennon's 19 games he's only played 5 with Evans which means that the MAJORITY OF HIS GAMES (75%) werent with Mike Evans....though people who havent watched his games continue to make the illinformed remarks such as "Take note, he had all these weaponzzz". However what they dont mention is how in the first three games of that season as a rookie Evans avg. less than 50 yards a game and 0 TD's with McCown, when McCown got hurt Glennon replaced him and Evans immediately averaged 1TD per game for those 5 games they played, not to mention earning his first games with over 100 yards receiving as well as his first multi TD game. 

Go have a seat somewhere, watch some tape of the player you're commenting on and stop assuming so much while telling people more informed than you to "take note". Stick to Christian Hackenberg since you've actually watched his games (allegedly).  

You dont like the thought of Glennon, cool....but your schooling approach was exposed. No need to respond with damage controlling. Glennon isnt the QB and my original statement was a joke. I'll be leave this conversation here, unless you go watch his games. Then we can actually talk about note taking.  

15 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. Totally. Good thing pass rush, dropped balls, and batted balls don't happen in the NFL. 

"Pro ready" QBs don't have to sit a year minimum. That's not how that works. 

You should really go watch the first game Andrew Luck played against a Rex Jets team and see if you feel that would happen again now. 

30 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

You should really go watch the first game Andrew Luck played against a Rex Jets team and see if you feel that would happen again now. 

You should really watch one Andrew Luck game in college before making such a ridiculous comparison.

We can even play the gif game if you want.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Losing, alot. 

2. Losing the locker room and veterans.

3. Admitted a wasted 4th rounder in Petty, so much so he doesn't deserve to compete.

4. Losing, did I mention that?

5. Hack can't take the pressure, isn't ready, and in losing, badly, becomes a wasted pick himself, out of the league by year 3.

On the positive side, Jets would get a very high draft pick potentially.

That's the possible downside.

All of your points above could apply to Geno and Petty as well.

The downside is no greater with Hack than it is with Geno and Petty.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As I a Penn Strate guy, I obviously have a lot of opinions on Hack. They are obviously subjective (but I won't go Crazy Carl subjective on you), and they come from a novice's perspective. Just like everyone else on this board. And without a crystal ball. 

-If it is one thing the tI believe that I have witnessed over the past decade in the NFL, it is that "character" does matter at the NFL qb position. It helps determine ethic and habits (witness Geno in the past 2 years, for character NOT to have). 

Know one thing about Hackenberg, He was the TOP qb recruit coming into PSU. His commitment came months before the Sandusky sanctions broke. There were others in that class that decided to bail on PSU. There were others that did not want to hold up to a commitment, in the face of what was going to be a difficult situation. 

Hackenberg held strong. He did not waiver. And many schools came calling, trying to convince hime he was walking into an impossible situation, and he was. That counts.

-PSU's offensive coordinator under Franklin, John Donovan, may have been the most inept play caller that I have ever witnessed. Remember when we were able to predict play calls under Edwards regime? That is what the PSU offense has been like the past 2 years (thankfully, Donovan has been fired).

The "go to" staple for Donovan was the flanker bubble screen, with the WR at or behind the line of scrimmage. So you have a qb with a rocket arm, and what is your "go to" play? The bubble screen? They tried to substitute it as a run game compliment , with the Oline being so bad. But it was a mess. It did not compliment Hack's skill set.

-If you want to talk about performing in the clutch, Hackenberg has many flashes of that. Check when he was a freshman under O'Brien. Look at how many times they went on it on 4th down. And we are not talking about 4th and inches many of the times. And the player pulling the trigger on those plays and making them work was Hack, as a Freshman. 

Check the plays of the 4th quarter of the Pinstripe Bowl 2 years ago when PSU rallied from several scores down to win in OT. Check the final drive to tie Michigan his Freshman year to send the game to OT, and ultimately win. If you want "flashes" of what can be, those should be your starting points.

-As many have noted, the O-line was abysmal. PSU had 7 commits on the O-line the last 2 years, while most schools have an average of 17. They were converting D-linemen into O-line just to field a squad. If that does not make you spooked at the qb position, nothing will, Remember, the sanctions at PSU were meant to cripple the program, and many called it worse than the death penalty. One of the reasons that the program was not crippled is Hack at qb.

As well, as soon as Allan Robinson left, Hack lost his security blanket. All that were left were freshman (true freshman) and sophomores at the skill position. There was a not anyone that Hack could lean on regularly.

Hey, there are many things that need polish in his game, not unlike all abs coming out of college. But he thrived under a complex O'Brien scheme, and O'Brien did not have any reins on him. That should tell you something. Is it a guarantee he becomes a HOF? Of course not. But anybody sitting here in a jet forum telling you know what can happen in the future of a college athlete is blowing smoke, along with maybe some other things.

A lot of the boxes are checked for Hack as a pro style qb. A lot are in completes. But, I for one am glad they took that chance and feel the gamble is worth it. And this is not CrazyCarl talking.

Been waiting for you to chime in as a PSU guy, was very curious about your thoughts. One of my best friends is a PSU alum and one of the biggest fans I know, as soon as I heard the Jets were said to have interest in Hackenberg, I asked him his opinions, and he felt very similar to you. The bottom line is every QB is somewhat of a crapshoot, hell, every pick is. We are talking about projection here, and football is probably the hardest of the 4 big sports to project, and QB the hardest position to project. He is well worth a late 2nd round pick. If he doesn't pan out, we try again. I watched most of his games the pasts 4 years and ignoring the situation he was in and blindly looking at stats and results is foolish. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Been waiting for you to chime in as a PSU guy, was very curious about your thoughts. One of my best friends is a PSU alum and one of the biggest fans I know, as soon as I heard the Jets were said to have interest in Hackenberg, I asked him his opinions, and he felt very similar to you. The bottom line is every QB is somewhat of a crapshoot, hell, every pick is. We are talking about projection here, and football is probably the hardest of the 4 big sports to project, and QB the hardest position to project. He is well worth a late 2nd round pick. If he doesn't pan out, we try again. I watched most of his games the pasts 4 years and ignoring the situation he was in and blindly looking at stats and results is foolish. 

I was in the Poconos this weekend, looking at my oldest son's college, so I was not able to chime in. 

The most visible thing to notice about Hackenberg is the arm strength. You watch him warm up in the stadium (and you have to be in the stadium to see this), he is out gunning the other qbs by leaps and bound. It is so noticeable. It is like watching a HS pitcher warm up along side a pro pitcher in differential. Of course, that alone does not a pro qb make.

I have an admitted man-crush on Bill O'Brien. He save the program, and I think he is a brilliant football mind. He made Hackenberg his starter as a true freshman. He did not dummy down his play book. he trusted him in pressure situations. For me, that is all I need to know in terms of pedigree.

Hopefully. Gailey can pick it up from there

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Made when no one was within 5 yards of him in the pocket, and no one within five yards of his receiver.  

But it was a nice throw, yes.

Yeah, it's weird, most QB's deliver nice throws when there is a clean pocket.  Ever see Tom Brady's accuracy when he's got pressure in his face?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As I a Penn Strate guy, I obviously have a lot of opinions on Hack. They are obviously subjective (but I won't go Crazy Carl subjective on you), and they come from a novice's perspective. Just like everyone else on this board. And without a crystal ball. 

-If it is one thing the tI believe that I have witnessed over the past decade in the NFL, it is that "character" does matter at the NFL qb position. It helps determine ethic and habits (witness Geno in the past 2 years, for character NOT to have). 

Know one thing about Hackenberg, He was the TOP qb recruit coming into PSU. His commitment came months before the Sandusky sanctions broke. There were others in that class that decided to bail on PSU. There were others that did not want to hold up to a commitment, in the face of what was going to be a difficult situation. 

Hackenberg held strong. He did not waiver. And many schools came calling, trying to convince hime he was walking into an impossible situation, and he was. That counts.

-PSU's offensive coordinator under Franklin, John Donovan, may have been the most inept play caller that I have ever witnessed. Remember when we were able to predict play calls under Edwards regime? That is what the PSU offense has been like the past 2 years (thankfully, Donovan has been fired).

The "go to" staple for Donovan was the flanker bubble screen, with the WR at or behind the line of scrimmage. So you have a qb with a rocket arm, and what is your "go to" play? The bubble screen? They tried to substitute it as a run game compliment , with the Oline being so bad. But it was a mess. It did not compliment Hack's skill set.

-If you want to talk about performing in the clutch, Hackenberg has many flashes of that. Check when he was a freshman under O'Brien. Look at how many times they went on it on 4th down. And we are not talking about 4th and inches many of the times. And the player pulling the trigger on those plays and making them work was Hack, as a Freshman. 

Check the plays of the 4th quarter of the Pinstripe Bowl 2 years ago when PSU rallied from several scores down to win in OT. Check the final drive to tie Michigan his Freshman year to send the game to OT, and ultimately win. If you want "flashes" of what can be, those should be your starting points.

-As many have noted, the O-line was abysmal. PSU had 7 commits on the O-line the last 2 years, while most schools have an average of 17. They were converting D-linemen into O-line just to field a squad. If that does not make you spooked at the qb position, nothing will, Remember, the sanctions at PSU were meant to cripple the program, and many called it worse than the death penalty. One of the reasons that the program was not crippled is Hack at qb.

As well, as soon as Allan Robinson left, Hack lost his security blanket. All that were left were freshman (true freshman) and sophomores at the skill position. There was a not anyone that Hack could lean on regularly.

Hey, there are many things that need polish in his game, not unlike all abs coming out of college. But he thrived under a complex O'Brien scheme, and O'Brien did not have any reins on him. That should tell you something. Is it a guarantee he becomes a HOF? Of course not. But anybody sitting here in a jet forum telling you know what can happen in the future of a college athlete is blowing smoke, along with maybe some other things.

A lot of the boxes are checked for Hack as a pro style qb. A lot are in completes. But, I for one am glad they took that chance and feel the gamble is worth it. And this is not CrazyCarl talking.

Hot takes, CrazyScott14

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, PennStFan said:

So I guess this isn't going to be a conversation based on "things that happened"? 

It's very easy to just say he was amazing his freshman year.

They were 7-5. He had less than 60% comp rate. He was inconsistent nearly every game. Yet all understandable for an 18yr old kid. The building block of the next three years. The future was bright.

But dont kid yourself if you take that year as anything but a promising year, you're crazy. That year, by itself, is not the proof of a starting NFL QB.

Hacks problems remained the same. He wanted to throw deep as much as possible because his shorter throws were erratic. He did not take anything off of them. Still doesnt. 

The change of offense to a more passing control offense exposed his flaws more that OBs play action deeper throws. Unfortunately, the OL in his last 2 years did not allow for very much down the field passing.

Had OBRIEN stayed Hacks numbers would have been better but his weaknesses would have been covered up. You can't teach touch. He doesn't have it. Unfortunately you will notice this in preseason this summer.

Yes but Mark Sanchez loss back to back AFC championships with no touch on the ball.  So we got that.  The good old days. 

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I was in the Poconos this weekend, looking at my oldest son's college, so I was not able to chime in. 

The most visible thing to notice about Hackenberg is the arm strength. You watch him warm up in the stadium (and you have to be in the stadium to see this), he is out gunning the other qbs by leaps and bound. It is so noticeable. It is like watching a HS pitcher warm up along side a pro pitcher in differential. Of course, that alone does not a pro qb make.

I have an admitted man-crush on Bill O'Brien. He save the program, and I think he is a brilliant football mind. He made Hackenberg his starter as a true freshman. He did not dummy down his play book. he trusted him in pressure situations. For me, that is all I need to know in terms of pedigree.

Hopefully. Gailey can pick it up from there

O'Brien also elected to give Brock Osweiler $18 mil per instead of drafting Hackenberg, then passed on Hackenberg in the second.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

O'Brien also elected to give Brock Osweiler $18 mil per instead of drafting Hackenberg, then passed on Hackenberg in the second.

Well this was a softball.

O'Brien is in a win NOW mode. His team, beside the qb position, is constructed to go all in immediately. As in the next year or 2. That is not what the window is for Hackenberg. He will not win today in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well this was a softball.

O'Brien is in a win NOW mode. His team, beside the qb position, is constructed to go all in immediately. As in the next year or 2. That is not what the window is for Hackenberg. He will not win today in the NFL. 

But Brock Osweiler?